Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    dubbat138 said:

The giant head looks a lot like the Pez Witch I just got the other day.

This one’s by Lou Cameron, who by all accounts was an incredibly intelligent guy. He passed away just a couple of years ago. He did quite a bit of work for DC, including some Batman stories, from 1958–62 or thereabouts. But with the comic work in decline thanks to Code, he made the transition from comic book artist to novelist (mostly westerns). His first book was published in 1960 as the first of the Longarm series, which he wrote under a pen name. He ended up writing over 50 books in the 400-book series, as well as dozens of other novels. He also co-wrote the TV mini-series How the West Was Won with Louis Lamour.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Not sure who did this one, but I really like it.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the lettering for all these Web of Mystery covers was not freehand, but done with the good, old Leroy lettering set, a typesetting system made famous by EC.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the lettering for all these Web of Mystery covers was not freehand, but done with the good, old Leroy lettering set, a typesetting system made famous by EC.

I always hunt for these in antique stores.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Mike MacMahon!

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    dubbat138 said:

I love the beard on the magician. I wish mine would grow to a nice point like that. But sadly my facial hair is super curly :'(

I'm sure he waxes that bad boy.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Have you had any luck?
  • Options

WetRats said:

Have you had any luck?
    Not yet.

Looking for an Ames guide as well.

Dirt cheap, of course...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Have you had any luck?
    Not yet.

Dirt cheap, of course...
    Dirt cheap? Why not Deemer cheap? <:-P
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Gil Kane

I've always loved this cover due to the panther monster! It was actually my iphone wallpaper for quite a while...

• Options

Thanks for that post! I'm a long-time Kane fan, but had never seen Nowland inks, and I agree, they make a beautiful combination!

• Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Have you had any luck?
    Not yet.

Dirt cheap, of course...
    I've got an Ames guide somewhere in my office, but I've never found a Leroy set either.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Gil Kane

I've always loved this cover due to the panther monster! It was actually my iphone wallpaper for quite a while...

Yeah, that's a good one. Not Giacoia’s best inking, but a nice cover overall.
  • Options
    I've got a couple of Ames guides, but since I stink at hand lettering I do all of my lettering via computer these days.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm not absolutely sure, because the cover tore off at some point while I was still very young, but I think this was the very first comic I owned. I didn't read it nearly as much as the World’s Finest I got a few months later.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I'm not absolutely sure, because the cover tore off at some point while I was still very young, but I think this was the very first comic I owned. I didn't read it nearly as much as the World’s Finest I got a few months later.

At every con I goto I look for cheap copies of the old Gold Key/Whitman licensed titles. Got a nice stack of Junior Woodchuck comics back in March.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Brian Bolland.
    If you can name all of Dredd's rogues gallery in the background then consider yourself a Squaxx dek Thargo

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Worst. Cover typography. Ever.

When I read it, it sounded monotone in my head. Like someone in a bad movie, who knows they're in a bad movie and is trying to play it for laughs.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I don't know the artist on this one (maybe Jim McLaughlin?), but I really like it. Very nice inking, particularly with the Kirby dots on the top of the sarcophagus to give it a rounded stone texture. I’ve also been impressed with the coloring on most of the Web of Mystery covers.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

One of my very first comics. I was four when I got it, and it was one of the first things I learned to read on my own. I literally read it till it fell apart.

I’m sure I got it because it had both Batman and Superman on the cover, but my favorite part of the issue turned out to be the Rip Hunter story. Second favorite: the Vigilante story, followed by the Golden Age Black Canary reprint story. Thus began my affinity toward anthology books.

I LOVE Love love love love love love the old square bound reprint books. It makes my heart happy just looking at the cover.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

At every con I goto I look for cheap copies of the old Gold Key/Whitman licensed titles. Got a nice stack of Junior Woodchuck comics back in March.

I get any cheap ($2 or less) Gold Key Supergoof (Goofy as a superhero) and Star Trek I can find for my wife. She likes Adam-12 too. I look for any Dan Spiegle-drawn Scooby Doos. I had one when I was a kid that I liked a lot. I don't usually see them in the cheap boxes though.

Not too long ago, my step-father picked up a cheap stack of old comics for me, mostly from the mid-’50s to early ’60s, at an estate sale. Only half of them have covers, but there was some cool stuff in there. A lot of Little Lulus, a few Archies, etc. I think I'll go through them and try to find covers for them all. Some of them will be tough because the indicia was sometimes printed on the inside front cover.

Here’s the first:

• Options

First DC appearance of Alan Moore,
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Looks like Smurfette and Medusa of the Inhumans had a kid.