Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

It's funny because the whole situation was clearly about an outsized response to a minor insult. I watched the movie. I liked it for the most part, but it was exactly what I expected it to be, a stoner bromance gross-out comedy. Not the best, not their best. But I don't think that they were trying to do anything else when they were making it.

The funny part is, no one would have cared about any of it if North Korea had just ignored it.

Turns out it was never North Korea to begin with, and believe it or not one of my favorite SNL alumni called it before anyone...

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I was watching Hot Fuzz again recently, this time with the commentary on, and noticed something interesting.

First of all, Peter Jackson and Martin Freeman are both in it, in minor roles (Jackson in an uncredited cameo), when Jackson appears as the crazed Santa Claus, on the commentary Simon Pegg calls him 'the hobbit king'.

Nothing strange there, but it's just as Martin Freeman appears on screen. Obviously a coincidence, but seconds later the commentary group are praising Freeman's hair in his scene when Simon Pegg also complements it but then jokes Freeman has large deformed feet. This DVD came out in 2007.

Was Simon Pegg trying to hint at negotiations he was privy to, on the Hot Fuzz set? Or was it all just a coincidence?

I think I'll believe in the former. :-O
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Does anyone have a GoPro? I was thinking about getting one.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I do. Hero 3 black. Very buggy at times, so much so that I carry a troubleshooting cheat sheet in my camera bag if I'm going to use it, but I've gotten some great footage off it.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    The Newsroom was by far the best series on TV in 2014. Sad to see it finish. 3 of the best seasons of TV I have ever seen. Fast, witty and intelligent.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    luke52 said:

The Newsroom was by far the best series on TV in 2014. Sad to see it finish. 3 of the best seasons of TV I have ever seen. Fast, witty and intelligent.

I'm with you. I really, really enjoyed the series and felt like it did a great job of hypothesizing how much better things could be in a world with more responsible standard of journalism.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Totally agree. It's also one of very few shows where the last episode was as good as all those before it.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Because turkeys are dirt cheap after the holidays, I bought one and tried a "dry brine" before I roasted it.
    FANTASTIC!
    My Mom and Mother-in-Law lied when the said stuff like "turkeys are just dry".
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    fredzilla said:

Ordered DC Comics Deck Building Game for nearly 60% off at Amazon. Heads up for those Cyber Monday Deals!

The new Forever Evil set is excellent!
  • Options
    rebis said:

I haven't really followed the NFL since Tom Landry was fired. I'm an NHL guy and MLB to a lesser extent. But we changed TV services recently and now I have GolTV, and lately I have been watching a lot of Bundesliga matches. Anyone else into what the rest of the world calls football?

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?
    I always hated the Cowboys, but respected the hell out of Landry.

Great coach and he dressed like a grown-up.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2015
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

I haven't really followed the NFL since Tom Landry was fired. I'm an NHL guy and MLB to a lesser extent. But we changed TV services recently and now I have GolTV, and lately I have been watching a lot of Bundesliga matches. Anyone else into what the rest of the world calls football?

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?

what do you mean by that?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?

A suit and tie and a hat!

All the current coaches in their golf shirts sweatshirts and ballcaps look like slobs compared to Landry.
  • Options
    "Bucky Barnes - The Winter Soldier" is one seriously trippy book.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?

A suit and tie and a hat!

All the current coaches in their golf shirts sweatshirts and ballcaps look like slobs compared to Landry.
    It's against the nfls rules to wear a suit on the sidelines. Coaches can only wear nfl licensed shirts while they are coaching.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2015

"Bucky Barnes - The Winter Soldier" is one seriously trippy book.

I loved where Original Sin left Winter Soldier and I was excited to read stories about his new role. However, this book is just terrible..the story isn't engaging and the art..woof..horrible.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

It's against the nfls rules to wear a suit on the sidelines. Coaches can only wear nfl licensed shirts while they are coaching.

Seriously?

What a terrible rule.
  • Options
    I believe they've done away with that rule. Mike Nolan used to wear suits when he coached San Francisco and there was a big hullabaloo when he got fined for it. The NFL, if I'm recalling correctly, eventually changed the rule and now allow Head Coaches to wear suits.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Not the worst NFL rule...the worst NFL rule came into play in the Cowboys/Packers game..horrible(and I'm not a Cowboys fan)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

I believe they've done away with that rule. Mike Nolan used to wear suits when he coached San Francisco and there was a big hullabaloo when he got fined for it. The NFL, if I'm recalling correctly, eventually changed the rule and now allow Head Coaches to wear suits.

Sort of , they are allowed to wear suits made by the official apparel maker for the NFL (I can't remember if it's Reebok or Nike).
  • Options

Sort of , they are allowed to wear suits made by the official apparel maker for the NFL (I can't remember if it's Reebok or Nike).

Criminy.

I wish Jack Davis, now that he's "retired" would do a new installment of Superfan, dealing contrasting the current despicable state of the NFL from the early 70s despicable state of the NFL.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2015
    Funny throwaway line from Phil Coulson in last week's "SHIELD #1." He's explaining to a junior agent about how when you organize superheroes to respond to a threat, you have to pick the right ones. As an aside he tells her "Remind me to tell you sometime how Quicksilver could kill the Hulk if he wanted to." I literally "LOL'd" at that part.

(PS - Would be neat if they're really teasing a scene from Age of Ultron. :-) )
  • Options
    "Being a sports fan is like living in a universe designed by George R. R. Martin. " - Doghousediaries.com
    Today's comics is spot on.
  • Options
    Heh. I loved the Superfan strips -- I think I have a paperback copy around somewhere. Not so much for the subject matter, as I've never really been a sports fan of any caliber, but for the satire and lovely Davis art.
  • Options

Heh. I loved the Superfan strips -- I think I have a paperback copy around somewhere. Not so much for the subject matter, as I've never really been a sports fan of any caliber, but for the satire and lovely Davis art.

I learned more about football from that book than from umpteen years of watching the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    My new fly rod came in today, and my new reel came in last week. I'm set to try to catch some spainish mackerels and try a new type of ocean fishing. Next up is getting a second ocean kayak (for my wife).

PS Don't tell my wife about the new rod and reel.
  • Options
    Sometime in the 2 weeks post my daughter's first birthday she has gone from Abi-angel into Abig-hild the Littlest Viking and Destroyer of All of Things.

It is amazing; it's like she decided she is now a big girl trapped in an infant body. At the same time her inner Conan and Sweyn Forkbeard was released.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Sometime in the 2 weeks post my daughter's first birthday she has gone from Abi-angel into Abig-hild the Littlest Viking and Destroyer of All of Things.

It is amazing; it's like she decided she is now a big girl trapped in an infant body. At the same time her inner Conan and Sweyn Forkbeard was released.

She must be reading Barbrabarian :)