Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    bamfbamf said:

r mundane real world issues like illegal immigration even worth tackling in a universe where Reed Richards can cure world hunger?

i understand having homo sexual superheros and heroes of color... but not sure tackling the deficit or tax system or universal healthcare makes much sense...

Sure, why not?

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

bring this concept back!!

My son is a history buff. He's double-majoring in Biology and History in fact. He's very interested in, among other topics, Cold War USSR, and he's been trying to pick up all the SSS appearances. He'd love it if they were brought back.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited October 2015

My son is a history buff. He's double-majoring in Biology and History in fact. He's very interested in, among other topics, Cold War USSR, and he's been trying to pick up all the SSS appearances. He'd love it if they were brought back.

He's not the only one! I would buy the hell out of a SSS book.
    Even better with Angel Medina artwork (maybe they could team-up with Blackwulf)!
    Still waiting for that "All-New Blackwulf" announcement...

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The 90s have so much to answer for... :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Hex said:

Even better with Angel Medina artwork (maybe they could team-up with Blackwulf)!

Sadly I have that book... And the cover is still awesome to the 12 year old me.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited October 2015
    "Hmm... Did those immigrant parents sneak in through Ellis Island illegally and balk at assimilation?"

Ahhh there it is. I love when the coded generalizations come out.

And here's the thing - regardless of how Cap's parents came through (there's no proof one way or the other), the Cap that's been portrayed over the years would give benefit of the doubt that anyone trying to get into the country is doing so for good reasons, for the promise this country likes to rah rah promote. In other words, he has more compassion than those with so-called "all-american" values and such.

It's the Ultimate Cap you have to look out for. :lol:
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

Hex said:

The only "Sadly" thing about Blackwulf was the day it was cancelled! Your 12 year-old self knew awesome comics when he saw them!

Seriously Marvel... "All-New Blackwulf". Goldmine.
    I don't know what Angel Medina is up to these days, but you should give him a call.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hex said:

mwhitt80 said:

Hex said:

The only "Sadly" thing about Blackwulf was the day it was cancelled! You're 12 year-old self knew awesome comics when he saw them!

Seriously Marvel... "All-New Blackwulf". Goldmine.
    I don't know what Angel Medina is up to these days, but you should give him a call.
    Plus... All-New Blackwulf would finally be black.
  • Options
    Hex said:

He still does a bunch of conventions and commission work. Probably wouldn't be hard to sign him up.
  • Options
    Just finished Karnak #1. Not quite what I was hoping for. I may give it another issue, but I've got so much in my pile, and it looks like it might end up being a series rife with crossovers. And Zaffino is a better artist than what he showed in this first issue, so that was a bit disappointing as well. I'll probably pass on this one.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2015
    RepoMan said:

"Hmm... Did those immigrant parents sneak in through Ellis Island illegally and balk at assimilation?"

Ahhh there it is. I love when the coded generalizations come out.

And here's the thing - regardless of how Cap's parents came through (there's no proof one way or the other), the Cap that's been portrayed over the years would give benefit of the doubt that anyone trying to get into the country is doing so for good reasons, for the promise this country likes to rah rah promote. In other words, he has more compassion than those with so-called "all-american" values and such.

It's the Ultimate Cap you have to look out for. :lol:

Do actually follow me on Twitter or just troll me?

Hint: no one cares about the topic anymore. Let's move on. I still remember when you were trying to prove that Ma and Pa Kent were also pro-illegal immigration. We totally get that you think anyone who opposes letting people sneak into the country illegally are just "bigoted racists". It's finally dawned on me that if I do run into to any well-meaning illegal immigrants (or those non-existent other types of illegal immigrants), I'll tell them they're welcome to stay at your house @RepoMan
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited October 2015
    The delicious irony is that the bulk of that Captain America: Sam Wilson issue is not about immigration, it is a metaphor about people who don't want to see politics in comic books.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited October 2015
    'No one cares about the topic anymore'. But let me write one more paragraph anyway! Haha

Brack said:

The delicious irony is that the bulk of that Captain America: Sam Wilson issue is not about immigration, it is a metaphor about people who don't want to see politics in comic books.

:lol:

Actually - an interesting thread out of all of this hoopla would be to find all the times Cap DID focus on 'hot button domestic issues'. I would think with comics such as Civil War and characters such as the Watchdogs (domestic extremists), ROXXON (big business) or even Winter Soldier (basically a POW) there are more of those subjects than people think. He's not only about defending the homeland from those pesky foreigners.

• Options
    Brack said:

It is definitely a clever example of a self-aware comic. No doubt Nick is a solid writer.
  • Options
    New titles announced at MCM Comic Con today!

Punisher, International Iron Man, Nighthawk, Hyperion, and a miniseries called X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    r Nighthawk and Hyperion interesting in any way?

Don't we already have Moon Knight and Sentry?

And this is coming for a guy who liked the original Squadron Supreme limited series... but not sure these guys are original enough to warrant their own books!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Steve Dillon back on Punisher seems interesting, and Worst Xman Ever could be fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Punisher, International Iron Man, Nighthawk, Hyperion, and a miniseries called X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever!

Am I the only one that can't picture myself paying $4 an issue for any of those titles?

PS. Anyone hear anything about the new Blade series that got cancelled preemptively? Will it be re-solicited?
  • Options

Am I the only one that can't picture myself paying $4 an issue for any of those titles?
    No, but then, I wouldn't even pay $1 an issue for any of those titles before seeing a preview. Ask me again after I've been able to see a few pages of each book.
  • Options

No, but then, I wouldn't even pay $1 an issue for any of those titles before seeing a preview. Ask me again after I've been able to see a few pages of each book.

So many of Marvel's books don't have previews available beyond cover art and sometimes a few frames. Is that enough of a "preview" for you to pre-order?
  • Options
    International Iron Man looks like it could be good, especially with its Bond-esque cover and Maleev art. Hyperion is a definite maybe, considering how much I enjoyed this particular version of the character when he was in Hickman's Avengers run. Nighthawk is probably a pass, and Punisher I'll read on Unlimited, but I'm glad to see Becky Cloonan getting some Marvel work!
  • Options
    edited October 2015

So many of Marvel's books don't have previews available beyond cover art and sometimes a few frames. Is that enough of a "preview" for you to pre-order?
    I can usually find at least a couple of pages before it comes time to place my order. That's usually enough to decide if I'm going to preorder, wait and decide when it hits the shelf and I can see more, or pass altogether.

I like the Punisher creative team, but I'm generally not a Punisher kind of guy, so I'll likely pass on that despite the creators. The rest I'll need to see more. Not that I need to see what a Bendis/Maleev book looks like, but it's not an automatic “yes” for me because it's likely to be crossover fodder.
  • Options
    I always love Dillon on Punisher.

Not sure yet if I will buy it, or wait for Unlimited. But will look forward to it in either case.

I'm not familiar with Walker's work, and I know the artist is not announced yet. But I like the Supreme Power version of Nighthawk, and I'm intrigued by some of those versions of them being folded into the MU. Another one I will look for on Unlimited.

I'm already getting the first Bendis/Marquez Iron Man book. I will give the second one at least a few months to see how well they compliment each other. The Bendis era of Avengers lost some steam for me towards the end, but there were a lot of years in there when I really enjoyed having both Mighty/Dark/Avengers and New from him each month.
  • Options
    It also strikes me that that, as Hyperion and Nighthawk have always been analogues for Superman and Batman, to give them their own ongoings in the MU is to basically have some 'Superman and Batman the Marvel Way' books in the line.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

PS. Anyone hear anything about the new Blade series that got cancelled preemptively? Will it be re-solicited?
    I thought I read that Blade would be solicited again at a later date. It could have been a DCBS email.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I thought I read that Blade would be solicited again at a later date. It could have been a DCBS email.

Good catch, @Mr_Cosmic. Upon review, my DCBS notification did say, "Will be reoffered in a future issue of Previews," but I'm still a bit curious as to why it was cancelled in the first place. It was originally scheduled to be released in October. Great debut month for a new vampire series.

Hmmm... perhaps they have delayed it as they make plans for a Netflix series or movie? Snipes has been publicly vocal about his interest, even to pass the torch if that's the story.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The Punisher is the first and only thing to interest me. I've had an extended break from the character who's always been one of my top faves. Im ready to get back in. However, if I'm not impressed right away or they turn me off with more of their curent editorial status quo, I'm gone w/o hesitation. I imagine Star Wars will be the only marvel product I buy for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    batlaw said:

The Punisher is the first and only thing to interest me. I've had an extended break from the character who's always been one of my top faves. Im ready to get back in. However, if I'm not impressed right away or they turn me off with more of their curent editorial status quo, I'm gone w/o hesitation. I imagine Star Wars will be the only marvel product I buy for the foreseeable future.

I thought the latest run on the Punisher was great..have you tried it at all? I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Mr_Cosmic said:

batlaw said:

I thought the latest run on the Punisher was great..have you tried it at all? I highly recommend it.
    No I havnt. Havnt read any punisher titles for a while but ready to check back in. So a new #1 will be a good and welcome jumping back on point for me.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm still waiting for my Death's Head comic/mini-series!