Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    Fox issued another denial to CBR after BC decided to stand by their statement. That said, this project is already becoming notorious for denying rumors that turn out to be true, so who knows. But I'll take a drunk hobo's word over anything Bleeding Cool says.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    Early concept art revealed for new FF Movie.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So now the word is that the new Fantastic Four reboot is going to be a "found footage" type film?
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/foxs-emma-watts-x-men-714164

Maybe we should have seen this one coming when 20th Century Fox hired Chronicle director Josh Trank for their 6/19/15 reboot of The Fantastic Four. But here we are, as the president of production at Fox has revealed that the film will likely have "found footage elements... It's Josh, so it can't not have that feel." So, just imagine what that means... We're going to have Reed Richards recording Johnny Storm and the Thing fighting their frustrations out on his GoPro. Yay...

Can the adventures of the Fantastic Four be depicted via "found footage"? How original.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Wooof. At least I can't loose anymore interest.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Maybe they're talking about this lost footage...

auntpetunia.com/
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    It sounds more like its lost then found.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

auntpetunia.com/

Cute. Well done.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

So now the word is that the new Fantastic Four reboot is going to be a "found footage" type film?

Maybe we should have seen this one coming when 20th Century Fox hired Chronicle director Josh Trank for their 6/19/15 reboot of The Fantastic Four. But here we are, as the president of production at Fox has revealed that the film will likely have "found footage elements... It's Josh, so it can't not have that feel." So, just imagine what that means... We're going to have Reed Richards recording Johnny Storm and the Thing fighting their frustrations out on his GoPro. Yay...

Can the adventures of the Fantastic Four be depicted via "found footage"? How original.

Maybe there will just be bits of it throughout the movie, and not the central point of the movie. I don't really want to bash on it without seeing what they do with it first. Maybe they have some good ideas for it. The found footage aspects could be thigns like news coverage of the FF in action, or footage that citizens shoot with their cameras or phones when they have FF or villain sightings. I think there could be some good things that you can do with this. It just depends on how its handled.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

auntpetunia.com/

The thought of a young Elizabeth Montgomery playing Sue Storm is ... frankly ... Fantastic!
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    sandman said:

Maybe there will just be bits of it throughout the movie, and not the central point of the movie. I don't really want to bash on it without seeing what they do with it first. Maybe they have some good ideas for it. The found footage aspects could be thigns like news coverage of the FF in action, or footage that citizens shoot with their cameras or phones when they have FF or villain sightings. I think there could be some good things that you can do with this. It just depends on how its handled.
    Those early issues, especially the very first, would lend themselves to found footage as the public first encounters the team. Actually, if those issues were published for the first time today, I could easily see scenes of news and cellphone footage replacing the newspaper headlines and gossiping crowds of those first 3-4 issues. I'm fine with that. Not so much if the entire film is done like that.

I have a hard time imagining the FF as anything but big, splashy, and colorful, so anything that diminishes that is probably going to feel off to me, but I'm still trying to keep an open mind.
  • Options
    Found footage for an abbreviated origin sequence would be fine by me.

As would a complete MARVELS-style approach in which we see them only from the perspective of the man in the street. That would be a nice change-of-pace from the formulaic FF films we've seen so far.
  • Options
    ComicBookMovie has translated an interview in a recent Esquire, interviewing lead actress Kate Mara, who says,
    KateMara said:

I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn’t do it because the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published. So I chose to follow his instructions.

Is this the kind of publicity you want people to read when you're making a movie that already has people questioning everything you're doing?

Color me 'unenthusiastic'

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published.

Not even how they got their powers?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published.

Not even how they got their powers?
    Especially that. Cosmic rays!? Everybody knows that radiation just gives you cancer. No, their powers will be given them by the Watcher, who is fudging his mandate of not getting directly involved with other civilizations by creating free agents who will do the dirty work of policing the earth of outside cosmic threats out of their own self-interest.

And they live in a suburban condo rather than a downtown skyscraper -- and instead of the familiar flare, they send out an emergency signal via the Internet. (Reed has specially modified their iPhones for this -- which paves the way for product placement in the film.) Galactus will become a metaphor for Bernie Madoff; Dr Doom will be an evil robot, but a different evil robot that won't look anything like Ultron; and the Inhumans will be found hiding from Maximus in an upscale club they've been clandestinely operating in Manhattan.

And Ben Grimm is a hipster. With a hat.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Chuck, I have a feeling it'll be worse than that.
  • Options
    I'm at the stage right now where, aside from the X-Men movies, unless Marvel Studios is helming it, I have no desire to see Marvel movies.

Its ashame here, because Kate Mara is always great to look at.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I like the Fantastic Four and yet nothing about this movie makes me want to go and see it which makes me kind of sad considering how good most of these films and television shows have been.
  • Options

Especially that. Cosmic rays!? Everybody knows that radiation just gives you cancer. No, their powers will be given them by the Watcher, who is fudging his mandate of not getting directly involved with other civilizations by creating free agents who will do the dirty work of policing the earth of outside cosmic threats out of their own self-interest.

And they live in a suburban condo rather than a downtown skyscraper -- and instead of the familiar flare, they send out an emergency signal via the Internet. (Reed has specially modified their iPhones for this -- which paves the way for product placement in the film.) Galactus will become a metaphor for Bernie Madoff; Dr Doom will be an evil robot, but a different evil robot that won't look anything like Ultron; and the Inhumans will be found hiding from Maximus in an upscale club they've been clandestinely operating in Manhattan.

And Ben Grimm is a hipster. With a hat.

A perfect pitch ~ except for Inhumans. You'll have to use the X-Men for that role. FOX didn't license the Inhumans.

• Options

ComicBookMovie has translated an interview in a recent Esquire, interviewing lead actress Kate Mara, who says,

KateMara said:

I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn’t do it because the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published. So I chose to follow his instructions.

Is this the kind of publicity you want people to read when you're making a movie that already has people questioning everything you're doing?

Color me 'unenthusiastic'

I'm actually fascinated by the possibilities with this movie; not the movie itself, but what will happen.

So, I'm still convinced this genre has movies made for non-comic book readers (which is a bonus if the fans DO like the movies). Its sounding like readers are not that interested (possibly completely turned off), so will it be successful enough with non-readers to start a franchise? Will there be yet another reboot on the horizon closer to the source material?

Conversely, will this start a trend of taking established properties & going completely off the reservation?

Was the failure of Catwoman because of the movie in general or that it had nothing to do with the source material.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Conversely, will this start a trend of taking established properties & going completely off the reservation?

Was the failure of Catwoman because of the movie in general or that it had nothing to do with the source material.

M

That is an interesting question @Matt
  • Options

A perfect pitch ~ except for Inhumans. You'll have to use the X-Men for that role. FOX didn't license the Inhumans.

Really? I'd have thought they would have been part of the FF package -- the way Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were part of the X-Men license. (Well, the mutant versions anyway...)
  • Options
    'fraid not. This is why rumors persist that Marvel is lowering the visibility of the "mutants" and raising the visibility of "Inhumans"...

Read this: No More Mutants: The war between Marvel and Fox about to ramp up?
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

I this Catwoman was god awful and that's why it failed. Batman Returns Catwoman, and frankly Tim Burton's batman movies in general stray pretty far afield but are entertaining movies that find their own truths that allow them to exist outside of the source material. If Catwoman had been remotely good, it would have taken it's licks before it came out, similar to this new FF, the it would have found its audience. If FF is good it will find it's audience... If not it will be blamed on its lack of faith in the source material.

But Fix already made 2 movies that were recognizably based on the source material and they were middling. I say it was because of extremely poor director choice and a complete lack of understanding the dynamics that make the FF work, but you can't blame them for being wary going back to that well a second time, they probably think they need to distance themselves from that era as much as possible.

That said, no way I'm seeing this in the theater. It's not MY fantastic four, and that's the only FF I want to see. Also, unlike some others here, I think Kate Mara is one of the worst actresses of her generation and would pay a premium just to see a version without her.. Don't even recast, just cut her out.
  • Options

Fox already made 2 movies that were recognizably based on the source material and they were middling. I say it was because of extremely poor director choice and a complete lack of understanding the dynamics that make the FF work, but you can't blame them for being wary going back to that well a second time, they probably think they need to distance themselves from that era as much as possible.

That said, no way I'm seeing this in the theater. It's not MY fantastic four, and that's the only FF I want to see. Also, unlike some others here, I think Kate Mara is one of the worst actresses of her generation and would pay a premium just to see a version without her.. Don't even recast, just cut her out.

I agree with all of this. Tim Story is a rap music video director (at best) and his films were pretty poorly done. That was FOX's fault. Also, Kate Mara great to look at? Really? She's middle-of-the-road as far as her attractiveness and that's when she's on House of Cards in her underwear in dim lighting... of course we all have opinions, so who cares what I think of her? I don't need my Sue Storm to be "hot" though, so she'll do fine in my book.

• Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    she's no Sue Storm/Richards
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I always find it a bit cringe-worthy when an actress is brought up in these kinds of threads, and her verisimilitude (to quote RIchard Donner) is reduced to her looks. Doesn't help our stereotype. We are better than that! :)

I really liked Chronicle. It was a better "comic book movie" than most actual comic book movies. If that means FF will put a different spin on the super-hero movie, I'm willing to give it a go. In comics, it worked for Hawkeye - giving us something we didn't know we wanted to read. And others. It's like my favorite restaurant: I really don't want to know what goes on in the kitchen, I just want a good piece of steak and will judge it when it's in front of me, not when the meat hasn't even been prepped yet.

Wow. That was a weird analogy. HAHA.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

I always find it a bit cringe-worthy when an actress is brought up in these kinds of threads, and her verisimilitude (to quote RIchard Donner) is reduced to her looks. Doesn't help our stereotype. We are better than that! :)

I really liked Chronicle. It was a better "comic book movie" than most actual comic book movies. If that means FF will put a different spin on the super-hero movie, I'm willing to give it a go. In comics, it worked for Hawkeye - giving us something we didn't know we wanted to read. And others. It's like my favorite restaurant: I really don't want to know what goes on in the kitchen, I just want a good piece of steak and will judge it when it's in front of me, not when the meat hasn't even been prepped yet.

Wow. That was a weird analogy. HAHA.

I don't think its really that much of a difference from women (including my wife) who'll see a movie because of Ryan Goslin or Channing Tatum. Hell, some women tune into the Kardadhian drivel because they're "so beautiful & so popular."

The Sex & the City series illustrates women think the same way.

M
  • Options

Fox already made 2 movies that were recognizably based on the source material and they were middling. I say it was because of extremely poor director choice and a complete lack of understanding the dynamics that make the FF work, but you can't blame them for being wary going back to that well a second time, they probably think they need to distance themselves from that era as much as possible.

I agree with all of this. Tim Story is a rap music video director (at best) and his films were pretty poorly done. That was FOX's fault. Also, Kate Mara great to look at? Really? She's middle-of-the-road as far as her attractiveness and that's when she's on House of Cards in her underwear in dim lighting... of course we all have opinions, so who cares what I think of her? I don't need my Sue Storm to be "hot" though, so she'll do fine in my book.

"Very good to look at", does that work better? She's not "cut off 5 fingers & a thumb" like Scarlett, but she's also not "kicked out of bed" like Maggie Gyllenhal or Katie Holmes (& the rapidly lowering Natalie Portman.)

If she's reenact ing the scenes I've seen from House of Cards, she's 'very good' to look at.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

"Very good to look at", does that work better? She's not "cut off 5 fingers & a thumb" like Scarlett, but she's also not "kicked out of bed" like Maggie Gyllenhal or Katie Holmes (& the rapidly lowering Natalie Portman.)

If she's reenact ing the scenes I've seen from House of Cards, she's 'very good' to look at.

M

Why not just bring back the "Fuck, Marry, Kill" thread while you're at it?

:-q
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Why not just bring back the "Fuck, Marry, Kill" thread while you're at it?

:-q
    Sure, ruin my "countdown to 10th Anniversary of CGS" contribution!

M