Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I actually liked how Kent & Batman first met in Byrne's run. No fighting, but a creative way to make sure Kent didn't harm Batman.

Superman was a great guy, only a paranoid lunatic like the post-Miller/Byrne Batman would need to worry about being harmed.

;)
    Only, Batman isn't paranoid*. He probably read the short story "To Serve Man" & doesn't just foolishly accept situations that look to be beneficial.

M
    IT'S A COOKBOOK!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I actually liked how Kent & Batman first met in Byrne's run. No fighting, but a creative way to make sure Kent didn't harm Batman.

Superman was a great guy, only a paranoid lunatic like the post-Miller/Byrne Batman would need to worry about being harmed.

;)
    Only, Batman isn't paranoid*. He probably read the short story "To Serve Man" & doesn't just foolishly accept situations that look to be beneficial.

timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

*People seem to not understand that there's a difference between paranoia & preparation. Suddenly a whole organization of young boys have gone from "being prepared" to "being paranoid".

M
    Hey wait...

So Batman's a Boy Scout?

Batman?

I thought it was Superman who was constantly being dismissed as a Boy Scout.

Hmmm...

This changes everything!
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

;)

timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

*People seem to not understand that there's a difference between paranoia & preparation. Suddenly a whole organization of young boys have gone from "being prepared" to "being paranoid".

M
    Hey wait...

So Batman's a Boy Scout?

Batman?

I thought it was Superman who was constantly being dismissed as a Boy Scout.

Hmmm...

This changes everything!
    Just in deeds. Batman shares the motto of "Always Be Prepared." Hell, my second favorite Batman line in all the movies is "It helps if you're prepared." from World's Finest.

Believing Batman is paranoid when he's really just well prepared is like believing the guy who buys a snowblower, snow shovels, salt, canned goods & water, glo-sticks, batteries, & a generator in the early fall is paranoid.

M
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    A lesser known rejected motto for the Boy Scouts: “Just because you're well prepared doesn't mean you're not paranoid.”
  • I think I will pass on this movie, or at least wait until the future when they "colorize" it.
  • it's just another movie

just like Avengers

i'll wait until Netflix snags it

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Tonebone said:

I think I will pass on this movie, or at least wait until the future when they "colorize" it.

FTW!
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Some concerns about the state of the proposed DC movies...

https://games.yahoo.com/news/hollywood-reporter-exposes-faults-bedrock-210002636.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons&soc_trk=fb

Makes it sound like the higher-ups really don't have any idea of what they're doing.

Which comes as no real surprise...

https://games.yahoo.com/news/hollywood-reporter-exposes-faults-bedrock-210002636.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons&soc_trk=fb

Makes it sound like the higher-ups really don't have any idea of what they're doing.

As a comic book fan, I find this (if accurate) upsetting. As a guy who despises unfounded pedistals, I know several DC fanboys who'd hate for someone like me to rub it in their faces each time they call the MCU for children.

M
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited May 2015
    Well, if you were to judge by the audience that I saw this trailer with tonight at the Age of Ultron showing, then Batman V Superman is going to blow minds and make all the money in the world.

And, heck. Maybe it will. It was one of those moments when I am reminded that I am "in the bubble" of mostly talking about this with fellow comic super-fans.

(I will maintain, though, that even the mainstream audience weren't all "Yay!!" about Man of Steel. I think that goes beyond just the comic book fans. I think there is a reason why we are getting a Batman V Superman movie instead of a Man of Steel 2.)

But there was a lot of excitement and reaction when that trailer showed.
    David_D said:

Well, if you were to judge by the audience that I saw this trailer with tonight at the Age of Ultron showing, then Batman V Superman is going to blow minds and make all the money in the world.

And, heck. Maybe it will. It was one of those moments when I am reminded that I am "in the bubble" of mostly talking about this with fellow comic super-fans.

(I will maintain, though, that even the mainstream audience weren't all "Yay!!" about Man of Steel. I think that goes beyond just the comic book fans. I think there is a reason why we are getting a Batman V Superman movie instead of a Man of Steel 2.)

But there was a lot of excitement and reaction when that trailer showed.

There was near silence in response to the trailer at the showing I attended.

A touch of muttering and mumbling, but zero enthusiasm.

And this was a theaterful of serious comic fans.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

All very apparent for far too long. Has been sad but now Its become laughable how hopeless and clueless DC/WB is.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I just don't get the whole "hire multiple writers to write different scripts and take what you like from each" approach. I don't see how it's possible to come up with a coherent end product when you begin in such a manner. All you get is something like the first Transformers (and probably all the Transformers, but I'll never know, because I won't watch another one after suffering the first time): three or more movies with different tones competing in the same film.

And when you're trying to build a unified franchise, it's a terrible approach.

I imagine the films will at least be entertaining, but until I'm proven wrong I have a hard time believing they'll all pull together the way the Marvels films have.
    chrisw said:

I just don't get the whole "hire multiple writers to write different scripts and take what you like from each" approach. I don't see how it's possible to come up with a coherent end product when you begin in such a manner. All you get is something like the first Transformers (and probably all the Transformers, but I'll never know, because I won't watch another one after suffering the first time): three or more movies with different tones competing in the same film.

I imagine the films will at least be entertaining, but until I'm proven wrong I have a hard time believing they'll all pull together the way the Marvels films have.
    To me, it feels like "We have this property we want to exploit, but we have no idea how."
    chrisw said:

Didn't Bob Kane do the same?!

M
    Matt said:

chrisw said:

M
    No, he would hire multiple writers and then use all of it to meet his page quotas. He wouldn't hire five writers for one Batman script, use one, and throw out rest. That's closer to how Mort Weisinger would operate.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M
    No, he would hire multiple writers and then use all of it to meet his page quotas. He wouldn't hire five writers for one Batman script, use one, and throw out rest. That's closer to how Mort Weisinger would operate.
    The notion that the DC films are being run with the management style of Mort Weisinger sends chills down my spine.

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M
    Actually, I was making a joke about how Kane got credit for the final product for concepts created by others; such as Finger.

M
    Matt said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M
    Actually, I was making a joke about how Kane got credit for the final product for concepts created by others; such as Finger.

M
    Actually, I was making a joke too.

To be fair, Weisinger wouldn't hire five writer for the same script either. But he would sometimes take a story pitch from one writer, tell that writer he didn't like it, then turn around and tell another writer to write the story as if it was his idea.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M

M
    Truly, it can be said that in his rise to success, Kane never once raised a Finger.

Matt said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M

M
    Truly, it can be said that in his rise to success, Kane never once raised a Finger.
    That's a clever turn of phrase, but to be fair there was one interview (can't remember the source) where Kane gave Finger quite a bit of credit. I wouldn't be surprised if he refuted it later though.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Like most of the New 52 and most of Zack Snyder's work, DC appears to value style and flash over substance and storytelling.

Like most of the New 52 and most of Zack Snyder's work, DC appears to value style and flash over substance and storytelling.

I've never watched Style, so I can't say much about it, but Flash seems to be pretty popular, so why wouldn't they value it?
  • luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Matt said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

M

M
    That's a clever turn of phrase, but to be fair there was one interview (can't remember the source) where Kane gave Finger quite a bit of credit. I wouldn't be surprised if he refuted it later though.
    From Wikipedia:
    "According to Kane, "Bill Finger was a contributing force on Batman right from the beginning. He wrote most of the great stories and was influential in setting the style and genre other writers would emulate ... I made Batman a superhero-vigilante when I first created him. Bill turned him into a scientific detective.[13]" Kane, Andrae, p. 43
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I've never watched Style, so I can't say much about it, but Flash seems to be pretty popular, so why wouldn't they value it?
    Heh-heh. I'll play along.

I've wondered the same thing since they announced a Flash movie starring a different Flash actor than the guy that currently stars on their hit show. Imagine if Marvel had done that with the Hulk while Bixby and Ferrigno were doing the TV show. Ridiculous.

Heh-heh. I'll play along.

I've wondered the same thing since they announced a Flash movie starring a different Flash actor than the guy that currently stars on their hit show. Imagine if Marvel had done that with the Hulk while Bixby and Ferrigno were doing the TV show. Ridiculous.
    Right.

Because nobody ever understood why Batman was animated in a half-dozen different styles on TV while played by a whole succession of different guys in the movies over the last 30 years.

"How can that all be the same character?

Oh, our poor, mundane brains!"

:D
    edited May 2015
    How can "they" possibly understand that Sherlock Holmes is Robert Downey Jr, AND Benedict Cumberbatch AND Jonny Lee Miller?

Ridiculous.

:-/