Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tried to listen to A Dance of Dragons.

The reader was so awful I barely made it through the first disc before giving up.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I haven't experienced that, yet.

And I hope I never do.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Tried to listen to A Dance of Dragons.

The reader was so awful I barely made it through the first disc before giving up.
    I know, right? I was so determined to do the SOIF books (I was one of those come-lately converts after it started airing on HBO, and I've got so little time for sitting and reading that audiobooks are basically the way I do most of my prose now) that I powered through them all in a couple months' time.

And it's strange, and I suppose a fair amount of blame falls on the directors and producers of the recordings, but despite being quite a well-established and respected actor, Roy Dotrice is a TERRIBLE audiobook reader. He narrates well enough, but he commits to me the worst audiobook sin: deciding to get all Ministry of Funny Voices on the dialogue. There is just no need. Personally, I think it is best to use your own voice, maybe with some slight alterations here and there, but to try to give everyone a different voice is folly. Especially when you don't have a wide range (and Dotrice doesn't. I hear Jim Dale who does the Harry Potter audiobooks gets away with it because he DOES have enough of a range, and meticulously tracks what choices he makes for each character, so when they appear again, he can match his earlier choice and keep them consistent. By contrast, the over-the-top voice that Dotrice does for Melisandre in Book 2 is completely different than the over-the-top choice he makes for her in a later book).

It is like Dotrice uses his natural, and best voice, to narrate, but then for every other character he picks one of the maybe six character voices he does, and about four of them sound like the sort of mush-mouthed, let's-make-fun-of-the-regions character you would expect in a Monty Python sketch. Including for Tyrion! Tyrion should probably be the most silver-tongued character in the whole series, and Dotrice makes him sound like a bad impression of a Leprechaun.

It was a nice break when John Lee ended up narrating, I think it was book 4. But then Dotrice was back for Dance of Dragons. Oy.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It is like Dotrice uses his natural, and best voice, to narrate, but then for every other character he picks one of the maybe six character voices he does, and about four of them sound like the sort of mush-mouthed, let's-make-fun-of-the-regions character you would expect in a Monty Python sketch. Including for Tyrion! Tyrion should probably be the most silver-tongued character in the whole series, and Dotrice makes him sound like a bad impression of a Leprechaun.
    Yep.

And I'm still trying to come up with a description of the voice he chose for Daenerys... toothless crone maybe?
  • Options
    Yep.

And I'm still trying to come up with a description of the voice he chose for Daenerys... toothless crone maybe?
    It really is shocking. It is like I wonder what the actor thinks it sounds like, or why the people producing the audiobook would want something that makes every character sound miscast.

Except the ravens, I suppose. Any shrill, annoying voice, like the ravens, or Hoedor, Dotrice is perfect for. Maybe he auditioned with those.
  • Options
    I finished Force Unleashed. It was damn good for an abridged novel, and had a decent (and unexpected) Darth Vader voice. As well as music and sound effects.

Next up? I've started Force Unleashed II

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Right now, I just started Solaris
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @jaydee74 is it The Definitive Edition narrated by Alessandro Juliani?
    At last, one of the world's greatest works of science fiction is available - just as author Stanislaw Lem intended it.

To mark the 50th anniversary of the publication of Solaris, Audible, in cooperation with the Lem Estate, has commissioned a brand-new translation - complete for the first time, and the first ever directly from the original Polish to English. Beautifully narrated by Alessandro Juliani (Battlestar Galactica), Lem's provocative novel comes alive for a new generation.

The sample I heard was awesome - need to get this (audible.de)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    @John_Steed it is indeed that very version that I got from audible.com. So far, it's very awesome but I had no idea that I was being read to by Lieutenant Felix Gaeta. Not to mention Smallville's Dr. Emil Hamilton. That's freaking awesome.
  • Options
    Great thread. I needed some new recommendations. I go through a lot of audiobooks myself. Here are some faves. Special emphasis here on above average to magnificent narration.

Into Thin Air & Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer
    The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
    The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan
    Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
    Millenium Trilogy - Steig Larsson
    American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan
    Tender Morsels - Margo Lanagan
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just finished the hunger games trilogy. Excellent audio books (sadly, the third book is just a bad book and the audio version couldn't fix it.)
    I read all three of the Hunger Games novels recently. And will agree that book 3 is pretty bad. It is really dull,and is so different from the first 2 books that it feels like it was written by a different author. Plus the last few chapters don't work for me. Now while the first 2 books are sure not classics of modern literture. They at least weren't boring and I managed to read each one in 2 days. The third one took me almost a week to finish.

• Options
    I read a lot of novels, usually over 60 per year, and I've tried audiobooks in the past and never found a good genre that I like to listen to vs. read. I did hit finally on one though, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It isn't too dry/cyber-techy to be boring/droning and it isn't too fluffy and shallow that I just don't care. I plan to do some more of things I wouldn't bother reading in print though and see how it goes. Maybe I'm coming around. My problem is I mostly would rather listen to a new episode of The Tobolowsky Files.
    If you haven't read it and it is out as an audio book I would recommend you try out "Neuromancer" by William Gibson.
  • Options
    Holy crap...

The Fantastic Four Radio Show from 1975. .... The episodes hosted by Stan Lee and had Bill Murray as the Human Torch!

archive.org/details/FantasticFour-10Episodes

I found and downloaded all of those a few years back. I love to listen to an episode while reading the comic it is based on. Reminds me of the old Power Records stuff.
  • Options
    I'm done with Stars Wars: The Force Unleashed II. It was fantastic. The only downside is that I want more, and I don't think they're continuing the story.

Next up... I'm not sure. I have a bit to choose from
  • Options
    I've done (audio)books one and two of Rhiannon Frater's zombacalypse saga, As the World Dies. They were friggin awesome, with good female protagonists.

I plan to get a hold of the third volume, and try to jump straight into that.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Just finished Tough Sh*t by Kevin Smith.....really liked it sometimes he goes on and on a little too much for my taste but there is a sweetness in this book that I really enjoyed
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    As for audiobooks I've gone through, I've finished the Green Lantern Sleeper series (it wasn't bad), and am currently on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Unfortunately, the only audiobook out is abridged. Still, it is awesome!

Was it the second part that focused on Alan Scott? I thought that was excellent!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Graphic Audio, Batman - No Man's Land. Really good.
  • Options
    for some reason i never thought to look for a batman audio book (think i had batman forever on cassette years and years ago, so that's probably why i never thought of it again) i'm going to have to check that out
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    As for audiobooks I've gone through, I've finished the Green Lantern Sleeper series (it wasn't bad), and am currently on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Unfortunately, the only audiobook out is abridged. Still, it is awesome!

Was it the second part that focused on Alan Scott? I thought that was excellent!
    Yes, the second part focused on Alan Scott. And it was awesome.

• Options
    Graphic Audio, Batman - No Man's Land. Really good.
    Both parts are on my ipod. I don't know when I'll get to them.
  • Options
    for some reason i never thought to look for a batman audio book (think i had batman forever on cassette years and years ago, so that's probably why i never thought of it again) i'm going to have to check that out
    As far as the BBC stuff, Knightfall's out on CD now!
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I can't stand that Graphic Audio stuff. All the music and sound effects just distracts me from the book.

I just want a person talking to me. No other production at all.

Am I alone in this?

Bry
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    I can't stand that Graphic Audio stuff. All the music and sound effects just distracts me from the book.

Am I alone in this?

Bry

Depends on what mood I'm in.

Recently I did enjoy some Star Wars productions with lots of effects and music. Don't think I would have enjoyed those books as much by just reading them.

Other times - especially with more sophisticated literature - I prefer to have a single voice.

In the end it's all just escapism - and I like it :D
  • Options

Am I alone in this?

Bry
    I remember you saying that on a podcast. At the time, I heavily disagreed. I fused to find one person talking boring.

A couple of years later, however, and I find my viewpoint has changed somewhat. There are certain books that benefit from having one person. (The Dexter series, the As the World Dies saga)

However, I find I still prefer multiple people, or some kind of production. For instance, the Star Wars stuff tends to have one speaker, but music and sound effects. I find that they add to the audiobook, and don't detract from it.

As for Graphic Audio, they're still number one in my audiobook-lovin' heart.

• Options

Am I alone in this?

Bry
    Nope. I definitely agree. I get that there are people like this style, but it is not for me.

When I read a prose book myself, I don't find that I am putting on different voices for the speakers. If I "hear" a voice at all in my thoughts, it is just my own. So to have a single narrator do the book- narration as well as dialogue- actually feels much more organic to me than having a full cast.

An exception would be that radio drama that is written as such- which is to say, the story is written with the intention to be produced as audio. As was done back in the classic days of radio, or a play done by full cast (as the BBC still produces audio dramas and full cast recordings of plays) or even currently by excellent producers like The Truth (who were recently featured on This American Life). That form can be excellent, but all the writing is done with an audio performance by a cast in mind.

But when I am reading regular prose, it feels like a single voice. And most prose has more narration than dialogue. So for me a single reader just feels right.

(I thought of one other exception- the full cast recording of World War Z. Though the form of that book is meant to be the transcript of a series of interviews, so in that case, a cast made more sense)
  • Options

Am I alone in this?

Bry
    Nope. I definitely agree. I get that there are people like this style, but it is not for me.

When I read a prose book myself, I don't find that I am putting on different voices for the speakers. If I "hear" a voice at all in my thoughts, it is just my own. So to have a single narrator do the book- narration as well as dialogue- actually feels much more organic to me than having a full cast.

An exception would be that radio drama that is written as such- which is to say, the story is written with the intention to be produced as audio. As was done back in the classic days of radio, or a play done by full cast (as the BBC still produces audio dramas and full cast recordings of plays) or even currently by excellent producers like The Truth (who were recently featured on This American Life). That form can be excellent, but all the writing is done with an audio performance by a cast in mind.

But when I am reading regular prose, it feels like a single voice. And most prose has more narration than dialogue. So for me a single reader just feels right.

(I thought of one other exception- the full cast recording of World War Z. Though the form of that book is meant to be the transcript of a series of interviews, so in that case, a cast made more sense)
    Nicely written, @David_D

As someone who is on the opposite side of the fence of you, I can clearly see your viewpoint, and actually agree with you on some parts.

(Not enough to change my mind, but insight is good!)
  • Options
    Most of the books I've gotten in audio form were one person and I enjoyed them a lot.

There was a Star Wars book that I borrowed a while back that had the music and sound effects that was just horrible. Even to the point of drowning out the reader.

But this graphic audio Batman No Man's Land I'm really liking.

First I haven't read any of No Man's Land
    Second I'm a Batman fan
    Third The guy that does Joker is doing a fantastic job so far
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Just finished Double Dexter, the sixth Dexter novel/audiobook.

Pretty good, even if I did find myself annoyed at Dexter sometimes.

• Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    I have only one Audiobook that I like to listen to and it is really nerdy. It is called Ready Player One. Will Wheaton narrates the book and he does a fantastic job. If you love the 80's or nerd culture in general you will love this book. I was born in the mid 80's so I dont remember much about them but this book was a good reason to ask my parents cool facts about the book that I didnt know off hand.