Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Dark Knight Rises Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    My only other small gripe was in two of the action scenes...I literally saw "bad guys" or goons or whatever...wandering stupidly into the fray to be punched by Bats or Catwoman. In one scene...dude was holding an Uzi and he didn't fire it once!

The other scene was a dude manning a gun on top of a tank or truck or something. He just stands there looking like an idiot...literally waiting for Batman to kick his face.

The two times this happened it pulled me out of the movie, and made me think the scenes were uncharacteristically lazy for Christopher Nolan.

Perhaps I am supposed to think the goons were instructed not not shoot or kill Batman, but it just looked like bad choreography and direction.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2012
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread is as good as any.
    My latest meme attempt:

Edit: I replaced the previous image with this revised one. The last one had Storm's cape coming out of Bruce's armpit, and I thought Storm looked a tad too small in relation to the other characters. Of course once I noticed my PS mistakes, I felt compelled to correct them. I apologize for killing the link in Matt's subsequent post.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread is as good as any.
    My latest meme attempt:

She must be pissed because Anne Hathaway makes everyone forget how sucky she was at being Catwoman!!

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally got to see this last night. Gotta say Im not really sure what I thought of it. I think it fell pretty flat for me overall. Some things were cool of course, but as a whole I dont think it was all that great. Not as good as either of the first two movies in any way.
  • Options
    Since nobody else mentioned it it must have been my imagination (I wasnt sure)n but I couldve sworn I saw Bruce (or someone) step into the cave behind JGL in the end scenes. Looked like Bruce in the original Begins Spalunking outfit. JGL walks away from camera towards the cave/water fall and another figure steps in from off camera (right side of screen). What happened to make me see that?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I finally had a chance to see it last weekend. Didn't love it as much as Dark Knight (which in hindsight feels like the closest we got to a regular Batman film in this series, since it's the only one that deals simply with him versus a member of his rogues gallery, minus all the League of Shadows stuff), but I think I liked it more, or at least just as much, as Batman Begins.

I agree with David D, the story was so big that it strained what I expect from a Batman film. I never imagined I'd see so much of Batman fighting during the day. It felt like much more of an over the top action film than what we've had previously. War on the streets? Fusion bombs? It worked for me, but there were times I worried it wouldn't.

Although I enjoyed all three films, I'm ready for a different take. As much as I liked Bane and the sort of homage to No-Man's Land that we got with Dark Knight Rises, there's a part of me that wonders what would have happened if we'd gotten a simpler film with Nolan's takes on Riddler and Penguin. At times it felt like all the political and cultural stuff that got attached to Dark Knight caused Nolan to strive too hard for the same thing with this film. I wasn't sure how the class warfare angle was supposed to work, since as soon as they dived into it, they shifted to just blowing up the city. And I still don't get why the League of Shadows was so obsessed with Gotham. It felt odd to me in Begins, and it still feels odd now.
  • Options
    Saw Rises a second time this weekend. This time with the wife. Wife loved it and said she thinks its her fave of the three which blows my mind since most of Rises shouldnt fit her tastes at all.
    I was shocked I had no problem sitting through it start to finish a second time and actually liked it quite a bit more the second time around.
    Still a heavily over written story with plenty of annoying little plot holes and nitpicks, but a good movie and a decent original ending to a heck of an original saga.

Some questions:
    How did Bruce get accross the globe back to Gotham. Had to be done unseen, in time, with no money, no help from his friends, and how did he get into Gotham itself?

How did Talia, as a little girl escape the prison and just "find her father"? Her mother could have told her something of use before she died but c'mon.

When did Bruce manage to adjust his will to include the package for Blake and the disposition of his house? Wouldve had to be done before there was a reason for him to do so. He couldnt do it during the occupation of Gotham for various reasons. He obviously didnt do it before that (why would he)? Couldnt have done it after he "died", at least not without revealing he hadnt actually died sooner than we were plainly shown. He couldve thrown something together the second he hit Gotham after he returned, but I would seriously question his priorities in that scenario.

My biggest question now:
    Why did Batman fake his death in the first place? Why was it Nec. and what was the point? Especially when you just turn around and reveal you didnt die to those few you supposedly died in front of? A reason for Batman to "die" could be for Bruce Wayne to move on, but if he sets up a replacement anyway....
    Why did Bruce Wayne need to die? The only sense I can make would be because of the League of Shadows coming after him and those he cares for (assuming they still exist post TDKR)? Theyre still going to target Gotham obviously anyway.
    How did Bruce Wayne die in Rises? I mean as far as Gotham and the world at large is concerned? They know Batman died, but only a few people knew they were the same person. There was no indication whatsoever that his secret identity was revealed to the public, so what do the people of Gotham think happened to Bruce Wayne and who fabricated any of it and for that matter why? To protect his secret identity even after death? At that point it seems unlikely and allowing Bruce Wayne to simply disappear mysteriously would be more beneficial to everyone including Bruce.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    batlaw said:

Saw Rises a second time this weekend. This time with the wife. Wife loved it and said she thinks its her fave of the three which blows my mind since most of Rises shouldnt fit her tastes at all.
    I was shocked I had no problem sitting through it start to finish a second time and actually liked it quite a bit more the second time around.
    Still a heavily over written story with plenty of annoying little plot holes and nitpicks, but a good movie and a decent original ending to a heck of an original saga.

Some questions:
    How did Bruce get accross the globe back to Gotham. Had to be done unseen, in time, with no money, no help from his friends, and how did he get into Gotham itself?

How did Talia, as a little girl escape the prison and just "find her father"? Her mother could have told her something of use before she died but c'mon.

When did Bruce manage to adjust his will to include the package for Blake and the disposition of his house? Wouldve had to be done before there was a reason for him to do so. He couldnt do it during the occupation of Gotham for various reasons. He obviously didnt do it before that (why would he)? Couldnt have done it after he "died", at least not without revealing he hadnt actually died sooner than we were plainly shown. He couldve thrown something together the second he hit Gotham after he returned, but I would seriously question his priorities in that scenario.

My biggest question now:
    Why did Batman fake his death in the first place? Why was it Nec. and what was the point? Especially when you just turn around and reveal you didnt die to those few you supposedly died in front of? A reason for Batman to "die" could be for Bruce Wayne to move on, but if he sets up a replacement anyway....
    Why did Bruce Wayne need to die? The only sense I can make would be because of the League of Shadows coming after him and those he cares for (assuming they still exist post TDKR)? Theyre still going to target Gotham obviously anyway.
    How did Bruce Wayne die in Rises? I mean as far as Gotham and the world at large is concerned? They know Batman died, but only a few people knew they were the same person. There was no indication whatsoever that his secret identity was revealed to the public, so what do the people of Gotham think happened to Bruce Wayne and who fabricated any of it and for that matter why? To protect his secret identity even after death? At that point it seems unlikely and allowing Bruce Wayne to simply disappear mysteriously would be more beneficial to everyone including Bruce.

I might be able to help with some of those questions (I'm hoping the novelization might hold more answers.)

1.) (EDIT) There really is no indication of what the time span was from when Bruce escaped the pit to his arrival in Gotham. There's nothing that said he escaped on a Monday and by Tuesday he was in Gotham. Also, I do not believe Bruce had any money, friends, or resources when he initially began his journey on that ship way back in Batman Begins. This time he has experience traveling with no money, friends, or resources. I think could've easily gotten into Gotham once he came back. I don't think it's a stretch to believe Bruce has ways of sneaking into the city. He did in No Man's Land.
    2.) not sure yet
    3.) Legal Zoom.com?!
    4.) it is how Bruce moved on & allowed someone else to take up the mantle. Since other Gotham Elite were sent to death by that kangaroo court, AND Bruce was brought to it, it's not a big leap to say he was also killed.

Bruce Wayne really had nothing left to live for. He lost his wealth, status, power at the Manor, etc. It'd be easy for him to die without really leaving anything behind. Letting those closest to him (Gordon, Fox, & Alfred) know he's still alive is more to comfort them that "it's alright" (just like Thomas Wayne did when he repelled down into the well to get Bruce & as his last words.)

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    On the 'how did he get back' question. I was thinking maybe he had other bank accounts he could tap into. Maybe was able to call upon a private jet. Just because you're broke doesn't necessarily mean you don't have any money, though admittedly that is a tough get around either way.

2. Maybe the league of shadows found her and was watching over her to begin with? No idea

3. I was thinking that after Bruce "died" he could have falsified some documents. Perhaps he could have had his attorney Michael Malone hand over the will that Mr. Wayne had given him just a few months prior.

4. I don't think he needed to either
  • Options
    I know we are pretty much done with this thread and discussion, but I just found this and thought it was worth posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pif3mIH_Pso

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i saw it again this weekend at the drive-in and i thought of one thing i don't think we discussed

the thing Bane wears, is it electrical? During the first fight Batman sets of an EMP to shut off the lights so they're in the dark, if the thing was electrical it should have shorted that out too, but i couldn't figure out how it worked
  • Options
    I liked the movie and Im not bashing it but the more I think about it the more and more holes and flaws appear. Not a movie that holds up under much scrutiny or examination at all. The first two had their little bits and pieces to ovelook too (like most such movies) but DKR is really an unbelievable mess under the microscope lol.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    batlaw said:

I liked the movie and Im not bashing it but the more I think about it the more and more holes and flaws appear. Not a movie that holds up under much scrutiny or examination at all. The first two had their little bits and pieces to ovelook too (like most such movies) but DKR is really an unbelievable mess under the microscope lol.

dude... i could hug you! that was my whole beef with the movie. i felt like there were plot holes you could drive a truck through!
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    batlaw said:

I was gonna say the same thing. Watched it again with my wife, and I find that I enjoy it less and less with subsequent viewings (saw it 3x now).

The vertebrae punch... How he could get back to Gotham having no resources... Him appearing to Jim and the rest of the exiles and having a conversation in what is supposedly thin ice... Him being outed by blake... The goons not using their guns... Bane not really amounting to anything other than a thug...
  • Options
    That's weird, I've seen it 3 times & read the book. I'm looking to get another couple viewings in yet. It's not perfect (though few things are), but I still really, really like the movie; especially the ending.

M
  • Options
    I didn't much care for the movie when I walked out of the theater, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. The only thing I thoroughly enjoyed was Anne Hathaway. Shame she wasn't in the movie more.

http://youtu.be/fLyoog562x4
  • Options
    Looks as though TDKR is on par to clear $1 billion. Making time to see this again this weekend for the 4th time. Even my wife enjoyed it so much, wants to go again...and she's been known to fall asleep in 90 minute movies.

I've seen criticisms in various places & truthfully, most seem more like a nitpick. Don't get me wrong, it does have flaws (there's a glaring editing mistake in the order of a couple scenes), but you could really nitpick Captain America (he couldn't have put the plane in a steep dive & bailed out?) or Spider-man (how did Peter make that suit, where did he get the money, & why make the suit if he stopped using his powers following Ben's death?) to name a couple examples.

M
  • Options
    The movie just surpassed $1 billion worldwide.

M
  • Options
    I love looking at this page at box office mojo.
  • Options
  • Options
    Matt said:

I've seen criticisms in various places & truthfully, most seem more like a nitpick.

M

They're not really nitpicks as they are plot holes. And while people can ignore one or two plot holes in a movie, if a movie doesn't have engaging characters, brings something entirely new, great acting, and/or just has too many plot holes, people will remember the faults more than what's good. And there were way too many faults with this movie. This movie did have great music and a movie is 60% sound.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hellsfire said:

Matt said:

I've seen criticisms in various places & truthfully, most seem more like a nitpick.

M

They're not really nitpicks as they are plot holes. And while people can ignore one or two plot holes in a movie, if a movie doesn't have engaging characters, brings something entirely new, great acting, and/or just has too many plot holes, people will remember the faults more than what's good. And there were way too many faults with this movie. This movie did have great music and a movie is 60% sound.
    To each his own, but it didn't strike me as having any more plot holes as other movies (or comic storylines) I've seen. Maybe I'm too focused on the main plot of the movie and how it advanced the story to the finale. It's no The Dark Knight, but it would easily be up there with one of the most satisfying movie experiences I've ever seen.

By the way, I saw your above post about liking it less after you walked out of the theatre (not sure if that was at the end or partially through the movie), but beyond the limit Selina, what else bothered you? Perhaps I can assist, having seen the movie multiple times & reading the novelization.

M

• Options
    Again, I like the movie. Most deffinately most movies, especially of this type have nitpick points. But I think dkr has quite a few more than average and many are errors is logic and reason rather than just oversights or compromises.
    I really do like the movie regardless and think Nolan is great. I just dont think history will regard it as highly as everyone does right now. I think we want it to be great more than it actually is, and I think Nolan is a master at manipulating audiences into believing there is more to it all than there really is.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    batlaw said:

Again, I like the movie. Most deffinately most movies, especially of this type have nitpick points. But I think dkr has quite a few more than average and many are errors is logic and reason rather than just oversights or compromises.
    I really do like the movie regardless and think Nolan is great. I just dont think history will regard it as highly as everyone does right now. I think we want it to be great more than it actually is, and I think Nolan is a master at manipulating audiences into believing there is more to it all than there really is.

I agree & I've found one glaring editing error with the sequences near the end. I'm not hoping (or even believe) I can make a case to get others to like it the way I do. I'm offering to assist with trying to fill some of the plot holes (though there is one that's hard for me to rationalize.)

Much like with Spider-man, I don't think I'll see another Batman reboot movie in the theatre. Not saying I won't eventually see Amazing Spider-man or the reboot Batman movies, but not in the theatre. This movie/trilogy has too much a lasting effect on me to be tarnished by a new take (or either character.)

M
  • Options
    I agree with Matt on most of what he says on the film. One thing fandom wants to do in this century is hate on the things they love. There is no such thing as a perfect movie. First and foremost movies are entertainment. Take it as that. Some are good some are bad. Did the movie entertain you? Then it was good. Nitpicking, and you guys are nitpicking IMHO, just detracts from the experience. I have nitpickey star wars to the point I struggle to enjoy it.
    I've learned my lesson. If a film has huge plot problems, then it won't make sense. Overall, the film made sense. To me, it was extremely successful.
    Maybe you guys that are struggling with rises should watch the cat woman movie and compare to see which is more successful in entertaining you?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Of course it is worlds better than Catwoman. I just wanted it to be nearly as good as The Dark Knight.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Of course it is worlds better than Catwoman. I just wanted it to be nearly as good as The Dark Knight.

I had the same problem with American Pie 2. The first set the bar so high, even though I enjoyed 2, it's not quite at that level.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

To each his own, but it didn't strike me as having any more plot holes as other movies (or comic storylines) I've seen. Maybe I'm too focused on the main plot of the movie and how it advanced the story to the finale. It's no The Dark Knight, but it would easily be up there with one of the most satisfying movie experiences I've ever seen.

By the way, I saw your above post about liking it less after you walked out of the theatre (not sure if that was at the end or partially through the movie), but beyond the limit Selina, what else bothered you? Perhaps I can assist, having seen the movie multiple times & reading the novelization.

M

It was a very disjointed and uneven movie. I felt that way rather soon while watching it, and it got worse as the movie went on. The perfect ending wasn't the major problem with it because I think I already checked out.

One of the problems with it is that it tried to shoehorn too many story lines into it. It had both Knightfall and No Man's Land. While either of them would have been fine, having two weakened it since it wasn't done well. NML seemed to come out of left field and made absolutely no sense. The city had no problems, no one was killing, starving, cold, or raping each other, and the streets were empty. Having the 99% stuff in could have been interesting but it was done so poorly.

Bane was a semi interesting villain until it turned out he was a puppet. I'm sure it was meant to be as shocking as Qui-Gon being the main villain in Batman Begins, but it just made Bane lamer and weaker. He went from being the next guy in charge of the League of Shadows to being a love sick puppy who died rather easily too. I guess his death made sense since the movie was telling me towards the end that he wasn't that important.

The two main characters are gone for half the movie. One's in a hole and the other's in the hospital bed. Who wants to watch a movie with the main characters MIA? It didn't help that there were too many characters just like every other 3 comic book movie and had multiple villains.

Those are my main problems. It doesn't help when it gets compounded with things like how is it suddenly night when Batman appears, how did Batman come back from Afghanistan in time, what is with the magical knee brace and I guess his back wasn't broken, Morgan Freeman really didn't press the emergency button, and how did Bruce Wayne look pretty fit for a guy who was a hermit for 8 years?

I think that's all I got. Been awhile since I've seen it, the one time. It's clearly weakest of the three movies, but that's kind of par for course with the third comic book movie.
  • Options
    Hellsfire said:

Matt said:

M

It was a very disjointed and uneven movie. I felt that way rather soon while watching it, and it got worse as the movie went on. The perfect ending wasn't the major problem with it because I think I already checked out.

One of the problems with it is that it tried to shoehorn too many story lines into it. It had both Knightfall and No Man's Land. While either of them would have been fine, having two weakened it since it wasn't done well. NML seemed to come out of left field and made absolutely no sense. The city had no problems, no one was killing, starving, cold, or raping each other, and the streets were empty. Having the 99% stuff in could have been interesting but it was done so poorly.

Bane was a semi interesting villain until it turned out he was a puppet. I'm sure it was meant to be as shocking as Qui-Gon being the main villain in Batman Begins, but it just made Bane lamer and weaker. He went from being the next guy in charge of the League of Shadows to being a love sick puppy who died rather easily too. I guess his death made sense since the movie was telling me towards the end that he wasn't that important.

The two main characters are gone for half the movie. One's in a hole and the other's in the hospital bed. Who wants to watch a movie with the main characters MIA? It didn't help that there were too many characters just like every other 3 comic book movie and had multiple villains.

Those are my main problems. It doesn't help when it gets compounded with things like how is it suddenly night when Batman appears, how did Batman come back from Afghanistan in time, what is with the magical knee brace and I guess his back wasn't broken, Morgan Freeman really didn't press the emergency button, and how did Bruce Wayne look pretty fit for a guy who was a hermit for 8 years?

I think that's all I got. Been awhile since I've seen it, the one time. It's clearly weakest of the three movies, but that's kind of par for course with the third comic book movie.
    Don't forget Dark Knight Returns. It does feel somewhat crammed in there to have NML. I also had issues with both Bane & Talia intent on dying in the explosion. Maybe it was implied with Ras, but I didn't feel he was going to die to destroy Gotham.

Are you referencing the Wall Street incident? Presuming its in the fall, darkness falls quicker.

There's no indication how long it took Bruce to get back. It could've taken him a week.

According to the book, the knee brace was pretty high tech.

Unsure about the back...but don't chiropractors "help" people with back issues?

Do you mean when Bane initially took them to the reactor to activate it?

He was a hermit, but there's no reason to believe he was lazy. He had a bow to shoot arrows. It's not out of the realm of belief he stayed in some type of shape (granted not what he was, as noted by Bane.)

M