Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Words of Radiance I think moves a little quicker. You learn a lot more about the world and *some* things are(sort of) explained. There are still interlude chapters which vary in quality. He also does the flashback chapters again but with a different character. It's a good book and I'd go so far as to say it's better than "Way of Kings" ...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Words of Radiance I think moves a little quicker. You learn a lot more about the world and *some* things are(sort of) explained. There are still interlude chapters which vary in quality. He also does the flashback chapters again but with a different character. It's a good book and I'd go so far as to say it's better than "Way of Kings" ...

thank you.. bought it today..

• Options
    hauberk said:

I've enjoyed Sanderson and Erikson both quite a bit. Erikson may edge Sanderson out a bit but he's had some stinkers as well.

I can't say that I really noticed the first book being slow but I tend to try to reverse engineer the magic systems in books so that may have diverted me.

okay.. I think I am just more interested in the plot than the characters themselves.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

I've enjoyed Sanderson and Erikson both quite a bit. Erikson may edge Sanderson out a bit but he's had some stinkers as well.

I can't say that I really noticed the first book being slow but I tend to try to reverse engineer the magic systems in books so that may have diverted me.

okay.. I think I am just more interested in the plot than the characters themselves.

Oh, I'm a plot guy as well, I just have a bit of a mechanics bent where I catch myself trying to figure out the rules and the structure of the magic system and what the mechanics are to be able to simulate it in game plan.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Two wees until the new Dresden novel!
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    WetRats said:

I have it on reserve at the library. I'm behind about 5 other people, so I'm sure I'll have to wait an additional 2 months or so.

Of course, I guess it depends on how many copies they get.

Anyone read either of the two Alex Grecian Murder Squad books? The third one, The Devil's Workshop is out on 5/21. I have that on reserve too! :)

If you've not read them, and you like Jack the Ripper era London and Scotland Yard. Read them.

• Options
    WetRats said:

Weeks. Not "wees". My bladder is not that powerful.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Steeven said:

I have it on reserve at the library. I'm behind about 5 other people, so I'm sure I'll have to wait an additional 2 months or so.

The library? But you are making all that mad publishing money?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Steeven said:

The library? But you are making all that mad publishing money?
    Well yeah, but right now it all just sits in the empty pool so that I can swim in it at me leisure.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    hahahaha

Uncle Steeven McDuck.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Steeven said:

WetRats said:

Of course, I guess it depends on how many copies they get.

Anyone read either of the two Alex Grecian Murder Squad books? The third one, The Devil's Workshop is out on 5/21. I have that on reserve too! :)

If you've not read them, and you like Jack the Ripper era London and Scotland Yard. Read them.

I read the first one The Yard a couple months ago. I enjoyed it. I havn't been able to find a copy of The Black Country yet though. That is the 2nd one I believe.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

Already got my copy ordered.

Currently reading Berserk by Tim Lebbon. Never read anything from him before. But this is an interesting take on the "The government has a dark secret" plot.

• Options
    Finished the latest Destroyermen book last night, started the new Dresden Files this morning. (Alfred! :)) )

@Steeven's book is on deck.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

Finished the latest Destroyermen book last night, started the new Dresden Files this morning. (Alfred! :)) )

I should have teh newest Dresden book in by Monday.

• Options
    WetRats said:

That doesn't make me nervous at all :)

I've got the new Dresden Files on hold at the library, just waiting for folks to read the thing.

Until them I'm reading The Devil's Workshop by Alex Grecian.

• Options
    About halfway through Skin Game.

Ho.

Ly.

Fuck.
  • Options
    Hey central IL folks. (ie @hauberk) I know this is short notice but Jim Butcher will be doing a reading from Skin Game followed by a signing at the Barnes & Noble tonight (june 4) 7:00pm in Skokie IL.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Hey central IL folks. (ie @hauberk) I know this is short notice but Jim Butcher will be doing a reading from Skin Game followed by a signing at the Barnes & Noble tonight (june 4) 7:00pm in Skokie IL.

If you go, yell "Parkour!" at him for me.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

I legitmately laughed out loud at this. It may have even been a cackle. co-workers may have looked at me sternly.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

I legitmately laughed out loud at this. It may have even been a cackle. co-workers may have looked at me sternly.
    Hah! Points for me.

Dresden's dorky humor really is one of the secrets to the brilliance of the books. It not only humanizes the character, it creates a very close bond with humorously dorky readers like myself.
  • Options
    Spot.

Spot.

Damn, I love these books.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Alas - I'm playing assistant clinician for a swimming officials clinic this evening.
  • Options
    My favorite yet.

Why: Two words: "Game Over."

No spoilage.
  • Options
    On a side note. If you like Tolkinian fantasy go buy my buddy Daniel Ionson's book After Life from Amazon. I'm sure he'd appreciate some feedback from people who haven't known him for 20 years. Here's a link to his stuff. http://www.danielionson.com
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

Dating myself with this one:

If one were to yell "Parkour!" at you, the proper response would be "Butters!"
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Han Solo's Revenge. I thought Han Solo at Star's End was good old fashioned fun in a a galaxy far far away
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    DAR said:

Han Solo's Revenge. I thought Han Solo at Star's End was good old fashioned fun in a a galaxy far far away

I read all three of them back-to-back-to-back in 1980, and, yeah, they were quite fun. I recall thinking the third novel wasn't quite as good as the first two, but it’s been a loooong time since I’ve read them.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    That's what I've been hearing too
  • Options
    About half way through Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. It's a space opera piece that, so far, has a little bit of everything in it. It's got the political thriller side - poor relations between the inner planets, the Belt and the outer planets (humanity is limited to the Solar System). It's got mystery - missing ship and crew, detective hired to find and return a prodigal daughter. It's got stuff blowing up - do I really need to expand upon that one? It seems to have a reasonable understanding of the physics of space!

I've recommended it a couple of friends so far. Best comparison that I can offer is that it's like a blend between CJ Cherryh (Hellburner, Heavy Time, Rim Runners), David Drake (Kill Ratio specifically) and maybe a bit of Stephen R. Donaldson (the Gap Cycle).