Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Warner Bros Announces DC Films through 2020

Comments

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited November 2014
    From /Film... possibly Jared Leto as the Joker in the Suicide Squad movie.

I like that casting.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Sigh, can't the Joker get a break for a while?

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I have been wondering how they might be able to get the general public excited about a SS movie when most of the regulars are unknown characters. It never even occurred to me they could put the Joker in it (likely as the one that ends up being the antagonist-- the monster they thought they could control). If this rumor ends up being true, then it is a smart hook to include him. If you're going to make a movie about DCU "supervillains" then why not include the most famous one?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

From /Film... possibly Jared Leto as the Joker in the Suicide Squad movie.

I like that casting.

I heard Joel Schumaker is producing...

j/k
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    David_D said:

I have been wondering how they might be able to get the general public excited about a SS movie when most of the regulars are unknown characters. It never even occurred to me they could put the Joker in it (likely as the one that ends up being the antagonist-- the monster they thought they could control). If this rumor ends up being true, then it is a smart hook to include him. If you're going to make a movie about DCU "supervillains" then why not include the most famous one?

Because it's time to tap into the untold marketability of the KGBeast! :D
  • Options
    Brack said:

David_D said:

Although I doubt it'll happen, nor want it to happen, but IF there's a solo Affleck Batman film, I'd like to see Ten Nights of the Beast used.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Throwing Joker into the mix is further lessening my interest in this movie.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Brack said:

David_D said:

Imagine all the cute little KGBeasts out trick or treating...
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited November 2014
    Margot Robie will reportedly play Harley Quinn in the Suicide Squad movie. She's best known as Leonardo DiCaprio's wife in"Wolf of Wall Street" and she will be seen as Jane opposite Alexander Skarsgard's Tarzan in 2016.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/11/10/why-margot-robbie-as-harley-quinn-isnt-a-stretch/
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    When are we going to see more of the Vertigo books coming to the screen? I have consistently heard rumors of Sandman and Preacher, but nothing seems to pan out.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Sigh, can't the Joker get a break for a while?

M

Probably not :p

I suppose it's only been six years since a big-screen Joker last appeared.

Sometimes, it doesn't feel like such a long time, thanks to stuff like the Arkham games and the animated movies. (Red Hood and Assault on Arkham)
  • Options
    shaneb said:

When are we going to see more of the Vertigo books coming to the screen? I have consistently heard rumors of Sandman and Preacher, but nothing seems to pan out.

It's true, there isn't any official words coming out about them, but they are talked about by the filmmakers/actors behind them. See the far right of my version of a timeline for superhero movies. They are Sandman and Justice League Dark.
  • Options
    And I just came across this at Wikipedia as far as what has been done in the past few years.
  • Options
    Who would want to follow Heath Ledger in the role of the Joker? Those are some big shoes to fill.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    AxelBrass said:

Who would want to follow Heath Ledger in the role of the Joker? Those are some big shoes to fill.

I seem to recall a previous similar quote that went "Who would want to follow Jack Nicholson in the role of the Joker? Those are some big shoes to fill."
  • Options
    hauberk said:

AxelBrass said:

I seem to recall a previous similar quote that went "Who would want to follow Jack Nicholson in the role of the Joker? Those are some big shoes to fill."
    And before that it was, “Who would want to follow Cesar Romero? That’s a big moustache to fill.”
  • Options
    As lauded as that performance was, and rightfully so, I for one hope Heath Ledger's Joker isn't the last silver screen version of the "Clown Prince of Crime"
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think it's fun that the role of Joker is every bit as important to fans as the role of Batman.

Just as we each have "our" Batman (West, Keaton, Bales, Kilmer, Clooney* and I'm sure Affleck will garner a few) the Joker also has his fans depending on the actor (Romero, Nicholson, Ledger, etc.). For me it's Bales and Romero. I know he was going for the gag and campiness but it's precisely because he was doing it that made Romero's Joker scary as heck. Ledger was perhaps the most real version, but Romero's made me pray he *wasn't* real. Even with the surfer trunks on. :)

* Yes, I know. Clooney was horrible as Batman. He does, however, get points from me for his portrayal of Bruce Wayne. I think he was arguably the best person for that role (in an otherwise horrible movie).
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Torchsong said:

I think it's fun that the role of Joker is every bit as important to fans as the role of Batman.

Just as we each have "our" Batman (West, Keaton, Bales, Kilmer, Clooney, Conroy* and I'm sure Affleck will garner a few) the Joker also has his fans depending on the actor (Romero, Nicholson, Ledger, etc.). For me it's Bales and Romero. I know he was going for the gag and campiness but it's precisely because he was doing it that made Romero's Joker scary as heck. Ledger was perhaps the most real version, but Romero's made me pray he *wasn't* real. Even with the surfer trunks on. :)

There we go, that's better :P
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The best part about Conroy is when the first Arkham game came out, I was playing the demo with my wife sitting there and the first time Batman spoke she said "Oh good, they used Batman's real voice."

At which point I looked at her and said "Yes, thank God they were able to get BATMAN to take time away from protecting Gotham to come in and do some voice over work!"

:)

Plus if we take Conroy, we probably need to put Hamill in the Joker mix.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Torchsong said:

The best part about Conroy is when the first Arkham game came out, I was playing the demo with my wife sitting there and the first time Batman spoke she said "Oh good, they used Batman's real voice."

At which point I looked at her and said "Yes, thank God they were able to get BATMAN to take time away from protecting Gotham to come in and do some voice over work!"

:)

Plus if we take Conroy, we probably need to put Hamill in the Joker mix.

We need an "All of the Above" button
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Tom Hardy and Will Smith's names have been circling for awhile, but now it's been reported that it's likely Hardy will be Rick Flagg and Will Smith is probably Digger Harkness, aka Captain Boomerang.

More at: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=110988
  • Options

David_D said:

And personally, as much as the filmmakers should cherry pick what they can from movies or TV, I don't see the value of them limiting themselves to the past choices of other storytellers.

Great points David. Now answer me as to the central point of my rant. Why make this casting announcement at this time without a script or director at the same time the television show is just debuting? How do you see that as a wise move?
    I'm glad someone in the comics medium agrees with me. I was beginning to wonder if I was totally alone in my dislike of DC's timing on that Flash film casting announcement...
    Stephen Amell
    "I thought that the way that Warner Bros. announced the slate of DC superhero movies could have been handled better. And I think someone like Grant Gustin, who has just launched an iconic character like the Flash to record-breaking numbers...should have been given a wider berth than two episodes before another actor was announced to play his character."
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Yay! You're validated!

Oh wait. He also said:

"But the important thing to remember is just because Grant Gustin plays the part of Barry Allen doesn’t mean Ezra Miller can’t also play Barry Allen. There can be different interpretations of the character. Anyone who is a fan of the comics knows the Flash character is one of the forces that leads to parallel universes.

"And who knows, they might find a fantastic actor to play Oliver Queen on the feature side who has a different take on the character. I’m certainly a departure from the typical Oliver Queen from the comic books. I just think that everybody needs to be patient with the whole thing. The fact that DC and Warner have announced all these comic book features is nothing but good for business."

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    RepoMan said:

Yay! You're validated!

Oh wait. He also said:

"But the important thing to remember is just because Grant Gustin plays the part of Barry Allen doesn’t mean Ezra Miller can’t also play Barry Allen. There can be different interpretations of the character. Anyone who is a fan of the comics knows the Flash character is one of the forces that leads to parallel universes.

"And who knows, they might find a fantastic actor to play Oliver Queen on the feature side who has a different take on the character. I’m certainly a departure from the typical Oliver Queen from the comic books. I just think that everybody needs to be patient with the whole thing. The fact that DC and Warner have announced all these comic book features is nothing but good for business."

Isn't it amazing what soundbiting for self-validation can do when you avoid all of the pesky parts of the quote that take things somewhere else?
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

Yay! You're validated!

Oh wait. He also said:

But that completely cripples the notion that the movie announcement hurts the TV series. Well that & the fact the ratings didn't suffer either. Also, the general public hasnt even been talking about Miller's interpretation more then Gustin's interpretation!

Again, DC/WB lost nothing by making the announcement.

M
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Did I need to quote the entire article? I selected the full comment regarding my point. He thought it could have been handled better, the timing was odd. Maybe his later, more "diplomatic" comments prevented the hand that feeds him from getting upset, but I also included a link so everone could read the whole thing like I did, and now 3 people came in and further defended DC's timing (or that there was no harm, no foul) and say I'm still being nitpicky or silly to have initially felt DC made a poor decision announcing it so early in the new series even though no script or director exists for the movie...?

Wow. Look at the "DC apologists" rise up :)

Again, DC/WB lost nothing by making the announcement.

M
    I guess time will tell.

• Options
    Apologists...or just not willing to make another Mr. Fantastic reach for a conclusion?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcD8MEDA4A&feature=player_detailpage

M
  • Options
    Apologists works fine.