Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Dark Knight Rises Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    JaxUr said:

I hope WB is thinking about rebooting the Bat franchise ASAP. Why must it continue the Nolan version? Didn't folks complain Bryan Singer was too faithful to Donner's Superman? The new Spidey film is an improvement on the Raimi film so why can't we consider a new take on Batman? I'd like to see a film focusing on Bruce mentoring Dick Grayson. Also, I think it's now time for a slightly less bleak Batman.

I partly agree with you. I didn't think a Spidey reboot was necessary (and would have a long, pointless discussion of it being an improvement, based on what I've seen), but I do think one for Batman is needed (though ASAP for me is 5-7 years)

I don't want anything building onto Nolan's universe. I'd like the reboot to avoid an origin installment (which is what's keeping me from Amazing Spider-man) & have a slightly different tone. Nolan based his on a "if Batman could exist" approach. I'd like the next to still have a dark tone (avoiding 'Batman & Robin' territory)

If they had Batman with Robin, I would hope he's in his late teens. If its more like a boy that could be his son, I'm out.

If Man-Bat & Killer Croc are the villains, that means we're still in the 'Twilight hangover'. If Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn are the villains, we might be venturing into the '50 shades of gray' hangover!

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Just reading the wikipedia plot for the movie I realized the parallel between Bruce escaping the pit prison without the rope and not getting nuked by the bomb without autopilot.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

That being said I would have liked to see Talia survive in some way, perhaps in a brain dead coma so we could have a Damian.

Planeis said:

Loved the ending. Dont reboot it DC. Dont do it. It could continue. Batman Inc series anyone?

They took away my interest in the comic, DON'T take away my interest in the movies. I would like to see another Batman movie. These 2 points would steer me away just like the new origin Spider-man movie.

M
    It would seem silly to reboot the franchise after four movies, but it seems like they painted themselves into a bit of a corner. They leave the third movie with things that you can't just take back, unless you're going to use convient and probably lame writing to try and explain it away. How would you feel about the continuation of the movies if they are no where near the same the universe as the comics?
    Are you talking about Batman or Spider-man? Not sure which 4 movies, either?

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Okay finally got the see Dark Knight Rises last night. It was just OK to me. I felt like it was a little dour. I definately agree with @JaxUr that Id like a less bleak Batman. Not the "bif", "pow", "splat", Batman but something with a little more costumed fun in it. I think, in this two and a Half hour long movie we got 20 minutes maybe of Batman on screen in costume doing cool Batman shit. I hate to make an unfair comparison because I know the movies we're trying to accomplish different things but after The Avengers this really fell flat for me. And Im not saying this was a bad movie, it wasn't, but I think I'm ready for a different tone, a different kind of batman movie. I can't believe I'm saying this because it makes me want to kick my own ass but...this movie made me miss Joel Schumacher.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    How do you read the final scene? Is Alfred only imagining that final shot of Bruce and Selina or did Batman somehow survive the nuke blast?? I will pick that he survived just to give him some kind of "happy ending."

PS: I liked the Superman teaser.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

How do you read the final scene? Is Alfred only imagining that final shot of Bruce and Selina or did Batman somehow survive the nuke blast?? I will pick that he survived just to give him some kind of "happy ending."

PS: I liked the Superman teaser.

He survived. They indicated Bruce Wayne had repaired the auto pilot 6 months before. He faked his death and passed the mantle to his successor. I thought naming the guy Robin John Blake was a little goofy though.
  • Options
    At first I thought having his name scene was goofy, but then they furthered it with him finding the batcave, and I now like it.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I liked the last shot of the new Batman standing on the platform as it 'Rises'.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    It was ok for me. I knew going in it wasn't going to be as good as TDK, but one can hope right? I think the main problem I had was it being so long with little action. The opening scene had me riveted, then it felt like the next hour was not much action and kind of dragged on. Also did anyone else dislike Bane's voice/mask? I had a very hard time understanding him, and when I could understand him he sounded like Sean Connery. The part when Bane and Batman are fighting and he breaks his back I couldn't understand what either person was saying, so I wasn't sure if it was meant to be unintelligible or what.

By the end I was about ready to say I hated the movie, but the last five minutes or so where extremely cool (Robin reveal, Talia, Bane NOT being Ra's son, Bruce not being dead).

3/5 Frekking Sweers for me.
  • Options
    Yeah the last five minutes wasn't enough to save it for me. I liked the intelligent calculating Bane but not the modified origin he got. And honestly I missed the Venom.
  • Options
    I had a harder time understanding Bane than I was lead to believe by a couple sources. I'm definitely reading the book when it comes out on Tuesday. Could that be there way of getting more book sales?
  • Options
    random73 said:

Okay finally got the see Dark Knight Rises last night. It was just OK to me. I felt like it was a little dour. I definately agree with @JaxUr that Id like a less bleak Batman. Not the "bif", "pow", "splat", Batman but something with a little more costumed fun in it. I think, in this two and a Half hour long movie we got 20 minutes maybe of Batman on screen in costume doing cool Batman shit. I hate to make an unfair comparison because I know the movies we're trying to accomplish different things but after The Avengers this really fell flat for me. And Im not saying this was a bad movie, it wasn't, but I think I'm ready for a different tone, a different kind of batman movie. I can't believe I'm saying this because it makes me want to kick my own ass but...this movie made me miss Joel Schumacher.

It's going to come down to Batman v. Avengers (no Amazing Spider-man comparisons?!) It shouldn't be done because Avengers is a comic book movie (and a 'beginning') whereas TDKR isnt a comic book movie (and an 'ending')

I think if there is more superheroing, you're going to get something like Spider-man 3 where most of his scenes have an unmasked Spider-man. Actors aren't going to where a confining mask for the majority of a movie.

M

• Options
    No I didn't mean Batman vs. Avengers as a competition. Like I said I know the movies are trying to accomplish different things. I guess I was just trying to use the Avengers as a reference point for the tone I was after. More big costumed adventure less Inception part two.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Good but not great. Whoever did Bane's voice editing work needs to be banned from the industry. He went from sounding like Gandalf to that guy from the old 40s movies who played a bellhop and went "Eeeyeeeuussss, can I help you?" Took me out of the fun every time he showed up. This was not Bane.

Hathaway rocked in her role. I had my doubts but she proved me wrong. Also, the director's cut needs about 80% more shots of her curvy ass draped over the bat-bike.

Levitt has yet to be bad in anything I've seen him in. The streak continues.

Someone else said the first 40 minutes and the last 40 minutes of this movie are great, but you have that gap in the middle you have to get through. That holds up for me.

In no rush to see it again, but if the DVD's priced well-enough, it'll definitely go in the collection.

• Options
    I think robin could work if the movie was focused on a robin in his late teens. Batman is more of a mentor and not as much in the picture. You avoid a ton of the sexual issues that way. And if it is Tim and adopted? Even better.
    I've never been against having robin, just as long as he is one of the good versions of robin.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I really loved the movie with all my heart. It wrapped the series up so perfectly. I choose to ignore some of the stuff I didn't like, little things like the "John Blake" name, and sorta big stuff like not seeing enough of Batman in costume (He spent more then an hour in a pit, ugh). But overall it was so beautiful. Obviously it could never live up to the hype or what The Dark Knight did before it, but under all the pressure, it was pretty awesome. I couldn't have asked for much more. We all know this trilogy is different from every other superhero movie, it is not gonna be all the action Avengers gives us, but is just a great film. Nolan did it different and it was excellent. I love the man like family for these movies. It was a perfect ending to a series that brings me endless joy. I can't wait to see it again.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    I just got home from seeing it and I thought it was awesome.

They kept some of the cool things about Bane and got rid of the crap.

I wasn't too happy about the whole nuke thing. I'm a bit tired of movies, comics, novels, etc using a nuke as a lurking threat in stories...I must be alone as they keep popping up.

Catwoman was hot and she kicked @$$...but I think the movie would have been a little bit better without her. The character never really had the time to develop.

I loved seeing Crain as the mock judge..too funny!

It had a sweet ending with Bruce Wayne finally leaving the Bat behind...well done.

Oh, and even though I'd already seen it online, the Man of Steel teaser trailer gave me chills.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Good movie, but left unfulfilled. I went in with low expectations, stayed away from spoilers, it had some great singular scenes but overall it just didn't wow me.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Yeah the last five minutes wasn't enough to save it for me. I liked the intelligent calculating Bane but not the modified origin he got. And honestly I missed the Venom.

It was there as the mask & painkillers.

I liked intelligent Bane. That is how Bane should be.

• Options

random73 said:

It was there as the mask & painkillers.

I liked intelligent Bane. That is how Bane should be.

I like the intelligent Bane too. No disputing that. Painkillers aren't steroids. I would have liked to see him juice up. I know it sounds childish and stupid but...that's a part of Bane for me too. He was just as clever and calculating as bats as well as being more physically intemidating. And he was intimedating in the move but, come on, can you imagine that already monstrous dude suddenly getting BIGGER in the middle of a fight? How disheartening would that be?
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    There were a lot of things to like about this movie, and i loved that it felt like a true cinematic Epic. Most modern films seem like short stories, but this felt like a novel. I LOVED that Bane's plan was complex and made allowances for the most obvious contingencies...however, I don't see what the payoff would be for him and Talia at the end...they didn't have a way out of Gotham that I remembered...so were they planning on dying to de4stroy Gotham while Bruce rotted away in prison?

That being said, they needed to tighten it up. It felt too long, with some overlong sequences (Bruce being in the pit for an hour being chief among them) . Take out about a half hour, and this movie woudl have been much better.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012

There were a lot of things to like about this movie, and i loved that it felt like a true cinematic Epic. Most modern films seem like short stories, but this felt like a novel. I LOVED that Bane's plan was complex and made allowances for the most obvious contingencies...however, I don't see what the payoff would be for him and Talia at the end...they didn't have a way out of Gotham that I remembered...so were they planning on dying to de4stroy Gotham while Bruce rotted away in prison?

In Batman Begins Ra's tells Batman of the League of Shadows' exploits throughout history (sacking Rome, spreading the Black Death, and starting the Great Fire of London). Ra's explains that the League plans to use Scarecrow's fear toxin to infect the city with mindless panic, and watch it destroy itself. He explains that the destruction of Gotham City is merely another mission by the League to correct humanity's recurring fits of decadence and presumably protect the environment.

I think they were just trying to full-fill Ra's Al Ghul's plan from the first movie and they were willing to sacrifice themselves for it.

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I just saw it and while I liked the movie I did not love it. The problem I have is Christopher Nolan's take on Batman is a little left of center to how I see Batman. I could not see a healthy Bruce Wayne taking eight years off. There is a something off about a Gotham City that gets better when Batman is not around.

My own person quibbles aside this is a very dense movie. There are four or five major Batman stories woven neatly this one film. I did not find the movie long because there is so much that needed to be in this movie to make it work. I think there would be no question that having a Joker in the this movie would have helped immensely the middle third. I avoided most of the spoilers for the movie. I did hear people say Bane's voice was a problem, but the first time I heard it was in the movie. At times the voice worked really well. Other times it was so hard to hear that it took away from the enjoyment of it. I think I heard Talia was going to be in this movie, but by the second scene she was in even if I didn't hear it was obvious she was Talia in disguise. I loved the reveal at the end of the movie though.

The narrative structure of this movie and the rest of the trilogy was good. However, the fight sequences with Batman have been a consistent either let down or nonstarter. I will say that the one fight sequence of Cap fighting aliens in NYC on the bridge was cooler than almost every fight sequence in these Batman movies. I know this may not be a fair comparison, but for anyone who has played the Arkham games the combat flows so naturally while looking really cool. It would have been nice if the movie could have incorporated that style of fighting into them.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I thought it was the best of the three based on the stakes. Not a big Batman comic reader so I take whatever the movie spoon-fed me. Did not see Talia coming. Forgot all about that actress so they got me. Bane was more menacing than the Joker but not able to emote due to the mask. Still processing where to put it in all-time comic movie ranking. It is a different movie than Avengers.

Also, if I know I got Anne Hathaway waiting for me on the ground in cat-suit then I am finding a contingency plan to make it back. I like the idea of him faking his death. Batman always has a contingency right?

• Options
    I think I would have liked the costume better I they had gone with the Audry Hepburn with goggles look.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2012
    mrfusion said:

When Batman flew off with the nuke, am I the only one who thought "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

I really enjoyed it. Yes it was a little long - but I'm not sure what I would have cut. The only part that really pulled me out of the movie was the prison. Where the hell was that? The other side of the world? If so, how did Bruce get back - he's broke! I loved the references to the other films. 4 out of 5.

In retrospect, I'm kicking myself for not thinking that. I did wonder why he let the bomb detonate above the water as opposed to letting it sink. Though, I suppose the device may have been submersed and I just didn't realize that it had been.

(underwater nuke test)
    http://www.wired.com/video/underwater-nuke-test/63913954001
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    mrfusion said:

When Batman flew off with the nuke, am I the only one who thought "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

I can't believe I didn't think of that. This wins best post of the thread just for making me kick myself like that. The closest I got was at the end of Batman Begins the audience cheers, Mike asks "why are they acting like they've never seen the movie before and know how it goes." I say "I thought it was going to be something different. I thought we would get the special edition where Thomas Wayne shoots first."