Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Also, halfway through The Hunger Games. It is fantastic.

(I've seen the movie)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    just finished mockingjay it was a bit disjointed at the end but overall a good ending to a good trilogy
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Krescan said:

just finished mockingjay it was a bit disjointed at the end but overall a good ending to a good trilogy

Mockingjay was strange to me. The first two novels I read in one day. Mockingjay was so slowly paced it took me almost 2 weeks to read it.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    World of Warcraft: Tides of War

Good story so far, narrator not so much.
  • Options
    Downloaded the newly narrated Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Greg said:

Sounds intriguing, @Greg.

Who does the narrating?
  • Options

Greg said:

Who does the narrating?
    @Doctor Doom - It's Rob Inglis, he does a pretty good job, he's got one of those voices that fits these kind of books.
  • Options
    Greg said:

Greg said:

Who does the narrating?
    @Doctor Doom - It's Rob Inglis, he does a pretty good job, he's got one of those voices that fits these kind of books.
    Cool, thanks. I've seen 2/3 of the trilogy, and am thinking about giving the books a listen.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2012
    The library finally got volume one of the Mark Twain autobiography, so I've started on that. When my daughter is in the car, though, we've been listening to The Graveyard Book, written and narrated by Neil Gaiman. Neil does a really nice job of narrating.
  • Options
    @nweathington Glad Gaiman does a good job. I'm always a bit wary of audiobooks where the author reads them rather than an actor or actress.
  • Options
    @monkey010101 Yeah, I know what you mean. I listened to Madeleine L’Engle reading A Wrinkle in Time, and it was quite difficult to get through. I don't like Ursula K. LeGuin’s reading voice either. Harlan Ellison is pretty good though.

Gaiman reads all his YA/Children’s books, as well as some short stories, for his audio books. Coraline is another winner.
  • Options
    Going to start my free trial and see how I like it. Most likely will pick up the hobbit or the fellowship of the rings, these books never get old to me!
  • Options
    I've finished the entire Morningstar Saga trilogy, By Z.A. Recht. I enjoyed it.

I was a bit nervous. I had listened the the first two years ago. Wasn't sure how the third would turn out. The author had died before completing the third book, and it was in the hands of a friend/fan. And I figured they wouldn't get the same guy to do the narrating.

Well, the writing was good enough, and they got the same guy to narrate. I was so happy!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I finished the The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Which is brilliant, but everyone knows that already (very late to that party) and well-narrated.

I also did John Hodgman's That Is All. I love Hodgman, and his books of fake trivia are filled with imagination and concept (he would be a hell of a comic book writer if he cared to be, as he really has an expansive and very funny mind for genre). This third one was the least strong of his three, though even more than his prior two audiobooks he really made the audiobook a sort of present tense audio experience, not just a reading of the book, to the point that I often wondered just what the heck the book on paper even looks like. While this wasn't as good as his other two (also on Audible) it was still a lot of fun.

Currently doing the new recording of The Hobbit as I haven't read that in years. And I'm hoping an unabridged version of Marvel: The Untold Story ends up available on Audible soon.
  • Options
    I don't think they've made an audiobook of Marvel: The Untold Story, @David_D

• Options

There isn't one yet. But sometimes publishers choose to have a later window for audiobook release. And sometimes Audible produces audiobooks, if they think there is an interest, and if they can get the publisher/author to agree. For example, the audio edition of Morrison's Supergods was produced by Audible.

We'll see. I will give it a few months, and if it doesn't materialze, then I will read it in print or via the Kindle app. But I am hoping for an audiobook version.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    (I'm currently READING Marvel:The Untold Story - it's brilliant.)
  • Options
    David_D said:

There isn't one yet. But sometimes publishers choose to have a later window for audiobook release. And sometimes Audible produces audiobooks, if they think there is an interest, and if they can get the publisher/author to agree. For example, the audio edition of Morrison's Supergods was produced by Audible.

We'll see. I will give it a few months, and if it doesn't materialze, then I will read it in print or via the Kindle app. But I am hoping for an audiobook version.
    Thanks for the insight, DD.
  • Options
    Speaking of Neil Gaiman reading his stories, Audible has a charity event going on until Halloween. You can download a new short story written and read by Gaiman for free, and for each download, Audible will donate a dollar to a charity that promotes literacy.

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B009VHTR5C
  • Options

Speaking of Neil Gaiman reading his stories, Audible has a charity event going on until Halloween. You can download a new short story written and read by Gaiman for free, and for each download, Audible will donate a dollar to a charity that promotes literacy.

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B009VHTR5C

I wasn't aware of the charity angle. Now I'm extra-motivated to check it out.
  • Options
    I downloaded it yesterday, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'm sure it's driving a lot of traffic to the site.
  • Options
    Paging @DoctorDoom (and anyone else that might have insight on this, but I know he is a zombie connoisseur)

How are the Joe Ledger novels by Jonathan Mayberry?

I just finished the audiobook of the second Walking Dead novel (a disappointment, but I suppose I only have myself to blame as I thought the first was mediocre, too) and I seem to want more zombie book. But better zombie book. What do you think?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Paging @DoctorDoom (and anyone else that might have insight on this, but I know he is a zombie connoisseur)

I just finished the audiobook of the second Walking Dead novel (a disappointment, but I suppose I only have myself to blame as I thought the first was mediocre, too) and I seem to want more zombie book. But better zombie book. What do you think?

Depends what you perceive to be as "better", @David_D.

The Joe Ledger books are "military/Horror/Speculative Fiction thrillers". (TVtropes words, not mine)

I find them to be entertaining enough. And I like them better than the Walking Dead audiobooks.

I say give the first one a shot. You'll figure out in the first 15 minutes if you'll like it or not, I think.

And if you'd like, I can list some other ones for you that you might like.
  • Options

David_D said:

The Joe Ledger books are "military/Horror/Speculative Fiction thrillers". (TVtropes words, not mine)

I find them to be entertaining enough. And I like them better than the Walking Dead audiobooks.

I say give the first one a shot. You'll figure out in the first 15 minutes if you'll like it or not, I think.

Cool. That definitely helps. I think the military element is one I would enjoy, so I will give the first one a try.

But, if you don't mind, other recommendations would be appreciated, of ones that have really stood out to you. I have already done World War Z, Cell, and the Walking Dead books. Thanks!
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Cool. That definitely helps. I think the military element is one I would enjoy, so I will give the first one a try.

But, if you don't mind, other recommendations would be appreciated, of ones that have really stood out to you. I have already done World War Z, Cell, and the Walking Dead books. Thanks!

Military, huh?

Then number one on the list is Day by Day Armageddon, by J.L. Bourne, someone who's active in the military.

It's journal-style, but I think you'll really like it.

It has a sequel, Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile.

• Options

David_D said:

David_D said:

Military, huh?

Then number one on the list is Day by Day Armageddon, by J.L. Bourne, someone who's active in the military.

Cool. And putting the military element aside, is there any other zombie book (particularly if it is on Audible, which I think is a service you use, too) that you would recommend? Thanks again.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

Military, huh?

Cool. And putting the military element aside, is there any other zombie book (particularly if it is on Audible, which I think is a service you use, too) that you would recommend? Thanks again.
    If you like superheroes, Ex-Heroes should be up your alley. There are expys of Batman, Superman, and others, but they don't come off as bland knockoffs. Personally, I found myself giving a crap about them pretty early on.

There's a sequel, Ex-Patriots, which was just as good, and answered a few questions I had.
  • Options
    Great. I will look into those. Thanks!