Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is everything I want out of New Who. Don't know how to explain it any better than that.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited September 2012
    Dinosaurs on a Sapceship
    REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS! I thought it was brilliant but I have a question about Asylum of the Daleks. It's clear that the woman who the Doctor talks to in the beginning of the show had a daughter named Hannah that the Doctor somehow knows. How does he know this Hannah person? Is this continuity from a classic episode?
  • Options
    Am I the only one who hates the character Amy?! She's arrogant and takes Rory for granted. If I had a husband that waited for around a thousand years (literally) to be with me, like HELL I treat him like Amy does!!!!! A divorce what the hell is that about??

And while I'm on my rant... I hate living in Australia due to the bloody fact that I had to wait TWO WEEKS (after to the new series was released in the UK) for the stupid thing to come on free to air over here!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
    So I have to be really careful about spoilers...

Oh and Matt Smith really can't bowl to save himself LOL.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    jaydee74 said:

Dinosaurs on a Sapceship
    REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS! I thought it was brilliant but I have a question about Asylum of the Daleks. It's clear that the woman who the Doctor talks to in the beginning of the show had a daughter named Hannah that the Doctor somehow knows. How does he know this Hannah person? Is this continuity from a classic episode?

I didn't think he knew her. The first thing the hooded woman tells the Doctor is a bout her daughter, Hannah. I'm not aware of any nod to classic Who?
  • Options
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was ... loud.
    Everything was thrown at the screen to hope something would stick.
    And having Mitchell and Webb as the voices of the bickering robots was pushing it.
    Celebrity casting should be kept to a bare minimum.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

I didn't think he knew her. The first thing the hooded woman tells the Doctor is a bout her daughter, Hannah. I'm not aware of any nod to classic Who?

Considering she was in Skarro, at first I thought it might have been a character from Genesis of the Daleks or maybe The Dalek Invasion of Earth although that wouldn't have made any sense since she was on Skarro. I really thought it was a nod to something but I could be wrong. Still liked the episode a lot.
  • Options

Am I the only one who hates the character Amy?! She's arrogant and takes Rory for granted. If I had a husband that waited for around a thousand years (literally) to be with me, like HELL I treat him like Amy does!!!!! A divorce what the hell is that about??

Of the new Who companions, Amy is on the bottom of the list for me but I don't hate her. I'm just kind of neutral about her. I am looking forward to seeing her exit.
  • Options

And while I'm on my rant... I hate living in Australia due to the bloody fact that I had to wait TWO WEEKS (after to the new series was released in the UK) for the stupid thing to come on free to air over here!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
    So I have to be really careful about spoilers...

Oh and Matt Smith really can't bowl to save himself LOL.

I know a lot of people who feel that way about Amy. I'm not one of them, I happen to like really strong-willed, confident, attractive redheads (and, in fact, am married to one). The Scottish accent doesn't hurt, either. :x But, massive opinion-altering crush aside, I've liked her from the beginning, and I like her even more when Rory's around because I think the dynamic that the Ponds and the Doctor have together is not only entertaining, but unique in series history.
  • Options
    In my opinion, Amy works if Rory isn't around. With Rory, she is selfish and occasionally disrespectful. I am a little blinded like some others in that she is very beautiful, but there have been much better companions. I get frustrated by how much attention the stories give her.
    The focus of new who is more on the companions than on the doctor.
    I enjoy Rory more than Amy too.
    I don't know. Amy's complicated. She is easily the most interesting companion in new who. (I still hate Rose). I love how into the doctor and his way of life she is. That's refreshing. How she accepts and embraces the episodic changes in everything. But as a fleshed out person she is uneven and selfish.

I would like to see neffie as a companion for a while!
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Amy is on the verge of entering Rose territory for me. I thought Rose was okay, actually enjoyed her by the time of her first departure, but she overstayed her welcome. Amy's getting like that for me.
  • Options
    "I have had it with these M*Fing Dinosaurs on this M*Fing Spaceship."
  • Options
    I got really tired of Rose by the end, what with all the selfish clinginess and "But I'm special and fings!" attitude. Felt a little better about her when she returned, but then she got all entitled again.

And though I do enjoy Amy, I think I like Rory better as a companion, especially in the way in that he serves as both a foil for the Doctor and as someone who will call him on his bullshit. He reminds me of a modern Jamie McCrimmon in that way, not just the Doctor's companion, but his long-suffering buddy. He also serves a role that Donna pointed out back in her first appearance: he's the guy who will say no to the Doctor. Amy doesn't do that much, if at all.

And yes, Neffie would be an awesome companion. Maybe we'll see her again, Moffat seems to like bringing guest stars back when he can (which is why we're supposed to get another Madame Vastra & Jenny appearance sometime during this season, though I suspect that'll be after the break).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    chrisw said:

Amy is on the verge of entering Rose territory for me. I thought Rose was okay, actually enjoyed her by the time of her first departure, but she overstayed her welcome. Amy's getting like that for me.

I was done with Rose after the 1st. Christmas Special. I don't have a lot of patients for whiney.
  • Options
    rebis said:

chrisw said:

I was done with Rose after the 1st. Christmas Special. I don't have a lot of patients for whiney.
    She pretty much irritated me all through the Eccleston run, gradually got used to her during the Tennant run, and thought her exit was handled well. Had we never seen her again after that, I think I'd have fonder memories of her. Bringing her back just reminded me of why I hadn't liked the character in the first place.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    All the way through today's Western episode I was trying to figure out where I recognised Issac the Marshall from. It wasn't until the credits rolled that I saw it was Ben Browder from Farscape. I knew he looked familiar.
  • Options
    Not a bad episode but not great. I appreciate that the Doctor is mercurial but in recent episodes his moral compass has been spinning like a top.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Definitely more of a fun throwaway episode. Plenty of great lines and Matt Smith continues to own the role but I do get nervous when the Doctor starts waving guns around.
  • Options
    Felt like a bit of a comedown after the one-two punch of Asylum of the Daleks and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, but it was decent all the same, and after some of the clunkers and utter letdowns last season (Let's Kill Hitler, I'm looking at you!), I'm happy to settle for "merely decent."

The Doctor's 1200 now? Wow... the spin-off media writers must LOVE Moffat for giving them so much space (and time) to play with. Before his era is done, 11 may end up being the longest-lived Doctor, even if we only end up with 3 or 4 actual seasons of (seen) adventures!
  • Options
    Interesting throw away line. “Our friends are going to start noticing that we’re aging faster than them."
    I find it interesting that Amy meets the Doctor when she's a little girl and then is, pretty much, that same girl on her early adventures even though she's grown up. But, now she's matured and is outgrowing the adventure.

I kind of feel bad for the Doctor; he's Peter Pan, and Wendy has grown up.
  • Options
    !!!!WARNING!!!! may contain Spoilers!!!!!
    OMG I haven't walked away from a Doctor Who episode in years, but that episode " A Town Called Mercy" was horrid. From the forced accent of the narrator at the start to the predictability of the end I was bored. The "drama" of the dialog scenes just served a padding to the lame action sequences. I mean how did a CYBORG IN THE WILD WEST end up sooooooo boring???! The only funny part was at the bar. And none of the people in the town had a back story. The Mary Jane of the piece (sheriff) was killed early in the piece. And apart from the main cast, he was the only decent actor.

To put the whole thing simply... OH DEAR...
    Another dud like that and I'll completely lose faith in this series.
  • Options
    Well I loved that episode. Loads of cameos to enjoy, and one which I got right away.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

!!!!WARNING!!!! may contain Spoilers!!!!!
    OMG I haven't walked away from a Doctor Who episode in years, but that episode " A Town Called Mercy" was horrid. From the forced accent of the narrator at the start to the predictability of the end I was bored. The "drama" of the dialog scenes just served a padding to the lame action sequences. I mean how did a CYBORG IN THE WILD WEST end up sooooooo boring???! The only funny part was at the bar. And none of the people in the town had a back story. The Mary Jane of the piece (sheriff) was killed early in the piece. And apart from the main cast, he was the only decent actor.

To put the whole thing simply... OH DEAR...
    Another dud like that and I'll completely lose faith in this series.

I didn't particularly care for this episode either, but I really liked the two episodes that preceded it, and the trailer for today's episode looks intriguing, so I'm not about to write this series off any time soon. I agree, the sheriff's performance was a cut above the rest. I didn't even realize he was being played by Ben Browder (of Farscape fame), until my friend pointed it out to me.
  • Options
    So, The Power of Three was pretty good. And Kate Stewart! We better be seeing more of her down the line. WAY too important to introduce her as a one-and-done.
  • Options
    Power of Three actually got me to like the Ponds again, which is good since we'll be seeing their farewell next week. I found them annoying in Asylum, and strangely detached from the action in the last two stories. I know, they were there, and they had plenty to do, but for some reason the casualness of their traveling with the Doctor makes them feel less like companions and more like guest stars these days. This episode at least delineated what their situation with the Doctor is like now, something that would have seemed more interesting to me if they had played it up more earlier.

Anyone else feel like this story was the closest to feeling like a Russel T. Davies episode we've had since maybe The Eleventh Hour? Most of the action on Earth, celebrity cameos, assisting the British government... It just had a similar vibe to me.

I'm still ready for a big change, but I hope the Ponds are given a happy ending. They seem to be hinting at something darker, but I hope that's just a red herring.

I think I'm also ready for a change in Doctor in about another year. We're going down the same road of the Doctor becoming morally gray. Since this wasn't a problem with most of the past incarnations, I don't know why it keeps turning up in the new series. I hope the next Doctor is very different from both Tennant and Smith. I'm ready for perhaps an older, less spazzy Doctor.
  • Options
    My review of the confusion about the Doctor's two hearts in The Power of Three
    Spoilers!
    http://eamonn1961.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/back-beats.html
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I quite liked Power of Three. I even liked the throw away villain at the end. They could be the "Sith" to the Doctors "Jedi".
  • Options
    I enjoyed Power of Three. It was like a nostalgic Russell T Davies Cover Album.
    But the pacing! Very slow to begin, which I have no problem with and then bam! we get the whole baddie backstory glossed over in about 5 minutes.