Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited April 2017
    There are a few things I do see happening in the new reality. TV money for sports is going to start falling. I have a feeling footband the NCAA are going to be the first victims (also the hardest hit).

The NFL is going to take a beating when the US tv dollars are forced to go down. They don't have a real market outside of the US.

The NBA positioned itself beautifully. By the time thier dollars go down the will a huge market in asia.

MLB is still in a good spot with an established global foot print and can further expand into global markets.

I'd have a comment about the NHL, but they screw themselves over constantly. So yeah. And for soccer the US is the international market to expand into.

It's going to be interesting.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Being a biological father to an amazing young man who recently passed away; despite having a great relationship with him and having always been on good terms with his mom, I learned the hard wad way that I was still very much on the outside looking in.

Going through some stuff I've not experienced before and putting serious thought into doing something positive with it.

My deepest condolences to @luke52, @ShaneKelly for your recent losses.

Sorry for bring anybody down, that was not my intent.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    For those of you who don't remember the advice from the movie Mallrats, here's a reminder about wedding proposals.

This week In Weird Fishing Updates

I went to the gulf coast this past weekend with every intention of getting a hook wet and trying to drown a few Berkeley Gulps warning don't get gulp juice on your hands, but it was way too windy.

In other not so weird news, I was put onto a new online fishing magazine called the mission. It has some great pictures and is free. It might be worth a look for those interested.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Warning: Don’t Get Gulp Juice on Your Hands is going to be the title of my next book.
    I'm a regular idea factory.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Interesting read concerning average pay rates for comic artists. I wonder how accurate it is?

http://johnchalos.deviantart.com/journal/average-pay-rates-for-comic-book-artists-391906146

Interesting read concerning average pay rates for comic artists. I wonder how accurate it is?

http://johnchalos.deviantart.com/journal/average-pay-rates-for-comic-book-artists-391906146

From what I know, I'd say most of what I saw there is accurate. There are very, very few artists who command more than $500/page these days, and I don't think any of them can put out twelve issues a year.
    The Eisner nominees are now up. Nice to see Sonny Liew and The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye get all the love they so richly deserve—six nominations!
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Had a Facebook memory come up today. May 5, 2010 was the day I received my first ever DCBS order. I had only 15 books in that order (that didn't last long!). I couldn't read any of them because I had too much grading to complete as the school year was wrapping up. Funny how as things change things also remain the same.

I received my newest shipment this past Wednesday and had 17 floppies and 2 trades. I haven't been able to read any of them because I'm stuck grading 8th grader's essays. Maybe I can get a couple in this weekend as a palate cleanser? Good times.
    DAR said:

I was looking at what movies I'm looking forward to this year and honestly not a lot that is comic related. I'll still see them. But I'd see Episode 8, Dunkirk, Blade Runner, Alien Covenant, War for Planet of Apes, Kong Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast, and Coco before.

Dunkirk looks bloody good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O7BtBnsG4

Anyone still wondering when the MCU is going to address the fact that Starlord & Sharon Carter are brother & sister?

This is great. Cartoon quotes from inspirational people, Zen Pencils does Nikola Tesla.

http://zenpencils.com/comic/tesla

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Ugh. I was watching the news tonight here in Denver, and the Mile High Comics Jason St. Superstore got hit by some really bad hail this afternoon. Skylights broke and water began leaking from the ceiling. It looks like they were able to minimize some of the loss by acting quickly, but that place is so big and there is merchandise everywhere, so I'm sure there's plenty of damage. They're not the only ones that got hit hard by the hail.
    My three year old has decided that fussing and tantrums might be an option for getting her way.

It hasn't been working out great for her. Time out has been working overtime. Which has led my daughter to say "That's not fair". She's 3, so we need to learn important lessons of life right now. Here are my most used comments.

"Daddy doesn't care about fair"
    "Do you really think that works on Daddy, because it doesn't"
    "Daddy's job isn't about being fair it's being daddy to a little girl"
    "Are done, because you still have to ..."
    mwhitt80 said:

My three year old has decided that fussing and tantrums might be an option for getting her way.

It hasn't been working out great for her. Time out has been working overtime. Which has led my daughter to say "That's not fair". She's 3, so we need to learn important lessons of life right now. Here are my most used comments.

"Daddy doesn't care about fair"
    "Do you really think that works on Daddy, because it doesn't"
    "Daddy's job isn't about being fair it's being daddy to a little girl"
    "Are done, because you still have to ..."

My standby was always, “Life isn't fair. It will beat you down and beat you down until you want to curl up in a ball and cry like a newborn baby. Better get used to it kid.”

I'm writing a book on parenting. I think it’ll be a hit.
    Here’s another one I like to say: “When life gives you lemons—and it will—you might as well just cut ’em in half and squeeze the juice right into your eyes for all the good it will do you.”
    Then there’s the classic: “Knock it off, or you'll be getting rutabagas for dinner.” That one never failed.
    edited May 2017
    In non-fishing news.

Turns out the boy kitten that we took in (please see posts about Peanutbutter the cat) was not getting fat. He never let us catch him since he went outside. Also the meowing we heard at night were his kittens. The two survivors we captured today are currently nursing on him.

And longtime listeners of the Crankcast will note his name is now Mrs. Peanutbutter.

Then there’s the classic: “Knock it off, or you'll be getting rutabagas for dinner.” That one never failed.

The Walla Walla Washington of vegetables
    mwhitt80 said:

The Walla Walla Washington of vegetables
    I do love a good callback.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I always got "Do you want something to cry/complain about?" and a stern look. :)

You didn't want something to cry/complain about...I assure you.
    I hope you guys had a good weekend and everyone that needed to called their moms/remembered cards and gifts for the special women's in our lives.

As for me. I had the joy of trying to move stuff out of my mother in law's house as we were cleaning her basement. She literally argued with us about trashing broken TV's; it was stressing her out having to get rid of things. I don't throw the word hoarder out, because there's a difference in thoughts of people that have too much stuff and a hoarder. She's in the early stages of becoming a hoarder; I can see the habits/mentality forming. My wife and I have been slowly forcing her to let go of things that are ruining her life. I'm fine with letting grown people live however they want, but when she constantly complain about the state of her house and stuff or about not "having help" I draw a line.

I don't like complaining period, especially when you are retired, have free time, and can do things to change your situation. So every time we go to her house we force her to give up more stuff. it's stressful for her during the process, but she seems grateful after the fact. So dealing with that until 4:30 and a five hour drive following was our mothers day.
    My wife went Goodwill hunting (what I call her thrift store/antique shop outings) with our son yesterday, and got to spend a few hours doing math with my daughter yesterday, which believe it or not is pretty much a perfect weekend for her. Then we had barbeque. Easy peasy for me.
    I thought I could start to set up what I need for my Patreon & do the work for my Transformers movie retrospective....I was wrong. It took me six days to get through all the movies.

On the Patreon front I have a blog post the catalogs every episode of The Random Trade Review, What would not be eligible for review, and what I have in the randomizer (aka the box).

I know, there are a lot of ones that are misaligned....I tried my best, but I couldn't get them on the same line without losing spacing.
    edited May 2017
    Fun fact while looking at Spider-Man Omnibuses I checked the page count for the two clone saga books. Over 2500 pages.

I got the first one around Christmas and thought geez this is huge no wonder people complained that it went on forever. 1250 is a huge story, but 2 Omnibuses worth of material (solicit reads like there will be 3), no wonder people quit caring about comics
    mwhitt80 said:

Fun fact while looking at Spider-Man Omnibuses I checked the page count for the two clone saga books. Over 2500 pages.

I got the first one around Christmas and thought geez this is huge no wonder people complained that it went on forever. 1250 is a huge story, but 2 Omnibuses worth of material (solicit reads like there will be 3), no wonder people quit caring about comics

Yeah, that's pretty much why the Clone Saga is on the ineligible list.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    mwhitt80 said:

Breaking this down:

If a normal book is 22 story pages, then
    2500/22 = 133.6 issues. If this was a one title story that came out monthly (which I know it was not) then 133.6/12 = a story that is 9.4 years long.