Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Warner Bros Announces DC Films through 2020

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea what they're thinking with the Flash. Totally left field casting and with the TV show in its fourth or fifth season (should it last that long), what ground is going to be left untread for the Scarlet Speedster? I can only imagine that it is going to be some kind of event-type film that focuses on the Flash (like Flashpoint, but not necessarily that). Just super weird. Don't know what they're thinking over there. I wish I could say I have faith, but I just don't yet. Hopefully, BvS will change all that.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I forget-- do we already know that Flash is part of the Justice League movies? If so, then they will have time to build up the cinematic DCU version of the character before the solo film.

I suppose it is like casting a separate actor for Superman Returns even though Smallville was on the air at the same time.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    David_D said:

I forget-- do we already know that Flash is part of the Justice League movies? If so, then they will have time to build up the cinematic DCU version of the character before the solo film.

I suppose it is like casting a separate actor for Superman Returns even though Smallville was on the air at the same time.

Ezra Miller, a 22-year-old gay actor best known for his role in "Perks of Being a Wallflower," has been cast as The Flash in the upcoming "Justice League" film project, based on DC Comics characters and plot lines. The Warner Bros. picture is scheduled to be released in 2018.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

Ezra Miller, a 22-year-old gay actor best known for his role in "Perks of Being a Wallflower," has been cast as The Flash in the upcoming "Justice League" film project, based on DC Comics characters and plot lines. The Warner Bros. picture is scheduled to be released in 2018.
    Thanks.

Also, to digress for a moment, and I know you were quoting so this is not your phrasing, but who the hell in 2014 describes someone as "a 22 gay actor". I think 22 year old actor is sufficient. He's an actor. I am as interested in his sexuality as I am in whether or not he has a drivers license. And both are equally irrelevant to the job he is doing in these movies.
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

Thanks.

Also, to digress for a moment, and I know you were quoting so this is not your phrasing, but who the hell in 2014 describes someone as "a 22 gay actor". I think 22 year old actor is sufficient. He's an actor. I am as interested in his sexuality as I am in whether or not he has a drivers license. And both are equally irrelevant to the job he is doing in these movies.
    Suddenly there's an issue with being happy to act?!

M

Wow, it took me about three passes to get that joke.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited October 2014
    David_D said:
    I am as interested in his sexuality as I am in whether or not he has a drivers license. And both are equally irrelevant to the job he is doing in these movies.
    Actually, both of these details will affect his performance. Don't you remember that issue of The Flash where Barry took Wally to get his driver's license after which the two were attacked by The Pied Piper which acted as a catalyst for Wally's first exploration of his own sexuality? Ezra Miller's unique perspective as a homosexual who is legally certified to operate a motor vehicle will sincerely improve his performance in this role.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Well obviously the movies will be Earth-2 Gay Flash and eventually we'll have the crossover with television's Earth-1 Straight Flash. :)

What's wrong with you people that you can't see that? :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

For instance, I have felt at times, as if I were the only person supporting Agents of SHIELD.

You were. :)

Not so! I’ve also supported SHIELD (and I shall not yield!). And I’m pretty much in general agreement with WetRats (and should probably add, in full disclosure, that I’m even older than he is!). Yeah, I’m thrilled to see so many comic properties being given serious attention and being brought to the silver screens, but I’m also wary, given how many times these things get rushed, miss the essence of the actual strip or characters, or wind up in the hands of absolute hacks. I’d be more enthused about Suicide Squad, for instance, if I knew it was going to be the version written by John Ostrander a couple of decades ago rather than the less-than-appealing version produced by DC today, just to give a ‘for instance’… and I’d be far more excited about some of the films if Zack Snyder were completely divorced from them, given what he did with Man Of Steel. (Folks here already know how I feel about that film.)

I am for conversation, discussion and lively debate but not constant whining, heavy vitriol, or outright griping. Do you agree, @WetRats?

I’ll disagree... since the ‘whining, heavy vitriol or outright griping’ is usually a matter of point of view. Where you see ‘whining’ or ‘griping’, I see someone’s opinion or expression of deep feeling on a topic. If we have to omit differences of opinions and put a clamp on whatever feelings of concern or outrage we may have, then it is no longer a conversation but a rubber-stamp committee.
  • Options
    I found this on reddit, and then I did this.
  • Options
    could have seen that coming..

anyways.

looking forward to the seeing these movies. The only problem I have is that I wanna see them now, not later.. Patience is not easy!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited October 2014
    I'm most intrigued by Suicide Squad since it's what I know least about. Well Cyborg too, but that seems so far away
  • Options
    I think I'll be the most critical (and possibly the most forgiving) of the Shazam! movie. There are so many ways they could take it - both right and wrong - that it's just going to have to be a "reserve judgement until you see it" movie. Butt will be in chair opening day for it, though.

Cyborg is the one I'm the least enthused about. Even though I'm a huge Wolfie/Perez Titans fan, I was never all that big on the character. Yeah, he's a cyborg. Never seen that before. I think if they can play up the angle W/P did where he meets someone like Sarah Lawrence who runs a school for kids with prosthetics...might be a fun human angle for it to take.

Suicide Squad - if I get Nightshade on the big screen, I'll be happy. :)
  • Options
    I actually think Shazam could be the breakaway sleeper hit of these. I have ZERO basis for that assumption. And I don't even know a whole heckuvalot about the character.

Just call it a gut feeling.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited October 2014
    I really hope that the Shazam movie is fun and silly like the old Captain Marvel stories. What I would love to see is an old-style animated Tawky Tawny interacting with a live action cast a la Pete's Dragon. I'm not even kidding.
  • Options
    I'm a huge Captain Marvel nut, so I'll be seeing it no matter what they do, but I honestly believe this could be the greatest challenge any filmmaker will ever face in their career...make this movie work! :)
  • Options

I really hope that the Shazam movie is fun and silly like the old Captain Marvel stories. What I would love to see is an old-style animated Tawky Tawny interacting with a live action cast a la Pete's Dragon. I'm not even kidding.

I would LOVE if Shazam had a vibe like a Pixar film or as early Spielberg film. How hard would it be…get someone who wants to direct a super-hero version of “Big” or “13 Going On 30” without the Rom-Com tropes and it would be a HUGE hit.

Oddly, I don’t see Zach Snyder and Christopher Nolan able to do something like that.
  • Options
    News from Bleeding Cool on Wonder Woman movies... yes, plural. Set in 1920s, 1940s, then modern.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

News from Bleeding Cool on Wonder Woman movies... yes, plural. Set in 1920s, 1940s, then modern.

huh. didn't see that coming. that could be all right.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    /rant alert

I think the potential problem with these upcoming DC films will be the scripting as long as Zac Snyder remains at the helm. In Man of Steel, it seemed (to me) that the movie had no further aspirations than providing Snyder with a delivery system for his signature visuals. It was a loop of emotionally distant, largely incoherent, mostly boring scenes. That’s it. Excessive exposition and much more CGI than needed in every scene. In the end we wound up with simply a desaturated, grimy, shaky-cam, FX heavy Superman movie. Each scene seemed held together only by money and a loud Hanz Zimmer score. It became mind-numbing to me after a while.

Unlike Donner's Superman, or even the Superman Animated series, there was no sense of excitement or danger, and certainly no sense of joy, awe, or humor. Donner's version was an uplifting a cultural event, but Snyder created a mess of a crass spectacle. While Donner’s Superman was inspirational, Snyder’s was just a flying brawler. In the end, death scene finale or not, by the time we arrived, I was too bored to care and ready to stop. I haven't returned to it since, and that's my barometer as to whether or not the movie worked for me, "do I want to see it again?", and with Snyder's Man of Steel, I do not.

Will his Batman V Superman prove to be different? I honestly am not convinced. After reading Goyer's recent comments on women and Wonder Woman in particular, and knowing he wrote the BvS screenplay (and the Constantine) I expect it to be overdone and underwhelming, but who knows? Maybe I'm just cynical.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

/rant alert

I think the potential problem with these upcoming DC films will be the scripting as long as Zac Snyder remains at the helm. In Man of Steel, it seemed (to me) that the movie had no further aspirations than providing Snyder with a delivery system for his signature visuals. It was a loop of emotionally distant, largely incoherent, mostly boring scenes. That’s it. Excessive exposition and much more CGI than needed in every scene. In the end we wound up with simply a desaturated, grimy, shaky-cam, FX heavy Superman movie. Each scene seemed held together only by money and a loud Hanz Zimmer score. It became mind-numbing to me after a while.

Unlike Donner's Superman, or even the Superman Animated series, there was no sense of excitement or danger, and certainly no sense of joy, awe, or humor. Donner's version was an uplifting a cultural event, but Snyder created a mess of a crass spectacle. While Donner’s Superman was inspirational, Snyder’s was just a flying brawler. In the end, death scene finale or not, by the time we arrived, I was too bored to care and ready to stop. I haven't returned to it since, and that's my barometer as to whether or not the movie worked for me, "do I want to see it again?", and with Snyder's Man of Steel, I do not.

Will his Batman V Superman prove to be different? I honestly am not convinced. After reading Goyer's recent comments on women and Wonder Woman in particular, and knowing he wrote the BvS screenplay (and the Constantine) I expect it to be overdone and underwhelming, but who knows? Maybe I'm just cynical.

Chris Terrio is reworking Goyer's script.

And old wounds opened, I was inspired by Man of Steel's Kent...until the 3rd act.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I had heard that, and Argo was exceptional, but he does have a thin resume. Again, I'm being cynical here. Just not very hopeful I suppose.

@Matt, remind me again why it's "Kent" for you and not "Kal"?

• Options

Matt said:

I had heard that, and Argo was exceptional, but he does have a thin resume. Again, I'm being cynical here. Just not very hopeful I suppose.

@Matt, remind me again why it's "Kent" for you and not "Kal"?

Is this a set up? I just got asked this exact same question on another forum yesterday. Even down to the "Kal" suggestion. Luckily, I can cut & paste.

... As to Kent, you are correct Kal-El is his Kryptonian birth name. It reminds me of my older (half) sister. She told our father he's the only father she's ever really known. It's why she calls him dad rather then her actual father.

Same with Kal-El/Kent. The Kents have really only been the life, name, & parents he's really known.

Plus, its kind of a reminder I don't really see him as being that super.

M
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So Superman is the alter-ego of Clark Kent (Kent for short). No, this isn't a "set-up".

That also goes for Spider-Man can be called "Parker", the Hulk, "Banner", and so on?
  • Options

So Superman is the alter-ego of Clark Kent (Kent for short). No, this isn't a "set-up".

That also goes for Spider-Man can be called "Parker", the Hulk, "Banner", and so on?

Sure, if you want. Batman is the only one I stick with as the identity name.

M
  • Options
    Even though his family, butler, and business associates all knew/know him, call him, and he grew up as Bruce?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Even though his family, butler, and business associates all knew/know him, call him, and he grew up as Bruce?

Batman spends so much time as Batman that it's how he sees himself. It's why he rarely (at least during the runs I read) pulls back his cowl while in the BatCave, doesn't spend much time as Bruce, & doesn't really look for anything outside of being Gotham's protector.

Not to mention...

http://youtu.be/u1l_IWtQnPo

M
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Anyone else have a problem with the decision DC has announced in regards to the Flash movie? I've voiced my displeasure with the way DC handles the Flash many times over the years, most recently the unnecessary race-bend for Wally West. And while some people have complained that they've cast an openly gay actor to portray the Flash on the silver screen, my problem with it is this: why not cast the guy who's on the tv show to be the Flash in the movie? I don't see how this makes sense at all. Why keep the established tv universe and the cinema universe separate at all?

Star Trek, Firefly, Twin Peaks, and the X-Files are all perfect examples of how a tv universe character/actor is perfectly suited to play the same character on the big screen. Marvel certainly uses the same characters between the movies and shows like SHIELD or Agent Carter, but I suppose DC assumes that their TV show won't be in the public's mind by 2018. The TV show is fantastic and being very well received, so maybe they will change their minds? Or maybe this movie Flash isn't Barry Allen or Wally West or Jay Garrick...? Doesn't seem that DC has much faith in the longevity of their TV properties. I really don't know what their doing anymore.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Anyone else have a problem with the decision DC has announced in regards to the Flash movie? I've voiced my displeasure with the way DC handles the Flash many times over the years, most recently the unnecessary race-bend for Wally West. And while some people have complained that they've cast an openly gay actor to portray the Flash on the silver screen, my problem with it is this: why not cast the guy who's on the tv show to be the Flash in the movie? I don't see how this makes sense at all. Why keep the established tv universe and the cinema universe separate at all?

Star Trek, Firefly, Twin Peaks, and the X-Files are all perfect examples of how a tv universe character/actor is perfectly suited to play the same character on the big screen. Marvel certainly uses the same characters between the movies and shows like SHIELD or Agent Carter, but I suppose DC assumes that their TV show won't be in the public's mind by 2018. The TV show is fantastic and being very well received, so maybe they will change their minds? Or maybe this movie Flash isn't Barry Allen or Wally West or Jay Garrick...? Doesn't seem that DC has much faith in the longevity of their TV properties. I really don't know what their doing anymore.

I think it is actually the opposite-- they are expecting/hoping that the Flash TV show will succeed, and therefore scheduling the lead actor of a TV show to also be in a franchise of interconnected movies that will be shooting at the same time becomes a headache to avoid.

Also, in all those TV to movie examples you gave, the TV show was already finished, and in most of those examples key creatives from TV were part of making the movie continuations.

In this case, as the projects (unless Flash gets cancelled soon) are developed and produced simultaneously, the creatives will be different. And they might have very different designs and ideas, and the world of Justice League might be a very different one than existing Flash TV show. And the movies might not want 'the other guys Flash', and those building the TV show might not want to lose control of the character they've been building to however he might get portrayed as a supporting character in the Justice League.

I think they want the DC cinematic universe to be its own thing and not tie into the TV shows. And, while I totally think the public can hold multiple interpretations of the same character in their imagination at once, I don't think they could do it with the same actor. He would become the same Flash from the TV show, only now in the movies. The audience couldn't be expected to parse the difference.

And I doubt they want to have to coordinate their creative that way, sharing both the ideas around the character, as well as the actors schedule.