Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited September 2014
    DAR said:

Not liking the Incredibles is like not liking oxygen

EDIT FOR THOSE WHO WEREN'T AWARE THIS IS NOT A FACTUALLY BASED:

I hear that rhetoric whenever I mention the Beatles are IN MY FUCKING, AGAINST THE GRAIN, NOT TOEING THE LINE, STANDING NEARLY ALONE OPINION an average quality band, too.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

DAR said:

I hear that rhetoric whenever I mention the Beatles are an average quality band, too.

M
    I don't care much for them. Yay, now I won't be stoned alone :p

• Options
    I saw the movie the other day. It was hilarious, and I loved the action. I can't believe they crammed so much into this movie.

Winter soldier is still above it to me, but that's no slight against guardians. It was still a fun, fun movie.
  • Options

Matt said:

DAR said:

I hear that rhetoric whenever I mention the Beatles are an average quality band, too.

M

Worry not. There are more of us then you'd think.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

"But you're a dj! How can you not appreciate them?" Is what I hear a bunch.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

Not appreciating The Beatles is simply matter of taste. (or a lack thereof... ;) )

Dismissing them as an "average band" says "My opinion is the only thing that matters, reality be damned."

I am more grateful than ever that I don't live in Mattlandia.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

Not appreciating The Beatles is simply matter of taste. (or a lack thereof... ;) )

Dismissing them as an "average band" says "My opinion is the only thing that matters, reality be damned."

Only...I never said my opinion is the only one that matters. I find, for myself, they don't live up to the hype people give them.

I feel the same about various movies, such as Wall Street, Dirty Harry, Scarface, & Apocalypse, Now. That doesn't mean any of them suck or people shouldn't like them a lot, just that when I first watched them, they didn't seem any special then other movies I've seen.

I've never agreed with the concept of bringing grossly undertrained children in combat. As I get older, I really don't care for this notion where a little kid saves his/her parents & the day. Add in the animation style I don't care for, and you've got some of the primary reasons I am not a fan of the Incredibles.

Nice try, though. I enjoy this label of aggrogance because I don't toe the line & conform with the masses. Well done.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

Only...I never said my opinion is the only one that matters. I find, for myself, they don't live up to the hype people give them.

I feel the same about various movies, such as Wall Street, Dirty Harry, Scarface, & Apocalypse, Now. That doesn't mean any of them suck or people shouldn't like them a lot, just that when I first watched them, they didn't seem any special then other movies I've seen.

Nice try, though. I enjoy this label of aggrogance because I don't toe the line & conform with the masses. Well done.

M
    You said "the Beatles are an average quality band" (emphasis added)

Not "I consider" or "I believe" or "I think" you said "are".

It's right up there, look.

When you present your opinion as fact, without using any of the numerous methods our language contains for indicating opinion*, you come across not as arrogant, but as egocentric.

*Feel free to dig around and find examples of me doing the same thing. I'm sure I have done so occasionally. But not habitually.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

M

When you present your opinion as fact, without using any of the numerous methods our language contains for indicating opinion*, you come across not as arrogant, but as egocentric.

*Feel free to dig around and find examples of me doing the same thing. I'm sure I have done so occasionally. But not habitually.
    Then you're misinterpreting the statement. If I intended to present my opinion as fact, I would've referenced something to show it as a fact. At the very least, I would have added a BS question to present what I was saying as fact. I did neither.

It is one of the many OPINIONS (emphasis is mine) that I have that few share. I will be sure to add "in my opinion" in front of all my posts for here forward.

M
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

M

Then you're misinterpreting the statement. If I intended to present my opinion as fact, I would've referenced something to show it as a fact. At the very least, I would have added a BS question to present what I was saying as fact. I did neither.

It is one of the many OPINIONS (emphasis is mine) that I have that few share. I will be sure to add "in my opinion" in front of all my posts for here forward.

M
    IN MY OPINION, then you're misinterpreting the statement. If I intended to present my opinion as fact, I would've referenced something to show it as a fact. At the very least, I would have added a BS question to present what I was saying as fact. I did neither.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

I will be sure to add "in my opinion" in front of all my posts for here forward.

M

That's one way of doing it, I suppose...

=))
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

Dirty Harry and Scarface are pure exploitation films, and in my opinion, any artistic merit they may have had is purely accidental. Dirty Harry was even marketed as exploitation at the time, feeding into the "criminals have taken over the country" feeling people had in the late 60's/early 70's which led to a whole genre of vigilante justice stuff like Death Wish, the Punisher, the entire publishing line of Pinnacle books, etc...

And, IMHO, Scarface was a hacky remake of the 1932 original and the moment from Al Pancino quit being a an actor to pay any attention to.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    For all the love it gets, Scarface is a terrible movie. It's a fun movie, and I've watched it several times, but I don't see how anyone can watch it with an even slightly critical eye and deny that it's anything other than a badly made film. I've seen exploitation films with little to no budget do a better job than Scarface. I actually place it in the same category as films like "The Room" - so bad it's good. And a middle-aged Al Pacino as a young Cuban crime lord? How did that ever get taken seriously?

The last time we watched it, I pointed out to my wife that if I were to pause at the spot where Tony Montana and his wedding guests all stroll down the yard to admire his pet tiger, the film would have a wacky, happy ending. That's how I like to pretend it actually ends these days.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

M

M

I suppose the Beatles are my Howard Chaykin. I can respect what they've done foe their respective worlds but I don't have to like it.
  • Options
    I love that dude.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Not a fan of the dancing in these movies...at all.

Because nobody ever dances in real life.
    At a wedding & reception. One slow dance with the wife; obligation upheld. Remaining 5 hours running through tactical procedures, escape & combat scenarios, & a couple drinks.

A man's got to know his limitations!

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

At a wedding & reception. One slow dance with the wife; obligation upheld. Remaining 5 hours running through tactical procedures, escape & combat scenarios, & a couple drinks.

M
    Have the drinks first and you might dance more.
    :)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M
    Have the drinks first and you might dance more.
    :)
    I had drinks throughout the night...that doesn't change me!!

M
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Do you like to gigs @Matt‌? I'm not a big dancer, but you put me at the right gig and I'll dance/mosh til I drop.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    luke52 said:

Do you like to gigs @Matt‌? I'm not a big dancer, but you put me at the right gig and I'll dance/mosh til I drop.

It was good. There was even a couple line dancing. Dancing just isn't my thing.

M
  • Options
    http://comicbook.com/2014/09/25/guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtrack-has-been-certified-gold-with-/

we're going to be seeing a lot more movies with awesome soundtracks going forward!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    bamfbamf said:

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/25/guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtrack-has-been-certified-gold-with-/

we're going to be seeing a lot more movies with awesome soundtracks going forward!

One of George Lucas' largely-forgotten pre-Star Wars creations was the mix-tape style movie soundtrack which he used for American Graffiti.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

bamfbamf said:

One of George Lucas' largely-forgotten pre-Star Wars creations was the mix-tape style movie soundtrack which he used American Graffiti.
    Agreed. And it was Stand By Me and the soundtrack record, that introduced me to Ben E. King and some other greats as a kid.

Even if most soundtracks, especially of older material, don't pop as big as Guardians, getting your music on the soundtrack of a commercial film is, and has long been, maybe going all the way back to The Graduate, a great chance for exposure, and sometimes a big payday.

I heard an interview recently-- I forget if it was WITH Nick Lowe, or someone just telling this story about him-- about how someone else doing his song "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace Love and Understanding" which was a deep cut on the soundtrack for The Bodyguard, which sold a ba-jillion copies or so thanks to the breakout Whitney Houston song, made Nick Lowe the best money of his career.
  • Options
    wasnt sure where to put this... but Chris Pratt apparently had a great night on SNL..

http://www.slashfilm.com/snl-marvel-trailer-parody/
  • Options
    I would happily go see Marvel's Fancy Ghosts.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    A special edition vinyl release of the soundtrack from Mondo. Already have the vinyl deluxe edition. Not dropping another $50 for this one.