Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

Bought the 1990 Flash tv series for $10 bucks @ Walmart. Worried that $10 still may have been too much :-/

That was about $15 too much.
    Worth it for Amanda Pays alone!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
  • Options
    Getting nostalgic as I read through some old comics. I really miss the days when you could buy a comic for twelve cents, fifteen cents, even a quarter, and get one or two complete stories for your money... as opposed to today's paying three or four dollars for 1/6th of a long, padded story.

Just saying.
  • Options
    The headline for this story should have been "The Empire Has No Clothes."
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Vampirella may damn well be the best kept secret in comics.

Anyone who thinks it's all gratuitous T&A is going to go home disappointed. Anyone who likes macabre horror tales with amazing art (and the occasional scantily-clad vampire woman) is going to be well pleased.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Getting nostalgic as I read through some old comics. I really miss the days when you could buy a comic for twelve cents, fifteen cents, even a quarter, and get one or two complete stories for your money... as opposed to today's paying three or four dollars for 1/6th of a long, padded story.

Just saying.

I've been scanning my older SA comics. I want to sell them, but don't want to be without them.
    You're so right. 34 to 36 pages. Two stories, great house ads, and a letter column. I miss those day.s
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Tonebone said:

Back to the Future? Kinda? It did say "To Be Continued" and then took four years for the sequel.

Only part 2 said "to be continued...", and the sequel came out 6 months later.
    Part 1 said "to be continued...", part 2 said "to be concluded..."
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    There's Kill Bill, and pretty much every 80's horror movie ended on a cliffhanger that was ignored as quickly as possible in the sequel.
  • Options
    Kill Bill: 6 months, not three years.

80s horror movies are generally not as revered as The Empire Strikes Back.
  • Options
    Bleeding Cool's "Swipe File" is seemingly incapable of telling the difference between an homage/reference and an actual swipe.

Today's is a classic.

The Scarlet Spider cover is an homage.

The Thanos page is a blatant swipe.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

The lack of Cynicalman love breaks my heart. @-)

Not sure what you're referring to, but I LOVE Cynicalman, CuteGirl, Ant Boy, and all the rest! I did a comic with Matt Feazell when I was in High School... I penciled it, and he inked it, from a script he wrote... it was never published, and I don't know where the art is...
    Nobody replied to this thread.

Hence my lamentation.

Collaboration with Matt Feazell? Way cool!
    Yeah... we both occasionally did stuff for a minicomic called MISC!, published by these high school kids in Minnesota (same age as me), and he graciously let me ink him, or pencil for him on a few occasions. The story I mentioned was an actual "big" comic story... about 12 or 14 pages... we were going to shop to Pacific, Eclipse, etc. as a short "anthology" type feature.

Wish I could find the pages. It was actually a great story he wrote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    I have a new tee shirt for sale, starting at midnight tonight...

It can be purchased for 24 hours at shirtpunch.com

EDIT: Oops... Starts at midnight TONIGHT, Aug. 31... the price is 12.00 plus shipping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Tonebone said:

Bought the 1990 Flash tv series for $10 bucks @ Walmart. Worried that $10 still may have been too much :-/

@CaptShazam : Oh, My Gosh! I somehow read your comment as you bought the Flash Gordon tv series... the one on Sci Fi channel! THAT piece of crap.

I LOVED the Flash series! I retract my statement... and I'm gonna head to Walmart and get a copy for myself!

Just checked online at Walmart.com and it's $42!!!!
  • Options
    Speaking of cool dvds at Walmart... here's one of those 4 movies in one pack...

With Flash Gordon, Battlestar Galactica, The Last Starfighter, and Dune. for under $17.

link

That's a whole evening of cheesy sci-fi fun!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

@CaptShazam : Oh, My Gosh! I somehow read your comment as you bought the Flash Gordon tv series... the one on Sci Fi channel! THAT piece of crap.

I LOVED the Flash series! I retract my statement... and I'm gonna head to Walmart and get a copy for myself!

Just checked online at Walmart.com and it's $42!!!!
    I also picked up the Birds of Prey tv series dvd set. This one looks like it had some potential!
  • Options
    I've got both the Flash and the Birds Of Prey sets. I recommend the former most heartily, but the latter is an acquired taste -- not terrific, but not terrible either.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

Back to the Future? Kinda? It did say "To Be Continued" and then took four years for the sequel.

I'm sure BTTF 1 did not have a "to be continued" in the theater... maybe they re-released it before BTTF 2, with that added.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Part 2 said "To Be Concluded..."
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2013
    It's like this every month when my DCBS box arrives...

...alas, my wife never gets that excited with me though.

As you were. :-B
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    fredzilla said:

It's like this every month when my DCBS box arrives...

...alas, my wife never gets that excited with me though.

As you were. :-B

Do you ever think that you should also order comics and not N64s?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

I'm sure BTTF 1 did not have a "to be continued" in the theater... maybe they re-released it before BTTF 2, with that added.
    This is entirely possible. I never saw it in the theater, just on video, so I assumed it was always there. I just watched the DVD the other day and it cut to credits immediately after the Delorean flies toward the screen, not a "To Be Continued..." in sight.

Similarly, they changed Gremlins 2 for home video... in the scene where the Gremlins interrupt the showing of the movie, the theatrical version (which they also showed on HBO) has them trying to show a nudie film before Hulk Hogan yells at them from (ostensibly) the movie theater audience. On VHS, it cuts to a "snowy" screen and the Gremlins start inserting themselves into other videos, before (a badly dubbed) black & white John Wayne tells them to knock it off.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited September 2013

Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

This is entirely possible. I never saw it in the theater, just on video, so I assumed it was always there. I just watched the DVD the other day and it cut to credits immediately after the Delorean flies toward the screen, not a "To Be Continued..." in sight.

Similarly, they changed Gremlins 2 for home video... in the scene where the Gremlins interrupt the showing of the movie, the theatrical version (which they also showed on HBO) has them trying to show a nudie film before Hulk Hogan yells at them from (ostensibly) the movie theater audience. On VHS, it cuts to a "snowy" screen and the Gremlins start inserting themselves into other videos, before (a badly dubbed) black & white John Wayne tells them to knock it off.
    The "To Be Continued" was added during the VHS/broadcast TV release. The DVD retains the original theatrical ending without the tag at the end. Super frustrating the first time I saw it because I had never seen it except on VHS before that.

Actually its really similar to Star War: A New Hope. When that was released it didn't originally have the A New Hope title during the opening. It was added during the rerelease leading up to the release of Empire.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2013
    A few initial thoughts in my DCBS order:

I own the Mighty Thor Simonson Omnibus, but got the first re-collected trade so I can actually get around to reading it (btw-it's been recolored). *%&#(#, is it gorgeous.

I also own the Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 Omnibus, but got the new re-issued vol. 1 omnibus. It has the same content, but it's half the thickness of the first edition. Half. the. size. It also lays flat on the table with little to no gutter loss. It was only $50.

Got Mike Norton's Battlepug vol. 2 and flipped through it. Is that a Robert Kirkman cameo at the end there? :-? What has been seen cannot be unseen... X_X

Since I ordered Rex, Zombie Killer's new #1 issue, I also got the One Shot for $1. Fifty-six. pages. for. a. dollar.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

Got Mike Norton's Battlepug vol. 2 and flipped through it. Is that a Robert Kirkman cameo at the end there? :-? What has been seen cannot be unseen... X_X

KIRKMAN!

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    fredzilla said:

A few initial thoughts in my DCBS order:

Scribbly wears Chris Crank's infamous engineer hat.

I've not looked through my Battlepug yet, but I just got my order and had church stuff last night. I'm excited though KoDT 200 baby. Pumped.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Star Trek into Darkness, Big Bang Theory season 6, and the WWE produced Mid South Wrestling set all come out on DVD sept 10th. Good day to be a geek.
  • Options
    I just finished listening to the Showcase episodes on the Golden Age and Silver Age eras of Superman, and I had a couple of notes:

There was another regular Superman artist during the fifties and sixties who never seems to get a nod, and that was Al Plastino, who currently does the Henry syndicated strip. By my recollection, Plastino seemed to work primarily on the Action Comics Superman stories, probably alternating with Swan, at least up to the mid or late sixties. The two most prominent stories that I can offhand recall him having done were the very first Supergirl story and the origin of the Parasite.

Incidentally, mention was made of the 'try-out' story for a Supergirl, in which Jimmy Olsen manifests a super-powered love interest for Superman by means of a magic totem. That particular story is noteworthy for another reason: it was drawn by Batman artist, Dick Sprang, doing a rare job for the Superman titles. (Sprang also drew a lot of the first Superman-Batman team-ups in World's Finest, so he had some familiarity with drawing Superman.)

Speaking of World's Finest -- the main reason that DC first teamed Superman & Batman in a regular series together was because the company at that time was cutting the pages of all of their books from 48 pages to 32 pages and they could no longer fit their two headliners in the same book with different stories. The team-up was essentially an economic move, allowing them to keep both characters in the same title where they had both been headlining since the book began, but had previously only appeared together on the covers.

Finally, I'm a little confused on the timeline of Mort Weisinger's involvement on the Superman titles. My understanding was that he and Whitney Ellsworth had both been involved with the Adventures Of Superman TV show during the fifties, beginning in about 1951 or so -- Weisinger, in fact, is the story editor on the series for the first four seasons or so. (I've been watching the DVD sets recently, and have seen his name in the credits.) His taking over the editorship of the Superman books would seem to have come about during the final season, more or less, of the TV show, and Ellsworth had already been gone from the DC offices for several years at that point. Wouldn't Weisinger have been taking the reins from another DC editor, like, perhaps, Jack Schiff? (This is likely a question for a Superman scholar.)

• Options

Finally, I'm a little confused on the timeline of Mort Weisinger's involvement on the Superman titles. My understanding was that he and Whitney Ellsworth had both been involved with the Adventures Of Superman TV show during the fifties, beginning in about 1951 or so -- Weisinger, in fact, is the story editor on the series for the first four seasons or so. (I've been watching the DVD sets recently, and have seen his name in the credits.) His taking over the editorship of the Superman books would seem to have come about during the final season, more or less, of the TV show, and Ellsworth had already been gone from the DC offices for several years at that point. Wouldn't Weisinger have been taking the reins from another DC editor, like, perhaps, Jack Schiff? (This is likely a question for a Superman scholar.)

When Weisinger returned to DC after WWII, Ellsworth was the editorial director and Jack Schiff was kept on as an editor. Weisinger and Schiff were basically switching off on editing the Batman and Superman books. Ellsworth began his move to Hollywood around 1950, leaving the editors increasingly up to their own devices. Ellsworth brought Weisinger in as story editor for the TV show, so Weisinger would go to Hollywood for a few weeks each year, but was able to keep his editorial duties.

As for the comics, by 1952 Ellsworth was in Hollywood nearly full-time, so Irwin Donenfeld was named editorial director. There was no real consistency of which editors did what until 1953, when DC went to the editorial group format they still use today. That’s when Weisinger was more or less put in charge of Superman. Donenfeld (and to a lesser extent Ellsworth) was nominally in charge, and Ellsworth insisted that the Superman comics not get to far afield of the TV show while it was in production, but otherwise Weisinger got to do pretty much what he wanted (within certain guidelines) with the line from 1953 on.