Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

David_D said:

@DoctorDoom‌ have you done the latest Walking Dead book yet? I know I shouldn't, as I felt duped by those last two. . . but I also feel myself getting sucked towards it.

Latest book, @David_D? You mean the Fall of the Governor, part 2?

To quote myself: "It wasn't bad, and actually went beyond the, well, fall of the Governor. You get a peek at what became of Woodbury."
    Thanks-- no, I caved and did that one. I was wondering if you have listened to this one yet:

I....missed that one.

Is this the sign that you have hit Peak Zombie?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    David_D said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

@DoctorDoom‌ have you done the latest Walking Dead book yet? I know I shouldn't, as I felt duped by those last two. . . but I also feel myself getting sucked towards it.

To quote myself: "It wasn't bad, and actually went beyond the, well, fall of the Governor. You get a peek at what became of Woodbury."
    Thanks-- no, I caved and did that one. I was wondering if you have listened to this one yet:

I....missed that one.

I several audiobooks to get through. Some are bound to slip through the cracks!

Just saw the summary. Lily is the main character. I'm gonna listen to it no matter what. But do you really need that in your life? ;)
  • Options

David_D said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

I....missed that one.

I several audiobooks to get through. Some are bound to slip through the cracks!

Just saw the summary. Lily is the main character. I'm gonna listen to it no matter what. But do you really need that in your life? ;)
    I know, right? I don't know why I keep trying to talk myself into it. I sort of hate-listened to those last two just to finish the last series. And then I think, "But, it's Halloween. . ." or "Maybe this time Bonasigna gets to do his own thing without Kirkman and it'll be better. . ." and then I just kept waiting for you to talk about it, and say if it is good or not, because I need you on that wall. And where were you??
  • Options
    I'll tell you what. Listen to stuff you enjoy. Let me be your buffer. I'll get on it this week!

If I say to avoid it, you know it's a pile of dog turds.

Hell, if I only say "it's okay", you should do other things.
  • Options
    Also, Graphic Audio is doing the Death of Captain America. That'll be something I'm looking forward to. But there's one other thing that caught my eye:

"GraphicAudio's 1st Graphic Novel Adaptation is a New Audio Experience You Don't Want To Miss!"

They are adapting straight up graphic novels now.

Will we finally see Green Lantern Rebirth, The Sinestro Corps War, or Blackest Night?

Ooooooor maybe The Return of Bruce Wayne.

Or Secret Invasion?
  • Options

I'll tell you what. Listen to stuff you enjoy. Let me be your buffer. I'll get on it this week!

My faith is restored. The world didn't make sense when a Walking Dead book was out, and you were busy listening to the Graphic Audio adaptation of Contest of Champions or some damn thing.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Audible had The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving free a while back. Read By Tom Mison. not sure if it is still free but it was a good listen.

Ben Stiller reading The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was another promo.
  • Options
    David_D said:

My faith is restored. The world didn't make sense when a Walking Dead book was out, and you were busy listening to the Graphic Audio adaptation of Contest of Champions or some damn thing.
    Hey! You're saying you wouldn't listen to an adaptation of Contest of Champions?
    random73 said:

Audible had The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving free a while back. Read By Tom Mison. not sure if it is still free but it was a good listen.

Ben Stiller reading The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was another promo.

Awesome finds!
  • Options

I re-listened to this.

I like that Barry Allen is the narrator, and takes us all around the multiverse. Overall, I enjoyed it. Also, they really made me like Alexander Luthor. Also, there Anti-Monitors voice is awesome.

Some of my problems?

- Constant jumping around in time.

- No all-out villains attacking the multiverse, and their assault on Oa isn't shown.

- There's no Superboy-Prime

- There's a different ending.

The last two things make things a bit harder to reconcile with Infinite Crisis. But I imagine this novel was written before IC, and thus, Graphic Audio has to work with what they are given.

Yeah, the original novel came out in 2005, written by Marv Wolfman (who had also written the original comic mini-series twenty years earlier). My sense of the novel was that he had to condense some material and skip other things entirely in order to make it fit (and work) in a prose format. Also to have it make sense to a non-comics fan who might get lost in all of the references. I thought the novel was okay, if not great in the same sense the original event was.

I remember having similar problems with the novelization of the Death Of Superman story by Roger Stern – there was just too much to bring to the novel and I thought it suffered from that lack... but I could understand why a lot of the original story (involving carry-over plotlines from previous stories, and the immense number of guest stars) was trimmed out.

A much better novelization was Denny O’Neil’s adaptation of Knightfall, which initially confronts some of the same problems but somehow manages to succeed in spite of them. He also changes the ending, but for a self-contained novel, it works. (Both of these novels were dramatized, incidentally, years ago for the BBC and were released here in the States through WB’s Audio Books imprint. The Superman Lives! audiobook is especially awesome.)

• Options

I re-listened to this.

I like that Barry Allen is the narrator, and takes us all around the multiverse. Overall, I enjoyed it. Also, they really made me like Alexander Luthor. Also, there Anti-Monitors voice is awesome.

Some of my problems?

- Constant jumping around in time.

- No all-out villains attacking the multiverse, and their assault on Oa isn't shown.

- There's no Superboy-Prime

- There's a different ending.

The last two things make things a bit harder to reconcile with Infinite Crisis. But I imagine this novel was written before IC, and thus, Graphic Audio has to work with what they are given.

Yeah, the original novel came out in 2005, written by Marv Wolfman (who had also written the original comic mini-series twenty years earlier). My sense of the novel was that he had to condense some material and skip other things entirely in order to make it fit (and work) in a prose format. Also to have it make sense to a non-comics fan who might get lost in all of the references. I thought the novel was okay, if not great in the same sense the original event was.

I remember having similar problems with the novelization of the Death Of Superman story by Roger Stern – there was just too much to bring to the novel and I thought it suffered from that lack... but I could understand why a lot of the original story (involving carry-over plotlines from previous stories, and the immense number of guest stars) was trimmed out.

A much better novelization was Denny O’Neil’s adaptation of Knightfall, which initially confronts some of the same problems but somehow manages to succeed in spite of them. He also changes the ending, but for a self-contained novel, it works. (Both of these novels were dramatized, incidentally, years ago for the BBC and were released here in the States through WB’s Audio Books imprint. The Superman Lives! audiobook is especially awesome.)

Knightfall was awesome, and with no narration either!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Catch-up time. This was from the past Summer -

11-22-63 - by Stephen King

This was surprisingly really good. And it actually avoids some of the more annoying tropes while fleshing out others in a cool way.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    New Avengers - Breakout

I haven't read the original in years, but this was okay, once I got over the changes. (Scarlet Witch went crazy, but Hawkeye is still alive. Black Widow is *just* defecting to the U.S.)

There's other stuff, but I'll leave it to you guys if you want to see what's up.
  • Options

Catch-up time. This was from the past Summer -

11-22-63 - by Stephen King

This was surprisingly really good. And it actually avoids some of the more annoying tropes while fleshing out others in a cool way.

Agreed. One of my favorites from King. And really worked well as audio.
  • Options
    Honestly, David, this shocked the hell out of me by being as good as it was.

Not that I don't trust King, but this is the first book that wasn't action or zombies that made me sit at the edge and wonder what he hell was going to happen next.
  • Options
    Last catch-up: Joe Ledger: Special Ops by Johnathan Maberry.

I love the Joe Ledger series. Love it. I got into them because it kicked off with a secret government tactical team versus zombies. Each novel is a different, far out threat.

This one? It's a collection of short stories. And if you liked his previous ones, then its well worth your time.
  • Options
    And @David_D, guess what I'm currently listening to? :)
  • Options

Excellent! I look forward to your report.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I think I look forward to giving it?

Vague spoilers/character descriptions allowed?
  • Options

David_D said:

Fine by me! I would just ask that you give fair warning, in case others want to avoid them. But I know you'd do that anyway.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Fine by me! I would just ask that you give fair warning, in case others want to avoid them. But I know you'd do that anyway.
    He'll, I'd do spoiler tags for them if I remembered how.
  • Options
    @David_D‌

The Walking Dead: Descent by Jay Bonansinga

I gave this book credit at the beginning, and even the middle. A lot of that credit got taken away in the Final Act.

There were.... certain character types that I was sure I knew what was going to happen in the beginning. Then the book flipped on me by not having these characters go down the routes I thought they would.

And then reality ensued and things went a lot like I thought they would. Frustrating.

I did like the ending. I liked the beginning. But that third act....

I can be slightly more specific if you want.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    humblebundle has a lot of YA audiobooks on sale right now. The whole Hungergames series is there along with some other books I've never heard of. I don't know what the kids are reading right now so they might be books you know.
  • Options
    I know Hunger Games.
  • Options
    Finally listened to Ocean at the End of the Lane read by Gaiman. Fantastic. Loved it. Do yourself a favor and get it.

I also listened to The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore. It's the second of a series, but I didn't know this. Thankfully, it didn't really matter, as it stood alone pretty well. As the title suggests, it's a play (in more ways than one) on Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice, but mashed up with Othello, King Lear, Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado,” and an added twist. If you know your Shakespeare, you'll probably get a good laugh out of it. If not, you may still get a good laugh, as it doesn't get too esoteric. Not as good as Ocean, but recommended.
  • Options
    Next up yo me was the short story "Grey Fox", by j.l. Bourne.

It takes place in the future of the Day by a Day Armageddon world. It was really good!

I'm Probably going to re-listen to the previous three books.

But first....catching up on a crapload of podcasts.
  • Options
    GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Secret Wars is coming to Graphic Audio!

http://www.graphicaudio.net/secret-wars.html
  • Options
    Listened to A Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling and Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Vacancy was quite good, better than I expected. Dirty Job—not so much.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2014
    In just a few hours from now, BBC Radio 4 will debut the first installment of its radio dramatization of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. Expect cameo roles by both authors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knthd

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Humble bundle is offering a big dr. Who audiobook bundle
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I'll be starting Graphic Audio's presentation of Infinite Crisis tonight.