Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Chew vol 5. This series is brilliant. I'm sad that I am all caught up.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Astro Boy volume 1 and 2 from Dark Horse

Before reading this I had seen a handful of episodes of the original English dubbed Astro Boy series from the 60s. And read some of the issues of Now's Astro Boy series. Saw the Sci Fi Book club had this volume on sale really cheap. Want to say I paid $5 for it. Started reading it the other night right before bed and ended up reading almost half of it before I realized 2 hours had passed and I really needed to goto bed. While the art and stories are simplistic something about both grabs my attention and won't let go.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    I've just been cruising through Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet, Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One, for some post-Crisis origins of Batman's partners. Good stuff.

I've also just picked up, read and thoroughly enjoyed volumes one and two of Aaron Neathery's Endtown from Jarlidium Press, a collection of the first couple of years worth of the webcomic. It's a great series about survivors in a post-apocalyptic world, who not only have to contend with their mutations (usually into some form of anthropomorphic animal) and day-to-day survival, but also with the untainted 'purists' who roam the topside, killing all the mutations they come across. Or worse. The strip balances outrageous cartoon humor with some very scary scenarios, and presents some very genuine emotional human situations as the main characters struggle to find their own humanity. Great stuff!

(You can check out Endtown here online: gocomics.com/endtown

• Options
    Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics

This is a nice black and white collection of various indy zombie comics.Some of the writers include Steve Niles,Buddy Scalera,a fun story based on Robert E Howard's Pigeons from Hell,and many others.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished the first Ghostbusters omnibus from IDW. This collects The Other Side which was ok. Displaced Aggression which was pretty cool. It's sees the ghostbusters travelling through time. Then there are a few one shots collected. Of which they are hit or miss. What in Samhain Just Happened, a halloween special that was my favourite and I'd suggest picking up if you can find a copy. You even get to see Janine as an honourable Ghostbusters. Real good fun that one. I've heard the new ongoing is better then all these do I'm excited to get those in trade now. Now I need to watch the movies again!!!
  • Options
    My reading this week consisted of Spider-Man: Lizard- No turning Back and Star Wars Crimson Empire 3. I thought the CE book was poor overall. Luke seemed to be written completely out of character within this story, especially as he's a Jedi Master within this time period, and I didn't really care for the artwork from Paul Gulacy. I kinda hope they leave this storyline alone now, but a part of me dreads Crimson Empire 4, even though i know I'm gonna end up buying it.
    The Spidey book was decent enough, but nothing spectacular (heh!) I think the fact that I can't recall the details pretty much sums it up. Ah well.
    Now to read the Tower Chronicles vol 1 by Wagner and Bisley
  • Options
    The recent Court Of Owls and upcoming Death In The Family have left me hungry for a real Batman epic, one that was actually interesting and was constructed of several story arcs building along a single story theme. So I've been rereading Batman: No Man's Land, all five volumes. There's a couple of imperfections to this collection in that they appear to have dropped a few transitional stories between this epic and the previous Batman: Cataclysm! that would have helped set things up a bit better, and it could have included the one issue of JLA that explained what the Justice League was doing about Gotham during this calamity, but otherwise this stands as a solid epic.
  • Options
    Read Aquaman - The Trench last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm assuming the "monsters" will be back. Don't want to say too much and ruin it for anyone, but really intrigued with the lead ins to the next storyline (or 2). I'll definitely continue to get this in HC. It dies really annoy about how long it takes DC to get their trades out though! I mean the first lot if the New 52 trades, some of them won't be out until 8 (eight) months after floppy release. Come on DC! Speed things up please! You're releasing all these great new titles, but taking an age to get them out in trade! I mean even if I wanted to jump on Aquaman now I'd need to get 7 more back issues. Rant over. Aquaman = awesome.
  • Options
    FarGalaxyKnightFarGalaxyKnight Posts: 12
    edited October 2012
    Indulged in Daredevil this week and read a slew of trade across different runs:

Daredevil: Born Again (Frank Miller/David Mazzucchelli): Liked the overarching plot but the flow of the story felt rushed.
    Daredevil Legends, Vol. 4: Typhoid Mary (Ann Nocenti/John Romita Jr.Typhoid Mary is a very interesting character, made an intriguing story.
    Daredevil: Parts of a Hole (Joe Quesada/David Mack)1st appearance of Echo, great character to pair with DD, story was fleshed out perfectly.
    Daredevil: Underboss (Brian Michael Bendis/Alex Maleev)Downfall of Kingpin, DD put into a believable dilemma.
    Daredevil: Out (Brian Michael Bendis/Alex Maleev) Matt Murdock in court! Didn't think a court case in a comic could be a page turner. Smells like a Civil War prelude.
  • Options
    I'm reading the very early days of the Caped Crusader in the first few volumes of The Batman Archives and The Dark Knight Archives, and discovering things that I never knew -- like the fact that the original batmobile was apple red.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

I'm reading the very early days of the Caped Crusader in the first few volumes of The Batman Archives and The Dark Knight Archives, and discovering things that I never knew -- like the fact that the original batmobile was apple red.

I have been reading the early batman stories in the chronicle softcovers. I have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed them.
    I have also read Superman chronicles which were just okay and the Wonder Woman stories which are tough to get through.
  • Options
    In my spare time I've managed to read The Tower Chronicles by Wagner and Bisley (Legendary), Spider-Man: Nothing can Stop The Juggernaut (Marvel), The Judas Coin by Walt Simonson (DC) and Freaks of The Heartland by Niles and Ruth (Dark Horse).
    Tower Chronicles was Ok, but Bisley was reigned in a lot by the addition of Ramos as inker, and there were times that the colouring didn't maintain the standard - some panels were flat, where others were more textured, and this would be on the same page.
    The Judas Coin looked wonderful but the story just didn't grab me. I don't know why the Spidey book existed in this format - the first 5 stories in the collection held no major foreshadowing for the 2-part title track, and for this reason I found the existence of these stories in a HC baffling.
    Freaks of The Heartland was the best I read, but even that felt like it was stretched out further than it really needed to be. If the story could've been compressed slightly, I think it would've been really good. Ruth's artwork was amazing to my eyes, and I would quite happily read other stories by him.
  • Options
    Most of the way through 'The Twelve' vol 2 and really enjoying it
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2012
    I decided to pick up some of the DCnU series in trade that I did not read (besides maybe the first issue) but got great reviews or buzz from the show or here on the forums.

Swamp Thing - Knew nothing about this other than what I've heard the geeks talk about in the shows. This sucked me right in and didn't let go. Until I hear differently, I'll be collecting this in trade. Knowing that the current "event" for this book is about Rot World, I'm excited for where this is going.

Animal Man - Same as ST. I knew nothing about this except that Morrison wrote it at one time and broke the 4th wall. I was hooked from the start. The fact that this was loosely tied to ST, and I basically read them together, made it all the better. Amazing.

Wonder Woman - Not the same as the other two, but then I usually struggle with what to do with WW. This made her a little more exciting and much more interesting to read than other iterations I've read. It was also interesting and fun to see the interpretation of the mythology.

A Wrinkle in Time (graphic novel adaptation) - One of the most theologically frustrating books I've read since Rob Bell's Love Wins. However, I still kept an open mind and even though I've still got some issues with the theological approach, in the end it was a fun and magical read. I wasn't sure what was happening in the beginning of the book, but by chapter three or so I was drawn in. I was greatly disappointed when I had to put it down, which is a sign of a good book to me.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm working my way through the 600-page first volume of A Message to Adolf by Osamu Tezuka. Amazing stuff. He's the best comic creator of all time. There, I said it.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Aquaman: Vol 1 The Trench

Checked it out from the library. Ivan Reis is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Nikolai Dante:The Romanov Dynasty - this is the book that collects the first stories of the 2000AD series that recently wrapped up. It's excellent, and I just ordered the 2nd trade because I can't get enough of it. Imagine a future earth where Russia (Imperial Russia) remained in power, and a philandering thief goes from rogue to riches when he finds out he's the bastard child of a major family.

Currently reading: Because it's Halloween I'm devoting this week to reading - Vampirella - A Scarlet Thirst which collects some of the early Harris b/w stories. Never read much Vampirella and now I'm kicking myself because there's some GORGEOUS artwork I've been missing out on in the old classic style. Sure a lot of it is cheesecake-y goodness, but they throw a story in there to throw me off guard every now and then as well.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I finished reading Jew Gangster & it felt as if it was watching a old TCM B&W film on the Depression period piece in comic book form. We focus on Ruby who moves away from the straight & narrow for the seduction of easy money. Kubert paints a picture that doesn't sugarcoat the realities of crime life. The ups & the downs, people acting foolishly & consequences for doing so. Overall Kubert's art & words deliver a small glimpse into the gangster's life and I was entertained by this artist's devotion to his craft for his audience. If you like Brubaker's Criminal give this OGN a chance. I give Jew Gangster an 8 out of 10 rating. Read Kubert's work it might surprise you.

Next up: Superman Our Worlds at War complete Edition.

Matthew
  • Options
    Had time to get through one trade today. Had a couple waiting to read... Justice League Dark and Manhattan Projects. I picked JLD and I think I picked wrong!

I was ok, but pretty slow. I must say I'm more of a story guy, rather then art, but some of the art in this was really cool. In the end it was the art that got me through over the story. I'll get the next trade only because Jeff Lemire is on writing duties for the next trade.

Looking forward to Manhattan Projects now. I'm thinking/hoping this'll be much better.
  • Options
    I read Thief of Thieves vol 1 today. Good, not great. I had high hopes for it because of Kirkman writing. I am not sure I will continue with volume 2.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I read Sailor Twain by First Second Books this week. Outstanding. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Finally got an evening to read Manhattan Projects tonight. Really enjoyed it. Such an entertaining, fun book. Lots of cool ideas, twists, gore and interesting characters. Hickman has really knocked it out the park with this one. I can't wait for more if this now. I'd like to start on floppies, but I think I'd prefer to get a good hit rather then one a month for this. Top stuff.
  • Options
    Just read Saga vol 1. Awesome Sci-Fi. I'm glad I started ordering single issues on this one.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Thief of Thieves vol. 1. I'm glad I picked this one up. I don't think i could stand reading this as single issues. I could hear the music from the Ocean's movies start to play in my head as the story kicked into gear.
  • Options
    Has anyone else read Danger Club: Death tpb yet? Such a good superhero team book. It's just kick-ass, balls to the wall action. The art is really good, I really live the old school opening page if each issue. The story has me really intrigued for the next volume too. Image is putting out a lot of class books right now.
  • Options
    NickSDNickSD Posts: 14
    Someone mentioned Transmetropolitan. Y'all should totally read it, it's one of the best sci-fi works to ever grace the medium, it's Warren Ellis at his best, just the backgrounds in and of themselves—filled with random futuristic cars and weird mutants and unexpected technologies—are more interesting than many mainstream titles in their entirety. Check it out, check it out, check it out, check it out, check it out...
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    luke52 said:

Has anyone else read Danger Club: Death tpb yet? Such a good superhero team book. It's just kick-ass, balls to the wall action. The art is really good, I really live the old school opening page if each issue. The story has me really intrigued for the next volume too. Image is putting out a lot of class books right now.

Agree 111%. I was getting Danger Club monthly, and I was going to drop it, but after issue #4, there is no way in hell I'm dropping it now.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just finished "Mr. Murder is Dead" from Archaia and thought it was amazing.
  • Options
    Sigil volume 6

From Checker books this reprints the last few issues of this fun science fiction series from Crossgen. So far I have read at least a few issues of most of the Crossgen titles. And Sigil,Route 666 and Negation are the ones that appeal to me the most. The only one I have read and didn't like was Sojourn. But I am not a big fan of the high fantasy genre.
  • Options
    Parker: The Hunter
    Brilliant book! I've seen Payback and I think I've seen Point Blank but I never read the original book (and I suppose I still haven't!) But this was stunning! Really nicely designed book all round with stunning art by Darwyn Cooke!