Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

How is it that I've never seen Bye Bye Birdie?

Because it's a mediocre movie at best. All downhill after the opening credits. One man's opinion.
    An opinion that I agree with.
    The story just doesn't hold up against some very good songs. Oh well. At least we've got the opening credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3cBTb3xPc
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    popestu said:

Although I agree about NJ (I'm from Queens and currently live in Smithtown), the Frank Zappa quote I referenced uses Long Island. No offense was meant (beyond Zappas intended offense) @playdohsrepublic

Lol I was just having a little fun. So if you're in Smithtown do you go to 4th World?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

rebis said:

How is it that I've never seen Bye Bye Birdie?

Because it's a mediocre movie at best. All downhill after the opening credits. One man's opinion.
    Agreed. The film epitomizes all the worst qualities of a musical... at least, what I considered to be the worst qualities: nice, singable tunes strung together by a weak, bland story and lame jokes. Even performances by quality talent like Dick Van Dyke and Paul Lynde couldn't save this turkey.

On the other hand, I could watch Ann Margaret singing the title song in the credits all day long.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

On the other hand, I could watch Ann Margaret singing the title song in the credits all day long.

I could watch Ann Margaret read the classified ads all day long.

To Julie Newmar.

Taking a bath with each other.

In $240 worth'a puddin'.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Geez getting started saltwater flyfishing is going to break me. I should start using coke instead it has to be cheaper
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    popestu said:

Although I agree about NJ (I'm from Queens and currently live in Smithtown), the Frank Zappa quote I referenced uses Long Island. No offense was meant (beyond Zappas intended offense) @playdohsrepublic

By the way, Zappa's Intended Offense is the name of my new dance crew.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I could watch Ann Margaret read the classified ads all day long.

To Julie Newmar.

Taking a bath with each other.

In $240 worth'a puddin'.

whoa, Whoa, WHOA.
    I don't need that image in my mind. I'm trying to work, here.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

mwhitt80 said:

I love the comic strip Lio.

One of the few really good strips being produced today. I like to think that Lio is Wednesday Addams’ son, and she died in some fittingly gruesome way when he was two.
    I have a judge parker addiction. I've missed this week's strips and had to go back and read them. Fortunately I read the ajc digitaly so it wasn't a real problem.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    David_D said:

popestu said:

By the way, Zappa's Intended Offense is the name of my new dance crew.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

I love the comic strip Lio.

One of the few really good strips being produced today. I like to think that Lio is Wednesday Addams’ son, and she died in some fittingly gruesome way when he was two.
    I have a judge parker addiction. I've missed this week's strips and had to go back and read them. Fortunately I read the ajc digitaly so it wasn't a real problem.
    MIke Manley is a very good friend of mine, so I generally read it on his FB feed.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    popestu said:

I remember owning this toy as a kid. It rocked. In would love to have one now. It would take no space on my statue shelf
  • Options
    That pro-normalizing-breastfeeding Elle magazine cover that is trending and people are buzzing about today?

Pshaw-- a comic was ahead on this years ago.

And, in comics, the mother even gets a laser gun. (And the baby doesn't have to be cold.)

• Options
    I really don't give two shakes of a willow branch about breast feeding in public. However, I'm very tired of these "pro" images with women mugging a camera with a baby hanger off of her teet.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Breastfeeding in public is one thing..breastfeeding in public with your tit hanging out is another. My wife, sister, aunt all breastfed in public and they all laid a small blanket or towel over themselves and their babies. What's this need to expose yourself? Is modesty dead?
  • Options
    And yet when I do it I'm asked to leave the mall or arrested.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I really don't give two shakes of a willow branch about breast feeding in public. However, I'm very tired of these "pro" images with women mugging a camera with a baby hanger off of her teet.

Sure. But sometimes it takes some provocation to get the attention/ get the conversation going so that a happy medium-- between accommodation for public breastfeeding and the comfort of others-- to be found. When a good balance is found, then there won't be the same need for the provocative images.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Breastfeeding in public is one thing..breastfeeding in public with your tit hanging out is another. My wife, sister, aunt all breastfed in public and they all laid a small blanket or towel over themselves and their babies. What's this need to expose yourself? Is modesty dead?

Why did this ever become something women should have to be modest about?
  • Options
    David_D said:

rebis said:

Sure. But sometimes it takes some provocation to get the attention/ get the conversation going so that a happy medium-- between accommodation for public breastfeeding and the comfort of others-- to be found. When a good balance is found, then there won't be the same need for the provocative images.
    The discomfort of others shouldn't even enter into it.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Why did women ever start to think exposing themselves in public was OK?

• Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

We've been out as a family and we've had to steer my 8 year old son's attention away from an uncovered woman breastfeeding. As parents who chose not to expose our young children to adult nudity I find it agrivating that we now have to deal with people too lazy to lay a towel over themselves.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Why did women ever start to think exposing themselves in public was OK?
    Oh, about the time the mammary gland was evolved.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

We've been out as a family and we've had to steer my 8 year old son's attention away from an uncovered woman breastfeeding. As parents who chose not to expose our young children to adult nudity I find it agrivating that we now have to deal with people too lazy to lay a towel over themselves.
    Why should mothers be compelled to lug towels around just because some people are prudes?
  • Options
    Averting your eyes and being shocked by it has never really been the solution. I find it easier to just let them do what comes natural between a mother and child...

...and watch...

...intently...

...helps if you have popcorn...

...and if they get offended and ask what you're doing, simply respond with "I'm simply enjoying watching the miracle of a mother and her child communing in the way nature has intended. Praise Gaia we live in such an enlightened society that allows us both to express our appreciation of it, don't you think?"

Then go back to staring and eating your popcorn.

They won't be back.

(Neither will you, of course...they'll probably ban you from that particular establishment...)
  • Options
    Bonus points if you can make a little curl of sweat form on your upper lip while you watch. :)