Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options

Caliban said:

Alan Davis

Alan is a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs/John Carter fan. Killraven was Alan’s attempt to use that style of storytelling—the pacing, the action—in the comic book format. I think he did a pretty good job of it.

In regards to this cover, in Alan’s original thumbnail sketch there was a dialogue balloon with Killraven saying, “Retreat or die!”
    this is awesome more at www.echitrakatha.com
  • Options

Spirou's take on Santa:

Photobucket

and the back:

Photobucket

"Santa coming to the rescue" - just at the moment the parents shred the boys' wishlist due to bad grades was done by Arthur de Pins

He's got some nice work, but his website is annoying what with the art constantly moving and hiding behind other pieces.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    that's called interactive... <:-P
  • Options

that's called interactive... <:-P </p>

Is that what they call it these days? I thought they called it “counterproductive.”
  • Options
    Today’s comic from The Stack is Flippity and Flop #5 (Aug.–Sept. 1952). The cover is by Jim Davis (or perhaps someone from his animation studio). No, not the Garfield Jim Davis, but Jim Davis the animator. Davis didn’t have a particularly distinguished career, but he directed a couple of Bugs Bunny TV specials, and was an animator on both Fritz the Cat movies among other things. Davis is also credited with all the story pages in the issue, though as I said, it could easily have been done in his style by someone in his studio. Davis’ studio handled not only the Flippity and Flop stories, but most of the “The Fox and the Crow” stories for DC.

Flippity and Flop was based on a cartoon series called “Dog, Cat, & Canary” by Charles Mintz’s Studio Gems Studio, so it makes a certain amount of sense that animation artists drew the comic book stories. The “Flippity and Flop” stories are similar to “Sylvester and Tweety” stories, especially the ones with Spike the dog, but Sam the dog plays a larger role than Spike ever did. The “Dog, Cat, & Canary” cartoons actually predate the “Sylvester & Tweety” cartoons. I've never actually seen the cartoons, but the stories in this issue feel a bit rehashed and tired. The artwork is very nice, but the writing doesn’t have much in the way of snap. There’s even a second feature called “Twiddle and Twaddle” that’s basically a rip-off of the Warner Bros. “Hubie and Bertie” cartoons. Overall, I’d say give this one a pass.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Carlos Ezquerra
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Great disguise. I hardly recognized the Judge!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Love that in the !975 Holiday Special Power Man is putting on a paper chain garland that looks like his belt.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

Love that in the !975 Holiday Special Power Man is putting on a paper chain garland that looks like his belt.

Sweet Christmas!
  • Options
    Last of the Christmas Dredd covers I can find
    Mark Harrison
  • Options
    and as @RobAnderson mentioned the Unexpected comic here is Joe Kubert and Dave Manak
  • Options
    I know we have some Ploog fans here, and this is a great book I always pull out this time of year:

• Options
    David Mazzucchelli
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

Cover by Wayne Boring and Stan Kaye.

Cover by Frank Harry. Harry did all his comic book work for DC through the ’40s, primarily as the artist for “The Ghost Patrol” in Flash Comics, and “Little Boy Blue” and “Willy Nilly” in Sensation Comics. It appears he left comics in 1950 or so, probably to go into advertising.

Cover by Walt Kelly.

And for our Brit contributors, a little Robot Archie:
    Cover by Ted Kearon, one of the main artists for Lion through the ’50s and the co-creator (along with George Cowan) of Robot Archie.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,742
    edited December 2012
    The Sci-Fi thread got thinking about Jules Verne. Robur the Conqueror and its sequel, Master of the World.

Don't know the cover artist, but I like it.

Cover by Gil Kane and Bob Wiacek.

Cover probably by George Wilson.

• Options
    More Verne:

Cover by Gil Kane and Dan Adkins.

Cover by Gil Kane and Al Milgrom

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Maelo Cintron
    Vincente Segrelles

Skywald always had great covers.
  • Options

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    And for our Brit contributors, a little Robot Archie:
    Cover by Ted Kearon, one of the main artists for Lion through the ’50s and the co-creator (along with George Cowan) of Robot Archie.

Love Robot Archie
  • Options
    1974 Luis Dominguz
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012
    Since we're doing holiday themed covers, I thought I'd go straight to the Big Man himself:

He appears in a lot of guest appearance roles in various comics over the decades, but only seldom in his own title. This one from Dell, circa 1945. No artist credited.

In 1990, Innovation collected a number of Santa stories drawn by Walt Kelly:

I'm pretty sure there might have been other Santa Claus comics, but these were the only ones I found on short notice.
  • Options
    On the other hand, one of Santa's reindeers did much better than the old fat man did: he got his own series!

Rudolph appeared regularly, once a year, every Christmas, throughout the 50's, without fail, lasting into the very early 60's.

His run ended in 1962 with a large size 'annual' which reprinted material from the series. (Rather odd calling it an annual, since the series itself was an annual.)

Rudolph made one last appearance a decade later in one of DC's tabloid-sized reprint books.

Writers and artists were pretty much anonymous at the time, but the Comic Book Database lists the artists as Rube Grossman and Martin Naydel, further noting this as being unconfirmed.
  • Options
  • Options

Neal Adams

The artwork is decent,but the coloring makes this one of the worst covers I have seen. I know part of the reason is they wanted it to work with the Valiant Vision glasses. But wow it is ugly.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Neal Adams

The artwork is decent,but the coloring makes this one of the worst covers I have seen. I know part of the reason is they wanted it to work with the Valiant Vision glasses. But wow it is ugly.

It does work better with the glasses. I still have mine, and it's only ugly when viewed without the glasses. This was an interesting gimmick that Valiant tried with a few of their titles, mostly The Destroyer and The Psi-Lords -- but it wasn't a strong enough gimmick to hold the reader's long-term interests. Maybe if they'd waited for iPads and digital downloads?
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Neal Adams

It does work better with the glasses. I still have mine, and it's only ugly when viewed without the glasses. This was an interesting gimmick that Valiant tried with a few of their titles, mostly The Destroyer and The Psi-Lords -- but it wasn't a strong enough gimmick to hold the reader's long-term interests. Maybe if they'd waited for iPads and digital downloads?
    Yeah it does work better with the glasses. I have tried reading Psi Lords with the glasses on and after an issue or two I end up with a headache.

• Options
    Bernie Wrightson
  • Options
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Caliban said:

George Pratt

That's pretty cool

Never seen that cover before, I like how you can make out it is Batman without being 100 percent sure that it is him and what he is doing.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

Caliban said:

George Pratt

That's pretty cool

Never seen that cover before, I like how you can make out it is Batman without being 100 percent sure that it is him and what he is doing.
    Nah, that's just a bad scan. Here's a better one: