Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Dark Knight Rises Discussion *Spoilers*

I saw the other thread was about the movie, but didn't have the spoiler tags in it, so I wanted to play it safe and not ruin it for anyone.

Thoughts on the movie? I overall enjoyed it though I'm not sure yet if I'm particularly thrilled with the ending, it may be a bit too cliche for my liking. How did Wayne survive? Did he put the plane on autopilot then bail out? And what about the cop going into the batcave, will the next movie, although by a different director build on this thread?

Comments

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I thought it was brilliant. It was very different from the previous two and at times during the film it bothered me. TDK was edge of your seat at all times, this was slower and bulkier but as a whole much better. At points I was confused and annoyed because it wasn't exactly what I expected but about 3/4 through it all just kind of came together into this big, beautiful massive work of art that I just found absolutely captivating.

Quick thoughts:
    -The minor plot holes didn't bother me, I don't need a scene to show me how he got out of the plane it was just enough to see that the mission was accomplished,
    -I figured out she was Talia about 1/2 way through but only using comic book knowledge deduction, I don't think it was possible to guess just with clues in the movie.
    -Best movie opening ever
    -Banes voice was haunting and terrifying. Loved it.
    -Loved two Wire characters in it - Carcetti and Bunny Colvin.
    -I found it distracting at points how clear it was they were in NYC
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Life is good kids
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Funny since I found it distracting at times that I could tell they were in Pittsburgh. ;)

However, that doesn't change the fact that I FREAKING LOVED this movie.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I saw the other thread was about the movie, but didn't have the spoiler tags in it, so I wanted to play it safe and not ruin it for anyone.

Thoughts on the movie? I overall enjoyed it though I'm not sure yet if I'm particularly thrilled with the ending, it may be a bit too cliche for my liking. How did Wayne survive? Did he put the plane on autopilot then bail out? And what about the cop going into the batcave, will the next movie, although by a different director build on this thread?

They won't let me really discuss the movie until we review it, but I took it as Robin taking over in this Nolan universe. The next batch of Batman movies would be different and have Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Both Nolan and Bale said if they ever had to introduce Robin, they'd walk away from the series...I guess this was a way to punctuate that remark!

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Agree good movie. Long, felt long, but thats not bad. Its just hard to sit confined ina theater for that long. Was not looking at my watch and didnt feel bored despite the late hour and being real sleepy.

Was slightly annoyed that it took sooo long to see Batman, didnt like that there was not a tiny bit more explanation about him dissapearing and Bruce Waynes injuries.

I figured Marion was going to be part of the villains, but i forgot that i heard she was going to be Talia. Shoulda known. Shoulda been obvious the moment they mentioned Ra's.

Loved the ending. Dont reboot it DC. Dont do it. It could continue. Batman Inc series anyone?

I thought it was brilliant. It was very different from the previous two and at times during the film it bothered me. TDK was edge of your seat at all times, this was slower and bulkier but as a whole much better. At points I was confused and annoyed because it wasn't exactly what I expected but about 3/4 through it all just kind of came together into this big, beautiful massive work of art that I just found absolutely captivating.

Quick thoughts:
    -The minor plot holes didn't bother me, I don't need a scene to show me how he got out of the plane it was just enough to see that the mission was accomplished,
    -I figured out she was Talia about 1/2 way through but only using comic book knowledge deduction, I don't think it was possible to guess just with clues in the movie.
    -Best movie opening ever
    -Banes voice was haunting and terrifying. Loved it.
    -Loved two Wire characters in it - Carcetti and Bunny Colvin.

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Can you at least tell us how close your predictions came? 50% accurate? 75%?
    Matt said:

They won't let me really discuss the movie until we review it, but I took it as Robin taking over in this Nolan universe. The next batch of Batman movies would be different and have Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Both Nolan and Bale said if they ever had to introduce Robin, they'd walk away from the series...I guess this was a way to punctuate that remark!

M
  • Options

Can you at least tell us how close your predictions came? 50% accurate? 75%?

Matt said:

M

I would say (based on Shaner's response) at least 80%, which was my goal. What I thought was the prologue and what scenes from the previews were the epilogue weren't correct. Both were in the movie, just not the bookends. I didn't see the Robin bit (or at least was hoping that wasn't the case), nor did I predict the bomb (I should've since Bane did set off a large bomb during No Man's Land.)

I figured the switch before the movie and knew the child was who the revealed was...too vague of info and a shaved head would help blend into the prison better. Being the person with the remote was a no-brainer by that point.

M
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Screw Earth One, keep this version going in comics.

Anyway, I loved it absolutely. The only slightly wrong thing was that Blake didn't reveal his real name was Richard Grayson instead of Robin. I suppose it would caused problems with his story arc eg. becoming a cop under an assumed name etc.
  • Options
    Imdb spoiled the talia surprise a couple years ago during preproduction.
  • Options
    Imdb is fan edited so nothing on there could be considered a spoiler. I could change it to say she played king tut. You were making it sound like it was definitively spoiled but I looked some of that up. There was lots of speculation which was all flat out denied by the cast.
  • Options
    They had listed the actress as playing talia then changed it a couple week later.
  • Options
    Just one gripe, how hard would it have been to just give JGL the name Dick Grayson? Or they could have even went with just naming him Terry McGinnis. I would have been in freaking love that way, but even with that it still can't take away how awesome that movie was.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I thought it was known by everyone that Talia was appearing in the film. Did anyone believe for a moment that Marion Cotillard was actually playing "Miranda Tate?" The appearance of Neeson has also been know for months.
  • Options
    Eric_C said:

Just one gripe, how hard would it have been to just give JGL the name Dick Grayson? Or they could have even went with just naming him Terry McGinnis. I would have been in freaking love that way, but even with that it still can't take away how awesome that movie was.

I think if they used Terry or any of the Robin names, than the ending wouldn't be speculated as much. It would have been more assumed that he would be taking over the mantle based on the marketing. I actually like it this way. "Robin" still takes up the mantle, but "Robin" was not actually in the movie.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Eric_C said:

I think if they used Terry or any of the Robin names, than the ending wouldn't be speculated as much. It would have been more assumed that he would be taking over the mantle based on the marketing. I actually like it this way. "Robin" still takes up the mantle, but "Robin" was not actually in the movie.

M
    That is how I reason it to myself, but I knew what was happening as soon as JGL was in the movie more then Bale. It was a foregone conclusion to me. I just love Dick Grayson so much tho, so just hearing his name would have given me the biggest of smiles.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I really enjoyed it, though I was able to tell some of the plot points ahead of time. (JGL taking over the mantle was tipped when knew the truth about Dent). It was also pretty good to see Owen from Torchwood in a major film,
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    My overall impression was that this was a good popcorn flick.
    The last 30-minutes were especially entertaining and any movie that can keep me riveted to the edge of my seat at 3:00AM is doing something right. But this movie was by no means perfect. I felt the overall story was a tad disjointed at times. The whole bit with Bruce climbing out of the pit seemed incredibly disconnected from what was happening in Gotham, and I mean than in a literal sense, not figurative. His ability to get in and out of Gotham so easily, especially when the entire city is so isolated, gave me the impression I had missed something. Sure he's Batman and he's resourceful, but my main gripe here is that I felt as if Bruce was going from one global location to another with no explanation as to how he got there or a sense that any travel time had occurred.

Another issue I had was that the ambiance felt off. I didn't get the impression it was winter. Much of the evening wear women wore to various social functions seemed way too lightweight for winter. The snow looked as if it was a late addition. There was no visible signs water condensing into vapor clouds when people talked. I realize this may sound like I'm nitpicking, and perhaps I am, but details such as these are ones that kept pulling me out of a film I yearned to fully immerse myself in.
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    edited July 2012
    Like Avengers, (where i saw all 6 films)I saw the trilogy last night at my local AMC. whereas I thought seeing the Marvel movies back to back enhanced my enjoyment of Avengers, I found that it actually hurt Dark Knight rises. I think this is, in part, the fact that the Dark Knight is such a great movie, that Rises, while good, pales in comparison. Second, the plot threads left unanswered in the second movie that were not addressed in the third were more obvious. All in all I liked the storytelling as Nolan developed the theme of fear in the first film, chaos in the second, and pain, in the third (although I think Responsibility or even belief would be better one word descriptions).

I thought Anne Hathaway was amazing as Catwoman and ran away with the movie. I really didn't like the portrayal of Alfred but I'm not sure if this is a reaction to the fact that Michael Cain is getting up in years or a deliberate choice to remove him from the middle Act. I saw the twists coming, but still enjoyed the reveals. All and all, an enjoyable movie, but, in my opinion (and I'm usually the minority) I thought it was the weakest of the franchise. I thought it was lacking the balance between humor and darkness that made the other two movies (especially Dark Knight) stronger. Again, a lot of that came from Michael Cain. Still great, but not the best.

One man's opinion, I hope it makes sense.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Another issue I had was that the ambiance felt off. I didn't get the impression it was winter. Much of the evening wear women wore to various social functions seemed way too lightweight for winter. The snow looked as if it was a late addition. There was no visible signs water condensing into vapor clouds when people talked. I realize this may sound like I'm nitpicking, and perhaps I am, but details such as these are ones that kept pulling me out of a film I yearned to fully immerse myself in.

It wasn't Winter for the whole movie. The growth of his beard was a good indication of that to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It was a good movie. I had certain expectations that weren't met because Nolan gave us another interesting story to follow. I wonder how all three movies would play together because we did come in with this movie st the end of the story where we see everything getting worse before the climax.

That being said I would have liked to see Talia survive in some way, perhaps in a brain dead coma so we could have a Damian.

I thought it was bold to start the story 8 years later with Bruce unable to get over Rachel's death, even though I thought he would have gotten over it & burried himself in his work. It was interesting to see the heavily injured Bruce from all his years of fighting. I thought Gordon would have been more able to desl with the choice of Batman re Dent's death & elevation to martyr status. Thought Batman would have gone out in those 8 years. I It was nice to see Crane again. A good handover to the next generation.

I think Nolan didn't give us what we expected but something satisfying and unique. He gave us a realistic world where the hero was exposed & couldn't put that knowledge back in the bottle.

Really cool that he hit a number of the major points of Knightfall.

Cool that he got a statue erected.

Anyone want the Robin or Nightwing sequel?
  • Options
    So is Blake is Dick Grayson? And why did the woman call him Robin?
  • Options
    RadiclusRadiclus Posts: 11
    I think because I expected so much I felt let down by this movie. I like parts, but not most of it. If only they would have consulted me.
  • Options

They had listed the actress as playing talia then changed it a couple week later.

Yeah... IMDB did. Which was my point. IMDB is an unofficial user-edited site. The fact that she was listed as Talia was because she was rumored to be Talia. She publicly denied it so then people changed IMDB. Nothing in that chain of events was a definitive spoiler, especially if you only casually pay attention to those kind of things.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Because that was his name. Robin is his real first name, but he doesn't like it so he doesn't go by it. He had to give his full name and she commented about why he didn't go by it and he said he didn't like it, but she said she liked it and called him by it. There are people out there who go by their middle name for one reason or another, such as Robert Bruce Banner or Michael Trent Reznor (just to throw in an actual real person's name in there, as the only other one I can think of off the top of my head was someone I went to high school with who obviously none of you would know).

And personally, I thought he was much more Tim Drake than Dick Grayson.
  • Options
    JoeSergi said:

Like Avengers, (where i saw all 6 films)I saw the trilogy last night at my local AMC. whereas I thought seeing the Marvel movies back to back enhanced my enjoyment of Avengers, I found that it actually hurt Dark Knight rises.

Really? Because for me it enhanced the movies tremendously seeing how well they all fit together (which is especially amazing seeing as how it wasn't planned to do so). It was nice to see TDKR wrap things up, it felt like I was watching a full movie with a beginning, middle and end in one (sorta one since there was time between movies obviously) sitting. It was nice to see references in TDKR to things that I just saw a few hours ago and were still fresh in my mind.
  • Options

That being said I would have liked to see Talia survive in some way, perhaps in a brain dead coma so we could have a Damian.

Planeis said:

Loved the ending. Dont reboot it DC. Dont do it. It could continue. Batman Inc series anyone?

They took away my interest in the comic, DON'T take away my interest in the movies. I would like to see another Batman movie. These 2 points would steer me away just like the new origin Spider-man movie.

M
  • Options
    nhartznhartz Posts: 12
    I thought it was a decent movie. I thought it was a nice finish for the Nolan trilogy. Anne was a great addition to the cast and did a wonderful job as Catwoman. Hardy was good as Bane.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I hope WB is thinking about rebooting the Bat franchise ASAP. Why must it continue the Nolan version? Didn't folks complain Bryan Singer was too faithful to Donner's Superman? The new Spidey film is an improvement on the Raimi film so why can't we consider a new take on Batman? I'd like to see a film focusing on Bruce mentoring Dick Grayson. Also, I think it's now time for a slightly less bleak Batman.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    KyleMoyer said:

Because that was his name. Robin is his real first name, but he doesn't like it so he doesn't go by it. He had to give his full name and she commented about why he didn't go by it and he said he didn't like it, but she said she liked it and called him by it. There are people out there who go by their middle name for one reason or another, such as Robert Bruce Banner or Michael Trent Reznor (just to throw in an actual real person's name in there, as the only other one I can think of off the top of my head was someone I went to high school with who obviously none of you would know).

And personally, I thought he was much more Tim Drake than Dick Grayson.
    "Tim Drake"... "John Blake"... kinda sounds similar, syllables, rhymes.

Also, some names I can think of off the top of my head that are real people are:

James Paul McCartney
    R. Buckminster Fuller
    H. Ross Perot

My dad goes by his middle name and at times it's been a nuisance for him.

Finally, what I really want to talk about in this thread is the possibilities for the future of Batman and Justice League films. Would Joseph Gordon Levitt come back for more movies? Would he create his alter ego as Robin, or Red Robin, or Nightwing, or Batman? Or any or all of the above... I don't know what the movie could be called, but it, or multiple movies, could show him progressing to Batman by realizing he needs to instill fear. And would JGL be up for a JL movie?