Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

Watching the teaser again, this image has me more excited then the clip. Maybe its because the clip I saw is a smuggled bootleg, but it looks very...video-game-y. The idea of what's happening is more interesting then the footage I actually saw.

M
    I don't like how they made Batman's eyes glow. When I read Batman and see his eyes, they are just white, not glowing white. I appreciated the nod Nolan did in the Dark Knight, but I also felt it was way out of place to see his eyes glowing. Took me out of the movie. If you're going to make them glow how about not making the lights so bright?

Eh, nitpicking... It's what we do.
    I think that's meant to be his more upscale "Superman fighting armour" than his standard suit. The cowl seems to be much more of a solid helmet too.
    I saw some fanboys upset his standard cowl doesn't have the white lenses; which if they were going to do, I'd add in post with CGI.

M
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

I do have to laugh about the color though. If they're going to give her knee-high high-heel boots, a lasso, a tiara, and call her Wonder Woman..then why not go all in and color the costume like @Fade2Black‌ did? It's like Yondu and his absent fin in GotG..you've already come this far..if people can suspend disbelief for this much they'll probably be OK without having to tweak the little things.

But then rather then comment negatively about JUST the colors, wouldn't it be the colors AND that she's wearing flats?!

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited July 2014
    Planeis said:

I just love all the people on the reddit machine saying she's not muscular enough and how she needs to put on 20-30 lbs of muscle.

... 20-30 lbs of muscle. They say that as if it could be done in a couple months. It would take YEARS. The much talked about Gina Carano doesn't have 20 lbs more muscle than Gal. I might not have 20 lbs more muscle than Gal and I'm much bigger than her. 20-30 lbs of muscle would make Gal a competitive body builder, which is what some seem to want (while also wanting her to maintain incredible cup size).

She may not need 20-30 of muscle, but for me she still looks too skinny to be Wonder Woman. She still looks like a model and not a warrior in that image. Gina Carano or Rhonda Rousey both probably outweigh that girl by 40 lbs that is a significant difference.

That being said I think people make too much of still images as they often do not convey what people will look like in motion.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

I do have to laugh about the color though. If they're going to give her knee-high high-heel boots, a lasso, a tiara, and call her Wonder Woman..then why not go all in and color the costume like @Fade2Black‌ did? It's like Yondu and his absent fin in GotG..you've already come this far..if people can suspend disbelief for this much they'll probably be OK without having to tweak the little things.

But then rather then comment negatively about JUST the colors, wouldn't it be the colors AND that she's wearing flats?!

M
    What?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

Though if they did, then she would suddenly be the brightest costumed character in the franchise they are building. Not only would that not fit the color palette of the films, it might make her look like the stereotype of the female character in the toy line, you know what I mean? (And HERE's the girl hero in all the bright, primary colors the guys don't have!) You don't want Wonder Woman to be the little girl in the red coat standing in the middle of the black & white movie*.

I can understand people preferring the brighter costumes, I don't really mind the darker ones myself. I like the way, in Man of Steel, that the image of a young Clark in the red cape really popped because there had not been that sort of color in the film. It made that moment feel like a memory (I forget who is flashing back on that moment in the film).

But I do think, now that these films have committed to the washed out color look, then they need the rest of the characters to stick to it, lest they stand out too much. If they are going to go with this look, then I think they should stay committed to it.

*I can never pass up an opportunity to compare Snyder's films to Schindler's List.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Frankly, I think they need to move away from that washed out look. It works for Batman, it didn't work for Superman, and it's not going to work for the Justice League in general. If anything, it just feels like, by staying with it, they're just compounding the problem. Best to step away from that particular art direction as quickly and as smartly as possible.

I actually like the Wonder Woman outfit in general; it's just that horrid, washed-out monotone that sets my teeth on edge.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @David_D I understand. It could just be the way the image is lit or my small phone screen but Superman's costume seems to have more color than this one does. I think the average person looking at this would assume it's a character from the Hercules movie or the next Attack of the Titans. Which is unfortunate for a character that doesn't have the benefit of an eared cowl or giant emblem on their chest to easily identify them. The color scheme had been one of the easiest ways to identify WW.

Again, though, I actually like the costume quite a bit and the color discussion is just me nit picking.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

M
    What?
    Right now, the biggest complaint seems to be the suit isn't bright enough. If Diana was wearing flats, there'd be 2 big complaints; the color & that she's not wearing high heels.

M
  • Options

Frankly, I think they need to move away from that washed out look. It works for Batman, it didn't work for Superman, and it's not going to work for the Justice League in general. If anything, it just feels like, by staying with it, they're just compounding the problem. Best to step away from that particular art direction as quickly and as smartly as possible.

I actually like the Wonder Woman outfit in general; it's just that horrid, washed-out monotone that sets my teeth on edge.

Kent's suit is a little brighter in Dawn of Justice then it was in MoS. I expect the same will happen with Diana's in Justice League.

Too early to tell what will & won't work in Justice League. I do like how it appears DC will being using more of the "the physics of DC heroes" (as Pete prefers over "realism") with its universe.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    spid said:

Planeis said:

I just love all the people on the reddit machine saying she's not muscular enough and how she needs to put on 20-30 lbs of muscle.

... 20-30 lbs of muscle. They say that as if it could be done in a couple months. It would take YEARS. The much talked about Gina Carano doesn't have 20 lbs more muscle than Gal. I might not have 20 lbs more muscle than Gal and I'm much bigger than her. 20-30 lbs of muscle would make Gal a competitive body builder, which is what some seem to want (while also wanting her to maintain incredible cup size).

She may not need 20-30 of muscle, but for me she still looks too skinny to be Wonder Woman. She still looks like a model and not a warrior in that image. Gina Carano or Rhonda Rousey both probably outweigh that girl by 40 lbs that is a significant difference.

That being said I think people make too much of still images as they often do not convey what people will look like in motion.

For some context

And the much talked about Gina Carano

Gina probably is 20-30 lbs heavier. She's also a professional athelete. and even with that, she doesn't exactly have the bulging muscles many seem to want WW to have.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

M
    What?
    Right now, the biggest complaint seems to be the suit isn't bright enough. If Diana was wearing flats, there'd be 2 big complaints; the color & that she's not wearing high heels.

M
    Perez took her high heels away long ago. Since then she usually(I think) is drawn without them. But, no, her heels aren't an iconic part of her costume like the color is.

• Options
    Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

Gina probably is 20-30 lbs heavier. She's also a professional athelete. and even with that, she doesn't exactly have the bulging muscles many seem to want WW to have.
    Diana is also superpowered. Parker had pipe cleaner arms when he first became Spidey & he could bench press a Buick.

M
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the costume.

M
    What?

M
    Perez took her high heels away long ago. Since then she usually(I think) is drawn without them. But, no, her heels aren't an iconic part of her costume like the color is.

Did a little google image searching. the high heels seem to come and go a lot. Personally I don't care either way, but I don't think its anything to get upset about. She's not wearing dress shoes, they are boots with a heel. Black Widow wears them too...

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I'd bet the WW costume is not the final version that she will be wearing when they do the official JLA movie. This may be her Paradise Island garb. And they better cast Lynda Carter as Hippolyta.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

For the record I would not cast Linda Carter as Wonder Woman now. If we are just basing this off looks then for me the current person doesn't fit the part. Unless this model brings something great to role acting wise it seems like a miscast. Of course she could be great who knows.

And yes Wonder Woman is super powered, but she is from a race of super powerful women so looking rail thin doesn't make since in that context.

You picked one of the skinnier pics of Gina most of images I've seen she looks bigger than that.
  • Options
    spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

For the record I would not cast Linda Carter as Wonder Woman now. If we are just basing this off looks then for me the current person doesn't fit the part. Unless this model brings something great to role acting wise it seems like a miscast. Of course she could be great who knows.

And yes Wonder Woman is super powered, but she is from a race of super powerful women so looking rail thin doesn't make since in that context.

You picked one of the skinnier pics of Gina most of images I've seen she looks bigger than that.
    That's her fighting weight. She walks around 10-20 pounds heavier as most fighters do. But they lose a lot going into a fight.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    So far batman is looking simply awesome. Man if steel still looks like he looks. WW looks all but exactly how I (and i assume most of us) expected. Not bad. Could've been much worse. I'm gonna assume some degree of color will be visible in the actual movie. The only flat out complaint is the headband thing. Would've liked to see more armor and less leather but still cool enough. I'm more concerned with the actress than the outfit. The effect and her performance will have to be exceptional in order to convince me this woman is "tough". Super powered or not.
  • Options
    Loving the teaser trailer (thanks @Planeis‌) and LOVED it. Nice juxtaposition between Supes' red eyes and Batman's white ones...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    JaxUr said:

I'd bet the WW costume is not the final version that she will be wearing when they do the official JLA movie. This may be her Paradise Island garb. And they better cast Lynda Carter as Hippolyta.

I thought that, too. It could be that the image we are seeing is what she is wearing coming from her culture. It is not her costume, it is the armor she fights in. But once she spends more time around Batman and Superman and decides that the warriors of their culture have logos and symbols and (a little) more color and such, then she may decide to wear a costume like they do.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

I concur. If she was Batwoman, I'd hope for a little more bulk, but she's superpowered. She could have rail thin arms and still lift a dump truck with one arm!

M

For some reason, I think her face looks like Kim Kardashian's. In fact, I thought it was her until I noticed the build (specifically the trunk area) was a lot smaller.
    Her trunk? I think you meant her ass.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2014
    rebis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

I concur. If she was Batwoman, I'd hope for a little more bulk, but she's superpowered. She could have rail thin arms and still lift a dump truck with one arm!

M

For some reason, I think her face looks like Kim Kardashian's. In fact, I thought it was her until I noticed the build (specifically the trunk area) was a lot smaller.
    Can we compromise?

B-)
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M

"Junk in the trunk." I was referencing the ass.

M
  • Options
    spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

"Rail thin" or tone? I've seen runners with tone bodies, I don't see it the same as being like Olive Oil.

M
  • Options

Matt said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

"Rail thin" or tone? I've seen runners with tone bodies, I don't see it the same as being like Olive Oil.

M
    It is a distinction that does not matter to me because I would never think of either adjective to describe Wonder Woman.
  • Options
    spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

M
    It is a distinction that does not matter to me because I would never think of either adjective to describe Wonder Woman.
    Fair enough; but in the context of "she's superpowered, so she can have toned arms and still lift a dump truck" it does make sense. Doing a google image search produces more "tone" Wonder Woman images then "ripped" images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wonder+woman&client=firefox-a&hs=Hh5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FjbWU6vMH8-oyASJ84G4Bg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=573#imgdii=_

M.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M

"Junk in the trunk." I was referencing the ass.

M
    Now I see what you did.
  • Options
    Matt said:

spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

M
    Fair enough; but in the context of "she's superpowered, so she can have toned arms and still lift a dump truck" it does make sense. Doing a google image search produces more "tone" Wonder Woman images then "ripped" images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wonder+woman&client=firefox-a&hs=Hh5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FjbWU6vMH8-oyASJ84G4Bg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=573#imgdii=_

M.
    You know who would fit your catch all of "she's superpowered" so she can be thin, Supergirl. She is just a girl who woke up as a teenager on a planet, and she got super powers. She isn't a warrior from a culture who praises warrior women. She didn't train all her life to be a fighter. For Wonder Woman your idea doesn't add up.

It is like casting Lou Ferrigno to be the Hulk now. Sure it had to be done in the 70s to fit into a television show budget, but no modern comics fan would want a painted up muscle guy to play the Hulk now. They want what is shown in the comics to appear on the screen.

Again I will say this doesn't mean this woman can not be great in the role it just seems off from a look perspective now.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

M

M.
    You know who would fit your catch all of "she's superpowered" so she can be thin, Supergirl. She is just a girl who woke up as a teenager on a planet, and she got super powers. She isn't a warrior from a culture who praises warrior women. She didn't train all her life to be a fighter. For Wonder Woman your idea doesn't add up.

It is like casting Lou Ferrigno to be the Hulk now. Sure it had to be done in the 70s to fit into a television show budget, but no modern comics fan would want a painted up muscle guy to play the Hulk now. They want what is shown in the comics to appear on the screen.

Again I will say this doesn't mean this woman can not be great in the role it just seems off from a look perspective now.

I'm still going to have to disagree here. Googling female Olympic swimmers, runners, gymnasts, & a search for female boxers & a search for Amazonian woman show more women tone then built like an American Gladiator.

Raised as a warrior princess, with superhuman strength, doesn't mean she's got to be muscle bound to me.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Matt said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

spid said:

Planeis said:

For some context

M

M.

I'm still going to have to disagree here. Googling female Olympic swimmers, runners, gymnasts, & a search for female boxers & a search for Amazonian woman show more women tone then built like an American Gladiator.

Raised as a warrior princess, with superhuman strength, doesn't mean she's got to be muscle bound to me.

M
    We will have to agree to disagree. Look up women who compete in heptathlons they would not be labeled what I would described as "toned" or rail thin. They are solid women who do not have to be muscle bound. Diana had to compete in various trials to win the right to be Wonder Woman that are similar to the heptathlon.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I don't get the hang up so many people are having over Gal's size and muscular definition. We talked about this on our podcast yesterday and even when I pointed out Gina Carano, Kacy Catanzaro my firends still couldn't get over it. I also brought up my personal trainer, there isn't a huge size and defition difference between all of those ladies. My trainer competes in jujitsu and MMA, she's a tiny little thing and she's competed against men and has won. She's as close to a real life Wonder Woman as there could be.

I want the movie to be good and hope Gal has the acting chops to pull the character off. Those are my concerns, not how tall, muscle toned or how endowed she is or isn't in the chest.