Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Thor (vol 1) #127
    Published: April 10, 1966
    Cover Artist: Jack Kirby

"The Hammer and the Holocaust!" takes place following Thor's battle with Hercules. The defeated Thor returns to Asgard to find all the rest of the Asgardians defeated by Seidring, who is in full possession of the Odinpower. After several pages of strange battle including Seidring hurling meteors at Thor, and trapping him in a bubble of liquid Wolfsbane, Stan Lee comes up with a fairly innovative way for a half-depowered Thor to best a villain with the full power of Odin...

Or maybe Jack Kirby comes up with a fairly innovative way for a half-depowered Thor to do so. Lee’s plots were pretty sketchy by this point. He very well could have left that part up to Kirby.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm betting you're right :)
  • Options
    Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    From December 1968
    cover art: Jim Steranko (possibly aping Salvador Dalí)

• Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    edited July 2014
    Love that Nick Fury cover. I'm sure Jim was definitely aping Dali, as Dali was massive news in '68.
    Here's my contribution. All I know the cover dates from November 1939.

• Options

Love that Nick Fury cover. I'm sure Jim was definitely aping Dali, as Dali was massive news in '68.
    Here's my contribution. All I know the cover dates from November 1939.

Technically, this is the cover to a pulp fiction magazine, not a comic. Uncanny Tales was published under Martin Goodman’s larger magazine division (in this case Manvis Publications, Inc.), which was upstairs from the Timely offices. This particular issue is vol. 3, #2 of the title, published in 1939. I'm pretty sure the artist is Norm Saunders.

Goodman’s recently renamed Atlas Comics would later publish a comic by the same title beginning in 1952.
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Kelley Jones (born 6/23/62)! Everyone knows Jones for his work on Batman and Deadman, but he started out as an inker for Marvel. His first gig as a regular penciler was on Micronauts—the final issue of the original series and most of the relaunch series Micronauts: The New Voyages. I bought the first three issues and thought they were pretty good, but I rarely saw it on the spinner rack after that. Here’s his first professional cover (pencils and inks), Micronauts: The New Voyages #3 (Dec. 1984).

• Options
    Komic_BrewKomic_Brew Posts: 15
    great thread! I have only 140 more pages to see :)
  • Options
    Alex Schomburg’s cover to Miss Fury #1 (Winter 1953-53). The Timely series reprinted Tarpé Mills’ Sunday newspaper strips, but they did their own covers, which really had nothing to do with the stories inside. Why post Miss Fury? You'll know soon enough.

• Options
    40 years ago today, President Richard M. Nixon released the White House tape recordings to the special prosecutor in charge of the Watergate investigation. Four days later, Nixon resigned. So here’s a little Murphy Anderson cover (pencils and inks) for From Beyond the Unknown #17 (June-July 1972).

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

40 years ago today, President Richard M. Nixon released the White House tape recordings to the special prosecutor in charge of the Watergate investigation. Four days later, Nixon resigned. So here’s a little Murphy Anderson cover (pencils and inks) for From Beyond the Unknown #17 (June-July 1972).

Awesome on so many levels.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited August 2014
    Just in time for the movie

photo Astro_zps7629f4c6.jpg

photo guardians-of-the-galaxy-comic-527x800_zps3cb58c1e.jpg
  • Options
    And here we have Star-Lord's first appearance and origin from 1975:

...written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Steve Gan; inks by Bernie Wrightson and Bob McLeod. Cover by Gray Morrow.

Note that the issue also features The Sword In The Star, a short-lived science-fantasy adventure series that continues a few issues later...

No, never mind Satana! (Cover by Bob Larkin) The Sword In The Star returns as a back-up feature, and in this chapter we are treated (by Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen) to the very first appearance of Rocket Raccoon!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited August 2014
    At a small convention yesterday and thanks to the power @WetRats‌ I couldn't leave this one in back issues. "Where verbs the noun!"
  • Options
    Caliban said:

At a small convention yesterday and thanks to the power @WetRats‌ I couldn't leave this one in back issues. "Where verbs the noun!"

:D
  • Options
    In honor of Lucille Ball’s birthday, here’s Four Color #535 (Feb. 1954). I don't know who did the background art, but it’s interesting.

• Options
    Happy birthday to Eddie Campbell! Here's his cover to From Hell #1 (Mar. 1991), probably my favorite of Alan Moore’s many gems.

• Options
    Not a comic book per se, but in honor of the late, great Robin Williams, here’s Mort Drucker’s cover for Mad #225 (Sept. 1981).

• Options
    Weird Mysteries #4 (Gilmore Publishing)
    April 1953
    Cover art by Bernard Baily

One of the most iconic horror covers of the 1950s by the great Bernard Baily (1916 - 1996), an artist best known as co-creator of the DC Comics characters Hourman and Spectre.

FWIW: there is no inside story in this comic that goes along with the drooling-man-ant-leaving-knife-in-skull.
  • Options
    Beware (v1) #11
    Sept 1954
    Trojan Magazine
    Cover art by Myron Fass
    Pre-Code Horror Comic Mag
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    "Someone add more dialogue to this cover! The rubes out in Kansas need things spelled out!"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    RickM said:

"Someone add more dialogue to this cover! The rubes out in Kansas need things spelled out!"

LOL! You'd think all that was needed was the comic artist's word balloon...
  • Options

April 1953

One of the most iconic horror covers of the 1950s by the great Bernard Baily (1916 - 1996), an artist best known as co-creator of the DC Comics characters Hourman and Spectre.

FWIW: there is no inside story in this comic that goes along with the drooling-man-ant-leaving-knife-in-skull.

I remember Bailey primarily for having drawn a lot of those one-page community service pages that appeared in DC Comics during the 60's, usually on the inside covers. And that he did a lot of stories in House Of Mystery and House Of Secrets during the 50's and 60's. I only saw him do one superhero story in all that time (apart from reprints of those early Hourman and Spectre stories) and that was a Brave & Bold team-up of the Flash and the Martian Manunter -- which was quite good and became a personal favorite of mine. It's a shame they didn't draft him for more of those.
  • Options

April 1953

God help us!

It's a drooling, elf-eared BLACK man-ant!

If he's a commie, too, he's all the 1950s fears rolled into one.
  • Options

Beware (v1) #11
    Sept 1954
    Trojan Magazine
    Cover art by Myron Fass
    Pre-Code Horror Comic Mag

And for those who don't remember this from a couple of years back, Fass drew himself as the artist on this cover.
  • Options
    Personally, I think Baily was better suited for drawing horror stories than superheroes. He drew ugly faces much better than he drew pretty faces. Here’s one of his best covers, Weird Tales of the Future #7 (May 1953).

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    INJ Culbard on a recent 2000AD
  • Options
    Yesterday at my LCS I saw this book on the wall. It’s one of the most unintentionally hilarious books I’ve ever looked through, and I just had to share. Without further ado, I give you Hansi: The Girl Who Loved the Swastika (1976) with artwork (cover and interiors) by Al Hartley.

If the name Al Hartley sounds familiar, he was a regular at Atlas during the ’50s, primarily on the Pasty Walker series. He wasn't comfortable with doing superhero work, so when Marvel shifted that direction he moved on to do a ton of work for Archie Comics.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Spire Christian Comics were always available at religious bookstores in the 1970s. Most of them seemed to have been drawn by Hartley. I can remember a comic about Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys; a comic version of the religious book (and later movie) The Cross and the Switchblade; a comic book about a Vietnam War POW; and several titles where the Archie characters were involved in religious-themed adventures (I could never understand that, from a theological or a publishing rights perspective).

Because the titles weren't dated, but instead were meant to be perpetually for sale (like books), I'm sure there are a lot of Spire comics in attics or church basements. I remember when my mother took us to our local Christian bookstore, I always made a beeline to the Spire spinner rack.
  • Options
    Hartley became a born-again Christian in ’67, which is when he began working for Archie. He would sometimes add in religious aspects to those stories (to the point where editorial asked him to dial it back), which is what spurred the publisher of Spire to call him about doing the adaptation of The Cross and the Switchblade. He then went on to write and draw nearly every book Spire published. His prior connection to Archie helped Spire acquire the license to use the Archie characters—presumably to help Spire “relate” to teenagers.