Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Books $3.99?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Bit of a side question: Do you guys think DC will ever have a sale on the New 52 books (not just the first issues), or just keep having sales on the pre-New 52 books?
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    edited August 2012

But even assuming they work that out, if people get used to buying comics without ads, and suddenly there are ads, they’re going to expect to pay less for them. But if the publishers charge less, they'll be undercutting the brick-&-mortars.
    Exactly. As soon as digital starts outselling print, publishers will care less and less about brick & mortars. That's when they will start making these moves.

Since most money in publishing periodicals is made on ads, and since ads generate more money if their audiences are bigger, it certainly stands to reason that they want the biggest audiences they can get. The easiest way to do that is to keep lowering prices until you eventually get to $0. Imagine what the audience of Spider-man or Batman would be if it was free.

Bry
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Bit of a side question: Do you guys think DC will ever have a sale on the New 52 books (not just the first issues), or just keep having sales on the pre-New 52 books?

Eventually, sure.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    edited August 2012
    WetRats said:

Eventually, sure.
    I know it seemed a silly question. :) I just got all amped up for the New 52 JLA book. LOVE MARTIAN MANHUNTER!!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

I've often told my design students that you can invest in this $60-80 book on design which will show you the work of many creators. Or you can buy a $10-20 subscription to Wired and see the cutting edge work some of Madison Aves. best are putting out every month.

Folks who only look at the cutting edge, without having learned the fundamentals in that textbook tend to design a lot of ugly-ass, unreadable junk.*

*Oh look, Stewart has YET ANOTHER high horse!
    This is what happens when I leave for three days! :)

1) I'm telling them this in my classroom. They're learning the fundamentals.
    2) I'll elaborate further on the book in question - it's not a textbook, per se, but one of those amazingly hyper-expensive "Look at my brilliance" design compendiums. You've seen them. Hell, you probably own one.
    3) Replace Wired with - insert your popular magazine of choice here. I've gone as far as to say "steal it from your doctor's office" :)
    4) The point being - don't look at (and pay) for an expensive book that tells you all about design - LOOK at it and how it's being used around you. Doesn't cost a dime.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

I've often told my design students that you can invest in this $60-80 book on design which will show you the work of many creators. Or you can buy a $10-20 subscription to Wired and see the cutting edge work some of Madison Aves. best are putting out every month.

Folks who only look at the cutting edge, without having learned the fundamentals in that textbook tend to design a lot of ugly-ass, unreadable junk.*

*Oh look, Stewart has YET ANOTHER high horse!
    This is what happens when I leave for three days! :)

1) I'm telling them this in my classroom. They're learning the fundamentals.
    2) I'll elaborate further on the book in question - it's not a textbook, per se, but one of those amazingly hyper-expensive "Look at my brilliance" design compendiums. You've seen them. Hell, you probably own one.
    3) Replace Wired with - insert your popular magazine of choice here. I've gone as far as to say "steal it from your doctor's office" :)
    4) The point being - don't look at (and pay) for an expensive book that tells you all about design - LOOK at it and how it's being used around you. Doesn't cost a dime.
    Ah. No argument at all, then.

As referenced in my footnote, this is one of "those" subjects for me.

I've printed far too much ugly-ass unreadable junk by people trying to ape the cutting edge without any grounding in the fundamentals, and then listened to them blame the printer for their incompetence.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

DC has regular (weekly?) .99 sales on Comixology. Also, virtually all of the books (DC, Marvel, Image, etc.) on Comixology drop in price after a month (or few).

I like Comixology, especially their panel-by-panel reading, and I wish ALL of the publishers were there. I don't want to have a different app for Dark Horse, and on top of that it's an inferior app that they apparently don't have the resources to fix on a timely basis.

U2 could have their own app that just sold and played U2 songs, and it might be cheaper because they wouldn't have to pay iTunes or AmazonMP3. But it would also be a giant pain.

I want all my comics in one place on a reliable app.

The difference though is that if iTunes goes belly up, you still have your U2 mp3s.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think that we really need to start pimping books to non-readers if we want the prices to come down. I know that people will object to having to do that because it isn't our job and the publishers have mismanaged their approach towards getting stuff out there into the wider public view (and I share that view), but I think we need to do it
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I'm starting to think that we really need to start pimping books to non-readers if we want the prices to come down. I know that people will object to having to do that because it isn't our job and the publishers have mismanaged their approach towards getting stuff out there into the wider public view (and I share that view), but I think we need to do it

You spread the gospel of sequential art @johnathanConstantine!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

We also need to get the younger generation into comics. I have so far gotten both my sons and both of my cousin's sons into comics. Took my cousin's 4 year old to Free comic book day this year and he spent at least an hour picking out what he was gonna buy and then close to 30 minutes picking out his free comics. He is just learning to read. But he will look at the pictures and then make up a story to go along with the artwork.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

We also need to get the younger generation into comics. I have so far gotten both my sons and both of my cousin's sons into comics. Took my cousin's 4 year old to Free comic book day this year and he spent at least an hour picking out what he was gonna buy and then close to 30 minutes picking out his free comics. He is just learning to read. But he will look at the pictures and then make up a story to go along with the artwork.

Too a degree, I think they just need to get some books on newsstands. Not every book but at least one mature book, one teen type book and a hell of a lot of kids books
  • Options
    @Torchsong: thought you'd appreciate this fine example of graphic design:

• Options
    WetRats said:

Reminds me of how SFX magazine would always cover up just enough of the “F” to make you think it could be an “E.”
  • Options

Reminds me of how SFX magazine would always cover up just enough of the “F” to make you think it could be an “E.”

Yep. But that was intentional. This was either incompetence on the part of the layout artist or incompetence on the part of the editor.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Funny either way, though!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    WetRats said:

I worked at the New York version of that magazine. It's pretty cool.