Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    sandman said:

Worst thing about this movie is that it has left me weaker to resist those Time-Life Sounds of the 70's and Soft Rock cd infomercials.

Best thing about this movie is that my investment in those Time-Life Sounds of the 70's and Soft Rock CDs is finally paying off!
    I know that you guys are joking, but I wonder if the movie soundtrack, or any individual songs will have a jump in sales on iTunes or what not from people be introduced to, or having their memories once again jogged by, these songs because of the movie.
    I think it will. It reminds me of how the Sopranos finale got "Don't Stop Believing" on the radio again (in formats outside classic rock). And I'll bet it spiked on iTunes as well.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I would argue that the Kree and Xandar are just the backdrop. The Xander aren't the rebellion, we don't need to invest in them or the Kree long term. This movie needed us to invest in Tge Guardians as hard-luck loners who found themself coming together as a team and saving the day. We saw them save that one big city (and by extension, planet) full of people. To me, that was stakes enough. We saw that John C. Reilly's character got to go home to a family that was still alive.

I don't think this movie was about putting Thanos over, or having us get to know the Marvel alien races so that we are invested in their war. I think the latter is backdrop- a context for the roguish heroes to shine: there needed to be other people in charge so that they were the people not in charge that saved the day anyway. It didn't really matter that much which side they saved,or what their relationship to Thanos was, because really they were saving them from Ronan.

And this movie didn't need to spend a lot of time explaining Thanos as that continues to be a slow burn. He wasn't the baddie in this, Ronan was. But, just as we saw at the end of Avengers, Thanos is superior to the Chitari (sp?) baddies of Avengers. He is shown as superior to Ronan, the baddie of this one. All the baddies defer to and seem to be afraid of him. Plus, these movies keep building up the idea of the Infinity Gems.

This way, later when it is time for Thanos- perhaps armed with gems or the whole gauntlet- to actually be the villain of the movie, we will know how big a deal that is. Because we have kept seeing him in these other movies, and he has actually not made his own move yet (which also means he is actually still undefeated).

I get that there could be other ways to build it up, but for me, the way they are doing it, and the restraint they are showing, works. I don't think the casual audience needs to know a lot about him to know that he is clearly a big deal. And they are building towards him.

I also think the running time for Guardians, especially given the lighter, action comedy tone is succeeded in carrying, was just right. I don't think it needed another half hour. Especially if that is spent on just building out the universe. Instead, they stayed focused on the characters and left the audience wanting more.

I can agree with you about Thanos, but I don't agree with the whole Kree and Xandar being a backdrop. In one sense, they were a backdrop because not much was given to them, but in a larger sense, they were the entire movie. The movie had to do with them and their war, a rogue element, the destruction of a planet, and so on.

Now if the movie had been about these five misfits going to find Peter's father or saving a city from an overlord or something far smaller then yes, the war wouldn't have mattered. But everything revolved around it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hellsfire said:

I can agree with you about Thanos, but I don't agree with the whole Kree and Xandar being a backdrop. In one sense, they were a backdrop because not much was given to them, but in a larger sense, they were the entire movie. The movie had to do with them and their war, a rogue element, the destruction of a planet, and so on.

Now if the movie had been about these five misfits going to find Peter's father or saving a city from an overlord or something far smaller then yes, the war wouldn't have mattered. But everything revolved around it.

Nah.

Does the War Between the States have to be shown in every Western involving veterans? Of course not!

There was a war. Some people haven't gotten over it. Especially THIS guy. Done.

Guardians of the Galaxy was about the Guardians of the Galaxy, not some war that existed only to provide motivation for the villain.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    Guardians of the Galaxy box office has now passed $200M worldwide:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=105563
    Guardians of the Galaxy has now hit $219.3 million worldwide after less than a week of release, reports Superhero Hype. After breaking August records with a $94.3 million debut in North America, the James Gunn helmed movie has has the highest non-holiday Monday ($11.7 million), Tuesday ($11.9 million) and Wednesday ($8.8 million) of 2014. That gives it a current domestic total of $126.8 million, and the $92.5 million from 42 overseas territories gives it that $219.3 million total. Amazing numbers as we're sure you'll agree!
  • Options
    Some more interesting box office data from the original source link above:
    Following its record-setting $94.3 million domestic debut on Aug. 1, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy has posted some of the strongest weekday numbers of 2014, including the #1 non-holiday Monday ($11.7 million) and the #1 Tuesday ($11.9 million) and Wednesday ($8.8 million), for a total domestic gross of $126.8M. It has set industry records for the biggest August Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as well. This was the 10th Marvel Studios release and its 10th consecutive #1 domestic opening. The film’s $92.5 million international tally from 42 territories contributes to a global gross of $219.3 million through August 6.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    Beta Ray Bill part of The Collector's collection? (Me: Eh, not seeing it)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NovaThoughts/news/?a=105531

Speculation is running rampant in regards to the many easter eggs in Guiardians of the Galaxy and no doubt people are dedicating their second, third or indeed fourth viewings to finding everything they possibly can lurking in the film's background. Well, the below image points out two easter eggs! One being Howard the Duck looking very much like he did in his eighties movie. The other being a figure in a red cape that may be Korbinite cyborg, Beta Ray Bill.
  • Options

Beta Ray Bill part of The Collector's collection? (Me: Eh, not seeing it)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NovaThoughts/news/?a=105531

Speculation is running rampant in regards to the many easter eggs in Guiardians of the Galaxy and no doubt people are dedicating their second, third or indeed fourth viewings to finding everything they possibly can lurking in the film's background. Well, the below image points out two easter eggs! One being Howard the Duck looking very much like he did in his eighties movie. The other being a figure in a red cape that may be Korbinite cyborg, Beta Ray Bill.
    I read somewhere that the horse head skull Starlord was playing with as he walked into the temple at the beginning of the movie was supposed to be a reference to Beta Ray Bill, or at least his race.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I read somewhere that the horse head skull Starlord was playing with as he walked into the temple at the beginning of the movie was supposed to be a reference to Beta Ray Bill, or at least his race.

That is a nice theory, except old horse face doesn't look like the rest of his race. Bill looks the way does due to his "upgrades", the rest of his race are basically noseless, smooth faced humanoids, not a long face in the batch.

...not that they couldn't change that for the movies.

• Options
    I think it was more of a throwaway Easter egg
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    There is an actual Marvel race that looks like horses. Though I doubt they went that deep with the eggs.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    JUST SAW IT AGAIN!!!!!!!! in 2D...

holds up decently well... especially the beginning all the way to the prison break.... and the 3rd act i thought was actually pretty good...

the chase in the miner pods made the least sense.. and y quill couldnt pull gamora into his pod makes no sense.. i know they say it only fits 1... but rocket is like half of one...

and y cant they just drag her body with the miner hands and pull her back into the floating head?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

There is an actual Marvel race that looks like horses. Though I doubt they went that deep with the eggs.

You correct Sir!
    "Whitey", from Power Pack's origin, was from the horse-faced Kymellian alien race.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    POWER PACK MOVIE PLEASE!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    bamfbamf said:

And a side order of Alien Legion while you're at it!

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

I. . . would not hold my breath on that one.
    (Sorry)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2014
    Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

You correct Sir!
    "Whitey", from Power Pack's origin, was from the horse-faced Kymellian alien race.
    Yup, and there are Inhuman Kymellians now..Black Bolt is/was married to one.
    David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

(Sorry)
    I would have said that about GotG a few years ago. Plus, if Big Hero 6 does well I could see Disney doing something with Power Pack.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

Worst thing about this movie is that it has left me weaker to resist those Time-Life Sounds of the 70's and Soft Rock cd infomercials.

Best thing about this movie is that my investment in those Time-Life Sounds of the 70's and Soft Rock CDs is finally paying off!
    =D>
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

(Sorry)
    I would have said that about GotG a few years ago. Plus, if Big Hero 6 does well I could see Disney doing something with Power Pack.

I agree, Mr. Cosmic. I hope David D isn't saying that because he thinks that Power Pack is bad. There's some good stuff to work with in those comics. I think Power Pack would work very well for an all ages movie, and I would love to see it. I see it more as an animated movie, but it could work as live action as well.

And if Marvel wants to make movies outside of Avengers characters, they have to dig a little deeper, just like they did with Guardians. With Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four at other companies, Marvel does't have any other "big names" to work with.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sandman said:

And if Marvel wants to make movies outside of Avengers characters, they have to dig a little deeper, just like they did with Guardians. With Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four at other companies, Marvel does't have any other "big names" to work with.

Absolutely!
    Power Pack would have made more sense than Big Hero 6 to me.
    At one point Marvel (or someone that licensed the property for TV) thought that Power Pack had the chops to work as live action. They dumped some cash into a pilot back in '91 (although you can see why it was never picked up... ugh).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME8xvz2iHKQ

2 years ago Runaways or Power Pack would have felt just as likely as Guardians of the Galaxy to make it to the big screen.

You thought Rocket was box office gold with the girls?
    Just imagine Katie Power.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

bamfbamf said:

And a side order of Alien Legion while you're at it!

I'm first in line for both!
  • Options
    Hex said:

You thought Rocket was box office gold with the girls?
    Just imagine Katie Power.

Animated Power Pack could be so cool. Kids are given suits that give them powers. Alien battles. Spaceships. You could make some good movies with these siblings.
  • Options
    Animated Power Pack could be fun.

Live action Power Pack would be... a lot of child acting.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Just saw it. Liked it. Didn't love it. Too much potty humor. Too much cursing. Too many deaths via disintegration or impaled through the chest. Villain uninteresting in the exact same way the villain from Thor 2 was. Amazingly short shirft given to his whole motivation.

More later.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Can ABC please do a procedural within the Nova Corps?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Bottom Line: 3.5 stars out of 5. Funny, colorful. Love the main group of characters and actors, even though I normally don't like some of them. Poor villain. Too much violence. Too much courseness.

Like: Really liked how colorful the movie is and pretty much everything about the way it looked. Liked the music. Thought the movie was pretty funny. Liked Chris Pratt, loved Rocket and Groot. Liked Zoe and Bautista. Liked Karen Gillan as Nebula.

Rocket and Groot steal the show. They are by far the best thing about the movie. Liked Nebula too, if only Ronan had been as interesting as her.

Did Not Like: Really did not like Ronan. Boring in almost the exact same way that the villain from Thor 2 was boring. An oddly colored, ugly villain with an incredibly boring personality and a very unclear motivation.

Didn't care for Rookery as Yondu. The first couple times I saw him it was fine, but I tired quickly of the pirates.

Really did not like how little was told about the villain, the Kree, Nova, and his motivation. I am very unfamiliar with cosmic Marvel. I know next to nothing. I know the Kree are aliens. I know Thanos is powerful. That's.... about it. I only know who the Guardians are because I read a couple issues. Not saying they should have spent 45 minutes on the villain, but 5 more minutes would have gone a long way.

Was Ronan supposed to be ravaging the universe? What is Gamora meant to have done? Everyone in PRISON wanted her dead. Is she meant to have done anything horrible, or is she just associated with Ronan? What has Ronan done? What's he so pissed about.

I asked my wife a few hours after the movie "what did you think of the villain?" her response was "I really don't know what he was doing I have no idea what he is or what he wanted, other than destruction." I said "yea he's kinda like the villain from Thor 2, right?" She said "I have no memory of the villain from Thor 2."

That's... bad. Is it the end of the world? No. the movie was still enjoyable.

The other thing that bothered me was the level of violence and the humor. I would conservatively say there were 30 people who were stabbed violently through the chest with various objects and violently murdered. Didn't like seeing yet another huge spaceship slam into a heavily populated city.

I really liked the scene with Groot protecting everyone, but I think they did that largely to distract everyone from the massive spaceship slamming into the city below. Too much for me for a movie thats supposed to be fun. Didn't really like that the violence was kinda gruesome and also played for laughs at the same time.

As for the humor, would have been fine without the dick jokes and shit this and shit that.

My Review
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Didn't like seeing yet another huge spaceship slam into a heavily populated city.

An explicitly evacuated city.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

As for the humor, would have been fine without the dick jokes and shit this and shit that.

Dude.

Dicks are funny.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Dude.

Dicks are funny.
    Yes, and nudity is awesome too. Doesn't mean it belongs everywhere.

People getting impaled through the chest is awesome too, but that doesn't mean I want to see it two dozen times in a fun movie.

I liked the movie, just think there were some things about the violence/humor i could have lived without.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Planeis said:

Bottom Line: 3.5 stars out of 5.

I agree with everything in this review.

• Options
    I'm still processing but my FAVORITE thing, BAR NONE, is the inclusion of the Celestials. That opens up SOOOOO much that I got giddy when we saw the head in the trailer. Then even MORE giddy when they explained the head in the movie. Then I nearly lost my SHIT when I saw the Celestial in the image the Collector showed the Guardians.

Just had to get that out there.