Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    I really don't get why someone disliked the fact that I thought Longbow Hunters was an excellent series...
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited February 2013
    The Sixth Gun, Vol 2: The Crossroads, written by Collen Bunn, and illustrated by Brian Hurt. I haven't been a fan of Bunn's Marvel work - but this indie supernatural western series is really doing it for me!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I've been waiting for a new B.P.R.D. trade to come out for forever, since I only read them in trades. At some point I read somewhere that the title had changed. Got my January DCBS box about a week ago and I'm now on the third trade, "Russia," of B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth. Damn these are good books.
  • Options
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    edited February 2013

BLister said:

JLA Strength in Numbers. Next up is Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Menace.

Bucky O’Hare isn’t the greatest story in the world, but it’s lighthearted and entertaining enough. The real draw for the book is Michael Golden’s superb artwork. I hope you enjoy it.

I didn't enjoy the story as much as the art, but it WAS fun. It felt a bit like Walt Kelly meets Star Wars.

I also read Zero Hour for the first time this week.
  • Options
    BLister said:

BLister said:

Bucky O’Hare isn’t the greatest story in the world, but it’s lighthearted and entertaining enough. The real draw for the book is Michael Golden’s superb artwork. I hope you enjoy it.

I didn't enjoy the story as much as the art, but it WAS fun. It felt a bit like Walt Kelly meets Star Wars.
    Glad you liked it. It was definitely playing off the popularity of Star Wars (Lara Hama came up with the character in 1978), and was designed to be a multimedia project. Michael even said that the characters were designed to look good as toys. Eventually a cartoon series and toy line did come about, and did fairly well for a while.

• Options

BLister said:

BLister said:

Glad you liked it. It was definitely playing off the popularity of Star Wars (Lara Hama came up with the character in 1978), and was designed to be a multimedia project. Michael even said that the characters were designed to look good as toys. Eventually a cartoon series and toy line did come about, and did fairly well for a while.

I believe Mike Golden is credited as a co-creator of the character.

e
    L nny

• Options
    That’s because Michael designed the characters and illustrated the comics, but Larry had the idea and story thought out four or five years before he brought Michael on board.
  • Options
    I remember the cartoon and the toys.

Catchy theme song.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just put down American Vampire vol 1. THIS IS HOW VAMPIRES SHOULD BE DONE!!! Such a well weaved story from Snyder and King. The two story parts per issue was a great change to the usual. And both melted together beautifully. The art between the two as well was top class. Slightly different in the finish for each to show the changing times. Really clever stuff. I'll be picking up more volumes as soon as payday arrives.
  • Options
    arkham asylum. i know i am a little late to that party but wow am i glad i finally just sat down and read it!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Moon Knight volume 3

This is the third trade of the Huston series. Pretty good with great artwork.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Fear Itself The Fearless. Loved it. Fantastic art tandem of Bagley and Pelletier and a nice travelogue of the Marvel universe. Light on the Spiderman and Wolverine too so we get a heavier focus on the B level. Big fan.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Well I've had the most fun reading a comic in a long long time. I've just finished the first vol of IDWs Ghostbusters and it was like being transported back all those many years to my first ever cinema experience watching Ghostbusters 2. I had a smile in my face the whole time right from seeing Stay Puft on the front cover, all the way to the homage of the ghostbusters ad from the movie on the back page. The story was brilliant, there where so many nods from all the other ghostbuster mediums out there. I loved seeing 'hidden' ghosts in the art from all the toys I used to have. And the art just fit perfectly. I just can't rave about this book enough. I need the next few trades now!!!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Marvel Masterworks: X-Men Volume 1-3.
  • Options
    vertigovertigo Posts: 1
    It's been a while since I posted or have read a graphic novel. I finished up lone wolf and cub volume 13. As always koike doesn't disappoint. If u like comics u gotta try out this timeless series. I also started Gotham Central volume 2. I love Brubakers crime writing style. I made my first comic/trade purchase in a long time. I've got Saga volume one coming. Based on the comments here it looks to be polarizing. Also picked up the first Fatale trade. More Brubaker goodness. The third book is Gotham Central hc vol 3. The last book is Darwyn Cookes volume 2 the outfit. The first one was awesome and highly recommend to everyone.
  • Options
    Black Panther, by Christopher Priest, volumes 1 & 2 Finally got around to reading this (I think I bought these volumes at NYCC a few years ago!). Fun read - a nice fresh take on the character - love the mix of politics, action, and espionage, with a nice helping of humor (Bill Clinton make s avery funny guest appearance even!). Art is a little uneven - some Mark Texiera, Mark Bright, and Mike Hanley, among others - but certainly serviceable. A shame they never traded the rest of the series (I think it ran around 65 issues). Seems an omnibus might be in order!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    I noticed some mixed reviews on Saga here. I have all the floppies and re-read the whole thing when issue 9 came out. I just bought the trade to re-read it again because it was only $5. I have to say, I love this book. One of the reasons I love it is because of the way Vaughan is presenting the story. Our narrator has just been born in the main story, so we get interjected commentary almost like you would have if you were watching a dvd with the commentary on from her older self. I liked it enough, I just bought Y The Last Man trade #1. I'm half through it and so far so good.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Finished the second volume of Adventure Time the other day and thought it was just as good as the first, definitely of the same quality as anything on the show itself. Plus, a little more BMO. More BMO is always a good thing.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Finally read Locke & Key vol 1. It was great! I plan on buying the rest very soon.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I've been on a (new) Image kick lately.

Read vols. 1 & 2 of Fatale and liked it a whole lot. I've read so many negative comments (not on here, but on other sites) where people complain that Brubaker has "lost it" or doesn't know what he's doing mixing crime and horror. I have to say, I really found the story interesting and engrossing. Is it as good as his Criminal stories? Not from what I can remember. But I appreciate that it's something new composed of a lot of standard elements that I've never seen mixed together in quite this way. I've also seen the complaint that his use of horror isn't "Lovecraftian enough" or whatever. But I... just liked it. I don't need everything to be a standard recognizable way, nor do I need every Brubaker/Phillips collaboration to be a perfect 5-star effort. Through ten issues, Fatale has just been damn solid. Maybe it wouldn't read as well in monthly issues, but each 5-issue trade read quite enjoyably and cohesively.

I've also reread Saga (the one trade that's out) and Prophet (the first trade and all subsequent issues). Both were every bit as good as people are saying, and Prophet especially improves and improves and improves with every reading. And I ALREADY thought it was probably the best comic on the stands when I read it the first time.

Next up: Rereading the Glory vol. 1 trade and waiting impatiently for vol. 2 to be solicited. And for Saga vol. 2 to come out.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

I've also reread Saga (the one trade that's out) and Prophet (the first trade and all subsequent issues). Both were every bit as good as people are saying, and Prophet especially improves and improves and improves with every reading. And I ALREADY thought it was probably the best comic on the stands when I read it the first time.

Thanks for posting! 'm going to have to try Prophet now.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Just read the first Manhunter, Vol. 1, by Marc Andreyko. Another book that I've had on my "to read" pile for a few years. I was actually very pleasantly surprised by how readable it was. Clever concept and great main character. I'll be looking to get later editions. Has anyone read the whole series/does the quality hold up?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    Shazam Family Archives Volume One
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Old Man Logan by Millar/McNiven. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I loved it. I also greatly enjoyed Marvels (Busiek/Ross) but I was only moderately entertained by Kingdom Come (Waid/Ross). Reading all three for a graduate English class.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited March 2013
    Checked out SAGA from the library. I like the concept, story and art, but could do without the nudity/sex stuff.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I read Superman Panic in the Sky tpb. It is basically Superman vs Brainiac & their forces fighting in space & elsewhere. The JLA (or what is considered the JLA), GL Corps heavyhitters, JLI or JL Europe at this point, The big red cheese, Kirby's Fourth World heroes & more join in the fight. This collection had only a few twists & turns but not enough to move beyond the realm of just an average Superman story. This event just basically why you needed the JLA as the big 7 & to have a ready army. I just wished that the "sacrificial death" was of a hero of greater importance & not a D lister that one mentions once or twice before and is never mentioned again. The art is great for 1991 combining the talents of Tom Grummett, Bob McCloud, Dan Jurgens & more in making the epic event possible for the readers. If I have a major gripe about it is on one page a few of the villains on earth did look very similar to Skrulls (a villain from the Fantastic Four, a MARVEL title). While I praise the effort in practice as for the rating itself I can only give a 3 stars out of 5 for this event.

Matthew
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    mguy1977 said:

I read Superman Panic in the Sky tpb. It is basically Superman vs Brainiac & their forces fighting in space & elsewhere. The JLA (or what is considered the JLA), GL Corps heavyhitters, JLI or JL Europe at this point, The big red cheese, Kirby's Fourth World heroes & more join in the fight. This collection had only a few twists & turns but not enough to move beyond the realm of just an average Superman story. This event just basically why you needed the JLA as the big 7 & to have a ready army. I just wished that the "sacrificial death" was of a hero of greater importance & not a D lister that one mentions once or twice before and is never mentioned again. The art is great for 1991 combining the talents of Tom Grummett, Bob McCloud, Dan Jurgens & more in making the epic event possible for the readers. If I have a major gripe about it is on one page a few of the villains on earth did look very similar to Skrulls (a villain from the Fantastic Four, a MARVEL title). While I praise the effort in practice as for the rating itself I can only give a 3 stars out of 5 for this event.

Matthew

That would be Bob McLeod, not Bob McCloud.

One of the things to note about this epic (which I enjoyed a bit more than you) was that it helped set up Superman's return to the JLA. At that stage, in the post-Crisis DCU, Superman was not and had never been a member. (It was later retconned that he had been made an honorary member at some stage.) DC had just 'disaassembled' the American branch of the JLI and the 'bwah-ha-ha' era was coming to a close. The decision had been made to revamp the series with Superman as the lead member, and Panic In The Sky was a warm-up to that new era.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    That is why I gave it good rating for effort. However, I just think it came up major league short in the end. Thanks for the correction between Bob's on the series. You could have killed either Fire or Ice (or someone else) and made it a bit more closer to the JL instead of a unknown D lister. I have all the JLI/JL Europe HCs/tpbs of the series. It is good to hear another point of view Chuck always.

Matthew
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    So I finished Superman Earth One Volume 2 and thought it was awful. The Parasite design was horrible. For someone who relies so heavily on photo reference I thought the art was really all over the place compared to Volume 1. The worst thing was the writing and depiction of Clark out of costume.
    If I were DC I would think twice about letting JMS near Superman.