Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's The Best Comic You Never Hear Anyone Talking About?

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited April 2012
    Killraven

Another great but forgotten 70's Marvel series. Good writing plus some amazing P.Craig Russell artwork. I discovered Killraven through the deluxe OHOTMU and had wanted to read it for years. Then as soon as the Essential trade came out I had to get it. Ended up reading the entire thing during one long boring shift at my old job. Killraven is a great example of well written science fiction and in some ways reminds me of John Carter.
    I love the Essential Killraven. LOVE IT! I loved when Killraven and the gang visited Battle Creek, Mi.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    @dubbat138 - you had me with this
    Killraven is a great example of well written science fiction and in some ways reminds me of John Carter.
    Will look out for it now.

(this thread is a danger to my wallet...)
    If you can get the Essential trade. It reprints almost every Killraven appearence.

• Options
    Hate

I never hear anyone talking about this classic indy comic of the 80s and 90s. Over it's 30 issue run Peter Bagge writes a great satire of youth culture of that time period.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Hate

I never hear anyone talking about this classic indy comic of the 80s and 90s. Over it's 30 issue run Peter Bagge writes a great satire of youth culture of that time period.
    I've collected all of it.

B-)
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    For me it would be The Red Wing by Jonathon Hickman. I really liked that one and no one I know has read it.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    2000ad.

Although, Mike G has mentioned different stories in the podcast lately. Gawd Bless 'im.
  • Options
    FoneBoneFoneBone Posts: 52
  • Options
    Strangehaven.

It's like a better Twin Peaks. I never hear folks talk about this. Granted, an issue comes out every several years, but it's pretty darn good.

Better Twin Peaks you say. Might have to check this out. I still say Twin Peaks was the best drama every produced for broadcast American TV.
  • Options
    Luther Strode, executive assistant iris, and the Planet of the apes books
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I don't normally go in for ultra-violent stories (in any media), but Luther Strode is quite good, especially the artwork.
  • Options
    My vote is for Supergirl, written by Michael Green and Mike Johnson and excellently penciled by Mahmud Asrar. Anyone who says that Marvel or DC can't create a great comic about a female character isn't reading this. I highly recommend it!
  • Options
    Just finished reading Luther Strode literally 5 minutes ago! It's really, really good - glad I took a chance on it. The artist reminds me a lot of Ryan Ottley on Invincible in terms of how he conveys movement and the hyper-violence on show.

Storywise it's very much a mix of Kick-Ass and Flex Mentallo, with the home-grown hero idea and the "hero of the beach"-style origin. The post-credits scene was a lot of fun too. I'm hoping we see more of Luther in the future.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Supreme Power. I know JMS runs hot and cold for some folks but I thought this series was amazing. I wish I coulda got more of it. Kyle Higgins little 4 issue run was okay but really just enough to get me excited and it was done, too. That was a little bit like handing a starving man a single Ritz cracker and saying bon appetite!
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    edited June 2012
    I would say the Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. I think it's better than Fables and doesn't get enough love (although I do like Fables a lot as well).
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I would say the Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. I think it's better than Fables and doesn't get enough love (although I do liek Fables a lot as well).
    Nick it is funny that you say that. My niece loves unwritten but she has never been a comic fan and has never read anything else but she loves Unwritten an I, embarrassingly enough, the huge comic geek have no idea about it at all. I need to put that on my list. Or at least pick up the first trade.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    Luther Strode, executive assistant iris, and the Planet of the apes books
    I want to read those new Boom Ape books, but I never see them on ComiXology. I'm pretty much phased out paper funnybooks but I still want to read those. I love me some Gabe Hardman.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @Nick @random73 : So far the first 3 trades of The Unwritten have been translated into German and have become bestellers over here. I'd say they are spoken about...
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    @Nick @random73 : So far the first 3 trades of The Unwritten have been translated into German and have become bestellers over here. I'd say they are spoken about...
    They might sell really well, I'm honestly not sure. In terms of chatter at conventions and message boards it seems like everyone is always listing Fables as one of the top books, but Unwritten doesn't seem to get as much love. I hope it is getting it's due since it is really well made book.

• Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Probably one of the most accessible books for both kids and adults...the 'Asterix the Gaul' books. Really hilarious stuff. Huge in Europe but alas...not over here.
  • Options
    Probably one of the most accessible books for both kids and adults...the 'Asterix the Gaul' books. Really hilarious stuff. Huge in Europe but alas...not over here.
    René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo are responsible for my love of comics - in the last 41 years I've read their books dozens of times. And of course every new member to our family got some of the books over the years.

:x ^:)^ \:D/
  • Options
    Orchid from Dark Horse has been pretty awesome.

Aside from Mike on the show...nobody says much about the Executive series' from Aspen. I think those are brilliant.

I just finished Marksmen from Image, and that was a great GI Joe type action series. Very fun.
  • Options
    JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    I believe I expressed my love for this book in a previous thread but I'll say it again -
    When Zombies Attack
    great jokes, still fairly fresh, not enough credit, READ IT!
  • Options
    Supreme Power. I know JMS runs hot and cold for some folks but I thought this series was amazing. I wish I coulda got more of it. Kyle Higgins little 4 issue run was okay but really just enough to get me excited and it was done, too. That was a little bit like handing a starving man a single Ritz cracker and saying bon appetite!
    I loved that series. But as usual JMS gives up before he can write an ending.

• Options
    RadiclusRadiclus Posts: 11
    The Ultimate Captain America Mini series written by Jason Aaron is one of my favorites. There are four issues.

Reading it was making me angry; real angry. The way it ended, pretty much the last dialogue bubble made it one of my favorite stories. A book that can insight such anger and then wash it away and replace it with that inner "hell yeah" feeling is awesome. I can't think of another book that triggered my emotions like that.
  • Options

Outlaws was an 8 issue mini series from DC that came out in 1991/1992. Set in a post apocalyptic world. It is a retelling of the Robin hood story.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Outlaws was an 8 issue mini series from DC that came out in 1991/1992. Set in a post apocalyptic world. It is a retelling of the Robin hood story.
    Nice art!
  • Options

Nice art!
    That is Luke McDonnell. He did the covers the pencils and the inks. I had never heard of the series. Then got a few issues in one of those 100 random comics for 10 buck deals on Ebay. Loved them and quickly tracked down the rest of the series.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The Original Black Cat - this was put out by a tiny company called (IIRC) Re-Collections, which I think was run by Alfred Harvey and/or his son(s) after leaving Harvey Comics. It reprints golden age Black Cat stories (obviously), mostly ones by Lee Elias which were just gorgeous. These are super hard to find though! Only need like 2 more for the short run, but I don't run into them very often in bins or online.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    i agree with Unwritten and Asterix. one series that i latched on to when i was young was also the Tintin series...
  • Options
    The Original Black Cat - this was put out by a tiny company called (IIRC) Re-Collections, which I think was run by Alfred Harvey and/or his son(s) after leaving Harvey Comics. It reprints golden age Black Cat stories (obviously), mostly ones by Lee Elias which were just gorgeous. These are super hard to find though! Only need like 2 more for the short run, but I don't run into them very often in bins or online.

That is a great series. I love all the various series that reprinted classic Golden age stuff. Like AC comics Good Girl Art Quarterly.