Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It's Only a Movie
    photo audiblekermode_zps0200b425.jpg

To avoid fainting, keep repeating it's only a move ..only a movie ..only a movie ..only a movie

If you grew up believing that Planet of the Apes told you all you needed to know about politics, that Slade in Flame was a savage exposé of the pop world, and that The Exorcist revealed the meaning of life, then you probably spent far too many of your formative years at the cinema. Just as likely, you soon would have realised that there was only one career open to you - you'd have to become a film critic.

In It's only a Movie, the incomparable Mark Kermode takes us into the weird world of a life lived in widescreen. Join him as he embarks on a gut-wrenching journey through the former Soviet Union on the trail of the low budget horror flick Dark Waters, cringe as he's handbagged by Helen Mirren at the Bafta awards ceremony, cheer as he gets thrown out of the Cannes film festival for heckling in very bad French, and don't forget to gasp as he's shot at while interviewing Werner Herzog in the Hollywood hills.

Written with sardonic wit and wry good humour, this compelling cinematic memoir is genuinely 'inspired by real events'.

written and read by my favorite living film critic MARK KERMODE - 8 hours of great fun.

And if you haven't yet done so: seek out his podcast with Simon Mayo.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    American Gods

- Neil Gaiman

Yes, another Gaiman book. I wish he was the narrator..though the guy doing it does an adequate job.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I'm still listening to Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear. In my defense it's an audio-recording that spans 36 CDs. The book is the sequel to The Name of the Wind. A third story, "The Doors of Stone" (working title), is expected to hit bookstores in 2014.

The series is fantastic, and Nick Podehl's narration is spot-on.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

I'm still listening to Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear. In my defense it's an audio-recording that spans 36 CDs. The book is the sequel to The Name of the Wind. A third story, "The Doors of Stone" (working title), is expected to hit bookstores in 2014.

The series is fantastic, and Nick Podehl's narration is spot-on.

with 36 cds you should finish right around the time the third story drops. that's pretty perfect timing.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'll be done sooner than that, for I'm already on disc 25. I usually listen to my iPod while at the gym, while walking my dog, or when I'm doing yard work. Considering a typical workout for me lasts approx. 3 hours (I ride my bike to and from the gym which I'm including in that time), I have the potential to breeze through a book rather quickly. Of course, this assumes I go to the gym on a regular basis which lately I haven't been doing on account of the nearby gym closing. In addition to audiobooks, I also listen to whatever weekly podcasts I've downloaded, and sometimes I'll tune my iPod to the gym's monitor (especially if there's a S.F. Giants game on). I usually listen to podcasts first, as they often contain time-sensitive discussions. When I'm diligent about going to the gym, I typically have enough time between podcast updates to make progress on my audiobooks, but if I only go a couple days per week, then almost all that time is devoted to podcasts.
  • Options
    Been listening to Robopocalypse on the drive to work... It's awful, but I needed a break from podcasts.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Just finished Ender's Game and about half way through Ender's Shadow. I feel bad for skipping over these books when I would see them at the bookstore years ago. Pretty fun listens.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Thats such a cool idea.

Well, it worked. We had a little family and friend party for my 40th birthday (which actually isn't until Oct 6 but why quibble) this evening. I blew out some candles and in front of the people who love me most in the world asked the woman I love most in the world to be my wife. She said yes!

Moral: seduce them with books.

:D
  • Options
    random73 said:

Thats such a cool idea.

Well, it worked. We had a little family and friend party for my 40th birthday (which actually isn't until Oct 6 but why quibble) this evening. I blew out some candles and in front of the people who love me most in the world asked the woman I love most in the world to be my wife. She said yes!

Congratulations!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    random73 said:

Thats such a cool idea.

Strong.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Neverwhere
    by Neil Gaiman

After listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane I had to find another book narrated by Mr. Gaiman. There is something special when an author reads his own work..the tone of voice, pauses, etc..the text is read exactly as it was intended.

Both books were great and I'm really sorry to hear Neverwhere doesn't have a sequel(considering some hanging threads left at the end).

Now, if only American Gods was narrated by him...

The Graveyard book is very good if you're looking for something else read by Gaiman

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Krescan said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Neverwhere
    by Neil Gaiman

After listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane I had to find another book narrated by Mr. Gaiman. There is something special when an author reads his own work..the tone of voice, pauses, etc..the text is read exactly as it was intended.

Both books were great and I'm really sorry to hear Neverwhere doesn't have a sequel(considering some hanging threads left at the end).

Now, if only American Gods was narrated by him...

The Graveyard book is very good if you're looking for something else read by Gaiman

It's on my list!

Right now I'm listening to:

I can't convey how completely amazing this book is.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    While searching my local library's online catalog for my comic shop's book of the month selection, I stumbled across an audiobook recording of Jim Henson The Biography. (The shop hosts a weekly podcast and in addition to comic news and such, the they also do monthly book reviews - October's selection is Jim Henson's Tale of Sand.) I just started the 17-CD family authorized bio, so it's too early for me to fairly assess it, but I will say that as longtime Henson fan, I'm really looking forward to listening to this one.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Wow. That was quick.The book has only just been released. Was about to get the book - but now I'll get the audio. Thanks @Fade2Black B-)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I really lucked out with this one. If the Comics Conspiracy podcast hadn't picked Jim Henson's Tale of Sand as their book of the month selection, I probably wouldn't have spotted this audiobook recording on my library's online catalog when I did. I immediately placed a reserve on the audiobook, and the day after I did so, the library recommended Jim Henson The Biography on their Facebook page. Now there's like a zillion requests for the audiobook, but I managed to snag it first.
  • Options

Yeah, I really lucked out with this one. If the Comics Conspiracy podcast hadn't picked Jim Henson's A Tale of Sand as their book of the month selection, I probably wouldn't have spotted this audiobook recording on my library's online catalog when I did. I immediately placed a reserve on the audiobook, and the day after I did so, the library recommended Jim Henson The Biography on their Facebook page. Now there's like a zillion requests for the audiobook, but I managed to snag it first.

I got it from Audible and am a few hours in. Great so far. It is a book I have been looking forward to for awhile (I think the audio and print may have been released on the same day).
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I suppose all four "Hyperion" books while I wait for the next "Stormlight Archive" book.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Just finished Fall of the Governor, part one.

Wasn't bad, but I feel kind of mislead about the whole trilogy thing.

• Options
    And also, Ex-Communication. Man I love Peter Clines' Ex-series.

• Options

PART ONE?? I have been holding off on the latest one as I thought book 2 was weaker than 1 and, as it focused more on new characters instead of the Governor, a little bait-and-switchy. But now the third part is split into two? Now THAT is milking it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Apparently, BBC Radio 4 Extra has been broadcasting a dramatization of Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards!. It looks like most of the installments have been released, but if you want to listen to the series in its entirety you better hurry; the first 30 minute installment expires in a day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jmk0
  • Options
    David_D said:

PART ONE?? I have been holding off on the latest one as I thought book 2 was weaker than 1 and, as it focused more on new characters instead of the Governor, a little bait-and-switchy. But now the third part is split into two? Now THAT is milking it.
    Apparently, Kirkman's manuscript or whatever was too big.

Bullshit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Calling all Terry Pratchett fans.
    BBC Radio 4 Extra is at it again. This time they're adapting
    Wyrd Sisters. Episode 1 just debuted. It will remain up for the next seven days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jl80
  • Options
    The Dying Earth by Jack Vance

The "dying Earth" sub genre of sci fi is my favorite and I thought it was about time to delve into the book that started it all.