Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr To Take Over Superman?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

First previews of the artwork here

Since I can't say anything nice, let me say that I really like John Romita Sr.'s work

I'm not the first to notice it, but in this continuity, according to that press sheet hanging on the Daily Planet wall, it appears Superman wore red shorts. Was that pre-nu52?

Who cares?

I saw somewhere (Bleeding Cool?) that that had been fixed before print.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

First previews of the artwork here

Since I can't say anything nice, let me say that I really like John Romita Sr.'s work

I'm not the first to notice it, but in this continuity, according to that press sheet hanging on the Daily Planet wall, it appears Superman wore red shorts. Was that pre-nu52?

Who cares?

I saw somewhere (Bleeding Cool?) that that had been fixed before print.
    BTW: I like this page.

Storytelling is nice.

There's a real spontaneity to the pencils without a ton of busy linework.

The Daily Planet looks busy, but antiquated and shabby.

The faces are not terribly Neanderthal-like.

But every promo piece of Superman I've seen looks like he just flew out of a cave.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    dubbat138 said:

Elsiebub said:

I've been morbidly curious about this run as well. From the promo images and previews that I've seen, it does NOT look like something I want to pick up... But I enjoyed it the last time Johns did a Superman ongoing series (Action Comics several years ago), and it's just SUCH a change for JRJR that it might light a fire under him.

I'd say I'm "waiting for the reviews" before checking it out, but if CBR is any indication, all of the professional reviews will be shilling away like nobody's business (the way CBR ALWAYS seems to do for every major Big Two project...), so I'll just wait on word of mouth.

I run hot and cold on JRJR's art. I think his stuff CAN be dynamic and a lot of fun. On the other hand, in recent years it's often looked rushed and inconsistent. I listened to a Sidebar interview with him a year or two ago in which he put forth a philosophy he has about almost never erasing and always going with whatever he first puts down on the page to lay a scene out. Yeah, it shows. He didn't used to be that prone to sloppiness, though.

dubbat138 said:

I for one have never seen the appeal of JRJR's art. I hated his first run on Uncanny x-men. His people have this blockly Lego man look to them that I don't like.

His FIRST Uncanny run? From the mid-'80s? His style wasn't so blocky back then. I loved his stuff in the '80s, pre- and post-blockiness. IMO it was only in the '90s that his style started to get overbearing at times. (Not that he hasn't done some post-2000 stuff that I haven't liked as well, but... radically inconsistent.)
    Wasn't his first run from a bit after Uncanny 200? If so that is the era I am talking about.

His first run is Uncanny 175 to 211. His developing art style can be measured by how Rogue's hair changes through that run :D
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Brack said:

dubbat138 said:

Elsiebub said:

I've been morbidly curious about this run as well. From the promo images and previews that I've seen, it does NOT look like something I want to pick up... But I enjoyed it the last time Johns did a Superman ongoing series (Action Comics several years ago), and it's just SUCH a change for JRJR that it might light a fire under him.

I'd say I'm "waiting for the reviews" before checking it out, but if CBR is any indication, all of the professional reviews will be shilling away like nobody's business (the way CBR ALWAYS seems to do for every major Big Two project...), so I'll just wait on word of mouth.

I run hot and cold on JRJR's art. I think his stuff CAN be dynamic and a lot of fun. On the other hand, in recent years it's often looked rushed and inconsistent. I listened to a Sidebar interview with him a year or two ago in which he put forth a philosophy he has about almost never erasing and always going with whatever he first puts down on the page to lay a scene out. Yeah, it shows. He didn't used to be that prone to sloppiness, though.

dubbat138 said:

I for one have never seen the appeal of JRJR's art. I hated his first run on Uncanny x-men. His people have this blockly Lego man look to them that I don't like.

His FIRST Uncanny run? From the mid-'80s? His style wasn't so blocky back then. I loved his stuff in the '80s, pre- and post-blockiness. IMO it was only in the '90s that his style started to get overbearing at times. (Not that he hasn't done some post-2000 stuff that I haven't liked as well, but... radically inconsistent.)
    Wasn't his first run from a bit after Uncanny 200? If so that is the era I am talking about.

His first run is Uncanny 175 to 211. His developing art style can be measured by how Rogue's hair changes through that run :D
    That is the era I was thinking of. The only time I liked JRJR's art was that Daredevil Man without Fear mini.

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Well I can say I actually BOUGHT and READ the issue. I'll preface my mostly spoiler free review saying I like Geoff Johns historically, and I normally am not a fan of JRJR.

Overall I would give the issue a Buyorrow.

Things I liked about the issue was it was pretty much a "first issue" type of story, they give a brief history of a character who appears to be a new ally of Superman, and also quickly show his supporting cast. It wasn't long and drawn out, but it was enough substance to give me the background. The art was decent, I thought the quieter panels didn't feel too blocky to me, the faces seemed more distinguishable than I remember form prior JRJR work.

Things I didn't like (not hated), not a lot of action, it was about 1/4 of the book was action, so like 4-5 pages. It's only one issue and Johns tried to give us a good blend of talking and action, for me I would've liked a little more face punching, but it wasn't boring. Maybe it came before but it seems like people know Clark is Superman (or maybe I misunderstood), but I thought that aspect was a little odd.

So I don't think it was terrible as some people made it out to be (without reading it), but it wasn't top of the pile material either. JRJR's art IMHO felt fine during the Superman pages, he reminds me of McGuiness in the way he draws Supes very large and barrell chested. Your mileage may vary, but I liked it well enough.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nick said:

Things I didn't like (not hated), not a lot of action, it was about 1/4 of the book was action, so like 4-5 pages. It's only one issue and Johns tried to give us a good blend of talking and action, for me I would've liked a little more face punching, but it wasn't boring.

Sounds great to me. I like a high character/plot to punching ratio.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I am kind of surprised by all of the John Romita Jr hate..I like his work. It has some European elements in his style, but his work to me screams Kirby, which was used to great effect on his recent captain America run, where they touched on the 70’s Kirby Cap stuff. His work is stylized, but as an energy that I enjoy.

I also like the fact that DC is allowing an artist on one of their Big Name books who doesn’t follow the style of Jim Lee. Since the reset button was hit, Superman has looked like a 18 year old instead of a grownup, which is very off-putting for me, and in the preview art, Clark Kent looks like a man who would have bought his own suit, not a skaterboi.

Geoff Johns is a writer who lately runs hot and cold with me. I have loved a lot of his work in the past, but his New 52 work has left me cold, so I ordered this one tentatively. Looking forward to reading it, since it sounds like it’s a fresh new start for Superman, which the character desperately needs.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2014
    I read #32 and enjoyed the story. It had a pretty clever beginning. Although, why the baby was in the lab to begin with makes no sense. The ending felt familiar as we've seen "other supermen" in a lot of Superman comics over the years. However I'm optimistic that Johns has some cool things for this arc up his sleeve.

The art...well, it's usual JRJR and that's all I'll say.
  • Options
    I just got done reading it and....it's the only New 52 book I'm going to be reading. There's a great opening sequence, a new villain/hero/tweener introduced, Superman actually DID stuff and I'm interested in what comes next. The last Superman story I read was Action Annual from this year, and after 24 pages of Superman, Superboy and Supergirl standing around being talked to, I tapped out.

JR Jr's art is dynamic, and gives the story a BIG feel.

And it was a lot better than the early 90's Image-style art that seems to be in vogue at DC these days.
  • Options

I think you hit that nail on the head, I like my Superman to feel bigger than the average book. That's why I like McGuinnes on Supes as well. Glad someone else liked it, I know it's en vogue to hate everything DC nowadays, but I didn't think this book was that bad. I'll try another few issues and see if it still grabs me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nick said:

I think you hit that nail on the head, I like my Superman to feel bigger than the average book. That's why I like McGuinnes on Supes as well. Glad someone else liked it, I know it's en vogue to hate everything DC nowadays, but I didn't think this book was that bad. I'll try another few issues and see if it still grabs me.
    It's "en vogue" because the line is so fundamentally lackluster that "it's not that bad" counts as a positive review.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Nick said:

I'm definitely not hating it because it's DC but because it's JRJR. I'm a longstanding DC fan and still read more from them than any other publisher.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I love Captain America, and tried to stick with his latest book, but the artwork was so off-putting (JRJR) I kept getting it until Pacheco took over, but stopped reading it much earlier.

It's actually a sad situation with DC, I wouldn't chalk it up as merely a trend.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Nick said:

It's "en vogue" because the line is so fundamentally lackluster that "it's not that bad" counts as a positive review.
    They should rename the line "OK Comics"
  • Options

I love Captain America, and tried to stick with his latest book, but the artwork was so off-putting (JRJR) I kept getting it until Pacheco took over, but stopped reading it much earlier.

It's actually a sad situation with DC, I wouldn't chalk it up as merely a trend.

Sales-wise, DC had to do SOMETHING. They were languishing, and nothing was catching on. IIRC, their across the line average was around 25,000 and now it’s in the mid 30s, which is a success no matter how you slice it. DC was going for a different audience, and while I am not a part of that audience, it has, for the most part, reversed their fortunes. They also don’t seem to be trapped in Marvel’s current “We need an event to jack up sales” strategy, which I don’t mind as long as the Big Stories are good.
    I feel like I’m at the other end of things, since I was the one who was talking to older fans in the late 80’s who didn’t buy DC books because they didn’t like how they had been “Marvelized” after Crisis. Are the DC books bad? I don’t honestly know, because they are told in a way I find unappealing, so I don’t read them. I will say no one has been on-line in either podcasts or reviews talking about any of the current series as a must read like they are doing with many new Image books, and some of Marvel’s line.
    With comics being $4 a pop, I really think readers expect a lot more from their comics. They want BIG, they want things that resonate and they want books that are worth the money.
  • Options
    I would say Green Arrow is a must read, Lemire is writing the one of, if not the best GA story, and the art is superb. New 52 has also brought about a great Aquaman book that has been great since issue one, and even a second book now (which through 3 issues isn't as good yet, but does feature The Others). Batman and (character) is some of the best Batman I've read for a long time, Batgirl also is another awesome book with lots of NEW characters. I do seem to vibe on books with new villains, since a lot of DC's characters are old and have fought their usual rogues gallery lots of times.
  • Options

Sales-wise, DC had to do SOMETHING. They were languishing, and nothing was catching on. IIRC, their across the line average was around 25,000 and now it’s in the mid 30s, which is a success no matter how you slice it. DC was going for a different audience, and while I am not a part of that audience, it has, for the most part, reversed their fortunes. They also don’t seem to be trapped in Marvel’s current “We need an event to jack up sales” strategy, which I don’t mind as long as the Big Stories are good.
    I feel like I’m at the other end of things, since I was the one who was talking to older fans in the late 80’s who didn’t buy DC books because they didn’t like how they had been “Marvelized” after Crisis. Are the DC books bad? I don’t honestly know, because they are told in a way I find unappealing, so I don’t read them. I will say no one has been on-line in either podcasts or reviews talking about any of the current series as a must read like they are doing with many new Image books, and some of Marvel’s line.
    With comics being $4 a pop, I really think readers expect a lot more from their comics. They want BIG, they want things that resonate and they want books that are worth the money.

You're right, but again, I am not a fan of JRjr's work, so the appeal is simply lost on me. If you must, compare me to those who don't get the appeal of EC comics or Jack Kirby, but I assure that I do not fall into either of those categories. JRjr's work just always looks half-assed and rushed. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where that isn't the case...

That is the "money quote". I'm getting more and more selective in my old age, and I can either fill up the tank this week or buy a bunch of funny books...
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Nick said:

I would say Green Arrow is a must read, Lemire is writing the one of, if not the best GA story, and the art is superb. New 52 has also brought about a great Aquaman book that has been great since issue one, and even a second book now (which through 3 issues isn't as good yet, but does feature The Others). Batman and (character) is some of the best Batman I've read for a long time, Batgirl also is another awesome book with lots of NEW characters. I do seem to vibe on books with new villains, since a lot of DC's characters are old and have fought their usual rogues gallery lots of times.

Lemire is leaving/got kicked off Green Arrow. :(
  • Options

Nick said:

Lemire is leaving/got kicked off Green Arrow. :(
    His exclusive is up, so I don't think it's him getting kicked off. Plus the guys from the Arrow TV show are taking over so I think it'll be a very similar feeling book. One thing about Lemire, he tells what he wants to tell and moves on, no hanging around just for a paycheck. 18 issues is a decent run, and I'm enjoying every issue. I'll still keep reading it!
  • Options
    I believe it, but you can't blame people for immediately thinking the worst with DC
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    No blaming. :) Just wanted to correct an assumption that I read a few posts above mine. Lemire's tweets were in response to Bleeding Cool stating he was "dropped" which was reactionary on Bleeding Cool's part, regardless of DC's recent track record. At some point, if people are still allowing themselves to be disappointed in a comic book publisher, that's more on them than the company. Fly away, butterfly! Haha. That's probably the buddhist in me. :)
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    RepoMan said:

No blaming. :) Just wanted to correct an assumption that I read a few posts above mine. Lemire's tweets were in response to Bleeding Cool stating he was "dropped" which was reactionary on Bleeding Cool's part, regardless of DC's recent track record. At some point, if people are still allowing themselves to be disappointed in a comic book publisher, that's more on them than the company. Fly away, butterfly! Haha. That's probably the buddhist in me. :)

And it's good to get the correct info out there. Thanks!
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    So out of curiosity, I went up to my LCS and grabbed a copy of Superman #32. I don't intend to start buying/collecting comics again, but wanted to read the issue.

I thought it was pretty nice. The Planet scenes seemed to scale….. if that makes sense, while the pages with Supes in action have a largeness to them that seems to fit the character. I am WAY out of the loop on Supes….. or any character for that matter. So I had no idea that Clark had not been working at the Planet. Regardless, this seemed like a good issue for a new reader to jump into the series.

My intent at the moment is ride along with Johns and Romita Jr. I'll save the issues and pass them on to someone else…. or take them back to my LCS and let them give them to someone.

I also grabbed the new ASM issues….. I might post a few comments once I weed my way through the five or six issues I grabbed yesterday.
  • Options
    What is everyone's impression of Johns' & JRjr's version of the man of steel? I haven't kept up since I've been off DC for a while and I've also never been a big fan of JRjr's artwork. However, next month's issue (#40) will not only be illustrated by Romita Jr, but he's also writing it?!

New powers, new costume, and all written by an artist who's never written a comic before (please correct me if I'm wrong); that's a serious amount of faith DC seems to have in the man. One step removed from carte blanche status with what could be argued is their flagship character. It's got me curious.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this development? Anyone been reading this title?
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I will probably read it in TPB. Saw this graphic today and it made me think... "What about super-cold breath?" I never saw that power in any comics that I read as a kid back in the 70's. Until the first Superman movie. I've seen it in the comics since then.

Super-Flare? Um. No.

• Options

What is everyone's impression of Johns' & JRjr's version of the man of steel? I haven't kept up since I've been off DC for a while and I've also never been a big fan of JRjr's artwork. However, next month's issue (#40) will not only be illustrated by Romita Jr, but he's also writing it?!

New powers, new costume, and all written by an artist who's never written a comic before (please correct me if I'm wrong); that's a serious amount of faith DC seems to have in the man. One step removed from carte blanche status with what could be argued is their flagship character. It's got me curious.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this development? Anyone been reading this title?

I've been reading and enjoying, despite not liking JRjr's art.

Murd talks about it on the most recent episode, the best of 2014 nominations.
  • Options
    My God!! They left Super-Ventriloquism off of the list!!
  • Options
    Super Bad Hair.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    kgforce said:

I will probably read it in TPB. Saw this graphic today and it made me think... "What about super-cold breath?" I never saw that power in any comics that I read as a kid back in the 70's. Until the first Superman movie. I've seen it in the comics since then.

Super-Flare? Um. No.

Haven't we been there before?