Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

But I can't stand Billy Bratson, I don't like the fact that Cap seems to be more childlike in age, and I really hate that white hoodie his costume now seems to sport. The strip is trying too hard to be 'modern' instead of fanciful and just comes off as cynical.

It's for the very reasons Chuck states, I see the potential for this to be a great take on the Cap origin. While I'm not a fan of the hood, it already seems to have disappeared by the end of the mini-series story, and I actually dig the "lightning bolt within the lightning bolt" design on the chest.

I like "Bratson" because it looks like we're not going to see him stay that way for long. He's going to learn the value of responsibility (with great power and all that), family, and how to not be such a douchebag. A hero's journey, so to speak. There's a solid side-story to be told with the other orphans serving as Billy's family and Black Adam remains as menacing as he ever was.

One thing we do agree on - the artwork was really, REALLY nice on it...

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    It's a sad weekend in baseball when the only 3 inductees in the Hall of Fame died 70+ yrs ago.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    mwhitt80 said:

It's a sad weekend in baseball when the only 3 inductees in the Hall of Fame died 70+ yrs ago.

I could care less about the HoF anymore. The voting process is a joke and the steroid era isn't helping.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

WetRats said:

A question for those who have been reading the recent "Shazam"* reboot:

Is it even slightly as creative as what Moore & Gaiman did with the concept thirty years ago?

*Captain Marvel, goddammit!

Not even close. The only positive thing I can say is that the Gary Frank art is nice.

But I can't stand Billy Bratson, I don't like the fact that Cap seems to be more childlike in age, and I really hate that white hoodie his costume now seems to sport. The strip is trying too hard to be 'modern' instead of fanciful and just comes off as cynical.

In contrast to @Torchsong's opinion, I'd prefer to have no Cap over this version of Cap. I can only console myself with the fact that it really could be worse.
    IT COULD?

• Options
    With Batman Inc. coming out ending Grant Morrison's run on Batman, I've seen many interviews with Morrison posted on various news sites. All of them touching on Multiversity. All the interviewers seem interested on Morrison's take on Wonder Woman. I want to read his Captain Marvel. He might be one of the few writers that can get past the "kid with superpowers" stumbling block.

His characterization of Billy in Superman Beyond was spot on. Would have made CC Beck proud.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

Is it even slightly as creative as what Moore & Gaiman did with the concept thirty years ago?

Not even close. The only positive thing I can say is that the Gary Frank art is nice.

In contrast to @Torchsong's opinion, I'd prefer to have no Cap over this version of Cap. I can only console myself with the fact that it really could be worse.
    IT COULD?

Oh, it could always be worse!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    ok shazam talk is turning into a bit worthy of thread ;)
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Today I listened to the first two episodes of the 1940's Superman radio serial today.

An interesting take on Superman's origin. Without spoiling a 73 yr old radio program, I will just say they made the origin as simple as they possibly could without letting logic - even by Super hero standards - get in their way.

The show is a slow build but I have enjoyed it so far. It had potential for something to listen to during the daily work commute.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Today I listened to the first two episodes of the 1940's Superman radio serial today.

An interesting take on Superman's origin. Without spoiling a 73 yr old radio program, I will just say they made the origin as simple as they possibly could without letting logic - even by Super hero standards - get in their way.

The show is a slow build but I have enjoyed it so far. It had potential for something to listen to during the daily work commute.

I love the Superman radio show; all subtlety is completely tossed aside in favor of fitting the story into 15 minute bites.

You want a newspaper job without references or experiences of any kind? Sure, why not?

Clark Kent builds a strong reputation for getting the story and having his hunches always turn out to be 100% correct, so why would you make any attempt to believe anything he claims for the first 11 parts of a 12 part story?

Batman lives in Metropolis, and no one but Superman knows who he really is, but everyone seems to know where his house is and that he has a butler named Alfred!

Every thug in town just calls his leader "da Boss." I wonder how they keep it all straight when they meet up after hours?

:))
  • Options

I love the Superman radio show; all subtlety is completely tossed aside in favor of fitting the story into 15 minute bites.

You want a newspaper job without references or experiences of any kind? Sure, why not?

Clark Kent builds a strong reputation for getting the story and having his hunches always turn out to be 100% correct, so why would you make any attempt to believe anything he claims for the first 11 parts of a 12 part story?

Batman lives in Metropolis, and no one but Superman knows who he really is, but everyone seems to know where his house is and that he has a butler named Alfred!

Every thug in town just calls his leader "da Boss." I wonder how they keep it all straight when they meet up after hours?

:))
    I love the language used. Jimmy Olsen and Dick Grayson going on a date. The Police taking a suspect to the station to "pump" him for answers. Pronouncing the "e" at the end of "coupe".

Awesome stuff!
  • Options

WetRats said:

• Options

rebis said:

WetRats said:

IT COULD?

Oh, it could always be worse!
    I wish DC would sell Captain Marvel & Friends to Dynamite and let them play with the character.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What? Black Adam doesn't get some love?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

I wish DC would sell Captain Marvel & Friends to Dynamite and let them play with the character.

I don't. I really couldn't afford to keep up with:

Captain Marvel
    Captain Marvel & Family
    Captain Marvel & Friends
    Captain Marvel meets Project Superpowers
    Captain Marvel: The Power of the Word
    Captain Marvel: Eye of the Talking Tiger
    Captain Marvel: Youth Gone Wild
    Mary Marvel
    Mary Marvel: Young Love
    Mary Marvel: The Dark Roots of All Evil
    Mary Marvel: Cover Gallery Issue
    Captain Marvel Jr
    Captain Marvel Jr: My Brother's Shadow
    Captain Marvel Jr: Lean on Me
    Captain Marvel Jr: Taking Charge
    The Lieutenant Marvels
    The Lieutenant Marvels: Keep on Rockin in the Free World
    The Lieutenant Marvels: Brothers in Arms
    The Lieutenant Marvels: Disintegration

etc. etc. etc.

Good Lord, *anyone* but Dynamite! :)

You forgot:

Captain Marvel of Mars
  • Options
    Ooh! I wanna read Captain Marvel And The Eye Of The Talking Tiger!
  • Options
    ...and The Lieutenant Marvels: Disintegration sounds interesting, too!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Captain Marvel
    Captain Marvel & Family
    Captain Marvel & Friends
    Mary Marvel
    Captain Marvel Jr
    The Lieutenant Marvels

I narrowed down the list to the 14 I would get monthly. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I will get the rest in trade.
  • Options
    If you double post are you buying 28?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Captain Marvel
    Captain Marvel & Family
    Captain Marvel & Friends
    Mary Marvel
    Captain Marvel Jr
    The Lieutenant Marvels

etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think Alex Ross wouldn't be able to draw that many variant covers every month.
  • Options
    rebis said:

If you double post are you buying 28?

I thought about it, but I really have to cut back. The edit button cut my pull list back down to 14.
  • Options
    I was sourcing HR managers in India for my technical recruiting job that I do for someone I barely ever have to see in person or talk to on the phone, while listening to some nostalgic 90s favorites on Spotify, and took a moment to procrastinate and check an Internet comics forum about the funnybooks. In the bedroom, my wife is watching Friday Night Lights via Netflix on the iPad. And our daughter is simply asleep in her room, (the only unplugged thing that is happening.)

Ever have a moment where you feel like technology has made your life a lot different than you imagined 10-15 years ago?
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Finally got around to watching the new Oz film with the kids. It had some really fantastic moments, but overall I'm glad this was a Redbox rental (with a free code no less).

@Fredzilla - I saw a great YouTube video that showed that Oz is EXACTLY the same movie as Army of Darkness... pretty funny and insightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RrJWJCUcw
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

Finally got around to watching the new Oz film with the kids. It had some really fantastic moments, but overall I'm glad this was a Redbox rental (with a free code no less).

@Fredzilla - I saw a great YouTube video that showed that Oz is EXACTLY the same movie as Army of Darkness... pretty funny and insightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RrJWJCUcw
    Oh goodie! :-bd I saw it posted somewhere too, but I didn't want to watch the video until I had seen the new Oz. Thanks for saving me a few minutes of searching!
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Captain Marvel
    Captain Marvel & Family
    Captain Marvel & Friends
    Mary Marvel
    Captain Marvel Jr
    The Lieutenant Marvels

etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget the six covers for each issue!

While a sadly accurate bit of satire, I do enjoy several Dynamite titles. The key is to find the character you like and then wait for a solid creative team, and, since nothing really seems interact with other titles (regardless of character crossovers), just be happy in the title you have.

I'm only reading one Shadow book and one Green Hornet book (and only one cover for each), and I'm happy with those.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    David_D said:

I was sourcing HR managers in India for my technical recruiting job that I do for someone I barely ever have to see in person or talk to on the phone

Um...if they need HR managers in Minnesota, I'd rather get back into that job than the wiping behinds job I currently do while looking for an HR job...

:-/
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

While a sadly accurate bit of satire, I do enjoy several Dynamite titles. The key is to find the character you like and then wait for a solid creative team, and, since nothing really seems interact with other titles (regardless of character crossovers), just be happy in the title you have.

Oh, I love Dynamite as well...I just know how they operate. If property A is a good seller, then surely saturating the market with produces A1, A2, A3....A32 will also work! :)
    David_D said:

Ever have a moment where you feel like technology has made your life a lot different than you imagined 10-15 years ago?

One day my father-in-law came into the living where three of us are all eyes glued to our phones at the same time and he just shook his head and said "Look at the three of you...all this going on and you're all glued to the screens. Where'd you ever pick that up?"

Without missing a beat his son blurts out the old marijuana ad line: "From you! We learned it from watching you!"

(Because HE really is the worst one for plugging into the screen and dropping out of reality.)

• Options

David_D said:

I was sourcing HR managers in India for my technical recruiting job that I do for someone I barely ever have to see in person or talk to on the phone

Um...if they need HR managers in Minnesota, I'd rather get back into that job than the wiping behinds job I currently do while looking for an HR job...

:-/
    I wish I had something I could give you a lead on, but the only HR search we have is this role in India, and the person would have to be on-site. And the person I work for usually doesn't do HR manager searches, this is a one-off for a client we usually do technical searches for. Sorry. Wish I could be more help.