Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Also 1975 Gil Kane and Al Milgrom
  • Options
    and Warrior #2 from 1982 signed by Garry Leach and Paul Neary
  • Options
    As great as that cover was, I always loved the back cover to it even more:

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Your Spider-Man cover for 1974 is Amazing Spider-Man #136 (Sept. 1974). Later this year Romita would give up penciling the Spidey covers in favor of Gil Kane, but Romita would stay on board as inker. But Romita would be back to doing full cover duties in about a year.

• Options
    One last LSCC purchase
    Neal Adams 1971
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    And this week's 2000AD is a jumping on prog with five all new stories starting.
    Cover by Edmund Bagwell
  • Options
    Let’s kick off 1975 with another treasury cover: MGM’s Marvelous Wizard of Oz. This, of course, was the first Marvel and DC team-up with Marvel taking the lead on the production. Besides the cover, Romita also drew some interior illustrations.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    As a kid, I could never get over the fact that the companies with the greatest superheroes and top talent did their long-overdue first crossover on an adaptation of a 35-year-old old movie.
  • Options
    Used to see that all the time in the little corner store my dad used to take me too. Always tempted to buy it, but in the end, eh, it wasn't about superheroes. :-)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Yeah, this was one of those 'oddity' comics that really didn't seem in sync with the market or the fans... but I bought a copy anyway and found it to be generally enjoyable. John Buscema did the story art, as I recall.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Why did it require both publishers?
  • Options
    My recollection is fuzzy on this... I think it was a situation where each company was already involved in one facet or another of finagling the rights to do an adaptation, and the upcoming Superman/Spider-Man project gave them the idea to combine their efforts? I'm sure there's an account of the back story to this project somewhere...
  • Options

Bringing up an ancient controversy:

First appearance, explicit description of the character being clad in solid silver.

Case closed?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

My recollection is fuzzy on this... I think it was a situation where each company was already involved in one facet or another of finagling the rights to do an adaptation, and the upcoming Superman/Spider-Man project gave them the idea to combine their efforts? I'm sure there's an account of the back story to this project somewhere...

I would guess that it has been covered in a twomorrows magazine. Everything comics has been covered by twomorrows at once.

Now if only we had a comics expert that has on occasion done some writing for twomorrows to help us with the answer...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    mwhitt80 said:

I would guess that it has been covered in a twomorrows magazine. Everything comics has been covered by twomorrows at once.

Now if only we had a comics expert that has on occasion done some writing for twomorrows to help us with the answer...

Yep. It’s in Back Issue #61, the tabloid issue. Long story short: Marvel and DC had independently begun working on an adaptation—Shelly Mayer was doing the DC version. They found out about each other’s plans at a toy company (likely Mego—Roy Thomas' memory wasn't entirely clear) announcement (likely at a Toy Fair) of a Wizard of Oz line of toys. So they (Stan Lee and Carmine Infantino) thought it made sense to co-publish.

Personally, as much as I love John Buscema’s work, I think I would have rather seen Shelly Mayer’s version. Perhaps we would have ended up with something more like the book illustrations than the movie depictions.
  • Options
    I rather liked Buscema's work on the book... but, yeah, I would have liked to have seen Mayer's version as well.
  • Options
    Clint Langley 2014AD
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Clint Langley 2014AD

Where did the British sci-fi art obsession with stupidly big weapons (and shoulderpads) come from?

Did it start in 2000AD? Games Workshop? Somewhere else?
  • Options
    Also from 1975, Romita’s painted cover for the Son of Origins of Marvel Comics paperback collection—a classic.

• Options
    WetRats said:

Where did the British sci-fi art obsession with stupidly big weapons (and shoulderpads) come from?

Did it start in 2000AD? Games Workshop? Somewhere else?

@WetRats‌ Good question, I'd say it started in 2000AD but I'm just guessing
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Also from 1975, Romita’s painted cover for the Son of Origins of Marvel Comics paperback collection—a classic.

These looks nothing like my copy. Mine is dog eared and the the cover is barely hanging on from all the times I read and reread it. Must of read it at least a hundred times.
  • Options
    One last special format cover before we move on to the regular comics—Marvel Special Edition #1 (June 1975). It’s not the greatest Spidey cover by any means—fairly average, in fact—but it does feature a lot of villains, which boosts the cool factor. Inks by Joe Sinnott.

I mean, the Spidey figure was basically lifted from Amazing Spider-Man #121. (It is interesting to compare Sinnott’s inking choices to Romita’s, though.)

So why include it here? Because of the back cover. I’m not sure if this was the first time the “reverse view” idea was used, but it sure upped the cool factor when I saw it as a kid (though this is not one I was able to get).

• Options

So many butts to be kicked, just two Spidey-boots to go around.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This was a great era for Spider-Man covers. As is demonstrated in Amazing Spider-Man 141. Interiors by Ross Andru and this cover is by John Romita Jr.

This is billed as the first appearance of the new Mysterio (Danny Berkhart); with cameos by the Green Goblin, the Punisher, Doctor Octopus, Morbius, the Molten Man, the Vulture, Hammerhead, the Lizard, and the Grizzly!

"The Man's Name Appears To Be Mysterio" Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Ross Andru, inks by Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt. John Romita Sr. cover. Reprinted in Marvel Tales # 118. The letters page has Marvel Value Stamp series A # 35: Killraven.

Cover price $0.25!
  • Options
    Not to be overlooked, Hands of Shang-Chi Master of Kung-Fu #22 began the collaboration of writer Doug Moench and artist Paul Gulacy.

This cover art should be recognizable by John Buscema and Joe Sinnott. I think Buscema had only one style of eyebrows, nose and mouth. His Hulk and Conan and just about every other character he drew all looked related :)

Still only $0.25! Marvel Value Stamp was "Kang"!
  • Options

Spider-Butt: The most-often-portrayed male superhero butt in comics cover history?
  • Options

While this is essentially an all-reprint issue, I loved the Gil Kane cover. Inside it was Stan Lee writing and Jack Kirby pencils with inks by Vince Colletta and letters by Sam Rosen. Also in this issue: Thor vs. Hercules in "When Heroes Clash!" reprinted from Journey into Mystery Annual #1 with story by Stan Lee, art by Kirby and inks by Vince Colletta. Wrapping up this issue is a Tales of Asgard reprint, "When Heimdall Failed!" by Lee and Kirby with George Bell inks.

Cover price $0.50.

Here's the original sketch layout by Gil Kane

• Options
    The buildings in the background look particularly Gil Kane-y to me. Curvier than Kirby would have drawn them.
  • Options
    Dylan Teague had a really bad dream one night
  • Options
    Romita didn’t do many horror covers during his career, and they weren’t really his strong suit, but this one for Journey into Mystery vol. 2, #16 (Apr. 1975) is one of his best attempts.