Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

I think they've had about 12 hours to fix this error, and several comments to fix it, since it is an online news outlet. A simple online edit, by the writer, or the webmaster, is all that would be required.

No correction so far.

#YouHadOneJob

To be quite honest, most wire stories that go out on newspaper websites rarely get corrected. Something this egregious should be, of course, and it would be at some newspapers, but not much time is devoted to online wire stories like this. The editors are much more concerned with the print edition and any local content, and they are already overburdened. Whoever wrote the headline is too busy checking the wire and getting the next story online. The webmaster is only concerned with making sure everything is working properly. The simple fact is that wire stories that will quickly cycle out tend to be ignored once they're released. Newspapers no longer have the man-power to do everything they should.
    OTOH, this typo has probably generated more clicks in a few hours than they usually get in a month.
    True! Perhaps they are getting a lot of monetized page views...
  • Options

WetRats said:

I think they've had about 12 hours to fix this error, and several comments to fix it, since it is an online news outlet. A simple online edit, by the writer, or the webmaster, is all that would be required.

No correction so far.

#YouHadOneJob

To be quite honest, most wire stories that go out on newspaper websites rarely get corrected. Something this egregious should be, of course, and it would be at some newspapers, but not much time is devoted to online wire stories like this. The editors are much more concerned with the print edition and any local content, and they are already overburdened. Whoever wrote the headline is too busy checking the wire and getting the next story online. The webmaster is only concerned with making sure everything is working properly. The simple fact is that wire stories that will quickly cycle out tend to be ignored once they're released. Newspapers no longer have the man-power to do everything they should.
    OTOH, this typo has probably generated more clicks in a few hours than they usually get in a month.
    True! Perhaps they are getting a lot of monetized page views...
    Depends on how they do it, but my paper charges a flat fee of $25 for an ad to run online for 30 days. The ad follows the visitor from page to page. So they don't get paid by the click, though obviously the more clicks they get each month, the more they can charge for the ads.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I've been catching up on the art of wrestling podcast. Colt Cabana has some really great interviews.

Who would have guessed Disco Inferno would have been that interesting? He gave a really different view of wcw/Kevin Nash/the last days of Nitro.
  • Options
    Became friends awhile back with a guy in town who is an avid comic collector. We were talking about DC and I told him I've tried a few titles over the last couple of years, but very few of them grabbed me and so I'm still primarily a Marvel guy. Told him I really love the DC characters and Universe and would love to find some great DC material to read. He recommends I borrow either Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central run or Grant Morrison's JLA run from him. Any thoughts on these 2 series?
  • Options

Became friends awhile back with a guy in town who is an avid comic collector. We were talking about DC and I told him I've tried a few titles over the last couple of years, but very few of them grabbed me and so I'm still primarily a Marvel guy. Told him I really love the DC characters and Universe and would love to find some great DC material to read. He recommends I borrow either Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central run or Grant Morrison's JLA run from him. Any thoughts on these 2 series?

Both are very good and very different from each other. Gotham Central is very street level, more Hill Street Blues than Batman. JLA is probably the best Justice League ever done, outside of maybe the bwah-ha-ha JL. Suitably powerful villains, serious stories which still maintain a sense of awe and wonder and fun, and great character interactions.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Finally an article dealing with my favorite mixer of the mid 2000s Hpnotiq.
    I used to love drinking an Incredible Hulk (Smurf juice and Cognac) during my college/early post-college years.
    Tips for drinking Hpno.
    1) If you are over 25 stop it. You are too old to be drinking that fruity crap.
    2) Drink cold (do not put in your freezer because the fruit drink will freeze but not the liquor)
    3) Always drink while listening to mid 2000s rap music (Camron, Twista, Ludacris, you know the staples)

Sometimes I miss those days, but then I remember I used to mix browns with colas instead of water. I was stupid.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I used to love drinking an Incredible Hulk (Smurf juice and Cognac) during my college/early post-college years.
    Tips for drinking Hpno.
    2) Drink cold (do not put in your freezer because the fruit drink will freeze but not the liquor)
    3) Always drink while listening to mid 2000s rap music (Camron, Twista, Ludacris, you know the staples)

Sometimes I miss those days, but then I remember I used to mix browns with colas instead of water. I was stupid.

I'm sorry, what were you saying? All I heard was something about the Hulk popping the heads off of Smurfs and squeezing their innards into a drink.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Tips for drinking Hpno.

I'm sorry, what were you saying? All I heard was something about the Hulk popping the heads off of Smurfs and squeezing their innards into a drink.
    When my daughter has to take amoxicillin (pink gooey antibiotic for those without kids prone to get ear infections) I call it Smurf guts. She hates it, but I learned she can be distracted enough if you make up a song about Smurf guts (and the smurfs that went into making it).
    Moral of the story: I've learned the names of most of the TV smurfs so that I can rhyme lyrics on how they were squished.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited September 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Tips for drinking Hpno.

When my daughter has to take amoxicillin (pink gooey antibiotic for those without kids prone to get ear infections) I call it Smurf guts. She hates it, but I learned she can be distracted enough if you make up a song about Smurf guts (and the smurfs that went into making it).
    Moral of the story: I've learned the names of most of the TV smurfs so that I can rhyme lyrics on how they were squished.
    1. That's some strong Dad-Fu

2. Have you and your daughter seen that Unicef ad from Belgium? You're gonna love it.

(TRIGGER WARNINGS-- Horrors of war, Belgians.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa782wOrUVM
  • Options
    How do I embed YouTube vids? I feel like an old man asking.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Should just copy the link and paste it here. No special embedding code needed.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The Mets clinched the NL East. What new spore of madness is this? The Mets... The Mets!

Even in a weak division... The Mets!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Every so often I'll check my spam folder to make sure nothing important has fallen in there. I'm always amazed at what a filthy place that folder is.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I just finished reading Final Crisis for the first time... I have no idea what happened or what it was really about.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    luke52 said:

I just finished reading Final Crisis for the first time... I have no idea what happened or what it was really about.

Yeah. It starts one direction and then ends up someplace really different.
    Did you read Superman Beyond? I think that's an essential part of the story.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

You need to listen to the CGS podcasts. Murd and Julian Lytle do a masterful job summing up the series.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I've been catching Isis on PB&J. It's probably just me, but I prefer JoAnna Cameron as the frumpy science teacher.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

You need to listen to the CGS podcasts. Murd and Julian Lytle do a masterful job summing up the series.
    I'll have to dig the episode out and give it a listen. Thanks.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

I'll have to dig the episode out and give it a listen. Thanks.
    Downloaded and listened to a couple of these episodes today. Particularly nice to hear @JamieD again.
  • Options
    I do not get the appeal of Josh Groban.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    rebis said:

I do not get the appeal of Josh Groban.

I am glad Miss Piggy came to her senses regarding him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    So Hurricane Joaquin is predicted to make landfall somewhere in the NC/Virginia coastline (these guys have been awful at predicting paths/strength the last few years). Which brings up a scary fact, we are in danger of having a real life Sharknado.
    What was the summer story? Sharks on the rampage in NC. Now they will get the chance to eat all the land dwellers, who refused to go swimming.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Bill Simmons is back podcasting with 2 episodes.

I know this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been reading Simmons since he first started at ".com". ESPN was a fledgling website and Page 2 was "fire".
    Remember Hunter S Thompson's incredible 911 column, or the terrible 24 College Ave (its in flash so yeah, and that's all I can find of it any more) by Jim Caple and illustrated by Howard Chaykin?
    The internet was fun back in the early/mid 2000s.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    For @torchsong. Sorry TS

I saw this picture today and thought about you
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    mwhitt80 said:

Bill Simmons is back podcasting with 2 episodes.

I know this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been reading Simmons since he first started at ".com". ESPN was a fledgling website and Page 2 was "fire".
    Remember Hunter S Thompson's incredible 911 column, or the terrible 24 College Ave (its in flash so yeah, and that's all I can find of it any more) by Jim Caple and illustrated by Howard Chaykin?
    The internet was fun back in the early/mid 2000s.

It was good to hear him back. He's made comments about ESPN, but I don't think we've heard nothing yet

• Options
    Oooph well the Bulldawgs were on the butt end of a butt kicking.
    The Falcons did OK and the NBA is starting soon. So I have something to pay attention to.