Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    David_D said:

Great. I will look into those. Thanks!

No problem.

I'll list more for you when I can think of them.

• Options
    I just finished Freakonomics, which was pretty interesting. I’m going through their podcast archive at work now. Highly recommended.

My library got in Lev Grossman’s The Magician King, so I’ve started on that since I haven’t had time to read the physical book.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    James Spader narrated an old copy of Dean Koontz's Strange Highways that i picked up recently at a library sale. His voice was delightfully deep and creepy. Really a nice choice.
  • Options
    Magician King was very good. I didn’t like it quite as much as the first book, but I’m definitely looking forward to the third.

Now I’m listening to Darth Plagueis—a rare dip into the Star Wars novels for me. I like the voice actor. He has a deep, rich voice that suits the characters and the story very well.
  • Options
    Now I’m listening to Darth Plagueis—a rare dip into the Star Wars novels for me. I like the voice actor. He has a deep, rich voice that suits the characters and the story very well.
    Darth Plagueis was an unexpected delight. (Even though I've been waiting for it to come out for a few years!) I didn't expect it to be so good!
  • Options
    I've finished The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury.

While I don't hate it, I think I might have enjoyed the first one better.

I don't remember the original Woodbury arc in the comics that well, so I don't know if everything matches up with the book.

Up next: Allison Hewitt is Trapped

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2012
    Up Till Now: The Autobiography written and read by William Shatner

Listening to the Shat is always a treat. And the content is thrilling:
    This is the story of William Shatner's half-century career and private life. The audio will take listeners from the streets of Montreal to regional theater, where Shatner was once called upon to replace Christopher Plummer as Henry V- in a role he had never rehearsed, with actors he had never met. It will describe his early TV work and movies, among them Roger Corman's The Intruder, a movie about racism filmed in the south in 1961; Kingdom of the Spiders, in which he costarred with 30,000 tarantulas; and Incubus, the only film ever made in the language of Esperanto. It will include his private life, including the complete story of the drowning death of his third wife. It will include stories from three other series: T.J. Hooker, Rescue 911-which saved more than 240 lives-and Boston Legal, as well as his work on Third Rock from the Sun, for which he won his first Emmy for playing "the Big Giant Head".

And, of course, it will include the story of Star Trek: how it came about and how it affected him-and fans-concluding with the story of a taxi driver who told Shatner he'd been a prisoner in Vietnam and that pretending they were the Star Trek crew kept him and his fellow inmates sane. And yes, it will include his singing and commercials and quiz-show hosting and award-show hosting and the greatest practical joke ever played, Invasion, Iowa, not to mention the story about Shatner being invited into a cage with Koko the Gorilla-who wanted to take him back to her bedcage.

After almost 60 years, William Shatner has become one of our most beloved entertainers. And as evidenced by Comedy Central's roast, The Shat Hits the Fan, Shatner gets the joke. For the first time, William Shatner shares with listeners the remarkable, full story of his life.
    Nearly 11 hours of pure bliss 8->
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I want to pick up American Gods and there are a couple audio version, is one any better than the other?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Sonofthor said:

I have only one Audiobook that I like to listen to and it is really nerdy. It is called Ready Player One. Will Wheaton narrates the book and he does a fantastic job. If you love the 80's or nerd culture in general you will love this book. I was born in the mid 80's so I dont remember much about them but this book was a good reason to ask my parents cool facts about the book that I didnt know off hand.

Yesterday, my brother-in-law lent me his copy. I'm still working on Good Omens, but I plan on listening to Ready Player One next.
  • Options
    Greg said:

I want to pick up American Gods and there are a couple audio version, is one any better than the other?

Good to know. I didn't realize a full-cast audio production was also done.

I've listened to George Guidall's narration, and I had no qualms with it. In fact, I thought he was a very well-spoken individual. Not having heard the full-cast recording in its entirety, I can't fairly comment on that rendition, but excerpts from both recordings have been posted to YouTube. I don't know if there's enough content in those clips for one to make a fair assessment, but there might be.

The George Guidall version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9a8DL8vRM

The full-cast audio version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHUEtWGW17g
  • Options
    Horns by Joe Hill
    Photobucket

Read by Fred Berman
    13 hours and 55 minutes

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache... and a pair of horns growing from his temples. Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned American musician, and the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, Ig had security and wealth and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone - raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances - with Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, Ig was and always would be guilty. Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due.

Nearly 5 hours in and loving it. If you know and like Joe Hills' other work you will love this one.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    At this very moment, I'm listening to the final chapters of Ready Player One. As I type this, it's 2:45AM here in California. About an hour and a half ago I finished a late night workout at the nearby 24hr Fitness, and am presently sitting at one of the few other establishments that's open 24hrs, namely Cupertino's one and only Donut Wheel. About 30 minutes ago, I was sitting at a table, nursing a coffee (my post-workout beverage of choice) while listening to another chapter of the audiobook Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, when Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak walks in. Not only was the encounter a bit random, but it was meta too, for Steve is mentioned by name in one of the audiobook's earlier chapters. Weird night.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

At this very moment, I'm listening to the final chapters of Ready Player One. As I type this, it's 2:45AM here in California. About an hour and a half ago I finished a late night workout at the nearby 24hr Fitness, and am presently sitting at one of the few other establishments that's open 24hrs, namely Cupertino's one and only Donut Wheel. About 30 minutes ago, I was sitting at a table, nursing a coffee (my post-workout beverage of choice) while listening to another chapter of the audiobook Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, when Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak walks in. Not only was the encounter a bit random, but it was meta too, for Steve is mentioned by name in one of the audiobook's earlier chapters. Weird night.

That's wild. One of the things that is fun about the combination of audiobooks and mobile devices are that you sometimes end up with an unusual juxtaposition of the story you are listening to and the world you are moving around in.

Also, Ready Player One is an excellent audiobook. Glad you are enjoying it.

• Options
    okay, this is a little nerdy, even by our standards. So, i'm seeing this girl that is a book geek, like many of us, and for giggles one day i used the voice memo feature on my I-Phone to read her a short story and send it as a text message (The Thang by Martin Gardner, it is the shortest short story i know). uh, she kinda dug it. So, this has kinda stuck. i'm working my way through THHGTTG in 3-5 minute chunks. Anybody ever make hommade audiobooks for themselves? any softwhere i could use to string these bits together into a "legit" audiobook? just curious.
  • Options
    @random73 : I've got no answer for you - but I love your idea B-)
    And good luck with the girl.
  • Options

@random73 : I've got no answer for you - but I love your idea B-)
    And good luck with the girl.

Thanks, it is going pretty well. we have plans next weekend to check out a James Bond/Spy themed restaurant in Milwaukee called The Safe House. hidden door in the alley, have to know the password to get in, etc. i'm excited about it.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    random73 said:

okay, this is a little nerdy, even by our standards. So, i'm seeing this girl that is a book geek, like many of us, and for giggles one day i used the voice memo feature on my I-Phone to read her a short story and send it as a text message (The Thang by Martin Gardner, it is the shortest short story i know). uh, she kinda dug it. So, this has kinda stuck. i'm working my way through THHGTTG in 3-5 minute chunks. Anybody ever make hommade audiobooks for themselves? any softwhere i could use to string these bits together into a "legit" audiobook? just curious.

Try Audacity. It’s pretty basic, but it's good for getting ride of background noise, plus it's free.
  • Options
    big fan of free, thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Currently on Batman: No Man's Land, Part 2.

Good news: part one was awesome.

Bad news: this appears to be the last DC offering from Graphic Audio.

I enjoyed it very much.
    Sorry to hear that it's the last of DC's offering from Graphic Audio. I think the voice actor for Batman is fantastic. Wonder if he could get some DC Animated work?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    rebis said:

Currently on Batman: No Man's Land, Part 2.

Good news: part one was awesome.

Bad news: this appears to be the last DC offering from Graphic Audio.

I enjoyed it very much.
    Sorry to hear that it's the last of DC's offering from Graphic Audio. I think the voice actor for Batman is fantastic. Wonder if he could get some DC Animated work?
    I had hoped we'd see other DC stuff. Imagine the Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Knight from GA?

Of course, those events would have to be novelized. And only then would GA touch it.

Yeah, I know. It's not going to happen.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited January 2013
    Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn. Hans Solo meets Oceans 11. Zahn still writes the best expanded universe stuff and the production on most of Star Wars stuff is excellent.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Star Wars: Scoundrels by Steven Zahn. Hans Solo meets Oceans 11. Zahn still writes the best expanded universe stuff and the production on most of Star Wars stuff is excellent.

Do you mean Timothy Zahn?
  • Options

shroud68 said:

Star Wars: Scoundrels by Steven Zahn. Hans Solo meets Oceans 11. Zahn still writes the best expanded universe stuff and the production on most of Star Wars stuff is excellent.

Do you mean Timothy Zahn?
    Yes. Forgive me I just watched Sahara the other day!
  • Options
    I traded for a lot of Big Finish, Dr Who audio dramas. I have to admit that I'm a bit unimpressed. Other then the opportunity to listen to people speak English beautifully, there's not much else going on. They're very formulaic with no sense of danger to the hero. I've listened to the first 9. Of them I can only recommend is #6, The Marian Conspiracy. It's a smaller story with the Dr and companion visiting Queen Mary.
  • Options
    I think the thing with the Big Finish productions is the novelty. Once you get past the enjoyment of hearing one of the previous incarnations, the stories are often tired and bereft of excitement. I went a little crazy one Christmas and bought a bunch for my son and I doubt we heard then more than once.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

I think the thing with the Big Finish productions is the novelty.

Beautifully said.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    David_D said:

I don't think they've made an audiobook of Marvel: The Untold Story, @David_D

There isn't one yet. But sometimes publishers choose to have a later window for audiobook release. And sometimes Audible produces audiobooks, if they think there is an interest, and if they can get the publisher/author to agree. For example, the audio edition of Morrison's Supergods was produced by Audible.

We'll see. I will give it a few months, and if it doesn't materialze, then I will read it in print or via the Kindle app. But I am hoping for an audiobook version.
    Well, @David_D.... you were right.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comics-The-Untold-Story/dp/B00B03PE7K/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1360084901&sr=1-1

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Recently started getting some audio books from the library to use while taking dogs for walks. Currently listening to Private Games, a James Patterson novel about a fictionalized London Olympics, a murderer and a private investigation firm with the un-original name of "Private"