Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

Why should mothers be compelled to lug towels around just because some people are prudes?

Because boobies make me feel funny.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

I really don't give two shakes of a willow branch about breast feeding in public. However, I'm very tired of these "pro" images with women mugging a camera with a baby hanger off of her teet.

Sure. But sometimes it takes some provocation to get the attention/ get the conversation going so that a happy medium-- between accommodation for public breastfeeding and the comfort of others-- to be found. When a good balance is found, then there won't be the same need for the provocative images.
    The discomfort of others shouldn't even enter into it.
    We've been out as a family and we've had to steer my 8 year old son's attention away from an uncovered woman breastfeeding. As parents who chose not to expose our young children to adult nudity I find it agrivating that we now have to deal with people too lazy to lay a towel over themselves.
    Why should mothers be compelled to lug towels around just because some people are prudes?
    Yeah!! Why should men be bothered to use stalls or bathrooms when you can whip it out an piss anywhere!? Um...

Modesty is not a bad thing.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited May 2015

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

I really don't give two shakes of a willow branch about breast feeding in public. However, I'm very tired of these "pro" images with women mugging a camera with a baby hanger off of her teet.

Sure. But sometimes it takes some provocation to get the attention/ get the conversation going so that a happy medium-- between accommodation for public breastfeeding and the comfort of others-- to be found. When a good balance is found, then there won't be the same need for the provocative images.
    We've been out as a family and we've had to steer my 8 year old son's attention away from an uncovered woman breastfeeding. As parents who chose not to expose our young children to adult nudity I find it agrivating that we now have to deal with people too lazy to lay a towel over themselves.
    Yeah!! Why should men be bothered to use stalls or bathrooms when you can whip it out an piss anywhere!? Um...

I would call that a false equivalency.

Whatever your personal feelings on breastfeeding, I think we can agree that nursing does not equate to excreting waste, at least from a historical point of view. Across human history and culture those two acts have been handled very differently.

• Options
    Also, I would add the value judgment words like "lazy" or "prude" are probably not going to move this conversation forward in a good way. (Though happy to be proven wrong on that).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    David_D said:

rebis said:

IMO, the only accommodation required is discretion on the part of those involved. I don't like the image because it's not about public breastfeeding. The baby is a prop. It's about the model looking good.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

Sanitation is a nice thing.

If you can't grasp the difference between eating and excreting, I never want to break bread with you...
  • Options
    David_D said:

Also, I would add the value judgment words like "lazy" or "prude" are probably not going to move this conversation forward in a good way. (Though happy to be proven wrong on that).

"Prude: a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity."

Vocabulary, not value judgement.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

"Prude: a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity." (ant. Torchsong)

FIFY
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

"Prude: a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity." (ant. Torchsong)

FIFY
    I had to Google "FIFY".
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

FIFY
    I had to Google "FIFY".
    me too.

freakin kids.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

FIFY
    I had to Google "FIFY".
    I'm not going to judge you on that. I only figured it out after noticing the bolded addition to the quote.

Edit: BTW, FWIW I hate initializing. LOL
  • Options
    You can all go EABOD

:)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

You can all go EABOD

Eat a big ol’ doughnut? Thanks! I will!
  • Options
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

You can all go EABOD

Dammit.

You know I'm dieting!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Torchsong said:

You can all go EABOD

EABOD?
    That's MODOK's sidekick, correct?

Explosives. Arsenal. Bent. On. Destruction.
  • Options
    I thought it was who Harrison Wells turned out to be on The Flash show...

...y'know...Eabod Thawne?

*cymbal crash*

Hey! Wocka-wocka-wocka!!!
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I thought it was who Harrison Wells turned out to be on The Flash show...

...y'know...Eabod Thawne?

*cymbal crash*

Hey! Wocka-wocka-wocka!!!

^:)^
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

Torchsong said:

You can all go EABOD

Eat a big ol’ doughnut? Thanks! I will!
    I'm still trying to lower my bloodpressure and you' re telling me to eat a donut. You're not my friend at TS.
  • Options
    My daughter might be squirrel girl. She packs her cheeks full of cheerios until she can't she fit any more in her mouth.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    David_D said:

Whatever your personal feelings on breastfeeding, I think we can agree that nursing does not equate to excreting waste, at least from a historical point of view. Across human history and culture those two acts have been handled very differently.

The subject was modesty, not eating or excreting waste. My example of open air pissing is the only male gender equivalent I could conjure up. Besides, I didn't think open-air adjustments would qualify. As to breast-feeding in public, it isn't as though there aren't options. They make actual garments specifically for covering the procedure for just such occasions that the mother is compelled to breast feed in public. The mom could also feed the child at home, or use a breast pump so that there is a bottle handy if the lad gets hungry inconveniently.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I don't stare, and I'm not disturbed whenever I see it. but sometime modesty can be very useful so as not upset others and preserve societal norms. There are pervs who might get the wrong idea and act inappropriately and small children usually can't help but stare and make things a bit awkward. Isn't it impolite to stare at others while they're eating? Not to mention that there are more than a few middle eastern countries that would severely punish the mother for such a practice in public.

As for the model on the cover with a baby pressed against her boob in the magazine cover, it just seems a bit gauche, don't you think?
  • Options

David_D said:

The subject was modesty, not eating or excreting waste. My example of open air pissing is the only male gender equivalent I could conjure up. Besides, I didn't think open-air adjustments would qualify. As to breast-feeding in public, it isn't as though there aren't options. They make actual garments specifically for covering the procedure for just such occasions that the mother is compelled to breast feed in public. The mom could also feed the child at home, or use a breast pump so that there is a bottle handy if the lad gets hungry inconveniently.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I don't stare, and I'm not disturbed whenever I see it. but sometime modesty can be very useful so as not upset others and preserve societal norms. There are pervs who might get the wrong idea and act inappropriately and small children usually can't help but stare and make things a bit awkward. Isn't it impolite to stare at others while they're eating? Not to mention that there are more than a few middle eastern countries that would severely punish the mother for such a practice in public.

As for the model on the cover with a baby pressed against her boob in the magazine cover, it just seems a bit gauche, don't you think?
    I think bringing up the way women are treated in those countries are exactly why the idea of what is or isn't modest- historically determined by men for women- can be so damaging to a culture.

Personally, I think some of the societal norms being continued in this country that a mother nursing a child is an explicit act, sure to be sexialized by onlookers, actually has more in common with enforcing that woman cover their heads or whole bodies for modesty than some would like to admit.

It's a baby eating. If an onlooker chooses to make it something else, that is on them.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    In depth conversation on breast feeding is one of the many things that sets this forum apart from other comic book forums. 8->
  • Options
    Capshazam ftw.
  • Options

In depth conversation on breast feeding is one of the many things that sets this forum apart from other comic book forums. 8->

Agreed.
    David_D said:

I think bringing up the way women are treated in those countries are exactly why the idea of what is or isn't modest- historically determined by men for women- can be so damaging to a culture.

Personally, I think some of the societal norms being continued in this country that a mother nursing a child is an explicit act, sure to be sexialized by onlookers, actually has more in common with enforcing that woman cover their heads or whole bodies for modesty than some would like to admit.

I expected that response from some here, so I figured it was certainly worth noting. You might be surprised to know that I mostly agree with you. I was also in the camp that was upset that anyone blamed CharlieHedbo for the terrorist attacks they suffered. They had every right to be provocative, even a mission to be so. Breast feeding, not so much. I recommend those women cover up at every opportunity - strictly for self-preservation.

No answer to query this though?
  • Options

My example of open air pissing is the only male gender equivalent I could conjure up.

I think Dr. Freud would find that very interesting...
  • Options

As to breast-feeding in public, it isn't as though there aren't options. They make actual garments specifically for covering the procedure for just such occasions that the mother is compelled to breast feed in public. The mom could also feed the child at home, or use a breast pump so that there is a bottle handy if the lad gets hungry inconveniently.

They make burkas, too.
  • Options
    So you're comparing nursing-covers to burkas? I think if a woman wants to be modest and discreet, she ought to do so and not be shamed into exposing her breast in public. But if she prefers to let it all hang out, it's illegal to tell a breastfeeding mother to cover up, so more power to her.

And if I need to take a pee and go to the back of a building to do so, cut me some slack.

It's the magazine cover that comes across as gauche.
  • Options

So you're comparing nursing-covers to burkas?

No, I think you're doing a fine job of that yourself.
  • Options

And if I need to take a pee and go to the back of a building to do so, cut me some slack.