Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hmm. Stacey Dash calls herself black and the movie industry refers to her as a black actress... My mistake.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Hmm. Stacey Dash calls herself black and the movie industry refers to her as a black actress... My mistake.

I think I'm more concerned that Dash is knocking on the door of age 50. That seems way too old for Sue.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I think I'm more concerned that Dash is knocking on the door of age 50. That seems way too old for Sue.

M
    50 ain't so bad considering Sue Storm Richards should be about 72. :D
  • Options
    Good point @Matt. Was gonna say Zoë Saldana but it seemed cliche.
  • Options
    Stupid casting move aside, I'm a big fan of Michael B. Jordan. Loved him in "The Wire" and especially "Friday Night Lights."
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Matt said:

M
    And she hasn't had a film career since the '90s. We might as well cast Pauly Shore as Mr. Fantastic, Frankie Muniz as the Thing, and the guy from Kenan & Kel who didn't get to be on SNL as the Torch.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I have no clue who I would have chosen for the FF reboot anyways. Even putting thought into it, I can't come up with anybody other than selfishly wanting to see Chiklis return as Ben.

I'm holding judgement for the final prodcut. If it turns out to be shite, then I'll bash it. I happen to like the two previous FF movies. They're not great but I do still watch both. I do have worries that the FF's treatment under Fox has not been entirely beneficial to the property and that it could become tainted for cinematic purposes in the future, even if Marvel/Disney got the rights back.

• Options
    Greg said:

I have no clue who I would have chosen for the FF reboot anyways. Even putting thought into it, I can't come up with anybody other than selfishly wanting to see Chiklis return as Ben.

I concur, Chik as Ben was my favorite casting in that whole series. Knowing he once introduced himself to Stan Lee as "Ben Grimm" before the movie was even made makes the casting even cooler.

Truthfully, aside from the X-movies, since Iron Man, I've only really cared for the Marvel Studio Marvel movies.

M
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited February 2014
    Don't get angry about this FF "racebending" when none of y'all were offended by this real Avatar racebending!!!

• Options
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Don't get angry about this FF "racebending" when none of y'all were offended by this real Avatar racebending!!!

LOL!

Never watched Avatar the last Racebender movie (h/t @TheOriginalGMan).
    Heard grumbklings about that though.

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I think the internet has the exact same arguments everytime a movie's cast is revealed. Can't we all agree to stop judging it BEFORE it comes out? It's like every movie that has the actors announced it's the same cycle: people love it, people hate it, everyone sees it, then has other opinions. Why spend hours arguing about something that won't be out for 2 years, and more than likely change 100 times before then? I suggest everyone spend the energy on reading good comics and forget the negativity. I'm sure if you want to argue about people changing races you can find the old threads about Nick Fury becoming black in the Marvel movies and read tons of similar arguments.
  • Options
    Nick said:

Can't we all agree to stop judging it BEFORE it comes out?

Hasn't this forum dried up enough? What'll be left to talk about? :D
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Wild accusations and name calling...who resurrected the Newsarama forums?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Wild accusations and name calling...who resurrected the Newsarama forums?

LOL!

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Matt said:

M
    I missed why we're talking about Stacy Dash but she's also been playing 20 for nearly the last 30 years and has been doing a very fine job of it.

I don't care if she's in the movie I'm just glad I had a reason to go do an image search

• Options
    Krescan said:

Matt said:

M
    I missed why we're talking about Stacy Dash but she's also been playing 20 for nearly the last 30 years and has been doing a very fine job of it.

I don't care if she's in the movie I'm just glad I had a reason to go do an image search

I saw a recent photo...I'm not convinced she could still pull of a 20/30 year old.

M
  • Options
    Stacey Dash is a stunningly beautiful woman.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Krescan said:

Matt said:

M

Yup, discovered she posed nude...win!

• Options

I'm not saying she isn't. Julianne Moore is the cougar a single me would hunt for & she's older then Dash. Having said that, I wouldn't want her playing Firestar.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'm not saying she isn't. Julianne Moore is the cougar a single me would hunt for & she's older then Dash. Having said that, I wouldn't want her playing Firestar.

M
    Again, story idea:

Julianne Moore as a 50-ish, long-retired Firestar, forced to get in the game again when her family is threatened by a vengeful old foe. (Say Mysterio--lots of head games)
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    chrisw said:

For all the supposed controversy, Michael B. Jordan is the only cast member that works for me. I find Kate Mara even blander than Jessica Alba. Miles Teller - I don't know if I've seen him in anything aside from trailers or clips, but he doesn't strike me as terribly charismatic. Jamie Bell - Billy Elliott was great, haven't seen him do anything that good since, but haven't seen him do much bad, either. As The Thing, though? I don't even know what to make of that.

I'm basing things on my preconception of the FF, on what I've been reading since I was a 12 years old, and that's obviously not the direction they're going, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what they do. Would have been nice to get a good movie about the FF I grew up with, but I suppose the previous two mediocre films will have to do.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I look at the headshots of this cast and the only one who gives me a correct casting vibe is Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm. He just as a gleam in his eye or something and I could totally see him as Johnny.

As far as the whole race issue goes, I think it's a lot to do about nothing. Of course FF fans should have the right to say "Johnny is black? Huh? But Sue is white? What??" It's understandable that people might be a bit shaken by this. If they go very far in their protestations or whatever then yeah that's probably racist, but to just not like the idea of it seems understandable to me.

It's a minor deal, though, which doesn't entail huge storyline changes (nowhere near as much of a change as the plot of the movie itself will entail). So Sue and Johnny are only siblings through adoption? Or they're half-siblings? Or they have mixed parentage and Johnny just turned out darker? Whatever the reasoning is, it isn't a big deal. And it isn't something that would take "time to explain". It'd take literally one second. It isn't like what would happen if they made Steve Rogers Captain America black, for example, because that change would demand some kind of elaborate historical explanation that would fundamentally change the storyline of the movie ("So he fought in WWII and the American public way back then accepted him as a symbol, even though he was black? Sounds sketchy. I'd need to see a lot of scenes of traditional 1940s people having their minds changed and coming to accept a black man as a symbol of America.") And for the record I think Will Smith would have been a great Captain America. But if he were cast as Steve Rogers, that's a much dicier proposal that would change the movie into historical revisionism.
    Peter said:

LOL. Shroud - thank you for giving me a name to my cause. I guess I too practice miscegenation. I can't wait until we're all a lovely shade of Toffee. Like some strange Star Trek world where there is no variation. lol. Who will we shit on then? :P

Yeah, I've never really understood this push where we want everyone to be coffee-colored or tan. As an off-white person myself, I wouldn't want all people to look like me by the time August rolls around. Doesn't seem very diverse. I get that it's just a hypothetical dream, though.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M
    Again, story idea:

Julianne Moore as a 50-ish, long-retired Firestar, forced to get in the game again when her family is threatened by a vengeful old foe. (Say Mysterio--lots of head games)
    But...why must she be long retired?!

I get your point, but isn't this for a movie reboot? I would presume they'd do an origin of sorts, so I can see Sue as a 50 yr old when she's initially bombarded with cosmic rays or gene spliced (or whatever they go with.)

M
  • Options
    Nobody started a bugaboo about a Caucasian Johnny with a Hispanic sister last go round.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M
    Again, story idea:

But...why must she be long retired?!

I get your point, but isn't this for a movie reboot? I would presume they'd do an origin of sorts, so I can see Sue as a 50 yr old when she's initially bombarded with cosmic rays or gene spliced (or whatever they go with.)

M
    Screw origins.

Origins are a waste of valuable story time.

Especially with multiple characters.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Nobody started a bugaboo about a Caucasian Johnny with a Hispanic sister last go round.

M

Except John Byrne.
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

I was more bothered by their creepy romantic chemistry and the attempt to almost literally white wash her with the worst blonde wig and blue contacts I've ver seen in a relatively big budget movie.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Should've just have the gig to the broken lizard crew or better yet, Kevin smith 10 or 15 years ago.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I was more bothered by their creepy romantic chemistry and the attempt to almost literally white wash her with the worst blonde wig and blue contacts I've ver seen in a relatively big budget movie.
    The blonde wig was dumb. They tried to cover up her ethnicity.
    WetRats said:

Again, story idea:

Hmmm... You work in Hollywood, don't you?
  • Options

Hmmm... You work in Hollywood, don't you?

I wish.