Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Apocalypse

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    The Wolverine was a big improvement over the X-men:Origins fiasco but I felt it had some plot holes. If the whole point is for bad grandpa to lure Wolverine to Japan to steal his powers the whole movie is a real haphazard, lackadaisical way of getting to the goal. It is like the movie happens and then somebody goes, "oh crap we need a surprise twist or climax or, you know a point". And the power sucking bit is tagged on the end. Having said that the actions sequences were good and I dug the Nagasaki opening bit. Like I said much better than the first one but still not great.

The angelic tattoos or scarring for Kurt seem to me to take the moral compass of the x-men and reduce him to a self-mutilating fanatic. Storm asks how many he has & he replies,"one for every sin, so quite a few". Now honestly I can't tell if that means every one of HIS sins or every sin ever or the seven deadly sins or whatever. In any case I get the impression they are his private self punishment for imperfection. That makes my favorite character a real unstable nut job (that's the technical term I believe).
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015
    random73 said:

The Wolverine was a big improvement over the X-men:Origins fiasco but I felt it had some plot holes. If the whole point is for bad grandpa to lure Wolverine to Japan to steal his powers the whole movie is a real haphazard, lackadaisical way of getting to the goal. It is like the movie happens and then somebody goes, "oh crap we need a surprise twist or climax or, you know a point". And the power sucking bit is tagged on the end. Having said that the actions sequences were good and I dug the Nagasaki opening bit. Like I said much better than the first one but still not great.

The angelic tattoos or scarring for Kurt seem to me to take the moral compass of the x-men and reduce him to a self-mutilating fanatic. Storm asks how many he has & he replies,"one for every sin, so quite a few". Now honestly I can't tell if that means every one of HIS sins or every sin ever or the seven deadly sins or whatever. In any case I get the impression they are his private self punishment for imperfection. That makes my favorite character a real unstable nut job (that's the technical term I believe).

It's definitely not an original idea or diabolical plan. The "Out of the Past" episode of Batman Beyond used essentially to same plot. Sometimes you need to build to the key moment instead of jumping to the endgame.

I interpreted it as his sins. Unstable nutjob? Possibly. I interpreted it as someone very passionate about his religion & its teachings. To some extent, that would mean the Jesus Christ character was an "unstable nutjob". Sure he didn't scar himself, but he was described as having powers (making him different), & ultimately dying for sins (his & the rest of humanity).

People with a deformity who view themselves as imperfect & monsters, who isolate themselves aren't unstable nutjobs. Sure it's not self mutilation, but it's certainly not a good thing.

M
  • Options
    I'm not aware of any catholic teaching that advocates or encourages self-mutilation. I interpreted it as his own sins as well. It felt to me like it was written by a non-religious person imagining what faith must look like. (I don't know anything about the actual writer I'm just saying it felt that way to me)....how do we communicate a deep abiding faith? I know! Have him carve himself up! Religious people do that right!? Guys?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    random73 said:

I'm not aware of any catholic teaching that advocates or encourages self-mutilation. I interpreted it as his own sins as well. It felt to me like it was written by a non-religious person imagining what faith must look like. (I don't know anything about the actual writer I'm just saying it felt that way to me)....how do we communicate a deep abiding faith? I know! Have him carve himself up! Religious people do that right!? Guys?

He probably saw “The Da Vinci Code” which features Opus Dei, a zealous Roman Catholic order that practices “corporal mortification,” voluntarily punishing one’s body as a spiritual discipline. While it seems odious nowadays, it was used by Francis of Assisi, England’s Thomas More, Jesuit founder Ignatius Loyola and Jerome, the man who translated the Latin Bible.

Today, Opus Dei advocates it for lay members in everyday life. An Opus Dei priest in St. Louis defends mortification via two methods - a sharp chain worn around the leg, or a small whip of knots applied to the back. The intent is for the believer to identify with Jesus’s sufferings. Even though Jesus provided no example or commands for self-abuse of the body; his punishments were inflicted upon him by others.

Pretty weird.
  • Options
    Newsflash: Bryan Singer has said there are potentially plans for a Marvel crossover between the ‘X-Men’ and ‘Fantastic Four’. Source: Yahoo! Movies
  • Options
    random73 said:

I am not familiar with any that advocate imposing the practices onto others, but between the Crusades & the 10-15 minutes I go all "Harry-Dunn to Freda Felcher" when I don't response "yes" to "do you believe in God" by someone, implies otherwise.

Also, I recommend watching Angels & Demons. There's a character with a similar affliction.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

I am not familiar with any that advocate imposing the practices onto others, but between the Crusades & the 10-15 minutes I go all "Harry-Dunn to Freda Felcher" when I don't response "yes" to "do you believe in God" by someone, implies otherwise.

Also, I recommend watching Angels & Demons. There's a character with a similar affliction.

M
    I don't get the Harry Dunn reference. Actually, I'm not sure I track any of that whole first run-on sentence disguised as a paragraph. Somebody tried to make you feel bad about being an atheist once? So, all people of faith impose their will? And you should flog yourself with a whip?

Are we still talking about xmen?

In the same way that I feel this conversation has taken a weird turn. I feel like nightcrawlers tattoos take the character into a weird dark place.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    I don't get the Harry Dunn reference. Actually, I'm not sure I track any of that whole first run-on sentence disguised as a paragraph. Somebody tried to make you feel bad about being an atheist once? So, all people of faith impose their will? And you should flog yourself with a whip?

Are we still talking about xmen?

In the same way that I feel this conversation has taken a weird turn. I feel like nightcrawlers tattoos take the character into a weird dark place.
    It wasn't disguise, it was a straight up run on sentence. Only, I never stated I was an atheist, just that any answer other then "yes," has me not pay attention during the forthcoming sermon. Like Harry mentioned to Lloyd regarding Freda Felcher.

http://youtu.be/_T7hSBRkvmw

I also never stated "all people...". It's not in the bible, but that doesn't stop people from interpreting it that way. Just like self-mutilation with Wagner.

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Matt said:

random73 said:

I recommend reading Angels & Demons.

• Options

Matt said:

random73 said:

I'm using a specific character as presented in the movie. That's why I recommended the viewing.

M
  • Options

Matt said:

random73 said:

I've read and watched it. Meh.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Matt said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

I'm using a specific character as presented in the movie. That's why I recommended the viewing.

M
    I've only watched it once, and only read it once, but the reading was more meaningful. I loved the ambigrams that were illustrated in it, and on the cover, and tried my hand at a few of my own creation. So in not remembering, I'm curious which character? A brand new character for the movie, or one of the different interpretations? (Differences)
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    I've only watched it once, and only read it once, but the reading was more meaningful. I loved the ambigrams that were illustrated in it, and on the cover, and tried my hand at a few of my own creation. So in not remembering, I'm curious which character? A brand new character for the movie, or one of the different interpretations? (Differences)
    I've never read the novels. Aside from rereading my favorite novel, I mostly only read books pertaining to the field of investigations.

Doing some research, it looks as though I was referencing Silas from The Da Vinci Code, not a character in Angels & Demons.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I am looking forward to Singer being gone. I'm not the biggest fan of First Class, but one thing I liked was that it wasn't afraid of the comic book elements. I've seen a few pics suggesting this one is back to the old solid black for the X Men, maybe with some Batman style armor.

But, at least Magneto won't be the villain (again). At least I hope not. In all non wolverine movies, at the end of the day, the villain has been magneto. We got completely cheated out of XMen vs Sentinals because Magneto was the villain.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    The whole future plot line was X-Men vs Sentinels.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm totally up for new everything regarding the X movie universe. Not that I have anything major against the projects or people involved to date nec. It's just time imo.
  • Options
    I concur. Once this & Old Man Logan wraps with Jackman, I'm out. I'm sticking to the MCU for Marvel movies after that.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    RepoMan said:

The whole future plot line was X-Men vs Sentinels.

Ok true.
  • Options
    So, here is Archangel (on the right).

Does this imply that his helmet or head gear is all going to be CGI?
  • Options

So, here is Archangel (on the right).

Does this imply that his helmet or head gear is all going to be CGI?

I'd bet they're taking the Iron Man approach, and having the helmet in place only during fight scenes, and it will collapse into the costume when not needed—maybe a physical headpiece with a CGI transition? Either that or no helmet at all.
  • Options
    This looks to be the most super-hero-ish of all the X-films!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited December 2015
    that wasnt half bad... given my dislike for Singer

https://youtu.be/COvnHv42T-A

i'm glad to see Jennifer Lawrence without blue skin and having more of a role in this one?

• Options
    I kind of like her better in blue
  • Options
    Would you be more surprised if Logan does make a cameo or doesn't make a cameo?

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The first word that popped into my head while watching this was "goofy." I really enjoyed First Class and DoFP so I'm holding out hope that it turns out to be great.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Not a great trailer, but I will certainly see the movie.

Man. X-Men villains really hate bridges, don't they?
  • Options
    I can make the obvious comment about how I'd like to see Jennifer Lawrence, but I'll pass. I will comment how peculiar it is all of her scenes (at least the ones I caught) she's in a Caucasian appearance. Wonder if that's to prevent her from being recognized following DofP, her shunning the "mutant and proud" mantra...or JLaw's current celebrity status & not wanting the smurf treatment again.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Man. X-Men villains really hate bridges, don't they?

Kind of like Avengers villains like aerial attacks?

M
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Matt said:

Would you be more surprised if Logan does make a cameo or doesn't make a cameo?

M

I would be very surprised if Logan is absent from this film

This trailer is a mess, but as I recall, the previous X-Men prequels had bad marketing too. Maybe that's all that's happening here. Maybe the actual movie will be much more impressive. Maybe, like DoFP, I will catch this on home rental.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Timeline-wise it'd be interesting to see how they work Logan back into this one, if they did at all...he's back in the fixed timeline where Cyke and Jean aren't dead. Of course there is a Logan running around but he'd told Xavier to Fuck off and wouldn't join the...aw hell, if there's money they'll work him in there! :)

I liked the trailer for this, and I'm not a big Apocalypse fan. I think it'll be another strong entry in the X-line.