Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Can we petition to get a pre-movie cartoon instead of another credits scene this go round?
  • Options
    Matt said:

Were people actually "trained" to wait out the credits between X-Men 3 & Iron Man? Here's a list of cbm between X3 & IM:

Ghost Rider
    FF:RotSS
    Spider-man 3

Of those, only the FF movie had a credit scene; 1/3rd. If it wasn't for running into Kev on his way out of Iron Man, I don't even think I would've stayed. Speaking of the Iron Man franchise; we survived only getting one credit scene in IM3 (which was a one-off), we can survive not getting another one in AoU.

Other than Iron Man, were any of those exclusive Marvel Studios films? I'm suggesting that it wasn't until after Marvel had begun doing a post credits scene consistently, beginning with Iron Man and going forward with their films, that audiences were eventually and effectively "trained". Even the industry recognizes this as a standard for Marvel films. About half of the audience at my viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy remained until the Howard the Duck sequence. The groans and chuckles were many. That's why I predict that far more people will be sitting in their seats at the end of Avengers 2 than were remaining in their seats after Avengers 1. We've been trained. Just a hunch, but it will be nigh impossible to quantify this theory.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

I'm still pissed there's no newsreels.

I have no idea how the war in Europe is going.

Eh, I can live without the newsreels. That last one I saw never even got around to telling us what "Rosebud" meant.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Were people actually "trained" to wait out the credits between X-Men 3 & Iron Man? Here's a list of cbm between X3 & IM:

Ghost Rider
    FF:RotSS
    Spider-man 3

Of those, only the FF movie had a credit scene; 1/3rd. If it wasn't for running into Kev on his way out of Iron Man, I don't even think I would've stayed. Speaking of the Iron Man franchise; we survived only getting one credit scene in IM3 (which was a one-off), we can survive not getting another one in AoU.

Other than Iron Man, were any of those exclusive Marvel Studios films? I'm suggesting that it wasn't until after Marvel had begun doing a post credits scene consistently, beginning with Iron Man and going forward with their films, that audiences were eventually and effectively "trained". Even the industry recognizes this as a standard for Marvel films. About half of the audience at my viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy remained until the Howard the Duck sequence. The groans and chuckles were many. That's why I predict that far more people will be sitting in their seats at the end of Avengers 2 than were remaining in their seats after Avengers 1. We've been trained. Just a hunch, but it will be nigh impossible to quantify this theory.
    Next time state, not suggest.

So now it's a bad thing for people to sit through the end of the credits? The number of meanderers has probably increased since Iron Man, but more movie franchises are introducing post-credit scenes & people are still leaving. The general audience hasn't en masse been trained to respond to the bell.

M
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Matt said:

So now it's a bad thing for people to sit through the end of the credits? The number of meanderers has probably increased since Iron Man, but more movie franchises are introducing post-credit scenes & people are still leaving. The general audience hasn't en masse been trained to respond to the bell.

M

Huh? Clearly our disagreement styles differ. The audience is sticking around more often. If they weren't then this announcement wouldn't have been made at all. It's also doubtful there would be thousands of news stories about it if it weren't so connected to the Marvel movie brand. Marvel is widelyknown for adding these. Although, yes, we've seen these things for years...

Even Big Hero 6 had a post credits scene. And it even featured Stan Lee.

Since there was a Marvel connection, the filmmakers decided at the last minute that they needed to have Stan in it and that it needed to be a post credits scene.

I never said sitting through the end credits was a bad thing. The wisdom of not offering a post credits scene as Marvel has done for the last 10 of their films is what I find questionable.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    <duplicate comment
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Can we petition to get a pre-movie cartoon instead of another credits scene this go round?

I would love that, though it would require more planning to produce even a minute or two of animation than it would be to film a quick live-action scene while you're already on set with everyone in place.

I think it would be great if Warner would show one or two “DC Shorts” in front of the DC movies. They could even use the ones they've already produced, because I doubt the majority of people going to see Superman/Batman have ever seen them.
  • Options

I think it would be great if Warner would show one or two “DC Shorts” in front of the DC movies. They could even use the ones they've already produced, because I doubt the majority of people going to see Superman/Batman have ever seen them.

Agreed. And I doubt that those that have seen them would mind seeing them again on the big screen.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Matt said:

M

Huh? Clearly our disagreement styles differ. The audience is sticking around more often. If they weren't then this announcement wouldn't have been made at all. It's also doubtful there would be thousands of news stories about it if it weren't so connected to the Marvel movie brand. Marvel is widelyknown for adding these. Although, yes, we've seen these things for years...

Even Big Hero 6 had a post credits scene. And it even featured Stan Lee.

Since there was a Marvel connection, the filmmakers decided at the last minute that they needed to have Stan in it and that it needed to be a post credits scene.

I never said sitting through the end credits was a bad thing. The wisdom of not offering a post credits scene as Marvel has done for the last 10 of their films is what I find questionable.
    Way back in college, I took a course about research methods. Part of the course involved assessing data. Essentially, you & I can look at the exact same data and have it fit into what we want it to show.

Who's reporting about the no credit scenes? Comic book sites & entertainment sites? The movie is a month away. If Whedon commented his autographed Mark Metcalf poster is on display in a comic book shop that Hulk destroys, it's going to get the press. If it was an overly big deal then it'd be common knowledge & no one would get bamboozled.

Hence my initial premise of finding a controversy when there really isn't one..

And I contend the people who want to stay until the end will. I'm not believing a large ratio of people are staying until the end of movies, regardless of precedent.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Way back in college, I took a course about research methods. Part of the course involved assessing data. Essentially, you & I can look at the exact same data and have it fit into what we want it to show.

Who's reporting about the no credit scenes? Comic book sites & entertainment sites? The movie is a month away. If Whedon commented his autographed Mark Metcalf poster is on display in a comic book shop that Hulk destroys, it's going to get the press. If it was an overly big deal then it'd be common knowledge & no one would get bamboozled.

Hence my initial premise of making something out of nothing.

Maybe you didn't bother to click the links I provided, but it is being reported by Yahoo!, TV Guide, E! Online, Entertainment Weekly, TheWrap, SlashFilm, literally thousands of websites.

Here's a sample from a geekier site than above:
    It’s become such a staple of the Marvel movie experience that when the credits rolled on Guardians of the Galaxy, not a single person in my audience even got up to stretch. After ten films, people know that you are crazy if you leave before THE END CREDITS SCENE! http://justkillingti.me/2014/08/08/top-5-marvel-post-credits-scenes/
    Matt said:

I'm not believing a large ratio of people are staying until the end of movies, regardless of precedent.

M

We disagree then @Matt. When it comes to a Marvel film, a large portion stays, and they will stay for this one too. I'm far from alone in this opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Matt said:

Hence my initial premise of making something out of nothing.

Maybe you didn't bother to click the links I provided, but it is being reported by Yahoo!, TV Guide, E! Online, Entertainment Weekly, TheWrap, SlashFilm, literally thousands of websites.

Here's a sample from a geekier site than above:
    It’s become such a staple of the Marvel movie experience that when the credits rolled on Guardians of the Galaxy, not a single person in my audience even got up to stretch. After ten films, people know that you are crazy if you leave before THE END CREDITS SCENE! http://justkillingti.me/2014/08/08/top-5-marvel-post-credits-scenes/
    Matt said:

I'm not believing a large ratio of people are staying until the end of movies, regardless of precedent.

M

We disagree then @Matt. When it comes to a Marvel film, a large portion stays, and they will stay for this one too. I'm far from alone in this opinion.

Thank you for proving my point. Those sites (yahoo probably the exception) are for people who care to stay on top on what's going in movies. These people aren't "trained" to stay. They do out of habit (like Jamie D) or because there was information advising to stay until the end.

The people who aren't frequenting these sites are probably the ones who still leave after the credit roll start.

A lot of people had the opinion that the world was flat; didn't make it fact. If you have a source to validate the claim, I'll gladly review each one. Just going off the eye test; the number of meanderers hasn't drastically increased in all my sample sizes.

I also question that person's statement on two counts: not a single person? Not 1?! If that's the case, what's the make up of the audience? Was it at a con? Was it just a random showing at a random theatre? Here's another thing from that course I learned; it's easy to influence the survey to garner the results you want.

This has taken a side bar to acknowledge:

- mid-credits began with Avengers, making the post-credit scene a one-off to the specific movie
    - AoU not having a post-credit scene breaks the 'one-off' tradition, but doesn't mean the mid-credit scene isn't going to expand the MCU; like the Phase II tradition
    - we survived no mid-credit scene with IM3, so we should survive no post-credit scene in AoU
    - although some people want a newsreel or cartoon, I want a petition to get a pre-Marvel Studio logo scene, intermission scene, 2 minute warning scene, pre-credit scene, mid-credit scene, post-credit scene, & a "turn on the lights on" scene...all to expand the MCU because without all of them, it's just money left on the table.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I still blame the original article for this. It felt disingenuous, at best.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What began as a fun discussion has turned into something awkward....

That's about the strangest post/rant I've read in a while @Matt. I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but if you don't agree that more people are remaining in their seats until the end of Marvel movies these days, then I can't help you. Whether these evidences are anecdotal or empiracle is beside the point. Your opinion not withstanding, Marvel has developed a reputation worldwide for mainstreaming the post credits scene and all your retorts to the contrary don't change that reputation. I could continue to pull article after article, and have already provided ample links to demonstrate my point, but it's been of little use because for some reason you're still asserting it isn't true and that we are demanding even more scenes, or something. It's really hard to tell. What is clear is that you really want to argue with me, because you've ceded absolutely no point here, nor actually proven one that I can tell.

But, I sure am glad to know you took a college course @Matt. I'm sure most everyone reading this is very proud of you.

• Options
    edited April 2015

What began as a fun discussion has turned into something awkward....

That's about the strangest post/rant I've read in a while @Matt. I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but if you don't agree that more people are remaining in their seats until the end of Marvel movies these days, then I can't help you. Whether these evidences are anecdotal or empiracle is beside the point. Your opinion not withstanding, Marvel has developed a reputation worldwide for mainstreaming the post credits scene and all your retorts to the contrary don't change that reputation. I could continue to pull article after article, and have already provided ample links to demonstrate my point, but it's been of little use because for some reason you're still asserting it isn't true and that we are demanding even more scenes, or something. It's really hard to tell. What is clear is that you really want to argue with me, because you've ceded absolutely no point here, nor actually proven one that I can tell.

But, I sure am glad to know you took a college course @Matt. I'm sure most everyone reading this is very proud of you.

What links to articles? The ones stating MCU has a reputation for credit scenes? When did I state otherwise? I don't believe that after 10 films audiences are "trained" to stick through until the lights come up. I can do a simple eye test from when see these. There's still a good number of people who leave beforehand. You referenced ONE link stating not a single person even stretched. I'd be more inclined to believe "nearly no one left" before I do one that's all inclusive. And just like any stat presented to me, I want to know about the collection process.

Doesn't a "not a single person left" from the special Con exclusive viewing hold less weight then "not a single person left" from the packed theatre of a maintee showing on the Tuesday after the release?

I just don't buy that after 10 movies there's no one leaving the theatre because they're trained to stay. If there's a link to a study that shows this, I will gladly review it. I DO believe the people who stay on top of these types of announcements are the same people who stay until the end.

I'm not looking for any argument, I'm just not getting why this is screwing us out of a scene to expand the MCU. Am I mildly bummed there's no one-off scene like the last patch of movies? Sure. Do I really believe there won't be any scene to prep for the next movie? Nope. Wasn't that the whole premise of your initial post about this? A missed opportunity to expand the MCU by not having a post-credit scene?

M

Actual, it was several courses; I haven't heard of getting a degree with just 1 course completed. It was brought up as a to illustrate data can be analyzed in different subjective ways. I would have a rather poor life if I needed by tires pumped because I took one college course.

http://youtu.be/t4VXn6wFNTM
  • Options
    Matt said:

Am I mildly bummed there's no one-off scene like the last patch of movies? Sure.

Then at least we've agreed on something.

And that's one to grow on...

• Options
    My experience has been that at least half the audience leaves before the post-credits scene. I saw GOTG on opening day, in a full house, and there were perhaps a dozen of us left for the Howard the Duck scene. I saw more people stay for a non-existent post-credit scene for Man of Steel. I'm sure it depends on the crowd, but I personally think the average viewer's interest in these things has already peaked.

On a side note, several years ago, my sister-in law was watching Iron Man on television and kept going on about how it was one of her favorite movies and she'd seen it over and over. The second it ended, she switched channels. When I asked her why she wasn't waiting to see the post-credit scene, she had no idea what I was talking about. She flipped it back, saw Nick Fury pop up and deliver his lines and then... switched the channel and said "That was stupid."
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    chrisw said:

When I asked her why she wasn't waiting to see the post-credit scene, she had no idea what I was talking about. She flipped it back, saw Nick Fury pop up and deliver his lines and then... switched the channel and said "That was stupid."

LoL. Classic. Sounds like my wife :)

Anyone catch this after the credits on on the Fight Club DVD?
  • Options

chrisw said:

When I asked her why she wasn't waiting to see the post-credit scene, she had no idea what I was talking about. She flipped it back, saw Nick Fury pop up and deliver his lines and then... switched the channel and said "That was stupid."

LoL. Classic. Sounds like my wife :)
    I still gripe about that moment to my wife. Because I typically find my sister-in law annoying, and I thought I was making an effort to be nice in showing her something from one of her favorite movies she'd never seen before. Instead, her reaction pretty much summed up why I find her annoying to begin with.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2015
    For what it's worth, anecdotally, when I see movies in NYC, a chunk of the audience always bounds out of their seats the moment the credits start like the place is on fire. When the lights come on, I usually look around and feel like I am with my fellow nerds and die hard fans, but we are usually not even half the crowd.

Maybe it's a New York thing.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    David_D said:

For what it's worth, anecdotally, when I see movies in NYC, a chunk of the audience always bounds out of their seats the moment the credits start like the place is on fire. When the lights come on, I usually look around and feel like I am with my fellow nerds and die hard fans, but we are usually not even half the crowd.

Nope. It's the same in Oregon.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    AxelBrass said:

David_D said:

Same at CGS central.

I think what happens at times is we forget that WE represent a portion of who watches these movies (or TV shows). We assume everyone is as close to the pulse as we are & that's just not the case.

I got into a discussion last week with some who felt the DCCU needs to have Allen & Jordan introduced before West & Stewart because it would take too long to explain in the movie what happened to the two. When I brought up the general audience wouldn't know any different, so no explanation was needed, he responded "I want the movies to cater to comic book fans, not the general audience."

M
  • Options
    Sometimes I'm tempted to ask, "guys, don't you know there's a mid-credits scene by now?"

I could care less if they don't stay after the credits, though. :p
  • Options
    Matt said:

AxelBrass said:

David_D said:

Same at CGS central.

I think what happens at times is we forget that WE represent a portion of who watches these movies (or TV shows). We assume everyone is as close to the pulse as we are & that's just not the case.

I got into a discussion last week with some who felt the DCCU needs to have Allen & Jordan introduced before West & Stewart because it would take too long to explain in the movie what happened to the two. When I brought up the general audience wouldn't know any different, so no explanation was needed, he responded "I want the movies to cater to comic book fans, not the general audience."

M
    When the details about the first Spider-Man film came out, I had a co-worker at the time who was furious that they were starting with the Green Goblin, because it meant they were skipping all the stories that came before that. He literally wanted the first film to feature The Chamelon, the second to feature the Vulture, the third to feature Doctor Octopus... everything matching right up with those Lee/Ditko issues.

By his thinking, we would have gotten the Green Goblin in Spider-Man 14, starring an elderly Tobey Maguire and the dessicated corpse of Willem Dafoe, But I'm a little more curious as to what the public's reception would have been of Spider-Man 10's epic two hour face-off against Ox, Montana and Fancy Dan.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2015
    Marvel released a new poster that gave us our first really good look at the Vision. I gotta say it's not how I envisioned him. His purple and blue textured outfit looks like someone crossed the Man of Steel with a sentinel. Luckily, I have Photoshop and I'm not afraid to use it.

• Options
    chrisw said:

Matt said:

AxelBrass said:

David_D said:

Same at CGS central.

M
    When the details about the first Spider-Man film came out, I had a co-worker at the time who was furious that they were starting with the Green Goblin, because it meant they were skipping all the stories that came before that. He literally wanted the first film to feature The Chamelon, the second to feature the Vulture, the third to feature Doctor Octopus... everything matching right up with those Lee/Ditko issues.

By his thinking, we would have gotten the Green Goblin in Spider-Man 14, starring an elderly Tobey Maguire and the dessicated corpse of Willem Dafoe, But I'm a little more curious as to what the public's reception would have been of Spider-Man 10's epic two hour face-off against Ox, Montana and Fancy Dan.
    Wow. Catering to a percentage of a specific audience just doesn't seem like a good business model for making a shitload of money.

M
  • Options
    Then the new FF reboot should be a blockbuster hit.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Sometimes I'm tempted to ask, "guys, don't you know there's a mid-credits scene by now?"

As long as they don't block my view or jabber during the scene.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

As long as they don't block my view or jabber during the scene.
    Can't stand no jibber jabber from movie-leavin' fools, sucka.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2015
    A new generation is starting to get trained for this, though--

From the post-credit scenes at the end of Frozen and Big Hero 6, my oldest daughter always asks if there is a "special treat" at the end. And she is disappointed when things like Sleeping Beauty from 1959 doesn't have one.

I think this whole debate would have been much more endearing if people were saying "special treat" over and over instead of mid-credit or after-credit sequence.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mmm... Special treats... Mmm...