Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    random73 said:

to ease the pain of waiting for the next season - some nice memories:

The 10 best Doctor Who villains – in pictures

Which is your favorite Doctor Who villain?
    The Roger Delgado: Master

I still think he's the only great Master we've gotten. Ainley was too camp, and Simm felt more crazy than evil. Might have been nice to have gotten more of Jacobi as the Master, but I think the less of Eric Roberts the better.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: I updated this thread's title to reflect the Doctor WHO thread's natural progression.

With the season 7 rapidly approaching, I was wondering as to whether or not this forum offers a spoiler formatting option? If not, is there a way to emulate such a feature using simple HTML? I know very little about coding, and the few HTML spoiler codes that I found via a Google search didn't work for me when I attempted to use them here. If someone knows of a HTML spoiler option that's compatible with this forum, please share it with the rest of us. An alternative method that seems to work is to set the font to the same color as the board's background (#efefef) using the code: SPOILER: <font color="#efefef">Type your spoiler here!</font>

Here is the above spoiler code in action. To read it, highlight the text to the right of the word "SPOILER".

SPOILER: This is the hidden text.

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    A behind the scenes show about the creation of Doctor Who sounds fa
    chrisw said:

random73 said:

to ease the pain of waiting for the next season - some nice memories:

The 10 best Doctor Who villains – in pictures

Which is your favorite Doctor Who villain?
    The Roger Delgado: Master
    I still think he's the only great Master we've gotten. Ainley was too camp, and Simm felt more crazy than evil. Might have been nice to have gotten more of Jacobi as the Master, but I think the less of Eric Roberts the better.

Can't really disagree with any of that. I have a soft spot for Ainley's Master, but he was the first one I saw, and once I saw Delgado's, there was really no going back, but still, as broad and campy as he may be, he was fun, and always looked like he was enjoying himself in the role. I liked Simm a lot, too, but you're right, with the whole crazy angle, he never completely felt like the Master. He did nail the part of the character's personality that was always so desperate to impress the Doctor right before he tried to kill him, though. That was nice. I wish we could've gotten at least one full episode with Jacobi as the Master before he regenerated... just those 5 minutes or so we got of him realizing who he actually was were pretty chilling and effective.

I feel bad for Geoffrey Beevers and (IIRC) Peter Purves, though, the guys who played the Master in The Deadly Assassin and The Keeper of Traken. Both were good Master stories (Deadly Assassin was a great Master story, in fact), but because they were shrouded and burned, they never really felt (and certainly didn't look) like the real deal.
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    New freaking Who. 9/1/12
  • Mini-Series for the Ponds:

Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill's characters will be the focus of five short online episodes, ahead of new Time Lord series

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/aug/22/doctor-who-sidekicks-series-pond-life?newsfeed=true
  • ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    The new season starts on September 1st with Asylum of the Daleks!!! I'm totally psyched!!

e
    L nny
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    SPOILER: Thanks for the spoiler thingy - should have thought of it first... @Fade2Black
  • bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    There is a screening of Asylum of the Daleks on Saturday the 25th in NYC. I believe Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will be there for a Q&A as well. It is sold out but they are giving tickets away. Go to the BBC America website for details. It ends at 4:30 PM EST today

http://www.bbcamerica.com/
    bats00 said:

There is a screening of Asylum of the Daleks on Saturday the 25th in NYC. I believe Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will be there for a Q&A as well. It is sold out but they are giving tickets away. Go to the BBC America website for details. It ends at 4:30 PM EST today

cool - thanks, @bas00! Entry sent.

e
    L nny
    bats00 said:

Looks like I didn't win...Ctowner1?

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I love the title of this first episode of the season. Asylum of the Daleks. who the heck does a race of homicidal maniacs lock up for being too dangerous?! Is there one Ghandi Dalek out there that is all sweetness and light that they don't understand but just can't bring themselves to kill? What qualifies as a crazy sick lunatic in Dalek reality. can't wait to see this one.
    random73 said:

I love the title of this first episode of the season. Asylum of the Daleks. who the heck does a race of homicidal maniacs lock up for being too dangerous?! Is there one Ghandi Dalek out there that is all sweetness and light that they don't understand but just can't bring themselves to kill? What qualifies as a crazy sick lunatic in Dalek reality. can't wait to see this one.

Maybe ther are seeking asylum....
    So they discuss Dr Who on the show.... But for some reason it's not On Topic enough for the on topic board?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @Planeis

The way the forums are organized- and this is based on years of feedback from users that wanted it this way- is that there is:

1. The place for comics talk, about comics, making comics, selling comics, the comics industry and other media projects directing related to comics; and CGS related matters that aren't specific to a particular episode. (Comics Talk Community- The OnTopic Forum)

2. The talkback threads for specific episodes (CGS Episodes & Spinoffs)

3. And a place to talk about everything else that isn't comics, whatever it may be (Off Topic- The Everything Else Room).

(And the rest of the forums are pretty self-explanatory)

As we talked about before, Off Topic in this case is not pejorative. It is not that a discussion of Dr Who is unwelcome anymore than a discussion of Audiobooks or football is. Rather, it just isn't comics talk, and so it goes here. And that is why, I would guess, Fade2Black chose to start it here, and clearly people wanting to talk Dr. Who haven't had trouble finding it here. For a long time people have wanted to have one forum focused on comics talk, and they've also wanted to be able to talk about all sorts of other things without having to put up with users complaining that there was 'too many off topic threads on the front page of the forum' (back when there was the one, main forum for everything). Now that we have several forums, we have given users the organization they have been asking for. It is not to make one forum more important than another, it is just organization.

And, sure, things that are not comics talk or comics related get talked about on the show all the time. And if you are responding to specific talk on the show, that is what the CGS Episode & Spinoffs forum is for, as there are talkback threads there. But just because something is talked about on the show does not forever make it comics talk, you know what I mean? They talk comics. They also talk about vacations to the seaside, trips to the doctor, raising kids, and eating at buffet restaurants. But that doesn't mean that discussions of those things would belong in the Comics Talk section.

I hope that clears it up.
    @David_D your patience is astounding.
    edited August 2012
    Planeis said:

So they discuss Dr Who on the show.... But for some reason it's not On Topic enough for the on topic board?

As the person who started this thread, I suppose I'm in the best position to address why I opted not to place it in the "On topic board".

My rational for placing it where I did is fairly straightforward.
    If one navigates to the main directory,
    the first category listed is:

Comics Talk Community - The On Topic Forum

Directly below that is the following description:

The place for comics talk and comics-related talk.

If I were starting a discussion on the amazing Doctor Who/STTNG crossover comic, then I probably would have put it in that thread, but the television show predates the comic book, and I don't consider the show itself to be a comic book, therefore I put it in the more encompassing sub-forum.

Off Topic - The Everything Else Room
    You want to talk about things that aren't related to comics or the show? No problem! Do it here.

Granted, the show occasionally mentions Doctor Who, but I didn't feel as if they do so often enough to warrant its inclusion in a predominately comic book-themed thread.

edited August 2012
    Pond Life: a series of Doctor WHO - Webisodes
    I'll update this post as they become available.

pt. 1

pt. 2

pt. 3

pt. 4

pt. 5

I really hate it when he does that.

Ood on the loo.

@Fade2Black keep 'em coming my friend! I can't wait for the new season. well, thats not right. obviously, I CAN, because I am but....I'm really not enjoying it! The wait, i mean. I'm not enjoying the wait for...sigh...Why does Doug Adams type dialogue in my brain?
    edited August 2012
    bats00 said:

bats00 said:

Looks like I didn't win...Ctowner1?
    alas, no, @bats00. But thanks again for the tip, anyway! And new Who on Saturday! whoohoo!

e
    L nny

• jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Those Pond Life shorts are hilarious. Love them.
    ctowner1 said:

bats00 said:

?

alas, no, @bats00. But thanks again for the tip, anyway! And new Who on Saturday! whoohoo!

e
    L nny

Sorry you didn't win either. Sadly I don't get BBC America anymore. Going to have to wait for the DVD's :(

• kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    The family and I are at Season 1, Episode 8 (via Amazon Prime Instant Video)... we'll be ready for Season 7... sometime in 2013 or 2014, I'm guessing. :D
    "Ood on the loo!" :))
    bats00 said:

ctowner1 said:

bats00 said:

?

e
    L nny

Sorry you didn't win either. Sadly I don't get BBC America anymore. Going to have to wait for the DVD's :(

sorry to hear! Can you switch cable providers?

e
    L nny
    Update: added Pond Life episode 4
    (see my previous post in for video embed)
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Doctor Who: posters reveal Steven Moffat's "blockbuster" vision
    Steven Moffat has promised that the new series of Doctor Who will be made up of episodes that are like movie blockbusters – and five new posters for the series, which kicks off on September 1 in the UK and the US, give fans clues as to what is in store
  • Big_Daddy_SummersBig_Daddy_Summers Posts: 84
    edited August 2012