Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Name a series/character you like that's not popular

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Just a quick summary of this thread, if you don't want to make a mistake and read the whole thing.

- I'm passive aggressively insinuating that everyone is a herd of sheep for liking something popular.
    - uh, I think we misunderstood what you were trying to say. Everyone has different tastes. And your suppositions make no sense because you seem to like very popular things yourself.
    - nope. You like things that are for children. I'm talking about maturity. Which is liking things that other people don't like.
    - oh. Hipster... In all seriousness though Angel and the Ape, amiright?

Yes, thank-you @playdohsrepublic. I wish we could pin your comment to the beginning.

Shorter version:
    True story - Superman is not boring, but Batman and Star Wars are, just because...
    I'm starting to think that the term "noob" was indeed inappropriate.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited April 2015
    I'm about to throw it out. Ya'll know me well enough here. Ghost Rider.
    Once popular and showed in more place than the punisher. He was even a member of the fantastic four.

Now he is so played out he's not even the butt of 90s comic jokes. But I love him even though no one else does.
  • Options
    "passive aggressive"
    "noob"

i can't apologize for being more comfortable rocking the boat and feeling the way i do

not gonna happen

Ultraforce
    The Shadow
    Catman
    G.I. Joe

that's just a few but they're all less popular than Batman, Justice League, and Avengers in the minds of the masses

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Darkhawk & Sleepwalker. Not really 'favorites,' but I feel they needed more then they got.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

Once popular and showed in more place than the punisher. He was even a member of the fantastic four.

Now he is so played out he's not even the butt of 90s comic jokes. But I love him even though no one else does.

No, I'm with you, man. Ghost Rider is awesome. I especially liked that time he fought that cheesy Spider-Man villain, the Tarantula.

• Options
    Who said you're rocking the boat? Are a mind-reader and therefore privy to them en-masse? Who asked you to apologize? Who's clicking insightful on every one one of your posts? How many times a day you say "mainstream" with a sneer?

I think everyone here likes characters that are less popular than the most popular characters. Its dumb to insinuate that we have a finite capacity for enjoying things and once we've met that quota we are no longer capable of pleasure.

Also... I don't like Batman.

Also, I'd pay extra for a Darkhawk ongoing.

• Options

Who said you're rocking the boat? Are a mind-reader and therefore privy to them en-masse? Who asked you to apologize? Who's clicking insightful on every one one of your posts? How many times a day you say "mainstream" with a sneer?

I think everyone here likes characters that are less popular than the most popular characters. Its dumb to insinuate that we have a finite capacity for enjoying things and once we've met that quota we are no longer capable of pleasure.

Also... I don't like Batman.

Also, I'd pay extra for a Darkhawk ongoing.

If you don't like Batman, then what does it mater?

Who are you White-Knight'ing around here?

• Options
    So Superman is not Boring, but Batman and Star Wars are. That about right?
  • Options

So Superman is not Boring, but Batman and Star Wars are. That about right?

I've already made clear who I like/dislike.

• Options
  • Options

Clear as mud.

That's neither here nor there to be honest.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

"passive aggressive"
    "noob"

i can't apologize for being more comfortable rocking the boat and feeling the way i do

not gonna happen

Ultraforce
    The Shadow
    Catman
    G.I. Joe

that's just a few but they're all less popular than Batman, Justice League, and Avengers in the minds of the masses

I feel like I'm caught in a Benjy Bronk-type vortex & should be pulling away from...

What boat are you rocking? That not everyone likes Batman, Justice League, & Avengers? That's not a revelation. Is it that some people like Batman, Justice League, & Avengers because they're fair weather fans? That's old news too. Is the boat you're "rocking" that you don't like those characters, nor Star Wars despite their popularity? If so, that's not a boat getting rocked, just a rubber ducky in a tub.

What does it matter if the masses like Batman, Avengers, JLA, & Star Wars? I'm not interested in the popular Harry Potter books & movies. I find the Beatles to be overrated, but I don't write an opus about it as I raise my rebel flag in defiance.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Well everything I like boils down to it being cool enough for me to like it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement, but I've never cared if a character or concept was 'cool' or not. If I liked it, I liked it; if I didn't, then I didn't.

I've liked and enjoyed Batman since I first discovered him decades ago, before the movies, before the TV show, even before the 'New Look' -- I just always found him interesting. I don't read the current crop of Batman books simply because I haven't enjoyed the current directions set up during the New52 revamp, but I still like the character.

But my likes and interests range throughout the entire comic book smorgasbord, including but not limited to the Big Two, and it's dictated by my interests, tastes and curiosity, and no one else's. (Although I'll always lend an ear to other's recommendations.)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    luke52 said:

hauberk said:

David_D said:

@TheHotWindBlowing Of course no one is immune to, or above criticism.

But, if you find yourself generalizing or criticizing about large groups of people (i.e. 'All Batman fans are like this or that') then it is about as accurate, or convincing, as any broad generalization.

I would be more interested in why you like what YOU like then what you think about the people who like something you don't. For a conversation about characters you like that aren't popular, like the one you started, to actually be focused on THOSE characters, and why YOU like them. Rather than just using it as another angle on saying 'screw Batman and The Avengers and here is what I know about the people that like those...'.

Because in the former you can actually speak about from an informed point of view. Your own. The latter you are just guessing. And why be so concerned about what is popular with other people? In a market where we have all these different Avengers and Batman books, we still get three monthly G.I. Joe titles set across two different eras of G.I. Joe. And at least one monthly TMNT book.

Other people can enjoy Batman and it doesn't have to take away the things you like, too. You know what I mean?

Well everything I like boils down to it being cool enough for me to like it.

Something about it NOT being Batman, Justice League, and Avengers makes it even more enjoyable for me.

I can see beyond those franchises.

I'd hate to live in a world where only a few exist.

How very hipster of you.
    Weird, that's what I was going to say.
    I remember when it was cool to call someone a hipster.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited April 2015
    popestu said:

The Heckler

Whoever awesomed this must be of high character, have many leather-bound books, and have an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

No, I'm with you, man. Ghost Rider is awesome. I especially liked that time he fought that cheesy Spider-Man villain, the Tarantula.

Where's the flaming horse?
  • Options
    Matt said:

"passive aggressive"
    "noob"

not gonna happen

Ultraforce
    The Shadow
    Catman
    G.I. Joe

I feel like I'm caught in a Benjy Bronk-type vortex & should be pulling away from...

What boat are you rocking? That not everyone likes Batman, Justice League, & Avengers? That's not a revelation. Is it that some people like Batman, Justice League, & Avengers because they're fair weather fans? That's old news too. Is the boat you're "rocking" that you don't like those characters, nor Star Wars despite their popularity? If so, that's not a boat getting rocked, just a rubber ducky in a tub.

What does it matter if the masses like Batman, Avengers, JLA, & Star Wars? I'm not interested in the popular Harry Potter books & movies. I find the Beatles to be overrated, but I don't write an opus about it as I raise my rebel flag in defiance.

M
    A little piece of me died when I read the words "Beatles" and "overrated" in the same sentence. Feel free to correct your typo anytime.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Matt said:

"passive aggressive"
    "noob"

not gonna happen

Ultraforce
    The Shadow
    Catman
    G.I. Joe

M
    A little piece of me died when I read the words "Beatles" and "overrated" in the same sentence. Feel free to correct your typo anytime.
    No. No. Nooooo! I've already survived the "Beatles are overrated" thread takeover once (poor poor "Movie News: Man of Steel"). I don't think I could take it a second time.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    So, is clicking the insightful button the new version of Dislike? @nweathington Dude, if that's the case, you may well be the most disliked person on the board.
  • Options
    popestu said:

mwhitt80 said:

When one fights the Tarantula, one does not need a flaming horse.

Words to live by.
  • Options

popestu said:

Matt said:

"passive aggressive"
    "noob"

not gonna happen

Ultraforce
    The Shadow
    Catman
    G.I. Joe

M
    No. No. Nooooo! I've already survived the "Beatles are overrated" thread takeover once (poor poor "Movie News: Man of Steel"). I don't think I could take it a second time.
    Did somebody say “Beatles”?
  • Options
    hauberk said:

So, is clicking the insightful button the new version of Dislike? @nweathington Dude, if that's the case, you may well be the most disliked person on the board.

It's true. Nobody likes me, everybody hates me. Think I'll go eat worms.
  • Options

popestu said:

mwhitt80 said:

When one fights the Tarantula, one does not need a flaming horse.

Words to live by.
    True that, brother, true that
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Well. That happened.

If anyone would like to talk more about Angel & The Ape, Ghost Rider, the Will Payton Starman (I loved that one, too), etc., maybe a thread that makes a fresh start. I think this one has sucked up enough hot air for one weekend.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Well. That happened.

If anyone would like to talk more about Angel & The Ape, Ghost Rider, the Will Payton Starman (I loved that one, too), etc., maybe a thread that makes a fresh start. I think this one has sucked up enough hot air for one weekend.

Dude, as someone who's been sick all weekend with a stomach virus, this was the most fun I could have had.

Oh, well, guess I'll pick up my toys and go home now.
  • Options
    If we're doing this thread for real now, can I say, I've loved The Maze Agency pretty much from the second I heard about it. Not an easy book to find back issues of.
  • Options

If we're doing this thread for real now, can I say, I've loved The Maze Agency pretty much from the second I heard about it. Not an easy book to find back issues of.

It's been collected a couple of times. Might be easier to find the trades. I picked one up for five bucks a couple of years ago just to get a couple of issues I didn't have.
  • Options

Again, The Heckler