Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    RepoMan said:

Exactly.

Ok.

Exactly.... which part?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

I'm curious-- has there been a month when any publisher has met this expectation?

I think, in the end analysis, the results are going to be relative to the consumer.

One consumer might feel as though there is "enough diversity" and get easily upset over Iceman becoming gay, Captain America becoming black, or a female Thor.

While another person thinks they shouldn't retcon or change ethnicity, gender, or sexual preference of existing characters, but that companies ought to make NEW characters that reflect cultural diversity without altering existing characters.

And, then others who absolutely welcome changes to the status quo and enjoy seeing things shaken up.

None are more right or wrong than the other, although each might think the other person is wrong for the way they react to these changes or calls for change.

You can't please everyone. But, Marvel will still probably publish 50 titles to try and cover all the bases.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited August 2015
    David_D said:

I'm curious-- has there been a month when any publisher has met this expectation?

Three black writers? Outside of when DC published the Milestone books, I don't think so, and even Milestone had only three black writers I'm aware of. Image may have had three black writers at some point, but I'm not sure about that. Now, people of color, yes, you can find three people of color writing for those companies at multiple points over the past 15 years or so. That's something, at least.

Kyle Baker said something in my interview with him that's worth considering: “If nobody is doing any comics that are interesting to a black person, then a black person is not going to want to work in comics.”

I'm pretty sure you can find three lead characters who are queer at Image right now. With Marvel and DC, it depends on if your definition of “lead character” extends to team books or is limited to solo titles. Even extended to team books, it's going to be close, I think.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    What's the ratio of Latino creators, writers, artists, to Latino characters these days?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    There are tons of Latino creators working at the Big Two, mostly on the art side. There's a lot of talent in Brazil and Argentina.

Latino characters, not so much. I can only think of four or five off the top of my head between both companies who are at least moderately relevant.
  • Options

David_D said:

Three black writers? Outside of when DC published the Milestone books, I don't think so, and even Milestone had only three black writers I'm aware of. Image may have had three black writers at some point, but I'm not sure about that. Now, people of color, yes, you can find three people of color writing for those companies at multiple points over the past 15 years or so. That's something, at least.

Kyle Baker said something in my interview with him that's worth considering: “If nobody is doing any comics that are interesting to a black person, then a black person is not going to want to work in comics.”

I'm pretty sure you can find three lead characters who are queer at Image right now. With Marvel and DC, it depends on if your definition of “lead character” extends to team books or is limited to solo titles. Even extended to team books, it's going to be close, I think.
    Thanks. Insightful as always.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited September 2015
    Well I'm happy; it might have been the worst kept secret in Marvel. It was like WCW's who is the masked rider story (hint rhymes with Dusty Rhodes).

The way Marvel handled this revelation is a little shot at Loeb's Rulk story. Rulk could have been a really good book if Loeb had revealed Rulk's identity at issue 5. Ohh well at least I had Pak writing Incredible Hercules and Skaar Son of the Hulk (a criminally under rated follow-up to Planet Hulk) at the time.
  • Options
    the comments on the EW site are sad...
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    mwhitt80 said:

Ohh well at least I had Pak writing Incredible Hercules and Skaar Son of the Hulk (a criminally under rated follow-up to Planet Hulk) at the time.

Agreed. That Hercules book was fantastic. Herc had never been anywhere close to interesting for me (except maybe in Champions?), and Pak really nailed it. I'm hoping Herc's new stab at an on-going title will be just as good. (bonus; Gilgamesh!) I haven't purchased Hulk on an monthly basis since I dropped it during Loeb's run. I doubt I'll start now, but I might check out an issue or two just to revisit Amadeus Cho.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Never read below the line.

Nothing good comes from that.

Here's what I know about this Hulk storyline: Greg Pak is writing it. Greg Pak is one of the top 5 writers of the Hulk ever; he wrote one of the best Hulk stories (Planet Hulk). Pak made Hulk family awesome; I'll read any Hulk book he writes (especially if it features Amadeus Cho).
  • Options
    MJ is the new Iron Man!?!?
  • Options
    i think shes just going to work for Stark
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Now that I read the actual article, I get a better idea as to what this image is all about. I actually thought that was Pepper at first. I really really hope Bendis doesn't try to play up a romance angle with MJ.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

bamfbamf said:

Now that I read the actual article, I get a better idea as to what this image is all about. I actually thought that was Pepper at first. I really really hope Bendis doesn't try to play up a romance angle with MJ.
    With Stark's track record, she'll be a notch on his bed post by the end of her first issue appearance!

M
  • Options
    i dont get it...

http://www.newsarama.com/25909-m-day-part-2-could-the-terrigen-mists-mutant-reveal-prove-x-men-going-to-new-world-as-alonso-stated.html

'No More Mutants'...Again? X-MEN 'New World' Tease Takes on New Life After EXTRAORDINARY Preview
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    bamfbamf said:

i dont get it...

http://www.newsarama.com/25909-m-day-part-2-could-the-terrigen-mists-mutant-reveal-prove-x-men-going-to-new-world-as-alonso-stated.html

'No More Mutants'...Again? X-MEN 'New World' Tease Takes on New Life After EXTRAORDINARY Preview

I could see fleeing the mists as the initial status quo for splitting into teams (e.g. Extraordinary X-Men vs. Uncanny or New), but I still think the old idea that this premise is how they are going to separate and sideline the X-characters from the rest of the MU because of Perlmutter's hate for Fox is still bunk.

It sounds like the mists thing might be a story that a few teams with and react to and resolve in their own ways. A temporary status quo. And, sure, it may be trying to convert some X-fans into being Inhumans readers by having a reason to bring those groups into opposition.

But the solicits for Uncanny X-Men don't sounds like they are running away anywhere. The All-New X-Men solicits for December keep them clearly on their road trip on Earth. And from the looks of the solicits, books like All-New Wolverine, the various Deadpool books, and Uncanny Avengers (which still have mutants in the lineup who are still mutants) might not even be involved in the Terrigan mist story.

So, was there any truth at all to the Terrigan mist rumors? I will acknowledge that, despite my doubts, there was. There seems to be a story ahead that involved the mists being deadly to mutants.

But does this mean the rumor that a pro-Inhumans anti-X-Men sentiment bias was going to separate the mutants from the rest of the Marvel Universe by sending them all to the moon or whatever was never going to happen, and is still a ridiculous thing to believe? Yes. Yes, I think it still is.

I don't think this story is a smoking gun. It is just a story. Just as, when the Brubaker/Tan run of Uncanny sent the X-Men into space, it wasn't to try to get rid of the X-Men or part of some larger bit of politics. It was just a story being a story.

And is Alonso and others letting people continue to speculate about this, and maybe presume things that aren't going to happen? Of course. Because that's part of the game.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited September 2015
    @David_D thanks for the detailed response!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/25927-preview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-1.html

Where is Gamora?

This looks like a fun book though!

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

Where is Gamora?

Yeah, I noticed Gamora's absence in one of the earlier teaser images for Guardians of the Galaxy. I wonder where she will end up, maybe on A-Force?

Not sure how I feel about Ben being on the team.
    ... and I still don't like Groot's "new look".
  • Options
    I can see Gamora and Angela being off on their own adventure somewhere.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited September 2015
    The solicits for Contest of Champions #2 mention Gamora appearing there.

And of course, there's the still not solicited solo Gamora book that was announced last year.
  • Options
    WTF?

who is the man once known as captain america?

this looks like random hodge podge

http://www.newsarama.com/25943-first-look-uncanny-avengers-1.html

" Joining the man once called Captain America are Rogue, Spider-Man, the Human Torch, Doctor Voodoo, Deadpool, Quicksilver and newcomer Synapse."

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited September 2015
    bamfbamf said:

WTF?

who is the man once known as captain america?

this looks like random hodge podge

http://www.newsarama.com/25943-first-look-uncanny-avengers-1.html

" Joining the man once called Captain America are Rogue, Spider-Man, the Human Torch, Doctor Voodoo, Deadpool, Quicksilver and newcomer Synapse."

Steve Rogers. He's been that age for about a year or so now. This isn't that much of a change from pre-SW Uncanny Avengers, Rogue, Voodoo and Quicksilver were all part of the last volume. And Rogue's been part of the team since day one.

Duggan had old Steve and Deadpool team up in a Death of Wolverine one-shot last year, and thematically they have a lot in common, if not in personality.

The real question is - which Human Torch is this? Johnny Storm's in Uncanny Inhumans, so is he doing double duty here, or is this Jim Hammond?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Mr_Cosmic said:

From BC concerning The Ultimates:

It’s a rule. The Ultimates series has to be written by a Brit to be successful.

And now it will again, with Al Ewing writing and Kenneth Rocafort snatched from DC Comics to draw the book.

But don’t be looking for Ultimate Universe characters… we have Black Panther, Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Ms America Chavez and Galactus.
    Wait, what? Galactus???

I love Ms. America, and so does my younger cousin. She loves her even more.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited September 2015
    reading up on the Blue Marvel...

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_Brashear_(Earth-616)

ive never heard of him before... so he's like one of the most powerful Marvel super heroes right now?

he's like Marvel's Superman?? besides Hyperion and Sentry?

interesting, but kind of lame...
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

reading up on the Blue Marvel...

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_Brashear_(Earth-616)

ive never heard of him before... so he's like one of the most powerful Marvel super heroes right now?

he's like Marvel's Superman?? besides Hyperion and Sentry?

interesting, but kind of lame...

The introduction of The Blue Marvel in Kevin Grevioux's 2009 mini series "Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel" was actually a pretty good read. If I remember correctly, it was a good concept... The world wasn't ready for a black "Superman", so the government asked Adam to "retire".

Terrible costume though.

His few appearances since then have also been fairly good. I liked the personality conflict with Luke Cage in the recent Mighty Avengers.