Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Books $3.99?

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I do not want ads in my trade or HC (minus the last page or two) so maybe that is what DC is viewing digital as a premium user supported model.

Matthew
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Torchsong said:

Planeis said:

How about this? How about they try it. Theyve had digital out for a year and we havent seen them do it with one single title.

You're correct. They've done it with 5. Direct to digital (no print book). 99 cents a download. http://www.readdcentertainment.com/DC-Digital-First/comics-collection/447

Now that's for single issues, admittedly not a "subscription". Still a buck an issue equates to 10 for $10.

Your subscription model also exists, but not from the Big 2. Not yet.

Shonen Jump Alpha arrives weekly to people's iPads or other digital devices. $30 a year gets you 48 issues (they have a couple skip weeks), and each issue clocks it at around 180 pages.

I'd imagine DC and Marvel are watching this to see how it pays off...if it pays off...for Viz Communications.

Plus there's been grumblings about getting the Marvel DCU online for mobile devices...and if that happens katie bar the door. $60 a year for unlimited access to their back catalog? Can't be beat.

Not a subscription, not a normal length comic (some are 10 pages), not part of the regular universe.

Look, its a ok price and maybe I'll even buy some. Just saying, they probably had to deal with retailer backlash last year when they relaunched everything and went digital. That would have been the time to offer a big title at a digital subscription because they were already dealing with a backlash and were already advertising a ton for the new 52 and digital, and btw getting a lot of free press too.
  • Options
    I do not and will not buy $3.99 comics. I haven't bought a Marvel book (besides daredevil) in recent memory because of this. And, yes, I think it stinks. I would love to read Wolverine, Thor, Xmen, but there's no way I'm paying 4 bucks. The same goes for DC. I don't buy any of the $3.99 issues. The new Batman stuff, etc., all out. Not gonna do it. If all books eventually get that high I'm OUT.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited August 2012
    random73 said:

David_D said:

Planeis said:

David_D said:

jaydee74 said:

Working for a major publishing company who deals with digital versions of their printed material, there is actually a lot that goes into making digital versions from coding, and resizing for the particular device and other aspects that I'm not as familiar with but it takes people to make that happen and those people have salaries and whatnot so it costs money. Also, when it comes to digital, people who subscribe to digital versions of magazine don't come anywhere near the amount of people that get that same subscription via print. Other than remembering that Wired Magazine is the top selling digital magazine for subscriptions, I forget how many copies it actually sells but I do know it's lets then 75,000 which isn't very good. Digital subscriptions have a long way to go before they start making money for companies.

That is a good point, too.

And remember-- even if Marvel and DC had the hypothetical 10 issues for $10 subscriptions to try to cut out the middle men and get right at their consumers... they would still need to FIND their consumers. And make their consumers aware that these subscriptions are available in sufficient enough numbers to sell the kind of volume of subscriptions that justifies that deeply discounted price. And messaging that out to present readers, and especially these would-be new readers, also costs money.
    Well you must be right. They should just keep doing things the eay theyve been doing them. That way the market will shrink and shrink and prices will go up and up.

How about this? How about they try it. Theyve had digital out for a year and we havent seen them do it with one single title.
    Except that they aren't doing things they way they used to do them. New things are being tried. Day and date digital is only just a year old. Digital firsts are less than a year old I believe. And isn't there another thread where deeply discounted subscriptions are being offered? Just because they are not doing what you think they should does not mean they are not trying anything.

I think sometimes as the fan- as the end user- we believe we have the vantage point to see what they all should do. And, hey, maybe a fan does have that answer. But how likely is it that the people who see all the real numbers, do this day in and day out, and depend on this business for their livelihood and health insurance just aren't thinking of something that one of us have thought of?
    dude that really sounds like you are just defending the status quo. I've said it before and i'll say it again. Something has got to change. In order to buy comics in 2012 you have to

a) know that you like comics (not a lot of filks stumbling across comics in the grocery store while mom is shopping like when we were kids)

b) know where to find comics (actively seek out a specialty store or website) (what other product in the world actively and deliberately limits its exposure to potential buyers)

c) have the money to buy comics ($3.99 price point is not holding up to a cost/benefit anaylysis for say 15 minutes entertainment)

i think that for comics to survive in the 21st century they MUST get into more hands. people like comics, not just us geeks but people in general. Why do we make comics hard to find? Comic art and writing is arguably better that perhaps it has ever been. Unfortunatley most "civilians" concept of what a comic is is 40 years out of date. i hope that the digital options available on tablets like the i pad will increase comics exposuer in the general public and i respect the hell out of Mark Waid for putting his money where his mouth is (literally) to launch his Thrillbent project. Even without digital i think that putting comics by the impulse items next to the frakking tabloids would result in greater sales that those generated by the...what 1200? specialty shops across America. Why the hell are comics not in every Wal-Mart in the country?
    I understand how it might seem like I am defending the status quo, but a couple things--

I am not defending their decisions, as they did not consult me, and it is not on me to defend them. Rather, I think that there have been some context missing from some of the criticisms being made, as well as some of the plans being suggested. So I have tried to add some context, or even some questions, where I think it adds to the conversation. If I had an argument to push, it is that 'lowering prices or increasing advertising is not as simple as it seems' and 'comics books and magazines are very different things'. I think there are complexities that are being left out of some of the suggestions being made.

But I have no percentage in defending what DC or Marvel is doing as being The Right Way. Though whenever we have these conversations, I am reminded that there are people doing this for a living. Most of us don't. And they have access to a lot more information than we do as fans. And as much as we may love to read our comics, the stakes are higher for them, as this is their living.

So, sure, that doesn't guarantee they are making the right decisions...and of course, a lot of their decisions won't be pleasing to some of us as individuals. And it is ones right to be upset when they feel they aren't being served. But the big bigger picture is... well, bigger.

And I also tend to think twice before just assuming they are dullards and they just don't see the obvious things we do. And, no, I am not saying that everyone that is being critical is reducing it to 'they are all dumb'. But I think there is some of that tone in this conversation.

My knee jerk reaction whenever we as fans start getting proscriptive about what the publishers should do and how they run their business is to doubt us more than to doubt them. As they are the ones with more information, more experience, and more at stake than most of us. You know what I mean?

And regarding whether the status quo even IS status quo-- things have changed a lot in just the last year to 18 months. Has our experience as print customers changed much? No. Have prices dropped? Hell no. But to even think of the print end of comics these days buries the lead when it comes to the spread of comics, as with what you are talking about.

The day and date digital and the success of Comixology is a big deal. No, we don't get to see and pick over those numbers the way we get to the direct market sales, so the fact that comics on tablets and mobile are doing so well doesn't get as much chatter as I think it should around here.

This is just on a quick Google, but there are a lot of stories like this being reported out there, based on the charts that can be seen. According to their SDCC press release, Comixology boasted 75 Million downloads as of July 2012.. It is being written up in mainstream media as basically the iTunes of comics, as in stories like this one.

Will it be enough? We'll see. But I would say that comics distribution has changed more in the past two years than in the prior 20. So if that is status quo, it is certainly a pretty dynamic status quo. Here's hoping.

(And, this reminds me, it is Thursday, time to go buy the new Legends of the Dark Knight for 99 cents)

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    What is the price point when a majority of Comic Book readers stop buying single issues? When the price first starting going to $3.99, many thought that was going to be it, but clearly it was not.

My current buying habits are about 85% trades and 15% single issues. As soon as the few monthlies I get go over the $2.50 price (after DCBS discount), I will be done with it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

My current buying habits are about 85% trades and 15% single issues. As soon as the few monthlies I get go over the $2.50 price (after DCBS discount), I will be done with it.

That sounds about like where I am, but throw in a digital percentage. Maybe 70% trades/20% singles/10% digital. I'm not sure what my "breaking point" is but I know they haven't reached it yet. If a book is $4, I won't be happy about it, but if it features a character I like, with a writer and artist whose work I enjoy, I'd probably still buy it.

With me it's always been a monthly "allowance" I give myself. I try to stick to it, but some months are better than others. If the books get more expensive? Well, that's just fewer books I can buy.

And I'm kinda with Dave in that I don't think these companies (the people who run them) are as dumb as we like to think they are.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

What is the price point when a majority of Comic Book readers stop buying single issues? When the price first starting going to $3.99, many thought that was going to be it, but clearly it was not.

With Marvel or DC once their titles started hitting $2.50 I cut way back on what I bought. With Indy companies I expect to pay a higher cover price. But currently for new stuff I read it all in trades. The only single issues I buy are older stuff that isn't out in trades.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    @david_d I can live with that clarification. Every job is easy to the person who has never done it. I'm tracking with you there and I agree that the comics landscape has probably changed more in the last 20 months than in the last 20 years. And i think you are agreeing with my basic thesis as well, "if comics are to survive they need to get into more hands". I think, digital media provides a way for that to happen. I also think trying to predict the future is like a gorilla playing the stock market but I do it anyway.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I think one of the biggest problems for me is that I haven't paid cover price for a comic since around 1988.

Golden Eagle offered a 10% discount to customers with a pull list. Then when I was an employee I got 20%. Then I discovered DCBS and I get 40% off.

So the sticker shock of full-price digital comics is unbearable.

For people who are used to walking into their LCS and paying $3.99, digital is awesome. They can shop from their bed and be reading comics 1 minute later.

I think one of the things that is really kicking my ass is that Marvel doesn't discount their books after a month or even six. At least DC gives me a buck off if I want 30 days. Why does Marvel not match that deal?

Bry
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    brydeemer said:

I think one of the things that is really kicking my ass is that Marvel doesn't discount their books after a month or even six. At least DC gives me a buck off if I want 30 days. Why does Marvel not match that deal?

I think what Jason Wood learned some time back at a stockholders' meeting still applies.

They charge what they do because they can.

As long as the die-hard fans complain amongst themselves yet keep on buying, Marvel (and DC) will continue to soak them.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    WetRats said:

I think what Jason Wood learned some time back at a stockholders' meeting still applies.

As long as the die-hard fans complain amongst themselves yet keep on buying, Marvel (and DC) will continue to soak them.

Exactly. We could all be reading cheaper comics if we all stopped paying $4. They'd be back to $3 very quickly.

Bry

• Options
    brydeemer said:

WetRats said:

Exactly. We could all be reading cheaper comics if we all stopped paying $4. They'd be back to $3 very quickly.

Bry
    Yep.

But good luck on convincing folks to give up their Batman/JLA/Avengers/X-Men/Whatever.

Hell, I'll pay whatever they make me to keep reading the Legion.
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

For people who are used to walking into their LCS and paying $3.99, digital is awesome. They can shop from their bed and be reading comics 1 minute later.

For some of us, though, the digital comic isn't really a desirable option, prices notwithstanding.

Speaking for myself, I am not interested in digital comics, no matter how inexpensive or more convenient they might be. I want the physical copy. I want the book itself, which I can file away with the rest of my collection, and which I can hold in my hand. I feel like I really own it, more so than I do with a digital copy which is held somewhere in an electronic Cloud and can't even be transferred to my hard drive.

I don't have anything against digital comics per se. I've tried them, and I think they're okay. I think they could very well change the dynamic of the industry, and I'm not against that. I just don't want to buy or collect my copies that way. I'd rather pay the full $2.99 or even $3.99 for print.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited August 2012
    jaydee74 said:

Maybe like the video game industry is starting to realize (EA recently) that what they've been charging isn't working, and adjusting down accordingly, the comics industry will too, soon hopefully.

Not if it's a Brian Michael Bendis book who insists that people want to pay $3.99 for a book because guess what? People pay $3.99 for a book and it's not going to change unless people start voting with their wallet and don't buy that book.
    I keep pointing this out, so forgive me if you've heard it before. Here are the ten best selling comics last month:

1) Walking Dead 100 - $3.99
    2) Avengers vs X-Men 7 - $3.99
    3) Avengers vs X-Men 8 - $3.99
    4) Batman 11 - $3.99
    5) JLA 11 - $3.99
    6) Before Watchmen Ozy 1 - $3.99
    7) AVX VS 4 - $3.99
    8) Detective Comics 11 - $3.99
    9) Green Lantern 11 - $2.99
    10) Action Comics 11 - $3.99

If I owned a comic shop, I'd prefer a $3.99 comic, not just because they sell better, but I get an extra 41 cents of profit for the exact same shelf space. So, we keep telling people on the internet that we hate $4 comics, but we keep buying them. What are publishers and shops to think?

• Options
    edited August 2012

So, we keep telling people on the internet that we hate $4 comics, but we keep buying them. What are publishers and shops to think?

That we're a bunch of whiny, weak-willed sheep who will pay whatever they ask us to no matter how much we may bleat about it.*

*Note that I said "we". As noted above, I'm guilty as charged.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

That we're a bunch of whiny, weak-willed sheep who will pay whatever they ask us to no matter how much we may bleat about it.*

The Big Two are my shepherd, I shall not want
    They makes me down to cry
    Through pastures green they leadeth me the Big Event through
    With colored books they releaseth my soul
    They maketh me to pay four dollars for 32 pages of paper
    They converteth my savings to pauper's wages
    For lo, they hath great expenses and low revenues
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of saying "No more"
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll put their ledgers deeply into the red.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

The Big Two are my shepherd, I shall not want
    They makes me down to cry
    Through pastures green they leadeth me the Big Event through
    With colored books they releaseth my soul
    They maketh me to pay four dollars for 32 pages of paper
    They converteth my savings to pauper's wages
    For lo, they hath great expenses and low revenues
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of saying "No more"
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll put their ledgers deeply into the red.

^:)^

Bleating and babbling we fell on their necks with a roar
    Wave upon wave of fans of the Avengers
    March angrily out of the internet into the store.

Apologies to David Gilmour.
  • Options

I keep pointing this out, so forgive me if you've heard it before. Here are the ten best selling comics last month:

4) Batman 11 - $3.99
    5) JLA 11 - $3.99
    7) AVX VS 4 - $3.99

Do you have a conclusion as to why this is?

I do. I've noticed that DC adds a back-up story (or extras pages) to the most popular books. Either what they are pretty sure will be popular or becomes popular.
  • Options

I do. I've noticed that DC adds a back-up story (or extras pages) to the most popular books. Either what they are pretty sure will be popular or becomes popular.

Yep.

DC at least pretends to be adding value for the premium cost, Marvel just charges based on popularity.
  • Options
    Its interesting to me that numerous people just on this thread are saying "we love comic, we've stopped or drastically slowed our purchases because of the prices" and yet there are others who insist there is no market for a lower price.

jaydee74 said:

Maybe like the video game industry is starting to realize (EA recently) that what they've been charging isn't working, and adjusting down accordingly, the comics industry will too, soon hopefully.

Not if it's a Brian Michael Bendis book who insists that people want to pay $3.99 for a book because guess what? People pay $3.99 for a book and it's not going to change unless people start voting with their wallet and don't buy that book.

4) Batman 11 - $3.99
    5) JLA 11 - $3.99
    7) AVX VS 4 - $3.99

If I owned a comic shop, I'd prefer a $3.99 comic, not just because they sell better, but I get an extra 41 cents of profit for the exact same shelf space. So, we keep telling people on the internet that we hate $4 comics, but we keep buying them. What are publishers and shops to think?

Who keeps buying them? thats my whole point. Yes, collectors do, but whole swaths of us don't.

• Options
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

And little books that sell 20,000, yea um... sorry if your one of them but screw those people.

Excuse me?

Do you wish to rephrase this, perhaps?
    No. I dont. If your a fan of a small comic that a tiny amount of readers buy, fine. But prices on other comics shouldnt be jacked up to pay for it.
    OK, you whiny little tosser, here's the deal. Nobody who sets the prices of comics reads these forums.

Nobody.

However, several of "those people" you said to screw do read these forums.

So, speaking as one of "those people", I'd just like to say get some perspective, learn some manners, and while you're at it, learn how to use an apostrophe.
    Correct your own spelling or grammar. Sometimes writing on a smartphone, I don't bother with little things like that.

Here's how it works. Tiny comics don't make money. Big ones like X-Men and JLA do. So the tiny ones are most likely in the red (money losers) at a $2.99 or $3.99 price point. But they get published because comics they might be linked to like Avengers or X-Men are big time money makers.

If you want to support a small comic, fine. Do so. Other people are being punished by helping to pay for your comic. And the higher overall prices that go towards the bottoms line, that again, help to pay for the tiny comics are also driving other people completely out of the market.

• Options
    Hey @wetrats... is it normal to tell someone to get some manners while calling them a jerk off?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Hey @wetrats... is it normal to tell someone to get some manners while calling them a jerk off?

After giving them a chance to rephrase their insulting language, sure.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Here's how it works. Tiny comics don't make money. Big ones like X-Men and JLA do. So the tiny ones are most likely in the red (money losers) at a $2.99 or $3.99 price point. But they get published because comics they might be linked to like Avengers or X-Men are big time money makers.

Not exactly.

Books like Daredevil or Hawkeye with smaller readership are priced lower so folks are more likely to try them and give them a chance to grow.

This is an investment, not a subsidy.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Again, I'm not sure that is really what happens. I think Marvel or DC try the smaller books out, hoping they make a little money, and yes they may lose a little bit or make a little bit, but I don't think the people are DC say "let's make Batman $3.99 so we can make a bunch of comics that aren't profitable!" They try out other books, and based on sales of that title they cancel them. You can argue that if a book loses money than by default books making money cover it (and that can be true), but I've never seen anything from the Big 2 saying a book was losing money, just that the sales weren't where they needed to be. Sure they could be losing on smaller titles, or they could cancel them before they get to that point. We won't ever really know for sure, so the point is kind of moot.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Its interesting to me that numerous people just on this thread are saying "we love comic, we've stopped or drastically slowed our purchases because of the prices" and yet there are others who insist there is no market for a lower price.

I don't think anyone is saying there is no market for a lower price. Of course there is a market for lower prices. But is there ENOUGH market for a lower price-- a substantial enough increase in readers-- to make the lower price sustainable? That is what is being questioned, and that is the unknown you are expecting them to risk on. And, again the numbers Solitaire quotes should speak to this, if lowering the price would definitely add to the size of the readership, then shouldn't there be some $2.99 books breaking into the Top 10? There are $2.99 books out there with top creators on them, starring big characters. And they are not charting consistently enough to suggest that- on the large scale- people are making choices based on price. Because if that were the case, shouldn't there be more price conscious readers gravitating toward the $2.99 books and making them bigger hits?

The numbers that Solitaire is quoting are not proving that there is no market for a lower price. Rather, the consistent, ongoing demand for the $3.99 price proves that there is a market for that price. Now, it is not that the $3.99 price point is what is making people buy these books. But rather that price does not seem to be a predominant factor in the majority of readers when it comes to what they pick.

And, sure, there are clearly readers we hear from, including in this conversation, who do not take part at that price. But hearing from some individuals is only anecdotal evidence. The ongoing chart topping $3.99 speak to the macro. In conversations like this, we can hear from individuals, sure, and that is something. But in the numbers, especially spread out over the years of data we now have for $3.99 monthly books, we can see the actual trends. And the market continues to show us that the readership will keep supporting $3.99 books. Which, I would guess, hurts the motivation for publishers to drop the prices in the hopes that it will attract new readers to the fold. Heck, even when DC loudly declared they would "Hold the Line at $2.99" I don't think it had a sales effect. DItto for when Top Cow made that stand. It was the New 52 that got DC back up on the Top 10 list again... and even then largely with books that cost $3.99.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I have to sheepishly admit at this point that since i have been buying my comics at DCBS with the deep discount i forget to pay attention to the single issue price and really just look at my order and budget on the total. I then cull titles according to how much i am enjoying the titles and which stories i can live without. i rarely if ever pay attention to single issue price. :-\"
  • Options
    Nick said:

Again, I'm not sure that is really what happens. I think Marvel or DC try the smaller books out, hoping they make a little money, and yes they may lose a little bit or make a little bit, but I don't think the people are DC say "let's make Batman $3.99 so we can make a bunch of comics that aren't profitable!" They try out other books, and based on sales of that title they cancel them. You can argue that if a book loses money than by default books making money cover it (and that can be true), but I've never seen anything from the Big 2 saying a book was losing money, just that the sales weren't where they needed to be. Sure they could be losing on smaller titles, or they could cancel them before they get to that point. We won't ever really know for sure, so the point is kind of moot.

Honestly, this whole thread is moot.

We're just ranting and venting and speculating.

Speaking of speculating, we know that, for instance, Captain Atom had lousy sales from the get-go, but it was given a year before being canceled, so you're right, it probably wasn't losing money, but not making enough to justify taking up one of the 52 slots when something else might sell better. But it was worth the investment of a year in that slot to give it a chance to either grow in sales or at least increase the visibility of the character and enhance the value of the property.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    WetRats said:

Nick said:

Honestly, this whole thread is moot.

We're just ranting and venting and speculating.

Speaking of speculating, we know that, for instance, Captain Atom had lousy sales from the get-go, but it was given a year before being canceled, so you're right, it probably wasn't losing money, but not making enough to justify taking up one of the 52 slots when something else might sell better. But it was worth the investment of a year in that slot to give it a chance to either grow in sales or at least increase the visibility of the character and enhance the value of the property.
    Agreed-- because, remember, if we are talking about the Big 2, it has been years, maybe decades, since they described themselves as primarily publishers. They are character based entertainment companies. Their publishing divisions, while important to us, are actually a small slice of the pie. Now that doesn't mean they can publish books at a loss long term- there certainly are cutoff points, as we have seen. But taking a risk on a smaller performing book is an investment. And a book will get cancelled long before it is having so much of an impact on the whole line that the better performing books need to cover for it. And, sure, they will milk their successes for as much money as the market will bear. But I don't think the idea that the smaller books are somehow receiving welfare from the more successful books really washes. I don't see the sense in blaming the readers of the smaller tier books. Especially when we can assume those books are at least breaking even enough to keep getting published.

And those smaller tier books are almost always priced at $2.99. You should be thanking those readers, @Planeis as they are the ones voting with their wallet to support books that are at the lower price. Aren't they the people that are supposed to be on your side?