Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2014

So you think that regardless of what happens with the Avengers 2 movie, the books will remain mutants whose father is Magneto. I'm just curious.

I don't think so.

@jaydee74‌ Eh, I get that but, for instance, there's a scene where he's having a meeting with Nick Fury, and Fury keeps calling him "Cap." It just seems so stupid. When he was Falcon, he'd call him "Sam." And all the Avengers just automatically start deferring to him? What, putting the uniform on automatically makes you a master strategist / field commander? *sigh*

No. Anyone putting on that uniform doesn't get you that.

But being someone who has been active as long as Wilson has, and being the one chosen by Rogers to be Cap, gives you that respect. And, at least in the current 8 months later storyline in Avengers (which is where I first saw Wilson as Captain America), he has been active, and it seems, leading Avengers teams for some time by then. So it is not a stretch to imagine he is doing a good job of it.

I get that "Cap" (versus "Captain") feels like a nickname. And it jumps out a bit for characters to already be so familiar with Wilson as Captain America that they are already calling him "Cap". But respecting Wilson as a tactician and leader? Heck, if he were even still Falcon he would have already earned that respect. In the comics, Falcon was a SHIELD agent (and he might have even led SHIELD at some point?) since the late 1970s. I'm not sure which Nick Fury is in the scene you are describing-- if you are talking about Fury Sr., then that is a scene between longtime peers, if you are talking about a scene with Fury Jr., then that is actually a scene between a younger man and his elder.

And being chosen by Rogers for the mantle means something. So I'm with you that it might be soon for him to be "Cap" instead of "Captain" (or, if it is a casual scene, "Sam"). But there is nothing automatic or fast about them looking to Sam Wilson to lead. I think the character has earned that.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
  • Options
    It's younger Fury. And not just him, it seems *everyone* is calling him "Cap." And I'm not diminishing his ability as a leader, but in a room with Iron Man, Thor, and the Wasp for instance (all former Avengers Chairmen), it strains credulity a bit to think they'd automatically look to him to take the lead. It certainly did not seem to be the case when he was simply "The Falcon."

And it's cool that for whatever plot line they're pursuing with this whole thing, they need to portray him as the team leader. IMO it's not logical for that to happen. By hey, I get it. It's a comic book. If characters ever behave logically in these things, it's only by fluke. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2014

It's younger Fury. And not just him, it seems *everyone* is calling him "Cap." And I'm not diminishing his ability as a leader, but in a room with Iron Man, Thor, and the Wasp for instance (all former Avengers Chairmen), it strains credulity a bit to think they'd automatically look to him to take the lead. It certainly did not seem to be the case when he was simply "The Falcon."

And it's cool that for whatever plot line they're pursuing with this whole thing, they need to portray him as the team leader. IMO it's not logical for that to happen. By hey, I get it. It's a comic book. If characters ever behave logically in these things, it's only by fluke. :-)

I will agree that the familiarity of him as Captain America to be "Cap" seems a little soon. But for him to lead a team (as he is, at least, leading Mighty Avengers) or be seen as a peer to Stark or Thor? That doesn't strain credulity for me at all. He's been a hero in the Marvel Universe from the first decade of the comics. And his behavior and record as a hero, and a SHIELD member, is actually cleaner and more reliable than many of the other Avengers. Heck, given their relative histories when it comes to mind control, impulsiveness, reckless, or intoxicated behavior, it is actually weirder for people to follow Stark than WIlson, when you think about it.

And, again, even beyond the reputation that Wilson has earned as a hero, there is a lot of history of Avengers leaders not being the ones who have simply been around the longest. It seems like a leader is appointed (or chosen by the group-- I don't remember if there are long scenes about by-laws anymore-- and then they try to follow the leader they commit to. So if they have chosen Wilson, either based on his own experience, or that in combination with Steve's blessing, then that works for me.
  • Options

Do you think there is any possibility that the books will begin explaining (or retconning) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as "miracles" or possibly "Inhumans" (if that is the cinematic origin) as the Avengers 2 release date becomes imminent? Or do you think the books will continue to stick to their origins as being mutants whose father is Magneto? Or do you think it won't come up?

I just realized I had started to answer this and the draft went with my last past. A longer thought on this, because I think it is an interesting question--

I think in the past, when Marvel has wanted to shift the comics to be more like the books, they have usually found ways to do it without throwing old things out of continuity. Marvel has a long, often successful, I think, history of quietly changing or updating the continuity of their characters (as well as jettisoning inconvenient bits of character history) by what they choose to emphasize and not emphasize, as opposed to having a crisis and drawing their readers' attention to 'a cosmic/editorial hand has now made things different!'

And while in many ways it is impossible for a lot of the older comics in the MU to actually still be in continuity (e.g. the age of the characters, or their interactions with real historical figures, or even nations that no longer exist, that would pin them down to a certain age), Marvel seems to just trust us to "count" what makes sense to count, and not worry too much about what no longer makes sense. And they also help this along by making little shifts- often visual cues- when the origins get retold.

An example would be Jarvis. That actual man, Jarvis, has simply stopped showing up in the comics, as far as I have noticed. And we have long had J.A.R.V.I.S. in the Invincible Iron Man comics. But that exchange over time is more subtle than changing continuity to suggest that there was *never* a man named Jarvis.

So I don't expect they would get rid of Wanda and PIetro's relationship to their father, or change what they are from mutant to something else. Because that would be too "loud" of a change. That calls our attention to them making the comics have to be like the movies, and would throw out decades of stories to do so.

If they were worried about them being too connected with the X-Men, they would probably simply demphasize that connection. They would stop mentioning that Magneto is their father in stories. Or they could simply start referring to Wanda more as a witch than as a mutant with chaos powers. But they haven't done that yet and I don't expect them to. So far, they seem to cherry pick what they like from the movies and TV and include or emphasize that, but they have not yet, that I have noticed, interrupted or retconned the ongoing comics to do so.
  • Options
    David_D said:

An example would be Jarvis. That actual man, Jarvis, has simply stopped showing up in the comics, as far as I have noticed. And we have long had J.A.R.V.I.S. in the Invincible Iron Man comics. But that exchange over time is more subtle than changing continuity to suggest that there was *never* a man named Jarvis.

On a bit of a tangent, am I recalling correctly that the character of "Jarvis" (the butler one, that is ) was in the trailer for the Peggy Carter series?

• Options

David_D said:

On a bit of a tangent, am I recalling correctly that the character of "Jarvis" (the butler one, that is ) was in the trailer for the Peggy Carter series?

And that ends up being a place to put a Jarvis in the TV/movie universe, without having to retcon Edwin Jarvis out of the comics.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    One last thought, on the Wanda/Pietro in the comics question--

If Marvel was about to distance them from Magneto, or try to retcon/rebrand them as Inhumans, it would be funny timing given how much their relationship to Magneto (as well as Wanda's status as a mutant) is being emphasized in the current Axis story. And we've already seen teasers of the relaunch (or 'new season') of Uncanny Avengers that will come out of Axis in January:

The whole concept of Uncanny Avengers, is that, post Avengers Vs. X-Men, that it was supposed to be the "Unity" team of Avengers and X-Men working together. And from the beginning of that book Wanda has been played as a conflicted figure straddling both worlds-- a longtime Avengers who, as the cause of Disassembled AND Decimation, is also a figure whose power and choices have been seen as dangerous to the Avengers and to all mutants.

So if they wanted to try to make us stop thinking about Wanda as a mutant, I would think they would get her away from this book and into a regular Avengers book. And that they wouldn't be adding Pietro to the lineup.

Sure, Wanda's reality warping powers could be an easy way to retcon them into having never been Magneto's children, and never having been mutants or something like that. They could, themselves, be "no more mutant". It is possible. But if they did that just to match up with a movie origin, I don't think that would go down well. It would be a more heavy handed and obvious bit of brand alignment than they usually do. It would be a bad sign if they got that top-down with things. But, as they didn't after Avengers, I don't expect they will need to for Avengers 2.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Age of Ultron official website has launched...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It bothers me more Fury Jr. is called "Fury" or even "Nick Fury." C'mon, let's have some name distinction between the guy who's been doing the job for decades and the kid who just started a couple years ago.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It bothers me more Fury Jr. is called "Fury" or even "Nick Fury." C'mon, let's have some name distinction between the guy who's been doing the job for decades and the kid who just started a couple years ago.

I get that. But sadly, we all know the reason they are lessening that distinction. Bah.
  • Options

Age of Ultron official website has launched...

Thanks. My desktop wallpaper is now set!
  • Options
    David_D said:

If Marvel was about to distance them from Magneto, or try to retcon/rebrand them as Inhumans, it would be funny timing given how much their relationship to Magneto (as well as Wanda's status as a mutant) is being emphasized in the current Axis story. .

Suggest you check out Axis #7 out today. :-)

• Options
    @TheOriginalGMan‌ - Interesting. I am behind on Axis, but just read a spoiler-y review of the issue. It seems to be that they are doing-- or, in a penultimate issue, teasing the idea, of doing the latter part of what I guessed:
    David_D said:

Sure, Wanda's reality warping powers could be an easy way to retcon them into having never been Magneto's children, and never having been mutants or something like that. They could, themselves, be "no more mutant". It is possible. But if they did that just to match up with a movie origin, I don't think that would go down well. It would be a more heavy handed and obvious bit of brand alignment than they usually do. It would be a bad sign if they got that top-down with things. But, as they didn't after Avengers, I don't expect they will need to for Avengers 2.

The review I read predicts that the question of their true origins may carry over to Remender's upcoming new volume of Uncanny Avengers. Hopefully this will be him to continuing to run out the thread of a Wanda story he wants to tell, as Uncanny Avengers has been a pretty Wanda-heavy title from the start, and the retcon may or may not stick or be all it seems.

It would be a bummer if the retcon does end up sticking, and ends up being such a blatant and heavy handed move to align with the films. I would say that has actually not usually been the case for Marvel in the past. Sure, they have borrowed some designs and visuals from the movies. Featured certain characters more heavily. Added characters. But even in the case of Nick Fury/ Nick Fury Jr., they spent years making that transition, and never retconned away the original Fury. Instead they added another one who basically now has the mantle.

It could turn out that this is how they make Wanda and Pietro more like how they will be in the movies, but it would be a bummer if they start getting so top down about this. We'll see.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I don't expect they would get rid of Wanda and PIetro's relationship to their father, or change what they are from mutant to something else. Because that would be too "loud" of a change. That calls our attention to them making the comics have to be like the movies, and would throw out decades of stories to do so.

If they were worried about them being too connected with the X-Men, they would probably simply demphasize that connection. They would stop mentioning that Magneto is their father in stories. Or they could simply start referring to Wanda more as a witch than as a mutant with chaos powers. But they haven't done that yet and I don't expect them to.

Perhaps.
    Matt said:

I get the feeling you're fired up about it because you seem to be the only one dwelling on it & trying to find evidence to support your concerns.

Perhaps not.

Suggest you check out Axis #7 out today. :-)

David_D said:

I am behind on Axis, but just read a spoiler-y review of the issue.

As the previous posts in this thread show, those theories align very closely to the path I've come to believe that Marvel would eventually be compelled to take due to the licensing issues over "mutants" in regards to the cinematic boom that has taken place with their properties.

I still contend this is most likely due in no small part to the consequences of Disney taking over. It may not be the way Marvel has done things in the past, but Disney owns them now and I understand that Disney doesn't like to mess around.

#Inhumans

• Options
    David_D said:

@TheOriginalGMan‌ - Interesting. I am behind on Axis, but just read a spoiler-y review of the issue. It seems to be that they are doing-- or, in a penultimate issue, teasing the idea, of doing the latter part of what I guessed:

David_D said:

The review I read predicts that the question of their true origins may carry over to Remender's upcoming new volume of Uncanny Avengers. Hopefully this will be him to continuing to run out the thread of a Wanda story he wants to tell, as Uncanny Avengers has been a pretty Wanda-heavy title from the start, and the retcon may or may not stick or be all it seems.

It would be a bummer if the retcon does end up sticking, and ends up being such a blatant and heavy handed move to align with the films. I would say that has actually not usually been the case for Marvel in the past. Sure, they have borrowed some designs and visuals from the movies. Featured certain characters more heavily. Added characters. But even in the case of Nick Fury/ Nick Fury Jr., they spent years making that transition, and never retconned away the original Fury. Instead they added another one who basically now has the mantle.

It could turn out that this is how they make Wanda and Pietro more like how they will be in the movies, but it would be a bummer if they start getting so top down about this. We'll see.
    Well, don't forget that the reveal that Magneto was the father of Wanda and Pietro was a bit of a retcon in its own right. I mean, it was pretty well established that the Whizzer was their daddy for a while, and then they decided to switch it to Magneto (a move I never loved personally)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited December 2014
    David_D said:

Just read the latest Axis last evening. ugh. Heavy handed and obvious attempt to match up the Maximoff off twins with the upcoming film.
    I think it is a very Bad move. Being the children of Magneto has always been a big part of those characters' development; from their origins as the belittled members of Daddy's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and their path to redemption by becoming Avengers. It felt like a large part of their personalities was how they felt with the shadow of the Father in two very different ways.

Pietro and Wanda's linage has always been sloppy, messy, and hard to understand. This certainly isn't going to help.

Unfortunately I guess that also makes Polaris no longer the half-sister. Bummer. That family dynamic was just getting interesting over in X-Factor.
  • Options

David_D said:

David_D said:

Well, don't forget that the reveal that Magneto was the father of Wanda and Pietro was a bit of a retcon in its own right. I mean, it was pretty well established that the Whizzer was their daddy for a while, and then they decided to switch it to Magneto (a move I never loved personally)
    Cool--- I never knew that one. Good old-time knowledge drop.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hex said:

David_D said:

Just read the latest Axis last evening. ugh. Heavy handed and obvious attempt to match up the Maximoff off twins with the upcoming film.
    I think it is a very Bad move. Being the children of Magneto has always been a big part of those characters' development; from their origins as the belittled members of Daddy's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and their path to redemption by becoming Avengers. It felt like a large part of their personalities was how they felt with the shadow of the Father in two very different ways.

Pietro and Wanda's linage has always been sloppy, messy, and hard to understand. This certainly isn't going to help.

Unfortunately I guess that also makes Polaris no longer the half-sister. Bummer. That family dynamic was just getting interesting over in X-Factor.
    I haven't read it yet, but do you think Remender is toying with/ teasing this idea, but leaving open a back door that restores this in the upcoming new volume of Uncanny Avengers? It wouldn't be the first time that Wanda's powers have been used to take something or someone away only for it to get restored later. Or, reading it, does it really feel like they are doing this to make it stick?
  • Options
    Yep, The Whizzer and Miss America were supposed to have been their parents.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited December 2014
    David_D said:

I haven't read it yet, but do you think Remender is toying with/ teasing this idea, but leaving open a back door that restores this in the upcoming new volume of Uncanny Avengers? It wouldn't be the first time that Wanda's powers have been used to take something or someone away only for it to get restored later. Or, reading it, does it really feel like they are doing this to make it stick?

It is all pretty loosey goosey at the moment and not much has been explained other than the revelation that Magnus may not be their Papa after all. As for Wanda's powers? It was through the use of her powers that this revelation came about, so maybe her powers subconsciously changed Magneto as their parent?
    From what I can gather, the "status" of the Maximoff twins will play a central role in the relaunched Uncanny Avengers (for the first story arc at least). Fingers crossed that it doesn't get any more convoluted.

Who knows... maybe Joseph (remember him?) is the twins real father. Maybe Marvel plans to make Joseph the original Magneto and the current Magneto the clone, just like to original plan with Peter Parker and Ben Riley.
  • Options
    This exchange in AXIS #7 can begin the convenient change of comic book history for Marvel Studios in advance of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver’s cinematic appearance in Avengers: Age of Ultron. This, along with the fall finale’s (SPOILER) reveal of the Inhumans in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. could prove to be an ideal landing spot for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, along with adding some additional interest to the Inhumans. Marvel Studios is definitely looking at their long-term goals and planning to have it all pay off with the Inhumans feature film in 2018.

The only fact as of right now however is that the Scarlet Witch’s spell seems to confirm a family connection to Quicksilver, but not to Magneto. The “No More Mutants” teaser from NYCC will be a variant cover for Uncanny Avengers #1 next month, so we should find out soon where all these chips fall within the Marvel Comics universe.

As an aside, in the recently solicited Inhuman #13, the term NuHumans is gaining prominence again.
  • Options
    Hm. I feel like making Pietro an Inhuman really undermines his story lines with Crystal and Luna...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I don't believe that the movies create new comic book fans. They create new super-hero fans. So, with that in mind, I wish the powers that be would treat the two continuities as separate entities and not force one to accommodate the other.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    rebis said:

I don't believe that the movies create new comic book fans. They create new super-hero fans. So, with that in mind, I wish the powers that be would treat the two continuities as separate entities and not force one to accommodate the other.

Exactly.

And no matter how much they change things, unless they're going to literally make The Avengers (or X-Men, or Spider-Man...) a title featuring only the characters from the movies, looking and behaving like the actors they're familiar with, those non-comic readers who are turned off by the differences are still going to be turned off.

Take advantage of those things the movies do get right (Iron Man finally having a personality has been a welcome change in recent years, for example), but re-writing years of continuity just makes things messier for the people who actually read the comics.
  • Options
    Some information on the origin of Ultron and Vision has released.

SPOILERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited January 2015

Do you think there is any possibility that the books will begin explaining (or retconning) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as "miracles" or possibly "Inhumans" (if that is the cinematic origin) as the Avengers 2 release date becomes imminent? Or do you think the books will continue to stick to their origins as being mutants whose father is Magneto? Or do you think it won't come up?

SPOILERS: CBR article here has Rick Remender talks about what's going on in Uncanny Avengers #4, discussing the "Counter Evolutionary" arc which will see the series start with the Maximoff twins frantically trying to discover the truth about who they are and who has created this grand lie about their ancestry. Basically, more will be revealed about Pietro (Quicksilver) and Wanda's (Scarlet Witch) daddy issues...

Maybe we can go back to the Roy Thomas golden days of when their parents being Miss America and the Whizzer...? Sadly, no. But I'm thinking Remender is taking us all the way back to Lee/Kirby's original idea, hinted at here:

Big changes for the twins, but probably going to align them closer to the lineage that may or may not be revealed in Avengers 2.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    Anybody else notice RDJ's name comes before even the title of the movie? Like he's the only one that matters? I can't even begin to imagine the amount of money he's going to make on this (though I'm sure we'll find out).
  • Options
    Seeing speculation that this could be either T'Challa's sister, Shuri, or one of their Dora Milaje bodyguards: