Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ten More Titles of the New 52 on the Bubble?

Comments

• Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216

I bet if DC Comics Presents had limited itself to 2 or 3 issue long storylines it might have lasted longer.
    That's what I said right from the beginning. They should have been one-issue stories, with the occasional plot line spanning two issues.

Very simple.

Bry

• Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    I'm disappointed (but not really surprised) to see Captain Atom on there... its a great book, but easy to overlook.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed (but not really surprised) to see Captain Atom on there... its a great book, but easy to overlook.
    I really like Freddie Williams and would like to see him on another book... anyone have any idea where he's going next?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I really like Freddie Williams and would like to see him on another book... anyone have any idea where he's going next?
    I don't think these books are cancelled yet. Or, at least, we don't already know what their last issue is. I think they are just the short list of books that are in danger of cancellation. So I would guess that Williams is still on Captain Atom while it is still running.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I don't think these books are cancelled yet. Or, at least, we don't already know what their last issue is. I think they are just the short list of books that are in danger of cancellation. So I would guess that Williams is still on Captain Atom while it is still running.
    Yep.

This is one writer's theory on a website that likes lists of ten.

Nothing has been announced.
  • Options
    I would assume that at this point nothing else will be canceled before issue 12 at the earliest.
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012
    Think the way the DC trades their books, post-DCnU, have anything to with more on the chopping block?
  • Options
    Think the way the DC trades their books, post-DCnU, have anything to with more on the chopping block?
    I do think it will affect the cancellation "sweet spots".

• Options
    Does anybody know for certain if DC is formally committed to maintaining just 52 titles? Or has that already fallen away with the advent of the new books, 'World's Finest', etc.?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Does anybody know for certain if DC is formally committed to maintaining just 52 titles? Or has that already fallen away with the advent of the new books, 'World's Finest', etc.?
    That's a good question-- I think 52 was the launch number, but I don't remember them saying they would limit the line to that. There were minis that launched while there were still 52 ongoings (e.g. Huntress, Penguin, The Shade). And, I forget, where there as many titles stopped at issue 8 as there are titles launching in the second wave?

I know they have made a point of saying that titles will come and go, but I don't think they have committed to the line always being 52 ongoings. Or, if they have, I missed that.
  • Options
    I think it's just become their lucky number.

I blame Pants.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    In all of their press releases and in interviews talking about the "next wave" of books, they seem to be firmly committed to the number.

I think it's a problem, myself, as it commits them to a LARGE number of books.
  • Options
    In all of their press releases and in interviews talking about the "next wave" of books, they seem to be firmly committed to the number.

Doesn't Marvel publish over 80 per month?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

But this could also mean that more artists will have a chance to shine on a book with the big 2. And I like having various short runs with various main characters. Or they could combine similar themed titles into a kind of anthology book (like the German editions already do - it works!)
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Anyone have any idea if the costs of printing and distributing physical comics are such that a digital only title could continue profitably at significantly lower sales numbers than are now required to keep a book going?
    With the economies of scale in which the big 2 operate, the cost of print and distribution on a per unit basis is infinitesimal. The real costs associated are contribution to overhead and royalties. Those costs don't go away when you move to digital, and they're the most significant piece of the pie.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

I'm not sure, but if so, that is too many comics as well, and is hurting the market as well. We talk about on our podcast that comics are a different sort of hobby...a lot of people don't say "Comics cost to much, I have to cut back", they say "Comics cost to much, I'm walking away."

At least that's how it was at the shops I worked at.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but if so, that is too many comics as well, and is hurting the market as well. We talk about on our podcast that comics are a different sort of hobby...a lot of people don't say "Comics cost to much, I have to cut back", they say "Comics cost to much, I'm walking away."

At least that's how it was at the shops I worked at.
    But that's been both companies' strategy for the last twenty years or so: sell more and more comics to fewer and fewer die-hard readers.

Why should they change that now when it's clearly working so well? (He said ironically)
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @David_D From a few press pieces I did get a strong impression that 52 is actually a limit they are sticking to. I know it got brought up in the conversation about this upcoming new wave. It does seem that they will break it whenever they want to quietly but they are hell bent for election on this magical number.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    frankenstein i dropped when i heard lemire was leaving.
    Actually, I had dropped this book (which I only picked up in the first place BECAUSE of Lemire, but was disappointed by it) and decided to pick it up again BECAUSE Lemire was leaving - his replacement is Matt Kindt (Superspy, Pistol Whip, Three Story, Revolver), whose work I love. So I'm going to give the book another shot.

(and on the Lemire front, I'm psyched to hear he's doing JLDark, which I'm already buying - so I hope that's good!).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    The only one of those I'm reading and enjoying is Frankenstein.

Still buying Resurrection Man, but for some reason it's not clicking for me. I'd heard so much about the original series that I was excited to see it back, but I'm finding that I pretty much forget each issue shortly after I've read it.

DC Universe presents just felt like a dumping ground for things that should have been minis or one shots. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Deadman was originally supposed to be a series following Brightest Day, but got demoted when the New 52 kicked in.
  • Options
    @chrisw I have a question on the Frankenstein book... I read the first one and it wasn't for me but I always wondered if they ever created a story element or reason for the kind of silly shrinking to enter the base which was also shrunk down to be tiny. It kind of seemed like a dumb aspect of the world/story, but I would love to know if it was ever used in a cool or even important way.
  • Options
    @chrisw I have a question on the Frankenstein book... I read the first one and it wasn't for me but I always wondered if they ever created a story element or reason for the kind of silly shrinking to enter the base which was also shrunk down to be tiny. It kind of seemed like a dumb aspect of the world/story, but I would love to know if it was ever used in a cool or even important way.
    I don't recall anything offhand, other than that with Ray Palmer in the book, they feel the need to work his shrinking technology into the story.

Some of that stuff feels like weirdness for the sake of weirdness, which is fine, but sometimes the book doesn't do much beyond that. I'm curious to see what happens when Kindt starts, as right now I enjoy the concept more than the book itself.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @zhurrie
    I think Ray Palmer (The Atom) has had a big role in the book (waiting on the trade for that one). So shrinking should play a big part of somebody's story.
  • Options
    OK, that was kind of what I thought, glad to know it never had a well-reasoned purpose or story element. I just don't know why anyone would continue to read that book with BPRD and the spinoffs out there that are good. It is just an average book trying to ape something already done better IMO.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    @Zhurrie Ray Palmer is in the book because, presumably Lemire likes the character. Lemire wrote the Atom backups in Adventure comics and introduced the idea of the shrunken headquarters/community I those stories. With the new 52 not really having a place for Ray (or the Atom) yet it makes sense that he would want to continue to explore those threads in his new book.
    As for why anyone would choose Frankenstein over BPRD… well, for me, I'm more of a DC guy. It's easier to jump onto a brand new book than a book with, I imagine, a ton of history and back story that BPRD probably has (regardless of the quality).
  • Options
    @Murray what's funny is that it is almost the opposite for me as a non-DC guy :) This is bringing in outside story from pre-New52 that has *no* bearing or even connection to anything aside from some previous unrelated story that means nothing to me in the context and isn't even smartly woven into the tale. To me that is far worse and off-putting than just needing to catch up on a world or characters that are all cohesive and well done. I don't even find BPRD requiring that much info or backstory.

It is definitely one of those different strokes type scenarios though, so I can respect the sentiment.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Tangent Time:
    I love the Atom. When it's written well (All New Atom) you get crazy super-science stories that can only be possible in comics. What's unfortunate about shrinking is that it has been relegated to the "stupid/lame power sets" (I blame Antman/Wasp). This is power set when combined with super-science that should yield crazy insanly awesome stories (see All New Atom and even some of the stories in the DC Showcases).
    Going on another tangent one of the awesome reasons to read those old Atom issues is to see Ray's interaction with Jean Loring, Lady Lawyer. She is called, by the narrator and characters within the story Jean Loring the Lady Lawyer because being a female attorney is apparently a super power.
  • Options
    Frankenstein was one of my favorite characters in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers project, so I was happy to see anything with him. Like a lot of Morrison creations, he's not as interesting in someone else's hands, but I still see potential.

I've always been a sucker for Creature Commando type stories, as well. Never had the opportunity to read the original stories, but I enjoyed the Tim Truman series that came out sometime in the early 2000s.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258

If you look at their pre-DCnU release list they were frequently hitting and exceeding the 52 when you add up the events, the one shots, the ongoing...etc...