Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

sorry to hear! Can you switch cable providers?

e
    L nny

No nothing that simple. I could still get it with my current provider, but I would have to pay a lot extra for the next group of channels that includes BBC America and thats really the only one I want. Its too much to spend for just one channel.

But I forgot that I have a brother who records the show. I'll be able to watch it soon enough (and then still get the DVD's later)

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Those posters are cool.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am so excited for the new Doctor Who series. I finally have BBC America so I can watch it on my television. YAY!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited August 2012
    Update: Pond Life pt. 5 has been added to my previous Pond Life post.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    "Doc..tor ... Who?"
  • Options
    Caliban said:

"Doc..tor ... Who?"

In my head, I could hear Crow T Robot from MST3K say, "we have a title!!!!!"

• Options
    Avoiding spoilers, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I can't figure how to do a spoiler on my mobile version so that's all you get for now :-)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    "Eggs...
    eggs...
    eggs... stir..."
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    okay. i didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    All in all a very good episode, although I had some issues with a few things:

They are pitching this season as "All Big Screen Movies", and while this was a great episode, there wasn't that Big Screen feel. I didn't even think it did a good job of picking up where last season left off. An average episode (not that that is a bad thing).

Um... Amy and Roy's issue? Total BS. They are too close of a couple not to have discussed those things before taking the steps they took. Didn't work for me at all.

I liked how we were given all the clues we needed for the Big Revelation, and even had Rory smack us upside the head with it, but it still was a bit of a shock. I don't think that particular plot thread is over, myself...
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited September 2012
    I thought it was excellent! Great to see the Dr. again and with Daleks right off the bat! Interesting idea and nice twist at the end. Also, I a LARGE twist that i didn't realize because I try to be unspoiled - so big, I'm not even sure if it needs to be spoiler protected - but will do so anyway - if it doesn't feel free to talk about it then, but.... hmm...looks like there's no spoiler tags on this new forum? At least none that I can find, so I'll put in a spoiler space in case anyone wants to skip the rest of this post
    s
    p

o

i

l

e

r

s

Oswin was played by the actress who is the new companion to be introduced this season. It's unclear (to me at least) whether or not she is the same character and we've seen her death, and the Dr. will meet her earlier in her life (and then some meory thing will happen) or she's related to the companion or what.

e
    L nny
  • Options

All in all a very good episode, although I had some issues with a few things:

Um... Amy and Roy's issue? Total BS. They are too close of a couple not to have discussed those things before taking the steps they took. Didn't work for me at all.

Yah..I can agree that the Amy/Rory thing was a bit of a stretch. Especially if the Pond Life shorts are in real time, which means they were fine just last month! But they did give a kind of credible explanation for their tension. I was a little unclear though as to whether Amy's inability to have a child was based on something physical that happened to her at Demon's run - or if it was psychological.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    in case you haven't seen it - here's the prequel to the season 7 premiere:

who-natic.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-new-prequel-for-asylum-of-daleks.html

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

in case you haven't seen it - here's the prequel to the season 7 premiere:

who-natic.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-new-prequel-for-asylum-of-daleks.html

e
    L nny

Wow! THanks @ctowner1 I hadn't seen that before. I think It definately should have been part of the episode, i mean that was intriguing as hell. It had the feel of some old Tom Baker Black Guardian stuff, ya know. Or maybe it was Pandora from the DCnU!

• Options
    @ctowner1 I THOUGHT that looked like the same kid but as the episode went on i decided i must have been mistaken. thanks for the validation, i feel much better now. I kinda hope it is the same character I enjoyed her a lot.

i'm curious now that i think about it, about the mysterious hooded figure figure. i'm reminded of the Dream Lord from the earlier season. That would be a nice thread to pick up and use as an umbrella theme for the season. I desperately want to see Richard E. Grant as a version of the Valyard (Trial of a Time Lord for the new kiddies) and i think those episodes would tie in nicely together and possibly make Grant's alternate 9th Doctor (Scream of the Shalka) semi-canonical by introducing that timeline and consequently that alternate version of the Doctor as a casualty of the Last Great Time War. come on! How kick asss would that be?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

(You've be warned, bunky.)

Yeah, the entire episode I'm thinking to myself "Wait, isn't that Jenna Louise Coleman?" and my wife went and looked it up to confirm, and then she got mad that it'll probably be at least until the Christmas special before we get any real answer there. Still, no matter the outcome, it's cool to get a sneak preview of the actress (if not exactly the character, though maybe? oooh, wibbly wobbly timey wimey), and I have to say that I like her energy, her attitude, and her astounding cuteness. I sure do loves me some Karen Gillen, but the loss might be a bit easier to take now. :x

As for the episode itself, I'm kinda wondering how EVERY Dalek can be made to forget the Doctor, seeing as there are actual beings in those casings, not just robots, but whatever, it was a cool twist, and I'm willing to bet it's something that will pay off with "the fall of eleven" and "the question that must never be answered." "DOC-TOR WHO?," indeed.

But overall, I really, really enjoyed this. And after so much of series 6 leaving me feeling very unsatisfied, I'm happy that that's the case. I felt my eyes nearly bulge out of my head when the (I think) Dalek Prime Minister first said "SAVE. US." As the Doctor said, "well... THIS is new!"
  • Options
    This is my favorite episode since Waters of Mars. I like Stephen Moffett generally but have had some story and pacing issues with Who shice he became show runner (which surprised me because i typically like him more than Russell Davies and was excited to have him take over) This story felt more complete to me and more focused with less of the "lets throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" sort of chaos that has overshadowed Matt Smiths run. I like Smith as the Doctor like i said my issue has been with the writing the last couple of seasons. still, i've been a fan since i was 13 i don't plan on stopping now. the Geek in me wouldn't allow it!

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I thought it was possibly the strongest Dalek story we've had from the new series. It's the first time in a while that they felt genuinely frightening.

The Ponds have been fun, but I'm ready for a change. Personally, I thought the place they and Riversong were left at the end of last season would have made for a good exit, and didn't need to see them again. The marriage issues felt very forced, as if they need something to drive the characters for a few episodes more.

Didn't know Jenna Louise Coleman would be in this episode, and I have no idea how this is going to tie in with her official introduction later this season.
  • Options
    more thoughts on the Doctor (and cool Doctor Who gifts!)

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/09/doctor-who-musings-part-1.html
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Neil Gaiman is on board for another episode.
    The announcement came on the heels of Neil receiving a Hugo award for his previous episode, "The Doctor's Wife".

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2012/09/05/gaiman-writing-another-doctor-who-episode/
  • Options
    I thought this was a great Dalek episode and I think the ending really does some really cool things with them and the Doctor for future stories. Now I'm really curious to see the Christmas Special and see who the new companion's character will be. I'm wondering if the Doctor will pick up this person in the past?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I am not generally a Dalek fan. I prefer the Cybermen myself but as i've said before this was a great episode. I like this Jenna Coleman kid and am right there with @jaydee74 in being curious about how they will bring her into this season. it would kinda be cool if they keep her in the Dalek body and have the doctor interact with her through a similar interface as they used in this episode. the idea woudl only be interesting for a couple episodes but havinbg a doctor with a dalek companion would be wild.
  • Options
    teaser for the upcoming episode

• Options
    another teaser

• Options
    Somehow, that alert sound on the Doctor's phone seems quite appropriate for him.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I was mucking around with iMovie and decided to make a Doctor WHO/Star Wars mash-up. This was the end result. Admittedly, I probably took a bunch of liberties with the text in my crawl, for truth be told I'm rather ignorant when it comes to Whovian lore. Most of what I wrote was pieced together from Wikipedia articles and the like.