Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    David_D said:

BKV is my favorite, so of course I will watch it wherever it is, but the switch from Showtime to CBS rates an "UGH".

It sure increases the odds that I'll even watch it, since I don't have cable.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    tazmaniak said:

Stephen King's Under the Dome, written by Bryan K. Vaughan, has been given a 13-episode straight-to-series order by CBS. Originally set up at Showtime last summer, the project was released from the network after not picking up any steam and landed at sibling network, CBS.

CBS and Steven Spielberg's Amblin TV will produce the show, with Neal Baer (ER/Law and Order: SVU) serving as showrunner. The supernatural/sci-fi thriller is a departure from CBS' usual crime procedurals. The series will air in the summer, along with Unforgettable.

Deadline

So they are gonna make a ongoing series out of this? That is strange. The novel is a good example of one of King's major weaknesses . He can craft a great story,then the ending craps out. Under the Dome was fun and a good read. Then the ending happens and it feels like he thought "Ok that is long enough to be a novel,what is the quickest way I can end this?"
  • Options
    David_D said:

BKV is my favorite, so of course I will watch it wherever it is, but the switch from Showtime to CBS rates an "UGH".

At least with it being on CBS I won't have to get my buddy Brian Torrens to get copies of it for me.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883

David_D said:

I don't have Showtime, but I might have subscribed for the time they had it. Or got it on DVD.

I can't remember the last thing I have actually wanted to watch on CBS. Here's hoping they do something unexpectedly good.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

I don't have Showtime, but I might have subscribed for the time they had it. Or got it on DVD.

I can't remember the last thing I have actually wanted to watch on CBS. Here's hoping they do something unexpectedly good.
    I think Person Of Interest is pretty good. I watch that, Big Bang Theory and 60 Minutes every week.
  • Options
    Warner Bros. TV is looking to cast the lead in their potential pilot for Amazon, based on the Wonder Woman comic. Currently, the lead character is called Iris.

Deadline

They are looking for an actress in her mid-20s, who is 5'8 or taller.

Here's the initial synopsis of the character/series:

“She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted ­and just as often horrified ­ by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling ­to her.

Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer.

There are too many sights to see ­and things to learn ­and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic ­and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.”
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

I have no idea when the last time I watched anything on CBS,or really ABC,NBC or Fox. I have gotten away from the broadcast networks again. I did watch the first 3 episodes of Arrow. But once I heard it was picked up for a full season I decided to wait on the Blu Ray season set.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

I have no idea when the last time I watched anything on CBS,or really ABC,NBC or Fox. I have gotten away from the broadcast networks again. I did watch the first 3 episodes of Arrow. But once I heard it was picked up for a full season I decided to wait on the Blu Ray season set.

I can almost say the same-- something being on broadcast rather than cable tends to already be a strike against a new show for me. The last network show I watched and stuck with was Lost. And I will watch episodes of 30 Rock and The Office here and there. I gave a few things a try and then passed, like Revolution. I thought Last Resort was going to break that cycle, but ABC decided to make that decision for me.

By contrast, I keep finding more and more cable shows I want to make time for.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Warner Bros. TV is looking to cast the lead in their potential pilot for Amazon, based on the Wonder Woman comic. Currently, the lead character is called Iris.

Soooo... the new Wonder Woman pilot is not about Wonder Woman...!?

• Options

tazmaniak said:

I think it's about a Wonder Woman, but not Diana.

Or they could just be using that name as a placeholder. It's still very early in development and the network hasn't commited to a pilot yet. They could be using a different name to disguise the character while auditioning actresses.

It should be noted that this info was not officially released by the studio, rather a member of the Deadline staff obtained it. So that could be the case.

We'll see.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I know Deadline referred to that paragraphs-long character description as a "breakdown" they got a hold of, but I have never seen a breakdown that long or prosaic. And breakdowns usually start with a few clear facts, like age and look. They are specs for casting, not a movie trailer for the character.

This sounds more like a pitch to me than something casting directors and agents would actually use to decide who should audition. Like the sort of leak that is built into the marketing campaign. Not officially released, but written to be "leaked". To make sure a sales-y character description makes the rounds to build and gauge interest. And the "Iris" part is the hook to make sure it gets a reaction and gets the outrage engines started so that people have a reason to talk about it. And to maybe get some momentum going to help the pilot get through the development process.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    This is an example of what breakdowns tend to look like (and even this one is on the long side):
    [BRIENNE TARTH] FEMALE. Age: 20s. A skilled warrior in service to Renly Baratheon. Larger and stronger than most men, we first meet Brienne when she wins a tournament, defeating the famed Loras Tyrell. Big-boned and plain faced, she has an awkward personality, but is also honest and loyal. She is derisively known as “Brienne the Beauty”… RECURRING. (Season Two: 6 episodes/Season Appearances: Multiple Season) Must be a MINIMUM of 5’10″. Do NOT submit actresses that look like models. We are looking for a big, WARRIOR-TYPE woman that’s more MANLY than womanly.
    They tend to read like that-- direct instructions from the casting director to the agents who will be submitting their clients.

Now, it could be that the decription of "Iris" actually came from the pitch or series bible from the show, but it is even long for one of those from what I've seen. And Deadline should know the difference between a breakdown and a series bible. But even the bibles I've seen are usually pretty terse and direct in its language. This all sounds more like someone promoting the show wrote it for exactly people like us to read it. Seems a little suspicious.

Okay. . . I am clearing getting into wonkish territory with this, so I will leave it there.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

tazmaniak said:

Sure sounds like a bait-and-switch to me.

Why would they think that we'd want to see anything other than the real deal!?

I want to see Wonder Woman -- not Sorta-Like-Wonder-Woman-But-It's-Not-Really.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

tazmaniak said:

tazmaniak said:

Sure sounds like a bait-and-switch to me.

Why would they think that we'd want to see anything other than the real deal!?

I want to see Wonder Woman -- not Sorta-Like-Wonder-Woman-But-It's-Not-Really.
    I totally agree Chuck!

I am SOOO OVER this “difficulty” of adapting Wonder Woman for TV or film. It’s not that deep. It really isn’t. Dammit, grab George Perez and loosely adapt his first story arc, Gods and Mortals, for either the first TV story line or the first film. That’s your perfect foundation and understanding of the character right there. For the sake of publicity and transferring of the guard of sorts, cast Lynda Carter as Hippolyta. I know I sound like a broken record with this but I just don’t get why folks, inside the TV/film industry and quite frankly some comic creators and fellow comic geeks just make this so unnecessarily difficult.

OHHH! *Breathe* I'm okay now. :-)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Xena was my Wonder Woman :\">
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited November 2012

John_Steed, I feel you on that one. Xena was the best female kick ass character on television since Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. :-) (forgive me for the last smiley - wrong one, obviously!)
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited November 2012
    Update: Geoff Johns says the character will be Diana. He confirms Iris is a codename used by the casting directors.

Twitter
  • Options
    David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

I can almost say the same-- something being on broadcast rather than cable tends to already be a strike against a new show for me. The last network show I watched and stuck with was Lost. And I will watch episodes of 30 Rock and The Office here and there. I gave a few things a try and then passed, like Revolution. I thought Last Resort was going to break that cycle, but ABC decided to make that decision for me.

Lost was also the last broadcast show I kept up with. I watched the first episode of Last Resort but could tell it wasn't gonna last. So I dropped it. Currently I am down to 4 shows. With one ending next Sunday,one ending next Tuesday and another having it's mid season finale on Sunday. So after the holidays I won't be watching any TV until Walking Dead comes back.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

Lost was also the last broadcast show I kept up with. I watched the first episode of Last Resort but could tell it wasn't gonna last. So I dropped it. Currently I am down to 4 shows. With one ending next Sunday,one ending next Tuesday and another having it's mid season finale on Sunday. So after the holidays I won't be watching any TV until Walking Dead comes back.
    We're getting close to a lull, too. Have you already done American Horror Story? We started watching the second season on demand recently and really dug it, and then when season one came on Netflix we devoured it over the last two weeks.
  • Options
    FX announces January premiere dates. Justified returns January 8, followed by Anger Management, Archer, Legit and Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell on January 17. The Cold War drama, The Americans, will also debut sometime in January.

The Hollywood Reporter

• Options
    David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

We're getting close to a lull, too. Have you already done American Horror Story? We started watching the second season on demand recently and really dug it, and then when season one came on Netflix we devoured it over the last two weeks.
    I watched the first half of AHS season 1 as it was airing. But missed the last half. So when the Blu ray came out I bought it. Watched it in 2 or 3 days back in October. Season 2 I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. I have the rest on dvd-r to watch at a later date. I figure I will just wait till the season is over and watch it all in a 2 or 3 day stretch.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Dman said:

John_Steed, I feel you on that one. Xena was the best female kick ass character on television since Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. :-) (forgive me for the last smiley - wrong one, obviously!)
    Never saw Linda Carter, but definitely saw Xena. Awesome show.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2012
    Never saw Linda Carter
    Let's fix that...

GIFSoup
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Never saw Linda Carter
    Let's fix that...

That gif makes me miss Lynda Carter and Brad Milo.

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited December 2012
    Season 2 of WB's web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy, adds new characters and actors. Casper Van Dien replaces Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage, Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa takes over the role of Shang Tsung, Harry Shum Jr. is Kuai Liang (younger Sub-Zero), Brian Tee is Liu Kang and Marc Dacascos is Kung Lao.

Ian Anthony Dale (Scorpion), Sam Tjhia (Kitana) and Darren Shahlavi (Kano) are the only confirmed returning season 1 actors. Tahmoh Penikett (Stryker), Jeri Ryan (Sonya) and Jolene Tran (Mileena) will not be returning.

Season 2 is set to debut on Machinima.com in the spring of 2013.

Collider
  • Options
    The finale ep title for Fringe is let out. Sad to see the show go but happy Fox is letting the show go out the way they want to.

http://tvline.com/2012/12/01/fringe-series-finale-title/
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The season finale for Boardwalk Empire was awesome.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Never saw Linda Carter
    Let's fix that...

That gif makes me miss Lynda Carter and Brad Milo.

me too..
    :(
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

The finale ep title for Fringe is let out. Sad to see the show go but happy Fox is letting the show go out the way they want to.

http://tvline.com/2012/12/01/fringe-series-finale-title/

The wife and I really enjoyed this show up until a season or two ago. When Peter was in a universe that didn't remember him we gave up on it. I'm glad that the show didn't get axed without being able to finish in a good way. Perhaps we'll go back and finish these last two seasons just to see how it all wrapped up.

• Options
    Trailers for Showtime's upcoming series, Masters of Sex and Ray Donovan.

Masters of Sex stars Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan as William Masters and Virginia Johnson, who were real-life pioneers of the science of human sexuality.

Ray Donovan stars Liev Schrieber as a professional "fixer" for L.A.'s rich and famous, who an make anyone's problems disappear.

http://youtu.be/BC1eWcE8cTo