Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #80
    January, 1968
    Cover pencils by Curt Swan, inks by Neal Adams.

"Lois Lane, tired of her fruitless quest to marry Superman, leaves Metropolis and the Daily Planet. Under the name "Lois Lorne", she finds a job as a nurse at a hospital near a U.S. rocket site, and finds new romance with an astronaut—Commander Rand Kirby."

That's a great cover. I love that the ripped cover is showing us an interior panel of the book. Very cool.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Another archer and another Quality hero, The Spider appeared in the “Alias the Spider” feature in the first 30 issues of Crack Comics. Like The Marksman, he was never featured on a cover except as a floating head. GCD has this cover for Crack Comics #20 (Jan. 1942) tentatively attributed to Gill Fox, but I'm pretty sure it’s not Fox. Judging by the way the hands are drawn and Black Condor's face, it looks to me like Lou Fine. The inking isn't his usual style, but the figures certainly look like him.

Geoff Johns later retconned The Spider as a substitute for Green Arrow in the Seven Soldiers of Victory. But this version of The Spider was actually a villain in hero’s clothing who betrayed the team.

I think that was Grant Morrison who did that?
    Morrison used the same idea, but he created a new character, Thomas Ludlow Dalt (the original was Tom Hallaway), using the Spider identity—though he spelled it “Spyder.” Johns’ story came first. And James Robinson took Johns’ idea and followed through using the son of the retconned original Spider in Starman, also before Morrison’s Seven Soldiers mini.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #80
    January, 1968
    Cover pencils by Curt Swan, inks by Neal Adams.

Logo destruction nearly twenty years before Thor 337.

The Thor 337 came along in 1983, but in 1980 there was Uncanny X-Men 135

I wonder what other covers may have preceded these that featured the book's logo destruction?
    WetRats said:

Oh yeah. That's a really nice dress, Lois. Seriously.

I am digging that dress too.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I wonder what other covers may have preceded these that featured the book's logo destruction?

Seems like something Mad Magazine would have done.
  • Options
    Y'know, Supes should have been more appreciative when Lois sang "Zou Bisou" at his birthday party.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I didn't notice this posted, so.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Seems like something Mad Magazine would have done.
    I'd have to think about it some more, but off the top of my head, there's Carmine Infantino’s cover (inked by Murphy Anderson) to Batman #194 (Aug. 1967).

• Options
    Of course, there's always Will Eisner and The Spirit. This one is from March 1967.

• Options
    This Nick Cardy cover from May-June 1968 qualifies, I think.

• Options
    All great examples, but "Get out of my magazine!" Kicks all their asses!

I have a goal for HeroesCon. I must own a copy of Lois Lane #80.
  • Options
    Those were ALL great examples @nweathington !
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Wow, those were awesome!
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    More Neal Adams! (I figured this might have been posted, but with 139 pages, of posts, I wasn't about to go looking first)

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

More Neal Adams! (I figured this might have been posted, but with 139 pages, of posts, I wasn't about to go looking first)

One of my favorite "Treasury" sized books!
  • Options
    rebis said:

One of my favorite "Treasury" sized books!
    It's also one of Alex Ross's favorite covers:

I only remember seeing it in house ads.

From the classic storyline:
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited June 2014
    I "remember" when Jenette Kahn mentioned it in the back pages of 'Ragman' #5 from 1977. By "remember" of course I mean from when I read the back issue as I wasn't born yet.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Captain America #173
    May 1974
    Cover by John Romita (layout), Gil Kane (pencils), Frank Giacoia (ink)
    Steve Englehart script, pencils by Sal Buscema and inks by Vince Colletta.

Besides Capt and the Falcon, this book includes the original X-Men, Magneto, Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan, S.H.I.E.L.D., Thor, and Iron Man. This book isn't the most valuable one in my collection, but it was one of the first comic books I remember owning and I still treasure it. My copy (like the image above) has a 25 price as this issue was the first in the series to sell for 25 cents.

There are also issues with the original 20 cent price and variant issues with the Mark Jeweler insert.
  • Options
    A little Superman in honor of Wayne Boring’s birthday (1905-1987): Superman #41 (July-Aug. 1946), inks by George Roussos.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I love this thread.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    1978 Dave Cockrum and Joe Sinnott
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In honor of the birthday of the great, cantankerous C. C. Beck (1910-1989): Whiz Comics #39 (Jan. 1943), inks by Pete Costanza.

• Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    edited June 2014
    I’m sorry, I haven’t had chance to check every page of this enjoyable thread so I have no idea whether you’ve already mentioned the one and only Plastic Man. If you have, I apologise in advance, and can only hope that I can maybe introduce you to some covers you may not have seen before. Created by Jack Cole, Plastic Man made his first appearance in Police Comics #1 (an imprint of Quality Comics) in August 1941. Cole, who wrote and drew nearly all of the early Plastic Man adventures, originally wanted to call his hero India Rubber Man. Quality Comics editor “Busy” Arnold suggested instead that they take advantage of the public’s recent fascination with plastic, which had just been dubbed the “miracle material”. During the late 30’s there were dozens of new household items made from plastic. Now there was a superhero as well. Plastic Man earned his own title in Summer 1943 and the title ran till February 1955. During this time Cole produced some amazing and brilliantly constructed covers, such as the one below.

• Options
    1978 Terry Austin and John Romita jr
  • Options

I’m sorry, I haven’t had chance to check every page of this enjoyable thread so I have no idea whether you’ve already mentioned the one and only Plastic Man. If you have, I apologise in advance, and can only hope that I can maybe introduce you to some covers you may not have seen before. Created by Jack Cole, Plastic Man made his first appearance in Police Comics #1 (an imprint of Quality Comics) in August 1941. Cole, who wrote and drew nearly all of the early Plastic Man adventures, originally wanted to call his hero India Rubber Man. Quality Comics editor “Busy” Arnold suggested instead that they take advantage of the public’s recent fascination with plastic, which had just been dubbed the “miracle material”. During the late 30’s there were dozens of new household items made from plastic. Now there was a superhero as well. Plastic Man earned his own title in Summer 1943 and the title ran till February 1955. During this time Cole produced some amazing and brilliantly constructed covers, such as the one below.

I did a quick search, and while some Jack Cole covers have been posted on this thread, I didn't see any Plastic Man covers. Which is weird, because Cole’s Plastic Man is one of my favorite Golden Age features. When my son was young, I would read him the Plastic Man Archives at bedtime, and he loved them.

By the way, the inks for this cover were by Sam Burlockoff. Once Plastic Man's solo title was launched, Cole couldn’t do every story himself, so Alex Kotzky and Jack Spranger (among others) were brought in to draw stories, and Manly Wade Wellman (and later William Woolfolk) was doing a lot of the writing. Cole didn’t draw any of the stories in this issue. In fact, this cover (Jan. 1952) was one of Cole’s last few comic book covers. He left comics six or seven months later.
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    Thanks nweathington - I appreciate your comments and your insight. I stand corrected on Jack Cole's covers!
  • Options

A little Superman in honor of Wayne Boring’s birthday (1905-1987): Superman #41 (July-Aug. 1946), inks by George Roussos.

Great metatextuality.

And really cool the way the question marks are screened out of the yellow background.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Great metatextuality.

And really cool the way the question marks are screened out of the yellow background.
    Yep and yep. Colorists had to be inventive back when they only had 16 choices.

• Options

WetRats said:

Great metatextuality.

Yep and yep. Colorists had to be inventive back when they only had 16 choices.
    Yes. I recall.
  • Options
    I had to dig up a scan of this tonight for a little project I'm working: Movie Classics #175 (Mar. 1966).

• Options
    1980 Dave Gibbons