Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tragedy in Colorado: 12 killed and 59 wounded at a showing of Dark Knight

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Matt said:

Oh....and if 1 out of 90 results in death....gauranteed that one life is enough for Batman not to use rubber bullets. Don't just use the wiki article...look at the rest in context. If it resulted in one lost life...Batman wouldn't use it.

Okay, initially you're referencing real-world instances, than shifting it to the world of Batman. In that case, when Batman says "rubber bullets" he really means "nerf bullets."

M
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Lol. You guys crack me up. Do the research...rubber bullets kill. No justification...all the evidence is there. Theres a reason they dont use them as a last resort or ban them outright. I dont see them banning bananas for riot control. Miller wrote that in the early 80's...when there probably wasn't enough to say what harm those bullets do. The facts remains that Batman used bullets knowing that they kill. It doesnt ruin TDKR for me. It's Millers Batman....i can picture him doing it because the odds of him killing people are low...but it happens but its a last resort for him. It makes Batman more of a badass in my eyes. He used machine guns with rubber bullets...he didnt use a handgun...huge difference. I'm sure victims of rubber bullets would rather have been hit with a banana instead. Hahahaha...i think i got new meme!
    I was talking this over with some other people and we've decided riot police should only use fruit now, and when a protester gets hit with the fruit, they have to leave the area immediately. Same with the protesters, though. They have to use fruit as well.

"Crap! I got hit with a banana. Right, I'll see you guys at the next rally."

:)

Also, it's a crap argument from the beginning, because you're trying to attribute real-world concepts to a comic book. That pretty much never works.
    Sounds like those rioters could use some training!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

M

Damn...Beat me to it. Classic sketch.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Torchsong said:

Lol. You guys crack me up. Do the research...rubber bullets kill. No justification...all the evidence is there. Theres a reason they dont use them as a last resort or ban them outright. I dont see them banning bananas for riot control. Miller wrote that in the early 80's...when there probably wasn't enough to say what harm those bullets do. The facts remains that Batman used bullets knowing that they kill. It doesnt ruin TDKR for me. It's Millers Batman....i can picture him doing it because the odds of him killing people are low...but it happens but its a last resort for him. It makes Batman more of a badass in my eyes. He used machine guns with rubber bullets...he didnt use a handgun...huge difference. I'm sure victims of rubber bullets would rather have been hit with a banana instead. Hahahaha...i think i got new meme!
    I was talking this over with some other people and we've decided riot police should only use fruit now, and when a protester gets hit with the fruit, they have to leave the area immediately. Same with the protesters, though. They have to use fruit as well.

"Crap! I got hit with a banana. Right, I'll see you guys at the next rally."

:)

Also, it's a crap argument from the beginning, because you're trying to attribute real-world concepts to a comic book. That pretty much never works.
    Sounds like those rioters could use some training!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

M

Damn...Beat me to it. Classic sketch.

Can never get enough Monty Python into the mix!

M

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    To bring this whole thing full circle, when I explained this discussion to my wife:

"So, right now people are dropping like flies in Syria, it's possible Israel may be going to war with Iran, thousands of people still don't have jobs, our upcoming election is a choice between a turd sandwich and giant douchebag, the Chinese are cheating every chance they get during the Olympics...and all you and your friends can argue about is whether a fictional character would use rubber bullets with intent to kill or not?"*

Of course I hit her with the obvious response...say it with me: "Batman is real." :)

* Yes, I embellished the hell out of it, but her sentiment was the same. :)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Just to throw this out there, real lead bullets also only CAN kill. Not every person shot just drops. Tupac and 50 took at least 10 shots between them and they both made it.....Tupac got more later that he didn't which only goes to prove that sometimes the real ones kill and sometimes they don't.

Also one banana killed the entire O'Doyle family in Billy Madison
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

To bring this whole thing full circle, when I explained this discussion to my wife:

"So, right now people are dropping like flies in Syria, it's possible Israel may be going to war with Iran, thousands of people still don't have jobs, our upcoming election is a choice between a turd sandwich and giant douchebag, the Chinese are cheating every chance they get during the Olympics...and all you and your friends can argue about is whether a fictional character would use rubber bullets with intent to kill or not?"*

Of course I hit her with the obvious response...say it with me: "Batman is real." :)

* Yes, I embellished the hell out of it, but her sentiment was the same. :)

This is why I love my marriage, the husband wouldn't question Batman's realness he would just argue about whether he would use rubber bullets with intent to kill.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

This is why I love my marriage, the husband wouldn't question Batman's realness he would just argue about whether he would use rubber bullets with intent to kill.

To be fair to my wife, this conversation actually happened and is 100% verbatim:

(Playing Batman: Arkham Asylum for the first time. I believe it uses Kevin Conroy's voice in it. At least that's what she thought.)

Wife: "Oh thank God. They used Batman's real voice for this game."

Me: (sarcastic) "That's right dear. Thank God he had time to wrest himself away from the Batcave to go in and record some audio before going after the Joker."

Wife: " . . . "

So deep down, she thinks Batman is real, too! :)