Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Is anyone else getting a message that their comments need to be approved?
    I'm trying to post a link about the recent Spider-Man storyline and keep getting this message.

I think that is a glitch that happens sometimes. No setting have been changed, or there is a chance that just trying again later it will work. Or, could you please PM me the link and I will try it. Thanks.
  • Options

DAR said:

Saw a tweet that said Captain America actor Robert Redford to retire. Ummm.....

I think @DAR knows his audience and as comic geeks, Redford's last big role was in Winter Soldier.
    True, Winter Soldier was Redford's most recent comics-related work. But I think we're not giving the hip young kids of today enough credit. Let's not forget he was also in Barefoot in the Park with Barbarella herself!

All joking aside, though, while I certainly understand that it can be annoying to see artists we love only remembered for more recent or popular works, I do also understand @bralinator 's point that not every person who saw Winter Soldier is immediately going to hit IMDb and seek out complete filmographies of everyone involved.

With so many new movies, comics, albums, etc. coming out every year it is increasingly difficult to spotlight that which has come before. I think sometimes it's easy for us to forget how much time has passed since we were growing up. If I were a kid today I would feel overwhelmed.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Don't forget Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Don't forget Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!

It does make a great double feature with Sundance Cassidy and Butch the Kid!

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited November 2016
    fredzilla said:

Swung by a neighborhood Walgreens to pick up some pictures and saw some new MiniMates on the shelves. I grabbed a Spyder Knight and Man-Thing. I haven't told my wife yet, because it just seemed awkward,"Hey, honey! Look at my mini Man-Thing!"

Getting older sucks, right?

btw, i'm stealing the monkey rim-shot.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited November 2016
    Sorry, wrong link in previous post.

This is the link to the Justice League Dark Trailer.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @mwhitt80 Should take notice....Atlanta United FC just unveiled their Kit for the inaugural campaign.

Better brush up on the lyrics to "Who ate all the Pies".
  • Options

Sorry, wrong link in previous post.

This is the link to the Justice League Dark Trailer.

While I am pleased to see Justice League Dark getting some love from the studio (it was in my opinion one of the most underrated gems of The New 52) I'm a little annoyed to see Batman front and center on the DVD cover and appearing so heavily in the trailer. This isn't The Outsiders.

Don't get me wrong. I understand it from a marketing point of view. It's still disappointing, though, especially knowing that J.M. DeMatteis is attached to the project. His run on JLD toward the end was pretty solid and he told some fantastic stories without including any members of the "Justice League proper".

As I said, though, I understand that audiences need a bridge and Batman can serve as that bridge. I guess I can still hope that perhaps audiences will be intrigued enough by what they see to check out more Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, and Swamp Thing stories and perhaps even discover some of the members/affiliates absent from the trailer such as Black Orchid, Madame Xanadu , and The Phantom Stranger.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

@mwhitt80 Should take notice....Atlanta United FC just unveiled their Kit for the inaugural campaign.

Better brush up on the lyrics to "Who ate all the Pies".

I ignore soccer stuff; sorry soccer people I just don't care. I'm sure it's a fun game, but no thanks.

I actively disliked hockey while it was in Atlanta. I wanted the NHL to fail because the Thrashers were a stupid team, owned by the same stupid group as the Hawks, that drained resources away from the team that I cared about. Once they left I started to watch a little puck. No clue what is going on, but I think it's at least interesting. I hope the NHL gets its tv situation in the USA worked out so I can have the option to watch more games and does well.

So the importance of this lesson: I don't and won't care about the soccer team until it screws with the Falcons (which it won't because the NFL is Blank's private money press).
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And this article is why you never trust a government projection of revenue (or savings). It's also why public funds should not be used to support the building (renovation) of stadiums.
    So Congratulations Atlanta!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited November 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

And this article is why you never trust a government projection of revenue (or savings). It's also why public funds should not be used to support the building (renovation) of stadiums.
    So Congratulations Atlanta!

A minor league baseball stadium that will not be paid off until 2038!! - assuming that there are no additional renovations needed in the next 22 years.
  • Options
    I love that the city is talking about using 40 million to build a DLeague arena and just agreed to renovate Phillips Arena (Hawks home) for 192.5 million.

Now assuming the new arena goes through, the only US city that should be allowed to bid on the Olympics is Atlanta. We have an airport and hotels to accommodate the added influx; there are plenty of stadiums and arenas (university and professional). Just saying that if you want to do the common sense route...
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I actively disliked hockey while it was in Atlanta. I wanted the NHL to fail because the Thrashers were a stupid team, owned by the same stupid group as the Hawks, that drained resources away from the team that I cared about. Once they left I started to watch a little puck. No clue what is going on, but I think it's at least interesting. I hope the NHL gets its tv situation in the USA worked out so I can have the option to watch more games and does well.

So the importance of this lesson: I don't and won't care about the soccer team until it screws with the Falcons (which it won't because the NFL is Blank's private money press).

Hockey is my favorite sport, but you're right, the Thrashers were not a very good organization, though injuries played a part in that as well. They never drafted very well, and their best homegrown player had a car accident and was never the same player afterwards. They were competitive for a season or two, but never had the depth needed to be a threat to win the Cup.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Had a car accident that killed his teammate.

The Thrashers made me want to hate the NHL. After they moved back to Winnipeg I started casually watching hockey. It's not a bad sport; I feel like it's much more interesting than soccer.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

I love that the city is talking about using 40 million to build a DLeague arena and just agreed to renovate Phillips Arena (Hawks home) for 192.5 million.

Now assuming the new arena goes through, the only US city that should be allowed to bid on the Olympics is Atlanta. We have an airport and hotels to accommodate the added influx; there are plenty of stadiums and arenas (university and professional). Just saying that if you want to do the common sense route...

On behalf of New York City, I heartily support Atlanta being the only US city to bid on the Olympics.

(But, to be honest, I know very little about it. . . I just selfishly support any city that is not NYC bidding on the Olympics.)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Had a car accident that killed his teammate.

The Thrashers made me want to hate the NHL. After they moved back to Winnipeg I started casually watching hockey. It's not a bad sport; I feel like it's much more interesting than soccer.

I haven't watched football regularly since the early ’90s, and I haven’t watched the NFL since the ’80s. I prefer the flow and speed of hockey. I enjoy soccer and watch it fairly often, maybe once a week or every other week—usually the Bundesliga or Euro Champions where the flow of the game is generally a little tighter and more high-paced. An average NFL game lasts well over three hours during most of which nothing is happening, while an average NHL game lasts about two hours and twenty minutes. And when I watch soccer, it's usually on GolTV, where there are no commercials during the match. I'm done in well under two hours.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

On behalf of New York City, I heartily support Atlanta being the only US city to bid on the Olympics.

(But, to be honest, I know very little about it. . . I just selfishly support any city that is not NYC bidding on the Olympics.)
    Truthfully I Do not support atlanta as an Olympic city, but the American committee always wants to make a us city throw out a bid. There are only two cities that would not have to lay out absurd amounts of money for new Olympic stadiums, la and Atlanta (the wisdom of the village elders is already doing that for billionaires). So why not just nominate one of the two cities Everytime.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2016
    If I had it my way the NHL would only be in Canada, New England, and the Upper Midwest.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Mr_Cosmic said:

If I had it my way the NHL would only be in Canada, New England, and the Upper Midwest.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Anyone collect/play Pokemon TCG here??
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

:D
  • Options
    12"-18" of snow Friday...sigh
  • Options
    Well today for the first time in my adult life I paid for someone to come clean my house. The last few months have just been too much for us and housekeeping just wasn't up to our normal. I'll be honest it was weird, but I appreciated Ms. Phyllis's help so much.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Well today for the first time in my adult life I paid for someone to come clean my house. The last few months have just been too much for us and housekeeping just wasn't up to our normal. I'll be honest it was weird, but I appreciated Ms. Phyllis's help so much.

We did that at one point when both the wife and I were working jobs that kept us busy into the wee ungodlies and frankly when we were home we wanted to enjoy being home, not spend it doing more work.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

We did that at one point when both the wife and I were working jobs that kept us busy into the wee ungodlies and frankly when we were home we wanted to enjoy being home, not spend it doing more work.
    I'm not sure I can afford to do it monthly, but it was nice. She did a great job, and it took a ton of stress off my wife
  • Options
    I forgot to ask how was the dr. Who Daleks movie?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Never made it. Hopefully it'll show up on Netflix or something.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm about to leave work then head to Walmart for some fishing supplies (Shocking I know). Wake up tomorrow morning, help my wife, goto my parents try to catch a catfish or 2 with my nephew. Then if I am lucky spend black Friday in the gulf of Mexico trying to catch a snapper or 2 before the season ends.

So if all goes according to plan I'll be out of here for a few days and have a crazy story about giant fishes
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm about to leave work then head to Walmart for some fishing supplies (Shocking I know). Wake up tomorrow morning, help my wife, goto my parents try to catch a catfish or 2 with my nephew. Then if I am lucky spend black Friday in the gulf of Mexico trying to catch a snapper or 2 before the season ends.

So if all goes according to plan I'll be out of here for a few days and have a crazy story about giant fishes

Happy Thanksgiving, and good luck! If you don't end up with a crazy fish story, just make one up for us.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Happy Thanksgiving image