Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2014
    Kirby and Mike Royer from the bargain bins 1973
  • Options
    Artist Conor Boyle after Jack Vettriano
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

cover by Ron Wilson and Frank Giacoia (no clue who either of these guys are)

Ron Wilson did a number of things for Marvel during the 70’s through the 80’s, but he was best known for having been the main artist on the Marvel Two-In-One books for a big percentage of its run. Frank Giacoa – where to start? He was one of the mainstay inkers on a lot of DC and Marvel books throughout the silver age, working on a lot of talented pencillers, from Carmine Infantino (a boyhood friend) to Jack Kirby.
  • Options
    The thing about Giacoia is that he would sometimes get behind in his work and bring in someone else to do the inking, either backgrounds or sometimes full jobs, for him—guys like Mike Esposito and Joe Giella. And they usually weren’t as good as Giacoia, so you can usually tell when he didn't do it himself.
  • Options
    Kirby and Royer 1971
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant to post this on Friday but was out all day...
    William West Anderson (born September 19, 1928), better known by his stage name Adam West, is an American actor. After six decades in television, he is perhaps best known for the title role in the 1960s ABC series Batman.
    He was born on the same day as me! Not the same year though.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Savage Tales #1 (Volume 2) B&W magazine from Marvel 1985
    Cover artist: Michael Golden

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Another motorcycle cover, this one is from Jack Kirby*

Jimmy Olsen #133, October 1970
    Cover artists: Jack Kirby, Vince Colletta

* When Jack Kirby first left Marvel to work for DC Comics in the early 70s, his first work was on Jimmy Olsen, where Superman was obviously a regular cast member. IN spite of all the hype about Kirby coming to DC, the Distinguished Competition infamously re-drew all of Jack’s Superman faces using house artists like Al Plastino or Murphy Anderson.

For example:

imageimage

Kirby historian Mark Evanier reports that Jack was royally pissed about the fact that someone at DC insisted that his drawings of Superman had to be retouched using an artist who wasn't working regularly on the Superman titles at the time (Plastino, who hadn't drawn Supes since the '40s), but like a good employee, he stuck it out for as long as he could.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    A decade later, they let Frank Miller depart from house style and draw fat old Batman and it sold a zillion copies.
  • Options
    1983 Alan Davis and the Fury
    "Some people never learn"
  • Options
    From July of 1979
    Thor #285
    "Deviants and Doormen!"
    Cover Artists: Keith Pollard, Bob Layton, Gaspar Saladino

• Options
    I only had a handful of Thor comics as a kid, but that was one of them. Karkas looked too cool to pass up!

Here’s Jim Aparo’s first of many covers for The Brave and the Bold, issue #105 (Jan.-Feb. 1973).

• Options
    Always loved Aparo's Batman work. He could draw the Bats forever and I would've been just fine with that.

One of my earliest Batman comics was this one from October 1977

Batman #292 (Volume 1)

The second in a 4 issue arc where some of Batman's greatest villains are on trial for being responsible for Batman’s death. The Riddler was featured in this issue and his tale of trickery involving clue-containing riddles was a treacherous one, but Harvey Dent sees right through the façade. Finally collecting all 4 of these issues later was a hoot. I also have the story in the tpb "The Many Deaths of Batman"

• Options

Kirby historian Mark Evanier reports that Jack was royally pissed about the fact that someone at DC insisted that his drawings of Superman had to be retouched using an artist who wasn't working regularly on the Superman titles at the time (Plastino, who hadn't drawn Supes since the '40s), but like a good employee, he stuck it out for as long as he could.

Actually, Plastino had been drawing Superman right up into the mid- to late-60’s, along with Curt Swan and Wayne Boring.

That’s one of my favorite Kirby covers from that period – it’s so iconic.
  • Options
    I'm in the extreme minority of folks who never much cared for Kirby's artwork, so I retroactively wholeheartedly approve DC's move. :-)
  • Options

Actually, Plastino had been drawing Superman right up into the mid- to late-60’s, along with Curt Swan and Wayne Boring.

That’s one of my favorite Kirby covers from that period – it’s so iconic.
    That should have read "had been drawing Supes since the '40's", sorry for the mistype.

I'm in the extreme minority of folks who never much cared for Kirby's artwork, so I retroactively wholeheartedly approve DC's move. :-)

NOT.AMUSED.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2014

NOT.AMUSED.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the guy's characters, designs, etc ... just not the actual drawing of them. In particular, their faces are all terrible. I don't know if their eyes are too far apart or what. Look at Superman's face up above for instance. And to boot, it's like the face of pretty much every character he's ever drawn from Orion to Steve Rogers. I also hated the way he drew definition/shading. He used these kinda wavy lines that always looked metallic and silly to me.

All that having been said, his place with Stan Lee as the Lennon & McCartney / Ruth & Gehrig of the comics world is absolutely acknowledged. Their 4 or 5 year run of new characters in the early 60s is the stuff of legend.

• Options
    Everyone gets to have an opinion. I like a lot of variety in artists. Love Kirby, but if all the art was in his style, I'd read one or two books a month.
  • Options
    Here’s one you don’t see every day, Weird Mystery Tales #4 (Jan.-Feb. 1973).

• Options
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,742
    edited September 2014

Mike Kaluta?

Nope, still going through Jim Aparo’s body of work. You can see his “JA” sig in the bottom right corner.

But it wasn’t his usual inking approach. A lot more cross-hatching than he usually used.
  • Options
    Born this day in 1936 - James Maury "Jim" Henson (September 24, 1936 – May 16, 1990). Happy Birthday Jim - so sad that you're no longer with us. The Muppets will live on forever!

• Options
    John Romita JR cover

• Options
    since he was on Agents of Shield last night...

cover by Ed Hannigan, Frank Giacoia, Danny Crespi

cover by Kirby
  • Options

Mike Kaluta?

Nope, still going through Jim Aparo’s body of work. You can see his “JA” sig in the bottom right corner.

But it wasn’t his usual inking approach. A lot more cross-hatching than he usually used.
    It looked like another Aparo cover, but when I checked the database I thought it said Kaluta. I was confused?
  • Options

Born this day in 1936 - James Maury "Jim" Henson (September 24, 1936 – May 16, 1990). Happy Birthday Jim - so sad that you're no longer with us. The Muppets will live on forever!

Pencils and inks (he wrote it, too) by Roger Langridge, who truly captured the spirit of the show.
  • Options
    Up to this point, Aparo had been doing Phantom Stranger and Brave and the Bold, both bi-monthlies. He was taken off of Phantom Stranger to start up a new “Spectre” feature in Adventure Comics. Here’s his first cover for the series, Adventure Comics #431 (Jan.-Feb. 1974).

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Up to this point, Aparo had been doing Phantom Stranger and Brave and the Bold, both bi-monthlies. He was taken off of Phantom Stranger to start up a new “Spectre” feature in Adventure Comics. Here’s his first cover for the series, Adventure Comics #431 (Jan.-Feb. 1974).

This issue made my 12-year-old brain explode.

Ex.

Plode.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

This issue made my 12-year-old brain explode.

Ex.

Plode.
    These were just a bit before my time, and my babysitter’s kids (whose comics—half of them anyway—I inherited) didn't have anything remotely approaching horror. I picked the whole run up in 1990, 1991, while I was working at the comic shop.