Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tragedy in Colorado: 12 killed and 59 wounded at a showing of Dark Knight

If there are any CGS listeners in the Colorado area near where the shooting occurred, please check in and let us know you're alright.

This tragic.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    We are a f-ed up species. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the victims.

All the news are covering the tragedy - and by now many call it the "Batman shooting".
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
  • Options
    Will they pull the movie? I just would not feel right watching it now. I was going to go this weekend but I think it's just too depressing. Another thought was the guy mimicking the villian? Will there be a backlash against comics because of this?
  • Options
    ThomaloThomalo Posts: 2
    Woke up and read the news. Very sad day for us all.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    This is a horrific way to start a morning. Im heartbroken and horrified by this.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    This is tangential to the real story, but...

Who takes a 9-year-old to see a movie like this? Let alone a midnight showing?
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    It is sad. I pray for all the families affected.

Will they pull the movie? I just would not feel right watching it now. I was going to go this weekend but I think it's just too depressing.

Have you bought ticket(s)? I did a couple days ago. Unless someone/thing sways me, I'm going to the theater late this afternoon in the half hour plus ahead of showtime, in order to get a decent seat/spot in the theater. If I get there and it's been pulled, then that's fine and I hope for a refund.

Not going on with our lives, imho, is not the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

Will they pull the movie? I just would not feel right watching it now. I was going to go this weekend but I think it's just too depressing. Another thought was the guy mimicking the villian? Will there be a backlash against comics because of this?

I doubt the studio would pull the movie.
    I think a more likely scenario would be the studio donating a portion of the movie's proceeds to the victims' families.

As for a backlash, details will need to unfold before that happens.
    Was he imitating the villain? Another scenario could be that the shooter was a right-wing extremest who took Rush Limbaugh's comments about Bane as reason to go off the deep-end. My point is we don't know why the shooter did what he did. Once we know more about his personal "rational" for his, by all accounts, irrational act, we might be in a better position to predict where people might place blame.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited July 2012
    from mtv.com, some things are being cancelled, such as red carpet premiere in paris, and all media interviews with cast and crew.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I doubt the studio would pull the movie.
    I think a more likely scenario would be the studio donating a portion of the movie's proceeds to the victims' families.

Was he imitating the villain? Another scenario could be that the shooter was a right-wing extremest who took Rush Limbaugh's comments about Bane as reason to go off the deep-end. My point is we don't know why the shooter did what he did. Once we know more about his personal "rational" for his, by all accounts, irrational act, we might be in a better position to predict where people might place blame.
    That's one of my concerns, Rush helped promote this type of behavior. These movies should inspire people to do something to help society (not dress like a bat, obviously). Now it could be tarnished by some delusional idiot.

M.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    Rush's comments about Bane? You mean how he said it was crazy that some on the left were trying to tie the villain Bane to Romny and Bain Capital? Maybe he was an OWS nut who took the extreme left's view of Bane/Bain too seriously and went off the deep end...anything is possible I guess.

I'm willing to bet, however, the freak is simply evil and knew a theatre is where you can easily kill a lot of people at once.

I read one victim is 6. :(
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I read one victim is 6. :(

Six? Six!

See my above comment.
  • Options
    My son is 9 and I would have taken him had he wanted to go but he isn't in to movies. Also it is summertime so midnight movies are not something wierd to take a kid to. Half the games kids play are worse than anything in the movie. I hate that Someone would hurt some kids out trying to just have some vacation fun. This is making me sick.
  • Options
    Woah, woah, woah I Don't believe Rush Linbaugh, douchbag or not, ever suggested unleashing gunfire on innocent civilians. Let's not be ridiculous here. This dude was obviously sick and deranged. I don't think talk radio is going to prove to be his tipp
  • Options
    Tipping point.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This is just a tragedy. End of story.
  • Options
    This is just a tragedy. End of story.
    Agreed
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Blaming Rush is like blaming D & D for teen suicide
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2012
    random73 said:

Woah, woah, woah I Don't believe Rush Linbaugh, douchbag or not, ever suggested unleashing gunfire on innocent civilians. Let's not be ridiculous here. This dude was obviously sick and deranged. I don't think talk radio is going to prove to be his tipp

I made no such implication.

• Options
    I was actually referring to Matt's comment "Rush helped promote this kind of behavior".

Bottom line guy is a crazy sick lunatic.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2012
    A horrible and tragic event. My thoughts and prrayers go out to the victims and their families.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I was actually referring to Matt's comment "Rush helped promote this kind of behavior".

Bottom line guy is a crazy sick lunatic.

You're right, I shouldn't have made that comment. I've been listening to the CNN and it sounds like this was too well planned to have been done within the last day or two. He was heavily armed, wearing a bulletproof vest, and gas mask. Normally something like this takes some time to build up to, not just pushed to do.

M.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Fuck this miserable, deranged and damaged individual.
    My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their familes. It would be great if WB would extend some profits to the victims somehow.
  • Options
    No worries Matt. I'm not interested in fighting with anybody. You're still loved.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Terrible and very, very sad. Of course people will try to interpret and understand this, as well as try to use and exploit it, but the bottom line is that it is sad and a terrible waste.
  • Options
    random73 said:

No worries Matt. I'm not interested in fighting with anybody. You're still loved.

That's good, I'm not looking to go From Zero to Fight Club with anyone either. :) I should watched the news for more info before going with my initial gut reaction.

M
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Fuck this miserable, deranged and damaged individual.
    My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their familes. It would be great if WB would extend some profits to the victims somehow.

I have no idea what WB is going to do but we might be able to do something. Donate comics for a sale to help families or something. Anybody have any experience with that sort of thing?
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    They have dropped the initial death total from 14 to 12, also a three-month-old victim is okay and has been discharged to the care of her parents.
    gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-colo-movie-theater-14-people-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Uh. No. They wont be pulling the movie and from what i heard, no he was not mimiking a villain unless you call being a terrorist mimiking a movie.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    All those wanted to do was go see a movie. That's all. And that fucking coward just basically layed down for the cops. Big man. Coward.